Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   US: Violent clashes Charlottesville (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705261)

Mr K 12-08-2017 20:58

US: Violent clashes Charlottesville

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40912509

Quote:

One person has been killed amid violent clashes between white nationalists attending a far-right march and protesters in the US state of Virginia.
It's a mad country. It seems to be going backwards with right wing facists stirred up by a mad President who preaches hate.

pip08456 12-08-2017 21:31

Re: US: Violent clashes Charlottesville

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912160)
[url]President who preaches hate.

Quote:

President Donald Trump condemned "in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and violence on many sides".

"The hate and the division must stop right now," he told reporters, speaking in New Jersey, where he is on a working holiday. "We have to come together as Americans with love for our nation."
Doesn't seem like hate preaching to me.

Mick 12-08-2017 21:34

Quote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40912509

It's a mad country. It seems to be going backwards with right wing facists stirred up by a mad President who preaches hate.

No they have not been stirred up by him at all, he has not said a bloody word to cause the nonsense there today, still doing the usual misinformation as usual....

This is to do with a confederate statue that is to be removed because by definition of it's link to slavery, so, long standing far right supporters have taken objection to it being removed, they were far right leaning, way before Trump became President, so you need to start getting your facts right.

Trump has actually condemned the violence there today and insisted on calm on ALL sides.

Mr K 12-08-2017 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35912161)

It's all very well him saying that in retrospect. Whether it's disrespecting women or making fun out of the disabled, it just encourages the alt-right nutters that worship him and increases 'hate' all round.

Mick 12-08-2017 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912165)
It's all very well him saying that in retrospect. Whether it's disrespecting women or making fun out of the disabled, it just encourages the alt-right nutters that worship him and increases 'hate' all round.

So what about the areas in the world, let's say the middle east, where they chuck people off buildings for being gay ?

Women are not allowed to show their faces, not allowed to drive... this is disrespecting women surely by not promoting equal rights... Yes / No ?

Doesn't this increase hate 'all around' as you say ?

Don't see you condemning these issues. :rolleyes:

pip08456 12-08-2017 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912165)

As he does not have a crystal ball like you how could he have known what was going to happen?

He has condemned it.

Enough said.

Mick 12-08-2017 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35912167)
As he does not have a crystal ball like you how could he have known what was going to happen?

He has condemned it.

Enough said.

Not only this, the confederate issue was kicking off under Obama. When Confederate flags were being pulled down left, right and centre.

These are long standing, deep routed issues in America.

I do not disagree that there are some nutters with extreme views, these need to be routed out and stopped.

But for it to be suggested that Trump is the cause because he is aligned with one specific group, like the far right or the KKK, is totally wrong and inaccurate.

pip08456 12-08-2017 22:26

The latest from Trump.

Quote:

We must remember this truth: No matter our color, creed, religion or political party, we are ALL AMERICANS FIRST.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...81262776360960

TheDaddy 13-08-2017 00:52

Quote:

Pah the facists can't take a joke, nothing wrong with mocking police brutality, inciting violence or obstructing justice as long as it gets a laugh

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0449ed508222c

However imo the Donald's best line was when he said he understood why Ms Huffington 's former husband left her for a man and that he'd made a wise decision, surprised that didn't make the shortlist

Mr K 13-08-2017 09:05

Quote:

David Duke, a former leader of the Ku Klux Klan, hailed the rally as a sign of Mr Trump’s success. “This represents a turning point for the people of this country.

"We are determined to take our country back. We’re going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...o-nazis-bring/

These are the sort of people the Donald has inspired. Yet he refuses to point the finger at the section of society responsible.

deadite66 13-08-2017 09:21

anarcho communists fighting white supremacists, don't imagine antifa are the good guys in this.
left and right extremists are feeding off each other.

Mr K 13-08-2017 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadite66 (Post 35912203)
anarcho communists fighting white supremacists, don't imagine antifa are the good guys in this.
left and right extremists are feeding off each other.

Yes damn these commies, peacefully protesting against Nazi/KKK white supremacists. Deliberately getting in the way of a car driven at them and getting killed/injured...
And the Donald's tweet in response to the alt right actions inspired by him - 'So sad!' . Yes that solves everything Mr President.

1andrew1 13-08-2017 09:56

Anyone who likes to delude themselves that the left has a monopoly on violent protests, please avoid this thread!

Mick 13-08-2017 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912201)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...o-nazis-bring/

These are the sort of people the Donald has inspired. Yet he refuses to point the finger at the section of society responsible.

Both are as bad as each other. He has condemned the violence displayed by BOTH sides.

Where was your condemnation when Antifa started burning buildings, attacking police during the Berkeley, California protests. It was going largely peaceful until Antifa showed up. ?

It's always one sided with you. :rolleyes:

Onramp 13-08-2017 10:07

There is evidence that some of the leftist groups are being "handled" and funded by powerful figures. Since those leftists are being told through the controlled media that anyone right of centre is automatically a racist, it creates the perfect opportunity for underhanded actors to create a "Unite the Right" thing - so that they can paint everyone right-of-centre as extreme racist bigots and shut down everything to the right of the hard-left's viewpoint.

Why would they do this? So that those who control and manipulate dumb extreme left and right groups can deliver their version of order out of the ensuing chaos. Expect protests and gatherings to become illegal. The state will soon have the justification it needs to shut out anything except leftist thought, which itself is simply a tool employed deliberately to destabilize a nation.

I don't think this is just a few nutjobs on either side, I think the antifa groups are being paid in order to provoke a condemable reaction from the extreme right so that society can be remade in a different way.

denphone 13-08-2017 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35912206)
Anyone who likes to delude themselves that the left has a monopoly on violent protests, please avoid this thread!

Left or right they are as bad as each other as there are no excuses for it as all..

1andrew1 13-08-2017 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onramp (Post 35912211)
There is evidence that some of the leftist groups are being "handled" and funded by powerful figures. Since those leftists are being told through the controlled media that anyone right of centre is automatically a racist, it creates the perfect opportunity for underhanded actors to create a "Unite the Right" thing - so that they can paint everyone right-of-centre as extreme racist bigots and shut down everything to the right of the hard-left's viewpoint.

Why would they do this? So that those who control and manipulate dumb extreme left and right groups can deliver their version of order out of the ensuing chaos. Expect protests and gatherings to become illegal. The state will soon have the justification it needs to shut out anything except leftist thought, which itself is simply a tool employed deliberately to destabilize a nation.

I don't think this is just a few nutjobs on either side, I think the antifa groups are being paid in order to provoke a condemable reaction from the extreme right so that society can be remade in a different way.

If there is indeed evidence then I'm sure forum readers would like to see it.

Mr K 13-08-2017 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onramp (Post 35912211)

Why would they do this? To deliver their version of order out of the ensuing chaos. Expect protests and gatherings to become illegal. The state will soon have the justification it needs to shut out anything except leftist thought, which itself is simply a tool employed deliberately to destabilize a nation.

So the white nationalists were actors funded by the media??
Where did you copy and paste that from? It's too loony to be Breibart... I'm really hoping it's not from your own head.

Onramp 13-08-2017 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35912215)
If there is indeed evidence then I'm sure forum readers would like to see it.

Sure, here you go:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/20/george-soros-democracy-alliance-anti-trump-activists-meeting/99417808/

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912216)
So the white nationalists were actors funded by the media??

Not funded by the media itself, but there will have been agent provocateurs delivered to the protest in order to engage in unacceptable behavior for the TV cameras. For every group of people at a march, normally some of the leading figures are working for the FBI, for example, as an "informant". This goes for both left and right. There is no "innocent" party involved here, but I very heavily doubt that every single one of the "right" there were actual, real-life, flag-carrying nazis. All too often, it's the state who go in there and kick things off.

Mr K 13-08-2017 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onramp (Post 35912222)
Sure, here you go:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ting/99417808/

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Not funded by the media itself, but there will have been agent provocateurs delivered to the protest in order to engage in unacceptable behavior for the TV cameras. For every group of people at a march, normally some of the leading figures are working for the FBI, for example, as an "informant". This goes for both left and right. There is no "innocent" party involved here, but I very heavily doubt that every single one of the "right" there were actual, real-life, flag-carrying nazis. All too often, it's the state who go in there and kick things off.

Good God you really do means it ! I blame cable TV and the internet...:erm:

So the 'state' that are behind all this and 'kick it off' would be Donald Trump?

Onramp 13-08-2017 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912226)
Good God you really do means it ! I blame cable TV and the internet...:erm:

So the 'state' that are behind all this and 'kick it off' would be Donald Trump?

No, by the state, I mean the private companies and foreign individuals that financially own the US and most of the west. Trump is a small fish. One man is not all-powerful.

TV is very manipulated. It's no better here than it was over in the Soviet Union. Why would it be? What's "special" about the "west"? Nothing. Humans are human. They naturally group together and form hierarchy based on fear and opportunity. This is all human nature.

Maggy 13-08-2017 10:48

Not to mention all those agent provocateurs who hang around forums and insert their own conspiracy theories..;)

Taf 13-08-2017 11:12

They have their own policies to blame for all of this, especially the Right to Assemble in the First Amendment:

Quote:

Freedom of assembly, sometimes used interchangeably with the freedom of association, is the individual right or ability of people to come together and collectively express, promote, pursue, and defend their ideas. The right to freedom of association is recognized as a human right, a political right and a civil liberty.
So one group should be allowed to assemble, etc. So have their opponents. No matter what they think of each other. Shouting down your opponents is denying them their rights, so the police should intervene.

I do not side with either of the groups.

Mick 13-08-2017 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35912238)
They have their own policies to blame for all of this, especially the Right to Assemble in the First Amendment:

So one group should be allowed to assemble, etc. So have their opponents. No matter what they think of each other. Shouting down your opponents is denying them their rights, so the police should intervene.

I do not side with either of the groups.

Succinctly put. :tu:

Damien 13-08-2017 13:58

They've charged the guy who ran people over: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...otest-violence

Mick 13-08-2017 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35912263)
They've charged the guy who ran people over: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...otest-violence

Good and I hope they get him on terror charges.

Osem 13-08-2017 15:29

Whatever happens it's all Trump's fault. None of this happened during Obama's term and none would have happened had Clinton#2 been elected. :rolleyes:

Damien 13-08-2017 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912266)
Good and I hope they get him on terror charges.

Ted Cruz has called for a terror investigation.

Hugh 13-08-2017 20:27

Quote:

Ivanka Trump
@IvankaTrump

There should be no place in society for racism, white supremacy and neo-nazis.

1.09pm - 13 Aug 2017

Damien 13-08-2017 20:30

The woman who died is known as well: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-protest.html

ianch99 13-08-2017 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35912340)
@IvankaTrump

There should be no place in society for racism, white supremacy and neo-nazis.

Acting President?

Mick 13-08-2017 20:45

What I cannot quite fathom is why leave up symbolism to slavery in this day and age, confederate flags still being left up etc.

When slavery was abolished all known representation to such a thing should have been removed.

In Germany, it is illegal to do the Nazi Salute, if ones own country, in which the salute originated, can outright ban it and make it a criminal offense, then it should be illegal across the world, only problem in the U.S is the first Amendment.

deadite66 13-08-2017 21:14

Sargon of Akkads take on the clash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgccg9xurE8

Hugh 13-08-2017 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912348)
What I cannot quite fathom is why leave up symbolism to slavery in this day and age, confederate flags still being left up etc.

When slavery was abolished all known representation to such a thing should have been removed.

In Germany, it is illegal to do the Nazi Salute, if ones own country, in which the salute originated, can outright ban it and make it a criminal offense, then it should be illegal across the world, only problem in the U.S is the first Amendment.

They don't have statues of Benedict Arnold, so why do they have statues of other traitors?

Chris 14-08-2017 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35912161)

"On many sides". Classic equivocation, similarly used by Corbyn in an attempt to avoid turning against his Chavista pals in Venezuela.

However rowdy the anti-fascists got, they didn't bring out any militia armed to the teeth. They were not equivalent, in their morality or their actions, and to attempt to treat them as such demonstrates which side Trump instinctively supports.

Mick 14-08-2017 12:07

They can be just as bad as each other. Just google Antifa Berkeley, California.

Black lives matter, destroying their towns people property in their own neighbourhoods.

1andrew1 14-08-2017 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35912392)
"On many sides". Classic equivocation, similarly used by Corbyn in an attempt to avoid turning against his Chavista pals in Venezuela.

However rowdy the anti-fascists got, they didn't bring out any militia armed to the teeth. They were not equivalent, in their morality or their actions, and to attempt to treat them as such demonstrates which side Trump instinctively supports.

Spot on Chris, on both fronts. And you weren't the first to notice the similarities between the terrible Corbyn and Trump.

Mick 14-08-2017 19:46

Google cancel Neo Nazi website, Daily Stormer's registration and GoDaddy also wade in and give them 24 hours to find another domain registration provider, for the disgusting comments they made about the victim I'm not going to repeat them here but they are in the source, I link to below.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/14/us...rnd/index.html

Damien 14-08-2017 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912495)
Google cancel Neo Nazi website, Daily Stormer's registration and GoDaddy also wade in and give them 24 hours to find another domain registration provider, for the disgusting comments they made about the victim I'm not going to repeat them here but they are in the source, I link to below.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/14/us...rnd/index.html

I looked it up. Nothing really surprises me with Neo-Nazis though, it's pure hate. They're what happens when all last parts of conscience have gone.

1andrew1 14-08-2017 20:20

Good news is that Trump has finally condemned the white supremacists by name. Bad news is he's taken 48 hours to get round to it. Looks like it took the resignation of adviser Ken Frazier to shift him.

Mick 14-08-2017 20:29

I'm pretty sure he condemned all the groups on Saturday.

1andrew1 14-08-2017 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912505)

Quote:

Earlier in the day, US business leaders joined in the criticism of the president’s reluctance to denounce the violence perpetrated by white nationalist extremists in Charlottesville, Virginia on Saturday. The protesters were objecting to the removal of a statue dedicated Robert E Lee, the leading confederate general in the American Civil War.
On Monday morning, Merck chief executive Ken Frazier issued a statement on Twitter saying he had decided to resign from Donald Trump’s American Manufacturing Council “as a matter of personal conscience”. Other corporate leaders, including Lloyd Blankfein of Goldman Sachs, criticised the president’s reluctance to denounce members of the far-right, many of whom count themselves among Mr Trump’s supporters.
https://www.ft.com/content/2cb0f04c-...2-c5b903247afd

Mick 14-08-2017 20:48

Not sure how that disputes my previous post.

deadite66 14-08-2017 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912505)

The problem the media had with Trumps statement is he condemned the far left as well.

1andrew1 14-08-2017 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912510)
Not sure how that disputes my previous post.

The important two words are in post 40 "by name". If he'd done this in a timely fashion, he wouldn't have been condemned by many people and he wouldn't have a resignation from Ken Frazier to contend with.

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Shocked by some of the flags. I thought these would be banned.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b090964297ba58

Mick 14-08-2017 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35912512)
The important two words are in post 40 "by name". If he'd done this in a timely fashion, he wouldn't have been condemned by many people and he wouldn't have a resignation from Ken Frazier to contend with.

But Antifa and BLM were being just as bad.... are you saying we ignore these groups and allow them to do as they please ?

He gets condemned on a daily basis by the left and liberal media, so another day won't matter.

Damien 14-08-2017 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912516)
But Antifa and BLM were being just as bad.... are you saying we ignore these groups and allow them to do as they please ?

They were not as bad as Neo-Nazis one of whom murdered someone. Jesus.

Mick 14-08-2017 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35912512)

Shocked by some of the flags. I thought these would be banned.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b090964297ba58

You're forgetting America's first amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35912517)

This does not distract from the fact that ALL the groups were being violent, you condemn them all, not just one. Not sure the need to add blasphemy either towards the end of your post.

1andrew1 14-08-2017 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912521)
You're forgetting America's first amendment.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[COLOR="Silver"]

Fair point; it's shocking seeing those flags from Nazi days being paraded in 2017.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912516)
He gets condemned on a daily basis by the left and liberal media, so another day won't matter.

Surely murder's worse than their protests and in an entirely different category of bad?

deadite66 14-08-2017 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35912517)

Won't be long until Antifa kill someone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qKCl9NL1Cg
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...y-trump-melee/

Mick 14-08-2017 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35912527)
Fair point; it's shocking seeing those flags from Nazi days being paraded in 2017.

Surely murder's worse than their protests and in an entirely different category of bad?

Are you suggesting that the fascists set out that day to murder someone. And just so you know I'm not defending them at all here. I thought they were protesting ?

And yes those flags only deserve one place to be, kept in history.

1andrew1 14-08-2017 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912531)
Are you suggesting that the fascists set out that day to murder someone. And just so you know I'm not defending them at all here. I thought they were protesting ?

One fascist has been arrested for murder but until the trial we won't know for sure but it's not looking good is it?

denphone 15-08-2017 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35912504)
Good news is that Trump has finally condemned the white supremacists by name. Bad news is he's taken 48 hours to get round to it. Looks like it took the resignation of adviser Ken Frazier to shift him.

Welcomed but he should have done it earlier but better late then never.

---------- Post added at 06:11 ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadite66 (Post 35912511)
The problem the media had with Trumps statement is he condemned the far left as well.

The left and right are as bad as each other IMO and the sooner some realise that the better instead of divorcing themselves from reality..

Hugh 15-08-2017 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35912572)
Welcomed but he should have done it earlier but better late then never.

---------- Post added at 06:11 ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 ----------

The left and right are as bad as each other IMO and the sooner some realise that the better instead of divorcing themselves from reality..

Could you point out where, during this march, the 'left' had around 150 people walking around with body armour and semi-automatic rifles?

Where, during this march, 'the left' were carrying flags (swastikas) and repeating slogans (Blood and Soil) from a discredited political philosophy that resulted in 'The Final Solution'?

Where, during this march, 'the left' drove a car deliberately into a crowd killing 1 and injuring 19 others?

denphone 15-08-2017 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35912581)
Could you point out where, during this march, the 'left' had around 150 people walking around with body armour and semi-automatic rifles?

Where, during this march, 'the left' were carrying flags (swastikas) and repeating slogans (Blood and Soil) from a discredited political philosophy that resulted in 'The Final Solution'?

Where, during this march, 'the left' drove a car deliberately into a crowd killing 1 and injuring 19 others?

l am talking about the left and right in general in wider society as that was the point l was making in that the extremes of left and right are as bad as each other.

Damien 15-08-2017 09:22

The left have had incidents of violence and you can look at obstinately left-wing governments in Venezuela to see plenty of things that should also be unequivocally condemned. Corbyn was rightfully criticised for this attempts to portray an oppressive government in Venezuela as equal to the people protesting them even though it's true that the opposition seem to have committed questionable acts as well. That is because one side was so clearly worse that it's wrong to draw equivalence between them. We rarely look back on WW2 and say the French Resistance were as bad as the Nazis they were resisting.

The same is true here. There should be apologism or deflection from the fact that there was a Neo-nazi rally. They were not as bad as each other at the weekend. There was one group that were literal Nazis and that should be taken seriously. Someone was killed, it seems, by one of these Nazis. This wasn't a ambiguous alt-right group that object to being called Nazis either. They were proud Nazis waving Nazi flags and quoting Nazis slogans. One reason I would suggest they're so bold is because the average resistance to them isn't as strong which is shown by a President reluctant to single them out for special rebuke.

This isn't about left vs right. It's about Nazis vs everyone else. If there was a pro-ISIS march that resulted in a death we wouldn't concern ourselves with questioning those who opposed them.

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 ----------

And to highlight that comparison Illinois Senate have passed a bill calling for Neo-Nazis to be classed as a terrorist group: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ion-story.html

Mr K 15-08-2017 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35912581)

Very good points Hugh. 'They're all as bad as each other other' cop out, which the Donald initially used, is a lazy/deflecting response to avoid pointing the finger at the real culprits.

heero_yuy 15-08-2017 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912604)
Very good points Hugh. 'They're all as bad as each other other' cop out, which the Donald initially used, is a lazy/deflecting response to avoid pointing the finger at the real culprits.

The left wing rent-a-mob rabble who are intent on shouting down anybody who they disagree with?

Mr K 15-08-2017 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35912605)
The left wing rent-a-mob rabble who are intent on shouting down anybody who they disagree with?

Is that how you are classifying the people that were peacefully protesting against armed Nazi's in Charlottseville ?

Of course there are incidents extreme left and right wing trouble, but that shouldn't be used to ignore what happened there, or to excuse the people responsible.

Damien 15-08-2017 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35912605)

You think they're responsible for the Neo-Nazi rally and someone getting murdered?

No. The people responsible are those who took part and organised it. The person who ran people over is responsible , not those who got hit.

ianch99 15-08-2017 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912521)
Not sure the need to add blasphemy either towards the end of your post.

Joining the PC brigade? :) He used a common slang term for expressing exasperation ..

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

I do think Trumps hesitation in immediately condemning the Nazis in Charlottesville can and is interpreted by these terrorists as tacit support.

Trump just does not have the political instincts to become a statesman in the sense that the President of the US needs to be in today's world.

1andrew1 15-08-2017 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35912635)
Joining the PC brigade? :) He used a common slang term for expressing exasperation ..

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

I do think Trumps hesitation in immediately condemning the Nazis in Charlottesville can and is interpreted by these terrorists as tacit support.

Trump just does not have the political instincts to become a statesman in the sense that the President of the US needs to be in today's world.

Obama's reaction was far more presidential, quoting Mandela.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...remacist-rally

figgyburn 15-08-2017 13:00

If they would leave the damn statues in place where they have been for 100+ years then that would not give these nazi idiots a platform to march about statue removal.But no,the progressives want to keep pushing their agenda of airbrushing the parts of history which they find offensive.Where does this airbrushing of history stop?.Most of these clowns on both sides probably have no clue who Rbt E Lee was.They were mostly just the usual half-wit rent a mob who will demonstrate at the drop of a hat cause it's "cool" to demonstrate/protest in todays social media obsessed world.

Damien 15-08-2017 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by figgyburn (Post 35912641)
If they would leave the damn statues in place where they have been for 100+ years then that would not give these nazi idiots a platform to march about statue removal.But no,the progressives want to keep pushing their agenda of airbrushing the parts of history which they find offensive.Where does this airbrushing of history stop?.Most of these clowns on both sides probably have no clue who Rbt E Lee was.They were mostly just the usual half-wit rent a mob who will demonstrate at the drop of a hat cause it's "cool" to demonstrate/protest in todays social media obsessed world.

So what? We don't make decisions on what we do or we don't do because we're scared of the Nazis. If we've learnt anything from history it's that you cannot appease the Nazis.

Qtx 15-08-2017 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912606)
Is that how you are classifying the people that were peacefully protesting against armed Nazi's in Charlottseville ?

Those peaceful protesters who had batons and baseball bats and were attacking people with them? Plenty of videos showing them attacking first too. Just as bad as some of the other mob.

Even when the car drove in to the crowd, within seconds of it stopping there was a baseball bat and baton smashing the back window.

Not seen this mentioned elsewhere but the car had a cracked back bumper already as it was heading towards the crowd, so I wonder if something had happened beforehand too.

RizzyKing 15-08-2017 13:28

Well seems one statue has been pulled down by some citizens and other cities are going to remove confederate statues and they wonder why extreme right wing is on the rise. Perhaps if they just left history alone instead of rewriting it or erasing the parts they don't like idiots wouldn't have so much ch fuel to fire hatred. The south has it's history and it should be able to learn from it rather then have it erased or rewritten which will lead to it being romantically portrayed by the very idiots they are trying to ignore.

Damien 15-08-2017 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35912646)
Well seems one statue has been pulled down by some citizens and other cities are going to remove confederate statues and they wonder why extreme right wing is on the rise. Perhaps if they just left history alone instead of rewriting it or erasing the parts they don't like idiots wouldn't have so much ch fuel to fire hatred. The south has it's history and it should be able to learn from it rather then have it erased or rewritten which will lead to it being romantically portrayed by the very idiots they are trying to ignore.

A statue is there is honor someone, not to remind them of history. Simply put the objection to the statues is that they seem to be idolising those who fought against the union and for slavery (albeit that's a simplification of the civil war).

But disagreements about if it's right to take them down can be had without Nazis getting involved.

Mick 15-08-2017 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35912642)
If we've learnt anything from history it's that you cannot appease the Nazis.

Same can be said for some of those in BLM and those in Antifa.

Some of those associated with BLM in the U.S, have targeted and shot cops dead, did Obama call out and directly denounce BLM ?

With the shooting dead of several cops, by the hand of a committed black nationalist, Surely the Obama administration should have considered these cop assassinations, domestic terrorism and launched an investigation into groups associated with this ideology?

Did this happen?

Not at all. No, he condemned the shootings, but blamed the issue on 'vicious and powerful weapons' and he instructed his then attorney general, Lynch to turn this in to a gun ownership issue.

There was no demands for the Obama administration to condemn these ideology actions by BLM and call them out for what they did, quite unlike how Trump has currently been browbeaten to do so, with the showing of extremism from the Right.

It works both ways I am afraid, but clearly not from those on the left. :rolleyes:

Damien 15-08-2017 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912656)
Same can be said for some of those in BLM and those in Antifa.

Some of those associated with BLM in the U.S, have targeted and shot cops dead, did Obama call out and directly denounce BLM ?

With the shooting dead of several cops, by the hand of a committed black nationalist, Surely the Obama administration should have considered these cop assassinations, domestic terrorism and launched an investigation into groups associated with this ideology?

Did this happen?

Not at all. No, he condemned the shootings, but blamed the issue on 'vicious and powerful weapons' and he instructed his then attorney general, Lynch to turn this in to a gun ownership issue.

There was no demands for the Obama administration to condemn these ideology actions by BLM and call them out for what they did, quite unlike how Trump has currently been browbeaten to do so, with the showing of extremism from the Right.

It works both ways I am afraid, but clearly not from those on the left. :rolleyes:

How are Black Lives Matter comparable to Nazis?

Mick 15-08-2017 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35912659)
How are Black Lives Matter comparable to Nazis?

Violent...

Pure Hatred Ideology.

Some, not all have Murderous intentions... i.e the cops being slain as demonstrated in my last post...

Vandalism and damage to property.

Is this not similar to a Nazi ?

I don't see how it cannot be...

Damien 15-08-2017 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912660)
Violent...

Pure Hatred Ideology.

Some, not all have Murderous intentions... i.e the cops being slain as demonstrated in my last post...

Vandalism and damage to property.

Is this not similar to a Nazi ?

I don't see how it cannot be...

Well for one they're not a continuation of an ideology that invaded Western Europe and committed genocide against a race.

I think the main difference is the ideology of Black Lives Matter was to highlight the disproportionate shooting of black people by police. People in the group have done the things you state but that's never been supported by the wider group, it's not a goal of the group, it's not ordered by the group.

White Supremacy and the continuing the beliefs of the German Nazis is what these people are behind, they wove their flags and quoted their slogans.

You're taking the very worst of these groups and then comparing them to what is mainstream Nazi opinion.

Also, wider point, I don't think it's helpful to think of this is a right/left thing. It's a society vs Nazi thing. I don't think 'people on the right' should have to speak about these people.

We're in danger of having used the word Nazi so much we forget who we're actually talking about.

Mick 15-08-2017 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35912666)

You're taking the very worst of these groups and then comparing them to what is mainstream Nazi opinion.

I am sure BLM is meant to be a peaceful protest group and I understood their reasons for formation, but it's attracted rogue elements that can be compared to similar instances of those seen in Neo Nazi groups, albeit without the historical symbolism, i.e the Swastika flags etc etc.

Damien 15-08-2017 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912669)
I am sure BLM is meant to be a peaceful protest group and I understood their reasons for formation, but it's attracted rogue elements that can be compared to similar instances of those seen in Neo Nazi groups, albeit without the historical symbolism, i.e the Swastika flags etc etc.

Ok and I am not contesting they have rouge elements. My point is that there isn't a 'good' or well-intentioned Nazi - they're just Nazis.

RizzyKing 15-08-2017 18:39

Statues of confederate figures in the south are a reminder of that time in their history and are just being used as an excuse for the far right to kick off and pulling down or removing statues by other means doesn't wipe the history or the problems they represent. Slavery was a part of the south's history as was their opposition to the then north and there is a cultural aspect as many still relate to that southern history. Nazi's are **** whatever flavour of that disgusting ideology they may follow but if they had just been allowed to have their little bunde meeting they would have just shown themselves for the hate filled morons they are and wouldn't have been any relevance.

Sometimes as in this case protesting against something gives it more attention then it deserves and can have unpredictable and tragic consequences.

1andrew1 15-08-2017 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35912666)
Well for one they're not a continuation of an ideology that invaded Western Europe and committed genocide against a race.

I think the main difference is the ideology of Black Lives Matter was to highlight the disproportionate shooting of black people by police. People in the group have done the things you state but that's never been supported by the wider group, it's not a goal of the group, it's not ordered by the group.

White Supremacy and the continuing the beliefs of the German Nazis is what these people are behind, they wove their flags and quoted their slogans.

Also, wider point, I don't think it's helpful to think of this is a right/left thing. It's a society vs Nazi thing. I don't think 'people on the right' should have to speak about these people.

We're in danger of having used the word Nazi so much we forget who we're actually talking about.

I really don't get why people are talking about other groups so much on this thread.

Nazi supremacists walking round with Swastikas shouting death to the Jews are an offence to pretty much everyone left or right. Attacking them is not conceding points to the left.

deadite66 15-08-2017 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35912729)
I really don't get why people are talking about other groups so much on this thread.

I don't get it why some people here won't condemn violent communists.

i condemn the white supremacists and the anarcho communists, will you do the same?

1andrew1 15-08-2017 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadite66 (Post 35912738)
i condemn the white supremacists and the anarcho communists, will you do the same?

Of course.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

Quote:

I doubt you'll find anyone on here that won't condemn violent protesters left, right or centrist.
How this is relevant to white supremacist Nazism I'm not sure. This sits outside the usual left or white spectrums in my book.

deadite66 15-08-2017 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35912740)
Of course.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

I doubt you'll find anyone on here that won't condemn violent protesters left, right or centrist.
How this is relevant to white supremacist Nazism I'm not sure. This sits outside the usual left or white spectrums in my book.

Because they are feeding off each other and the media needs to call it out.
if they were left alone to march they would have looked like idiots, the counter protesters turned up knowing it would cause violence.
it ends up strengthening both sides who feel aggrieved.

Hugh 15-08-2017 21:44

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40943425
Quote:

US President Donald Trump has criticised both sides for the violent unrest in Charlottesville, Virginia, which left one protester dead and others injured.

There were "things that people don't know", he told reporters.

deadite66 15-08-2017 22:02

good, needed to be said.
but i expect the left wing American media will attack him for it.

Damien 15-08-2017 22:21

Schwarzenegger has donated $100,000 dollars to an anti-hate group.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/esse...htmlstory.html

Hugh 15-08-2017 22:30

Quote:

But at the bad-tempered press conference at Trump Tower on Tuesday, Mr Trump said that those defending the statue had also included "many fine people".

He asked whether statues of former presidents George Washington and Thomas Jefferson should also be torn down, because they had been slave-owners.

Mr Trump's remarks were welcomed by David Duke, a former leader of the Ku Klux Klan, who tweeted: "Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville & condemn the leftist terrorists in BLM/Antifa."
Those "many fine people" were marching with actual Nazis.

Thomas Jefferson and George Washington weren't traitors to the United States, and didn't lead an army whose main reason was to support States who wanted to keep people as property.

Why do some people think statues commemorating those who killed fellow Americans so that others could own human beings are worth preserving?

Full transcript of the statement

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...nscript-241662

This seems an unusual thing to say...
Quote:

REPORTER: Senator McCain said that the alt-right is behind these attacks, and he linked that same group to those that perpetrated the attack in Charlottesville.

TRUMP: Well, I don't know. I can't tell you. I'm sure Senator McCain must know what he is talking about, but when you say the alt-right, define alt-right to me. You define it. Go ahead. Define it for me, come on, let's go.

REPORTER: Senator McCain defined them as the same group.

TRUMP: Okay, what about the alt-left that came charging at us – excuse me – what about the alt-left that came charging at the, as you say, the alt right? Do they have any semblance of guilt?

REPORTERS YELL INDISTINCTLY

TRUMP: What about this? What about the fact that they came charging – they came charging with clubs in their hands swinging clubs? Do they have any problem? I think they do.
Us?

Mr K 15-08-2017 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadite66 (Post 35912751)
good, needed to be said.
but i expect the left wing American media will attack him for it.

See Trump's comments have been welcomed by the Ku Klux Klan, enough said really...

1andrew1 15-08-2017 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912754)
See Trump's comments have been welcomed by the Ku Klux Klan, enough said really...

Trump seems to have gone from buffoon to what many feared - dangerous.

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:21 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35912753)

Us?

The Politico website has now replaced "us" with "[indiscernible]"

Damien 16-08-2017 06:35

Illinois State Senate passes measure designating neo-Nazi groups as terrorists: http://fox2now.com/2017/08/15/illino...as-terrorists/

There will be more of this I think. In the UK we've been designating them as such as well.

The FBI have been warning of this for a while too: http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/08/14/...ts-months-ago/

figgyburn 16-08-2017 08:34

Trump said a few home truths which the libtards just ignore.Washington and Jefferson owned slaves just like Rbt E Lee and Stonewall Jackson.Do they want to tear down their statues to totally cleanse the country of "everybody no matter what political/moral hue"who owned slaves?.Got to hold every one to the same standard haven't we?.The problem is we try to put today's so called today's loose morals(modern day slavery still exists and is flourishing especially Eastern Europe) and try to impose them on a society from 160 years ago.

TheDaddy 16-08-2017 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35912753)

Those "many fine people" were marching with actual Nazis.

Thomas Jefferson and George Washington weren't traitors to the United States, and didn't lead an army whose main reason was to support States who wanted to keep people as property.

Why do some people think statues commemorating those who killed fellow Americans so that others could own human beings are worth preserving?

Full transcript of the statement

Us?

Jefferson and Washington weren't traitors to the United States because no such place existed then, they were traitors to Britain and why was the statue put up in the first place, I doubt very much killing Americans was amongst the list of rationales

Damien 16-08-2017 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by figgyburn (Post 35912779)
Trump said a few home truths which the libtards just ignore.Washington and Jefferson owned slaves just like Rbt E Lee and Stonewall Jackson.Do they want to tear down their statues to totally cleanse the country of "everybody no matter what political/moral hue"who owned slaves?.Got to hold every one to the same standard haven't we?.The problem is we try to put today's so called today's loose morals(modern day slavery still exists and is flourishing especially Eastern Europe) and try to impose them on a society from 160 years ago.

They didn't fight a war to maintain slavery and they're celebrated for the founding of their country.

Mr K 16-08-2017 08:51

What worries me is not the number of extreme right wing nutters in the US, we always knew they existed, it's the number on this forum trying to even defend their actions and the Donald's words. If this is representative then I worry for this country too.

pip08456 16-08-2017 10:44

Quote:

I will condemn anyone who resorts to violence to promote their views no matter what their political agenda and indeed those who oppose them.

denphone 16-08-2017 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912785)
What worries me is not the number of extreme right wing nutters in the US, we always knew they existed, it's the number on this forum trying to even defend their actions and the Donald's words. If this is representative then I worry for this country too.

Their actions and the actions of extreme groups are indefensible end of.....

Stuart 16-08-2017 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35912208)
Both are as bad as each other. He has condemned the violence displayed by BOTH sides.

Where was your condemnation when Antifa started burning buildings, attacking police during the Berkeley, California protests. It was going largely peaceful until Antifa showed up. ?

It's always one sided with you. :rolleyes:

I wholeheartedly agree with Trump's condemnation of the violence, whoever was responsible. I respect the man for making a statement condemning the violence.

However, I feel he may also have shown his own prejudices. He did not mention the nationality, colour or religion of the perpetrators. Had there even been rumours they were Muslim, he would have been tweeting that constantly.

He did later condemn White Supremacists and the KKK, but the fact he waited until a fuss started suggests to me that he did so because he saw it affecting his chances of re-election, and not because he genuinely felt that way.

This is, however, an improvement on his previous form. Previously he has said nothing when any White Supremacist has committed terrorist attacks, even if they are on US soil, while he has done his utmost to talk about IS attacks, even if they are nothing to do with the US. It's also worth noting that he rarely mentions that the attack was committed by IS, preferring to blame the whole of Islam, which is like blaming the whole of Christianity for the actions of the Ku Klux Klan.

I suspect he isn't going out of his way to condemn these groups because he thinks there are a lot of Trump voters in them. This isn't a good thing because if a President thinks that about any group, regardless of that group's beliefs or intentions and whether they can be considered good or bad, that President may well feel that he should help or at least not offend that group. A President should not be obligated in that way.

The same applies to our Prime Minister. Unfortunately, we have a Prime Minister who, IMO, has one thing in common with Donald Trump. She doesn't care much about the country, she care about her own career, and will do anything to further that cause. This is one reason why I feel that neither Trump nor May are good for their particular countries.

figgyburn 16-08-2017 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35912784)
They didn't fight a war to maintain slavery and they're celebrated for the founding of their country.

So they get a pass on "owning slaves"?

Damien 16-08-2017 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by figgyburn (Post 35912839)
So they get a pass on "owning slaves"?

No but Robert Lee isn't being condemned for owning slaves so much as fighting a civil war to, among other things, retain slavery. When the time came to end slavery he didn't just oppose it's abolition but took up arms to stop it. The statues are there to honor his role in that.

TheDaddy 16-08-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35912841)
No but Robert Lee isn't being condemned for owning slaves so much as fighting a civil war to, among other things, retain slavery. When the time came to end slavery he didn't just oppose it's abolition but took up arms to stop it. The statues are there to honor his role in that.

There's a memorial to British soldiers that died in the boer war in Bedford, perhaps that should be pulled down considering that's the war where we invented the concentration camp that cost the lives of so many women and children over there. Another way of looking at it is he took up arms to defend his state and did well in the role given, I wonder which they were honouring when they put the statue up.

Damien 16-08-2017 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35912882)
There's a memorial to British soldiers that died in the boer war in Bedford, perhaps that should be pulled down considering that's the war where we invented the concentration camp that cost the lives of so many women and children over there. Another way of looking at it is he took up arms to defend his state and did well in the role given, I wonder which they were honouring when they put the statue up.

Well I you could make that case. I imagine there will be many of these debates to come here over our history and what we've chosen to honour as well.

In this specific comparison though I think it's different honouring soldiers who died in a war than those who led them. I would be a lot more sympathetic to keeping up a memorial to those who died in the civil war rather than their leaders. In the case of Robert Lee they're specifically honouring one of their leaders who took up arms against their own country, that alone is questionable but when you combine with what they were fighting for you can see why people find it objectionable as well.

Maybe they did put it up because he was fighting for his state but maybe they're better of questioning if they wanted their state to be against the Union and for slavery?

RizzyKing 16-08-2017 20:01

Robert E Lee was a southerner and took up arms to defend that it was an honourable thing for him to do at the time and between that and his achievements as a military leader earnt him the statues. But watch out because here comes the modern world and we better then ever before know whats right and what parts of history we should have and those bits we must erase. A country and it's people are the sum of their past and should learn from it and repeat the successes and learn from the mistakes that's true progression and builds an identity. One of the biggest problems in this world is the loss of identity and it's consequences so far have been anything but positive for us or those countries on the receiving end.

Instead of trying to rewrite or erase those inconvenient parts of history embrace them and learn from them so that everyone can be a little better.

Mr K 16-08-2017 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35912896)
Robert E Lee was a southerner and took up arms to defend that it was an honourable thing for him to do at the time and between that and his achievements as a military leader earnt him the statues. But watch out because here comes the modern world and we better then ever before know whats right and what parts of history we should have and those bits we must erase. A country and it's people are the sum of their past and should learn from it and repeat the successes and learn from the mistakes that's true progression and builds an identity. One of the biggest problems in this world is the loss of identity and it's consequences so far have been anything but positive for us or those countries on the receiving end.

Instead of trying to rewrite or erase those inconvenient parts of history embrace them and learn from them so that everyone can be a little better.

If it hadn't have been a statue it would have been something else. I'm willing to get most of these thugs don't know who Gen. Lee was. You don't go armed with guns, shields , batons and swastickas to peacefully protest ; you go with the intention to hurt people/ cause trouble. Any excuse will do for 'people' like this and they will have been greatly encouraged by the President's response.

Damien 16-08-2017 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35912896)
Robert E Lee was a southerner and took up arms to defend that it was an honourable thing for him to do at the time and between that and his achievements as a military leader earnt him the statues. But watch out because here comes the modern world and we better then ever before know whats right and what parts of history we should have and those bits we must erase.

No. It was not a honourable thing to do. He took up arms to defend the right to own slaves, against his own country, and in doing so a lot of people died. That is not honourable.

Nor is this a 'modern world'. Slavery was been widely accepted to be reprehensible so yes we do 'know better'.

Quote:

Clearly people are not learning if they continue to insist the statues are there to 'learn from history'. They're not. Do we have statues of Hitler to remind us of evil? No. The statues are there to honour history. That's why people have statues. You said it yourself 'between that and his achievements as a military leader earnt him the statues'.

RizzyKing 16-08-2017 20:50

So don't do things which hand them such an easy excuse and Nazi **** or not the agenda of some is the main problem.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

No we don't have statues of hitler we just guilt tripped the west german people for 50 years whilst the east were told it wasn't their fault. So as a child you never saw a statue and asked a question about it my kids did quite often and i answered as fully as i could statues do represent the past they are a part of history and should remain standing. Their existing does not validate the person the statue represents or anything they might and might not have done.