Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702913)

Martin_D 30-11-2016 11:05

Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Game-changing Virgin TV launch

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...h/ba-p/3269538

jcm193 30-11-2016 11:10

As a customer with a foot in both camps having a sky Q Silver, virgin broadband, telephone and a Tivo, I have to say am disappointed with the V6, yes its 4K but only for YouTube and netfllix I get that on my Samsung smart tv. Virgin should be negotiating carriage deals for before releasing a 4K capable box to its customers

MisterQ 30-11-2016 11:11

£299 for a tablet to watch tv. WOW. Game changer.

Ultimate.Conj 30-11-2016 11:17

I'm on VIP - £50 is a lot better than I though it would be, great news.

BenMcr 30-11-2016 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcm193 (Post 35872665)
Virgin should be negotiating carriage deals for before releasing a 4K capable box to its customers

Why?

Sky Q was launched without any 4K content, and it took months before any appeared as far as I'm aware and also required a software update.

V6 will launch with access to Netflix 4K from day one, and I'm sure that there will be additional 4K deals coming next year.

But at the moment most of the UK generated 4K content is from Sky and BT, who have their own 4K services that they want to use that content to promote.

jcm193 30-11-2016 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35872668)
Why?

Sky Q was launched without any 4K content, and it took months before any appeared as far as I'm aware and also required a software update.

V6 will launch with access to Netflix 4K from day one, and I'm sure that there will be additional 4K deals coming next year.

But at the moment most of the UK generated 4K content is from Sky and BT, who have their own 4K services that they want to use that content to promote.

I understand that but that 4K content is available now it would of been nice if virgin could of brought it to its customers in one shape or another

BenMcr 30-11-2016 11:28

Because that content is Sky and BT exclusive as far as I'm aware.

Virgin Media don't have any option of showing it as Sky and BT want to keep it for their own services.

Ultimate.Conj 30-11-2016 11:36

I saw in a few posts above that other 4K programming would be coming soon, so I guess they are working on it.

mike_gain 30-11-2016 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterQ (Post 35872666)
£299 for a tablet to watch tv. WOW. Game changer.

The concept is a bit of a game changer but I think the price will put off the target market.....cheaper to buy a bog standard tablet or even a 2nd tv.

I fear this will be an opportunity missed.

denphone 30-11-2016 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35872670)
Because that content is Sky and BT exclusive as far as I'm aware.

Virgin Media don't have any option of showing it as Sky and BT want to keep it for their own services.

Indeed Virgin can only negotiate when the other party involved wants to do it.

DiveSheep 30-11-2016 11:44

According to David Bouchier:
"Do we see a significant demand sitting here in 2016 for a large amount of 4K programming by the majority of our subscriber base? No we don't.
We would quite happily put the 4K football matches on if we felt that this was something that our customers were saying."
VM, I want 4K football matches, and I want it now (well, when V6 box actually launches)!

RB2004 30-11-2016 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj (Post 35872667)
I'm on VIP - £50 is a lot better than I though it would be, great news.

Indeed, for that im going to be ditching all 3 of my refurbished TiVo boxes.

The last one has proved to be a load of rubbish and keeps failing because its 2nd hand and virgin keeps putting suspicion on me... in lounge had 2 this year so far! original one lasted since launch in 2012, and other new box has also been nothing but reliable.

MisterQ 30-11-2016 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_gain (Post 35872673)
The concept is a bit of a game changer but I think the price will put off the target market.....cheaper to buy a bog standard tablet or even a 2nd tv.

I fear this will be an opportunity missed.

No doubt it will be like smartphones, where only a very limited range of tablets will work with proper functionality.

Ultimate.Conj 30-11-2016 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiveSheep (Post 35872675)
According to David Bouchier:
"Do we see a significant demand sitting here in 2016 for a large amount of 4K programming by the majority of our subscriber base? No we don't.
We would quite happily put the 4K football matches on if we felt that this was something that our customers were saying."
VM, I want 4K football matches, and I want it now (well, when V6 box actually launches)!

Yes mate, I want 4K football matches too. I'm greedy, I'd like 4K movies too lol

BenMcr 30-11-2016 11:47

And how much extra per month would you be willing to pay for 4K Football, because there is no way I can see that it would be an inclusive addition to any of the current bundle options.