Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Mute Symbol (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33625888)

privateb 21-12-2007 14:48

Mute Symbol

Hi guys I have just noticed that there is a mute symbol in the top left hand corner of the screen the tv is not muted and changing channel does not move it.
This is on a v+ connected via HDMI

MovedGoalPosts 21-12-2007 14:57

Re: Mute Symbol

Does it go away if you press the mute button on the remote. Alternatively, if you reset the V+ does tht clear it?

privateb 21-12-2007 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 34456598)
Does it go away if you press the mute button on the remote. Alternatively, if you reset the V+ does tht clear it?

No & No mate

Losttheplot 21-12-2007 15:08

Power cycle the box.

Nikesh 21-12-2007 15:25

Is it a plasma TV? Does the mute symbol go away when you switch the V+ box off and just watch the normal channels (1-5) or freeview?

v0id 21-12-2007 15:33

Do you get sound on VOD stuff?
Is the stb volume set to 0? (Settings >> Display & audio)

Chorlton 21-12-2007 17:41

Do you still have the remote for a Samsung box?
When we swapped to V+ the engineer did not take the old remote with him. My wife uses it with the V+ box and most of the controls work, including the mute. However, sometimes when she 'mutes' it the sound comes back on after a few minutes and the mute sign stays on screen.

hansi 22-12-2007 07:34

The Mute sign you refer to is caused by pressing two buttons on the remote at the same time. Re-booting always clears it for me. Hope this helps.

chrisparr 22-12-2007 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by hansi (Post 34457000)
The Mute sign you refer to is caused by pressing two buttons on the remote at the same time. Re-booting always clears it for me. Hope this helps.

Reboot?

I just put the box in standby and turn it back on to get rid of that mute symbol.

Unless that is what you mean but it isn't rebooting the box. Resetting the box is probaby the closest thing to a reboot.

hansi 22-12-2007 14:25

I meant reboot. Unplug,plug back in and wait............

Losttheplot 22-12-2007 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisparr (Post 34457110)
Reboot?

I just put the box in standby and turn it back on to get rid of that mute symbol.

Unless that is what you mean but it isn't rebooting the box. Resetting the box is probaby the closest thing to a reboot.

Putting the box in standby pretty much only turns off the video and audio outputs. The box continues to process the incoming streams.
Power cycling (off and then on after a few seconds) is the only way to properly reset the box.

chrisparr 23-12-2007 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Losttheplot (Post 34457118)
Putting the box in standby pretty much only turns off the video and audio outputs. The box continues to process the incoming streams.
Power cycling (off and then on after a few seconds) is the only way to properly reset the box.

Yes, and putting the box into standby and back out is all I needed to get rid of that mute symbol.

If that doesn't work for everyone there must me more than one way it can appear.

C

Kaychsea 27-12-2007 14:44

Well we've had our box for a couple of weeks and about the only thing that doesn't work is the mute. If you change channel the sound comes back but the mute symbol stays until you hit mute again.