Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Sky looking at up to 10% price increases in September (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33693743)

Mr Banana 07-06-2013 17:01

Sky looking at up to 10% price increases in September

Wouldn't be surprised if VM, BT etc follow suite

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1834022

Chris 07-06-2013 17:05

Re: Sky looking at up to 10% price increases in September

:Yikes:

I ditched pay-TV years ago and have never looked back. In fact my eyes water at the very thought of paying that much a month just for telly. You surely can't watch enough TV in a day to get value out of that sort of payment.

denphone 07-06-2013 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top banana (Post 35580926)
Wouldn't be surprised if VM, BT etc follow suite

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1834022

Absolutely inevitable.

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35580928)
:Yikes:

I ditched pay-TV years ago and have never looked back. In fact my eyes water at the very thought of paying that much a month just for telly. You surely can't watch enough TV in a day to get value out of that sort of payment.

l suppose it depends on what way you look at Chris as some people spend quite a amount on alcohol and tobacco and other things so some people who don't spend their money on that obviously see premium TV as reasonably good value each month.

Chris 07-06-2013 17:31

Actually I suspect people are generally fooled by the sales pitch employed by all the pay-TV operators, over many years, which sells 'value' based on the quantity available, rather than the actual amount any one household can consume.

We woke up and made that calculation years ago and were astonished at how much one episode of Stargate SG1 was costing us. We cancelled shortly thereafter. ;)

alferret 07-06-2013 20:55

If it's going up we'll probably ditch it at the end of our contract and go back to freeview!

rogerdraig 07-06-2013 21:12

Same here Planning to go freeview

tizmeinnit 07-06-2013 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 35581118)
If it's going up we'll probably ditch it at the end of our contract and go back to freeview!

A rise above inflation usually gets you out of a contract I believe

rogerdraig 07-06-2013 21:39

contracts up this month anyway think i will cancel and get one of the 1 month rolling bb deals for a bit to see if anyone offers a really good deal or we miss something too much lol

BenMcr 07-06-2013 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35581147)
A rise above inflation usually gets you out of a contract I believe

Depends what the contract is for - generally it gets you out of the bit of the contract that has the rise

Chad 08-06-2013 09:14

Ouch, up to 10% is a sore one. Not sure how it'll impact me being on a 50% off deal however my contract is up in December anyway.

I'll be keeping a close eye on deals from BT and Virgin over the next 6 months. Suddenly BT broadband, with free BT Sports, becomes more appealing than before.

rogerdraig 08-06-2013 14:35

not interested in sports but there are a few series that we like to watch but the savings would make buying box sets a winner ;)

coulsontom 08-06-2013 18:04

Of course any increases will also be added to virgin customers

Sirius 08-06-2013 22:56

If its really 10% and VM reflect that in our prices then its good bye to the movies and sport and hello to increased media centre usage and a large increase in my newsgroup subscription usage.

Chad 09-06-2013 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35581611)
If its really 10% and VM reflect that in our prices then its good bye to the movies and sport and hello to increased media centre usage and a large increase in my newsgroup subscription usage.

Whilst I'm on a 50% off deal with SKY, this runs out in December. I'm already thinking about my options. Do I drop SKY Sports? Do I drop SKY Movies? Do I drop SKY HD? Do I drop multiroom? Do I drop them all? Do I return to Virgin with the first 6 months half price?

The price of TV, broadband and telephone is getting ridiculous. I can see the VIP package, and SKY's equivalent, costing about £130.00 per month within the next 24 months, if recent price increases are anything to go by. £1560 per year is a lot of money. At this rate it's going to become cheaper to go out than what it is to stay in and enjoy the telly!

coulsontom 09-06-2013 01:19

Well the sports/movies increases will be passed to virgin. So VIP will cost nearly £120. if BT sport is offered it could cost OVER £130