Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   US Timeline : Dark Matter (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33700951)

Paul 16-06-2015 12:39

Dark Matter

Did anyone watch this ?

I thought it was ok as a pilot, I shall continue to "tune in" on it for now.

Somewhat strange to see "Bo" as an android. :erm:

cimt 16-06-2015 13:22

Re: Dark Matter

I did and I enjoyed it. We need more shows in space after Ascension let us down.

Mick Fisher 16-06-2015 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35783311)
I did and I enjoyed it.

Me too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35783311)
We need more shows in space after Ascension let us down.

It sure did.

It would make a welcome change for SciFi to come up with something worth watching. IMO of course.

Stephen 16-06-2015 23:01

WAs alright, seemed to be quite a few reused Stargate Universe sets I noticed.

Paul 16-06-2015 23:40

Well it is created by Joseph Mallozzi, so perhaps he had them in his backyard ready to re-use. :)

Tezcatlipoca 16-06-2015 23:42

It was OK, for a pilot. Nothing special, but the fact that a couple of the Stargate guys are behind it is keeping me interested for now.

cimt 17-06-2015 00:01

I didn't notice any sets that could of been from SGU.

alferret 23-06-2015 23:32

Gave it a go, find it hard work!

Mick Fisher 24-06-2015 18:36

I watched Ep2 :(

I'm in 2 minds as to deleting the series link now.......

Hugh 24-06-2015 18:40

This ^

Mick Fisher 25-06-2015 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35784982)
This ^

After 10 seconds of deliberation I deleted the series link.

There is a ton of great SciFi out there but the SciFi channel is interested in none of it. I think they only consider if they can "make a series on the cheap".

Paul 25-06-2015 21:08

I'm happy with it so far.

Stephen 25-06-2015 22:05

Bored already

richard s 13-07-2015 14:50

Wooden acting.

General Maximus 17-09-2016 11:10

I flipping hate cliff hangers, I want to know what happens NOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Paul 17-09-2016 15:29

Oh nooooooo, 10 months to wait :(

pip08456 08-04-2017 11:08

Dark Matter season 3 premier 9th June.

GrimUpNorth 08-04-2017 14:00

Superb.

Cheers

Grim

General Maximus 19-05-2017 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35893791)
Dark Matter season 3 premier 9th June.

you beat me to it. I have just been watching Buffy on Syfy while I have lunch and they put an advert on for it.

Paul 19-05-2017 16:41

Yep, same day as Wynonna Earp returns.

General Maximus 29-07-2017 22:08

My favourite episode by far and I would gladly have seen it as a two parter. I can't believe we are nine episodes in already, this season is really good. As it is made by the SG dudes it is a shame we can't go for 20 episode seasons.

General Maximus 02-09-2017 09:50

Get your tissues ready........................it has been cancelled. I wish they would let them do a half season at 6 eps to let them wrap up the story line. I hate it when this happens.

Quote:

It’s a dark time for fans of Dark Matter. Deadline reports Syfy has cancelled the TV show after three seasons.

The sci-fi drama follows the crew of a derelict spaceship who awake with no memory and who must work together to survive a threatening voyage charged with vengeance, betrayal, and plenty of secrets. The cast includes Marc Bendavid, Melissa O’Neil, Anthony Lemke, Alex Mallari Jr, Jodelle Ferland, Roger Cross, and Zoie Palmer.

Ratings for Dark Matter have been low for some time. Overall, season three averaged a .15 rating in the 18-49 demo and only 614,000 viewers, making it one of Syfy‘s lower-rated TV shows for the 2016-2017 season.

On his blog, co-creator Joseph Mallozzi confirmed the show’s cancellation and thanked the fans, cast, and crew:

“It is with great sadness that I confirm the news. Syfy has cancelled Dark Matter after three seasons.

To say that I’m incredibly disappointed would be an understatement.

I’ll save my comments and field your questions in a future blog entry. For today, I just want to extend a heartfelt thanks to my amazing crew, my wonderful cast, and to all of you, our incredible fans.

You all deserved better.”

Paul 02-09-2017 13:57

Muppets. :(

Renewed Killjoys for two seasons and yet cancelled this. Madness.

bubblegun 03-09-2017 03:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35914963)
Muppets. :(

Renewed Killjoys for two seasons and yet cancelled this. Madness.

Did they look at the piracy numbers?

I'm sure it got more downloads than those numbers would indicate for viewers.

Paul 03-09-2017 03:17

It had 614,000 viewers for this season, which is more than The Expanse (562,000), and only fractionally less than Killjoys (627,000).

As far as the stupid 18-49 figure goes, it was 0.15, while KillJoys was 0.17 (and The Expanse was 0.18).

Wynonna Earp was also renewed (which I'm pleased about) but its figures were only 499,000 and 0.12. Go figure.

SyFy make some very strange decisions, both Defiance & Dominion had much better figures than any of the above, but got cancelled. Defiance had 1.125 million viewers when it was canned, over 330,000 more than any of their current programmes, Dominion had 869,000, also higher than anything they currently have. Their current best is The Magicians, at 788,000.

Kabaal 03-09-2017 21:08

The creator has written a blog post breaking down the cancellation from his perspective https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...k-matter-fans/

Such a shame it's cancelled but at least he's still fighting to save it, just won't be on Syfy if he manages to.

General Maximus 03-09-2017 21:21

I wish i could win the national lottery so i could give him those 6 episodes

Paul 03-09-2017 23:39

Its unlikely he'll get anyone else to take it on, that just never seems to work.

denphone 04-09-2017 05:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35915139)
I wish i could win the national lottery so i could give him those 6 episodes

You could be waiting a while GM.:)

pip08456 12-09-2017 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35915157)
You could be waiting a while GM.:)

Never say never den.

Joe Mallozzi is expecting an answer today on if another network will be picking it up.

Unlike many series Syfy did not have the distribution rights so Joe is free to pitch it to the likes of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime etc.

He requested the backing of fans on social media to show them the support it has and didn't we do him proud!

He hasn't said who he's negotiating with (I suspect Netflix) but did say he needed the social media statistics to show them and he got that in spades.

His latest blog states he will have a decision today (US time).

I'll post again when he's told us. Fingers crossed!

pip08456 13-09-2017 01:08

OK can't edit my earlier post but here is the fresh news from Joe Mallozzi

Quote:

Alas, that conference call scheduled for today was pushed to tomorrow. But some parallel discussions planned for tomorrow were pulled up to today. Some very positive rumblings but, again, I caution all to temper their expectations. I will say this however – my outlook has improved to “not so negative”.
So too early to celebrate but not time to write it off. It still has a chance.

It ain't dead until it's stopped breathing!

It's also worthy of note that the set hasn't been taken down as yet so still costing money. Joe must be confident to still keep paying for it.

Kabaal 16-09-2017 07:58

Joe Mallozzi and some of the cast; Melissa O'Neil / Two, Anthony Lemke / Three, Jodelle Ferland / Five, Alex Mallar / Four, Zoie Palmer / Android did a Reddit AMA last night.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkMatter/...rk_matter_ama/

denphone 16-09-2017 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35916255)
OK can't edit my earlier post but here is the fresh news from Joe Mallozzi

So too early to celebrate but not time to write it off. It still has a chance.

It ain't dead until it's stopped breathing!

It's also worthy of note that the set hasn't been taken down as yet so still costing money. Joe must be confident to still keep paying for it.

l see you are rather sitting on the fence here pip.;)

General Maximus 16-09-2017 09:00

thanks Kabaal, if I won the euro millions last night I would have funded another season to give them chance to wrap it up.

pip08456 16-09-2017 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35916693)
l see you are rather sitting on the fence here pip.;)

No fence sitting den, I sincerely hope that Joe is successful and Netflix take the show up for the last 2 seasons.

denphone 16-09-2017 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35916719)
No fence sitting den, I sincerely hope that Joe is successful and Netflix take the show up for the last 2 seasons.

Yes l hope that scenario happens as well pip.

pip08456 16-09-2017 13:27

During the organised twitter storm last night Joe uploaded approx 16 season 3 blooper clips.

I downloaded all of them (or think so) and have joined them into one video. It runs just shy of 13 mins.

Here's the link for anyone who wishes it.

Season 3 Bloopers

Paul 16-09-2017 14:58

Dont forget to request Dark Matter on the Netflix request page.

https://help.netflix.com/en/titlerequest

pip08456 16-09-2017 15:38

There's also another twitter storm planned for tonight to maximise UK and European support.

Starts 9.00pm UK time. Follow @DarkMatterFTL to get the nights hashtag approx 45mins before.

Huge selection of gifs & jpgs to use available HERE.

Visual analysis for the hour of last nights twitter storm.

https://twitter.com/fanalysisthing/s...83219507970048

pip08456 16-09-2017 20:22

For those that are going to be joining tonights twitter storm the hashtag is #RaiseTheRaza not to be used before 9.00pm.

Paul 17-09-2017 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35916739)
Here's the link for anyone who wishes it.

Season 3 Bloopers

The link doesnt seem to do anything except display some text.

Quote:

The Public Folder lets you easily share single files in your Dropbox. Any file you put in this folder gets its own Internet link so that you can share it with others even non-Dropbox users!

pip08456 17-09-2017 01:55

Don't know what happened there Paul.

This will work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jh0i1mmgjc...opers.m4v?dl=0

joglynne 17-09-2017 18:26

I love this series and that second link works pip. It's great seeing the actors laughing and breaking up. Watching the series they all seem to be so serious all the time.

I just hope we get a chance to see a decent conclusion to the series. So many areas that still have to be explained.

pip08456 18-09-2017 13:57

I'll be uploading another one later a Joe posted I think 9 more clips during Saturdays Twitter Storm. I just have to download, convert and join. A bit busy until later though.

Apparently Joe is expecting an answer today (probably a.m. UK time)

Quote:

Well, it all comes down to this week. Specifically, in all likelihood, it will all come down to tomorrow...

So, it looks like tomorrow is THE day.

Or it really needs to be with time about to run out on our second stage holding the Marauder, the Ishida cruiser, and our swing sets. Tick, tick, tick…
Link

OK guys got time to do it. Here's the link for the new set of bloopers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynhemupkrm...s%202.m4v?dl=0

There is also this link if you want both sets as one video file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ro0i4r8zy...s_all.mp4?dl=0

This time I've checked both links work before posting.

Paul 21-09-2017 02:28

Its not looking good.

Quote:

Another potential partner dropped out of the running today in our mad dash to save Dark Matter. In the end it came down to money. As much as both sides wanted to make it work, it was clear the gap separating us was too wide. A valiant effort but to no avail.
Quote:

.. we switch focus to our final suitor – a delightful wildcard with a creative proposition. Unfortunately, said proposition comes with its own set of complications, chiefest of which is a timeline that may stretch far past our drop dead date. And yet, if the pieces come together and all the parties sign off .....
..... then we’d be looking at mini-series that would run, depending on budget, between 4-8 episodes
Quote:

In the meantime, time has officially run out on our second stage. I heard the strike team is in place and ready to move.

Paul 24-09-2017 14:37

... and its over.

(From Joes Blog)
Quote:

All good things must come to an end – some much sooner than expected. Sadly, such is the case for Dark Matter

........ unfortunately, I just learned that our final option has proven unworkable due to contractual issues.
:bigcry:

joglynne 24-09-2017 14:45

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/09/2.gif

General Maximus 24-09-2017 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35917740)
... and its over.

(From Joes Blog)

I wish I could win the euromillions so I could be a silent partner for him and give him the money he needs for Dark Matter and future projects. I would love to fund another Stargate series.

BenMcr 24-09-2017 20:27

One is sort of coming, but not from the same producers I don't think https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/20/1...-mgm-sdcc-2017

pip08456 24-09-2017 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35917740)
... and its over.

(From Joes Blog)

Totally gutted especially as Joe and fans world wide have put their heart and souls into trying to get a home for the last 2 series that Joe had envisaged for it.

Was it all in vain? Not really in as much as there are a lot of fans who joined #TeamRaza that have now communicated and still have ongoing interaction with like minded other members they may possibly never have heard of or contacted/followed.

I certainly will be keeping in contact with many of them.

#TeamRaza = family!

General Maximus 24-09-2017 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35917784)
One is sort of coming, but not from the same producers I don't think https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/20/1...-mgm-sdcc-2017

yeah I have seen that before. MGM aren't going to be doing out of the goodness of their hearts though I am hoping that they have an official Stargate store and do a lot of merchandise just like startrek.com does. I was too young when SG1 started to buy stuff like that so I wouldn't mind the opportunity to buy a few SG1/Atlantis hoodies and tshirts etc.

pip08456 04-10-2017 16:19

Want to have a chance to own something from Dark Matter for the cost of postage of a letter?

Here's your chance.

Quote:

Once a show wraps, the production usually holds an industry sale that allows them to recoup some costs and clear the stages. In our case, I thought it would be nice to do something different. A little something for fandom. I suggested to Jay Firestone, President of Prodigy Pictures, that we hold an online auction and give Dark Matter fans a chance to purchase their very own Dark Matter memorabilia.

Well, I spoke to Jay today and he has decided to go one better. He’s not interested in making money off this wind down. He just wants to reward fandom. So, rather than auction off these items, we’re going to give them away. And if you want your very own Dark Matter something, all it’s going to cost you is a little time and a little effort.

We want you to write us a letter explaining what Dark Matter meant to you. Make sure to include your name and address for a chance to win anything from a Dark Matter t-shirt or cap to a costume, prop, or a part of the set.

Joeseph Mallozzi

Pop it in the mail and send to:
Prodigy Pictures
124 The East Mall
Toronto, Ontario
M8Z 5V5

And you’ll be automatically entered with an opportunity to win anything from a G.A. badge to a piece of the set.

Deadline for submissions is November 15th, 2017. Don’t forget to include your mailing address!

General Maximus 05-10-2017 13:40

now that is what I love to see, guys who care about what they do, the message in the series and respect for the fans and the ethos.

pip08456 05-10-2017 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35919129)
now that is what I love to see, guys who care about what they do, the message in the series and respect for the fans and the ethos.

Yep, it makes a change for a company to show respect for the fans but the recent amount the fans have done over the past few weeks has opened his eyes at least.

What I find amusing is that Jay (according to Joe) is only expecting a couple of hundred letters, since that tweet the deadline has been extended!

I dread to think what the postage/shipping costs will be when he ends up with thousands!

I hope you're sending a letter, you never know.

General Maximus 31-03-2019 08:38

Quote:

What happened with Dark Matter? Recently, co-creator Joseph Mallozzi explained why Syfy cancelled the TV show after three seasons.

Recently, Mallozzi addressed Dark Matter‘s cancellation on Reddit, saying Syfy‘s LA division did not support the series from the beginning. Read the entire post below:

“It irritates me too. Especially because I had a five season plan going in complete with character and story arcs (which is why we were always able to set-up and pay off so much as the show went along). But, since you asked, this is what went down…

When we were first pitching the show, the pilot script went to Syfy’s Acquisition division in New York. They picked up the show. But as it turns out, the script had also been sent to Syfy’s Originals division in L.A. – who hated it and passed. And when they found out that the Acquisitions department in NY had picked up a project they had passed on, I heard they were decidedly Unhappy.

Then the show premiered and outperformed most of their originals. Which, from what I heard, really didn’t sit well with Syfy L.A.

Fast-forward three years later and our point person in New York left to go to Netflix. As a result, we didn’t have a champion in our corner anymore. Even though we were the network’s third-most watched show, I heard that not one executive stepped up for us. And, well, Syfy L.A. were never really fans – so we were cancelled. Without so much as a press release or a thank you. We went back at them and asked for the opportunity to offer fans a conclusion, even simply in the form of a two hour movie. They never even answered the email.”
I think that stinks and Syfy can go and **** themselves

Maggy 31-03-2019 09:09

The Syfy channel ceased to be original sometime ago..All they ever show is 3rd and 4th rate rubbish.

pip08456 31-03-2019 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35989246)
The Syfy channel ceased to be original sometime ago..All they ever show is 3rd and 4th rate rubbish.

You got that right Maggy. It all started when they forgot how to spell SciFi.

Paul 31-03-2019 22:37

Sorry but thats just nonsense.

They have many excellent shows ;

Sanctuary
12 Monkeys
Alphas
Eureka
Warehouse 13‎
Haven
Defiance
The Expanse

I could list more.

General Maximus 31-03-2019 22:48

The Expanse is a very poor example given that it is another superb show that they cancelled last year. I am in no way religious but all i can say is thank god amazon picked it up. I think Defiance was cancelled too early as well. I would have liked at least one more season to bring everything to a satisfactory conclusion.

pip08456 31-03-2019 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35989363)

Sanctuary
12 Monkeys
Alphas
Eureka
Warehouse 13‎
Haven
Defiance
The Expanse

I could list more.

Good example Paul.
Sanctuary, cancelled after 4 seasons.
12 Monkeys, cancelled after 4 seasons.
Alphas, cancelled after 2 seasons.
Eureka, at least managed 5 seasons. (the accepted story arc).
Warehouse 13, cancelled and one of the few to be informed so it could wrap the story arc with a 3 ep season 5.
Haven, one of the few that managed to make it to the end.
Defiance, cancelled after 3 seasons.
The Expanse, I think you know where that's going (or gone).

So yes, they have had many excellent shows and cancelled most of them before the story arc has been finished or without allowing a mini series wrap up.

I could list more.

Maggy 31-03-2019 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35989363)

Sanctuary
12 Monkeys
Alphas
Eureka
Warehouse 13‎
Haven
Defiance
The Expanse

I could list more.

But their output is now abysmal..

Paul 01-04-2019 03:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35989365)
So yes, they have had many excellent shows and cancelled most of them before the story arc has been finished or without allowing a mini series wrap up.

I could list more.

All shows get cancelled, nothing lasts forever and almost no cancelled show ever gets a "mini series wrapup".

Since none of that is in anyway unique to SyFy I fail to see what point you are trying to make.

SyFy make (and made) a lot of good shows.

General Maximus 01-04-2019 08:00

To be fair I haven't seen a couple of those series like Warehouse 13 or Haven but cancelled or not, the only series on that list that ended properly was 12 Monkeys. It was cancelled in advance of the final season and they were able to map the whole thing out properly and give it a proper ending. I really enjoyed that series and every episode counted.

denphone 01-04-2019 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35989367)
But their output is now abysmal..

They are showing a lot of much older SciFi series currently.

General Maximus 01-04-2019 08:29

it is a shame because you would think they would want to be the champion of all things scifi and I think in the next couple of years it is going to be a redundant channel as Netflix and Amazon are going to surpass them in both quantity and quality of content.

denphone 01-04-2019 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35989385)
it is a shame because you would think they would want to be the champion of all things scifi and I think in the next couple of years it is going to be a redundant channel as Netflix and Amazon are going to surpass them in both quantity and quality of content.

There certainly have up their output or they won't be around much longer one suspects.

Paul 01-04-2019 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35989380)
To be fair I haven't seen a couple of those series like Warehouse 13 or Haven but cancelled or not, the only series on that list that ended properly was 12 Monkeys. It was cancelled in advance of the final season and they were able to map the whole thing out properly and give it a proper ending. I really enjoyed that series and every episode counted.

Both were good shows, and both knew they were ending, so wrapped up.