Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Questions about the Samsung Galaxy S5 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33697617)

MadGamer 10-05-2014 13:41

Questions about the Samsung Galaxy S5

Hey all,

I have my S5 now and I love it, but I have some questions. Is there an option to set a time for the phone to power on and off automatically, and also is it possible to be able to add more contact details like phone numbers under a contacts entry?

Stephen 10-05-2014 13:53

Re: Questions about the Samsung Galaxy S5

Why would you want the phone to turn on and off?

If you store contacts in your google account(online) you can save loads of details. If they are limited to just a number you likely have them saved to SIM.

android has so many cool features.

MadGamer 10-05-2014 15:49

Ah Okies, guess I'll have to power on and off manually. It's nice how it syncs the contacts from google contacts to the phone automatically

Stephen 10-05-2014 15:53

That's what I love most. Never loose my contacts when changing phone and also got them to auto sync on my iPad and Macbook Pro.

You can change the keyboard and and most other things.

MadGamer 10-05-2014 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35696898)
That's what I love most. Never loose my contacts when changing phone and also got them to auto sync on my iPad and Macbook Pro.

You can change the keyboard and and most other things.

That's useful for future reference, should I ever need to change SIM cards again :)

qasdfdsaq 11-05-2014 14:16

Sadly Android isn't capable of turning itself on at a given time like most older phones were. You can turn it off at a set time, but that requires root.

Qtx 11-05-2014 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35696897)
Ah Okies, guess I'll have to power on and off manually.

If you only want to turn it off to stop emails beeping or phone calls at silly hours then newer android versions have a blocking mode where you can set some time periods where you get no notifications or ringing during those hours.

MadGamer 11-05-2014 18:02

qasdfdsaq 11-05-2014 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35697219)
If you only want to turn it off to stop emails beeping or phone calls at silly hours then newer android versions have a blocking mode where you can set some time periods where you get no notifications or ringing during those hours.

I thought "blocking mode" was a Samsung only feature.

Nonetheless you can just put the damn thing on silent. That works on any Android phone.

dilli-theclaw 11-05-2014 21:53

My iPhone goes into do not disturb mode from 9pm - 7am.

Natalie's note is set for the same thing.

Osem 12-05-2014 08:16

Not sure if it's not available on later versions but our Android 4.2.2 phones have a feature allowing you to set power on/off times. The wife sets hers to switch off overnight to save battery power.

Qtx 12-05-2014 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35697306)
I thought "blocking mode" was a Samsung only feature.

You may be right, I assumed it was an android feature as I had seen it on a few phones but they may have all been Samsung ones.

qasdfdsaq 12-05-2014 16:34

Most ICS+ Samsung phones have it, and given the vast majority of Android phones are Samsung, I can see why you'd come to that conclusion :P