Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Weird electrical problem - epilator (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704199)

Osem 26-12-2016 10:24

Weird electrical problem - epilator

Mrs Osem's trusty epilator has been playing up for a while. Essentially it started refusing to come on a few weeks ago. It has no batteries to check but I fiddled with it for a while, cleaned the head properly, checked the power cord and operated the on/off switch repeatedly to see if it could be a loose connection or something like that. Whilst doing this, it suddenly started so I thought the switch might be the root of the problem. Since then, however, the problem has remained except that we've discovered, quite by chance, that if we plug it in and just leave it switched on it'll suddenly start on its own after 5-10 mins. I'm puzzled as to what might be causing this, anyone got any ideas?*

* sensible please ;)

Taf 26-12-2016 12:48

Re: Weird electrical problem - epilator

Get her a petrol one?

http://www.murley.co.uk/pictures/con...l_strimmer.jpg

I reckon it could be the cord is damaged internally. Can you meter the innards to see if power is there when it is not running?

Osem 26-12-2016 13:04

Tks Taf :D

Can't find an obvious way of opening it up. What's odd is that it'll always start up when plugged in but it takes 5-10 mins before it does. For safety reasons she never leaves it plugged in unless she's in the same room but once it gets going it works perfectly and the on/off switch seems to function normally. :shrug:

Paul 26-12-2016 13:47

Am I the only one who had to look up "epilator" ?

SnoopZ 26-12-2016 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35877795)
Am I the only one who had to look up "epilator" ?

I was clueless too..

Taf 26-12-2016 14:59

Second thing to suspect is a failing start / run capacitor if it has one or the other.

Osem 26-12-2016 19:23

Cheers Taf. I know it's likely not something I can repair but there's always a chance.

Can't believe these guys who don't know what an epilator is... :erm: :)

Taf 26-12-2016 19:39

I seem to remember there being a requirement to lubricate some brands.

Does the motor run properly with the head removed?

http://www.epilatorcentral.com/how-t...-6-easy-steps/

Mr K 26-12-2016 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35877834)

Ahhh, that's what it is ;)

Osem 26-12-2016 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35877834)

Does the motor run properly with the head removed?

http://www.epilatorcentral.com/how-t...-6-easy-steps/

I wondered about the head and moving parts so gave them a good clean before applying some silicone spray. None of the moving parts on the body of the machine were fouled so far as I could tell, they all moved freely and attaching the head doesn't seem to alter anything.

Osem 30-12-2016 09:39

Quote:

Posted by Heero_yuy: Yeah, I saw your posting. You need to find out if the motor is powered through some kind of power supply that reduces the voltage. I guess that's where the trouble lies but unless you have the right kit it may be difficult to find the problem. Probably some kind of dry joint that makes contact after a while as the unit heats up internally.

Seem to have a similar problem with an LED filament bulb at the moment.
It does require an adaptor so I guess the fault could be in there as opposed to the actual epilator unit. The adaptor states it's 13v 400ma (sec) so presumably if I could find something similar around the house which physically fits the socket on the unit we could try that and see if it solves the problem. Maybe we could even chop off the lead from the adaptor and connect it to another of similar output?

heero_yuy 30-12-2016 11:45

Any adaptor that is 12-14v and at least the 400ma would do the job. Check whether it is AC or (Probably) DC. Even if it's just for a test to see if the problem is in the adaptor.

Given that it works after a period of time you can also try leaving the adaptor plugged in and ON and sometime later plug the epilator into it. If it works immediatly it would point to the adaptor.

Osem 30-12-2016 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35878361)
Any adaptor that is 12-14v and at least the 400ma would do the job. Check whether it is AC or (Probably) DC. Even if it's just for a test to see if the problem is in the adaptor.

Given that it works after a period of time you can also try leaving the adaptor plugged in and ON and sometime later plug the epilator into it. If it works immediatly it would point to the adaptor.

Good idea. :tu:

I'm so used to having no problems with adaptors that I hadn't even thought of that possibility.

heero_yuy 30-12-2016 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35878376)
Good idea. :tu:

I'm so used to having no problems with adaptors that I hadn't even thought of that possibility.

The older ones with an iron cored transformer (heavy and big) were pretty bomb proof but todays are mostly electronic and the quality is variable at best.

I had one that came with an antenna amplifier and it lasted all of 1/2hr before it fizzed and died

Osem 30-12-2016 13:33

Well it worked mate. :tu: :) :tu:

Plugged in the adaptor and tried the epilator after 10 mins and it worked so it seems that the problem lies there. For now she'll be able to use it now simply by just plugging it in a few minutes before she needs it. In the longer term I'll have a look around for similar adaptors and see if I can find something suitable lying around or buy one.

The details are:

Pri: 100-240v ac, 50-60hz, 7.5w.
Sec: 13v, 400ma.

I can't see anything on the adaptor regarding the polarity of the tip so do I assume it doesn't matter?

Replacement Philips epilators of this quality aren't cheap so even buying a new adaptor might be justified.