Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Moving from Sky to Virgin (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684230)

mmace 30-12-2011 14:09

Moving from Sky to Virgin

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, I couldn't find the appropriate forum here or on the official VM forums

I'm thinking about moving Sky TV/Phone/Broadband to Virgin
1) Do I order Virgin first and then cancel Sky?
I'm wanting to do it with minimum downtime for broadband/TV
what's the best way to do this?

2) any deals around for Virgin?
I currently pay £62 a month, that's phone line rental, free evening and weekend calls, unlimited broadband, TV (all "Sky World" channels [all except sport and movies]) and HD
If I look on Virgin it's a couple of quid more with 30Mb broadband and TiVo box (500Gb), would prefer it cheaper if possible. Would go 10Mb BB but I know I will probably go over their limits on an evening and have speed reduced to 25% which is why I'd want 30Mb as I'd still be getting 7.5Mb which is what I'm on now with Sky

any help appreciated

Kymmy 30-12-2011 14:12

Re: Moving from Sky to Virgin

Welcome to the forum, I've moved your post to the installation forum where you should get better answers

arcimedes 30-12-2011 14:18

Order Virgin first then cancel Sky after the install as there is always the risk that there may be a problem installing the cable.

mmace 30-12-2011 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcimedes (Post 35352580)
Order Virgin first then cancel Sky after the install as there is always the risk that there may be a problem installing the cable.

I was hoping to avoid paying both but think this may be best as there's only the line rental for 3 months with Virgin I suppose

Matth 30-12-2011 23:08

What speed are you getting out of Sky broadband?
VM have Tivo and TV ctachup, VOD to your TV that doesn't use broadband quota, and broadband speed that is not dependent on your distance from the exchange.

Sky say and do unlimited, and have channels that VM don't

Unless your BB speed with Sky is unsatisfactory, you may be better off where you are.

muppetman11 02-01-2012 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matth (Post 35352745)
What speed are you getting out of Sky broadband?
VM have Tivo and TV ctachup, VOD to your TV that doesn't use broadband quota, and broadband speed that is not dependent on your distance from the exchange.

Sky say and do unlimited, and have channels that VM don't

Unless your BB speed with Sky is unsatisfactory, you may be better off where you are.

I would echo that sentiment , it's worth also mentioning that Sky are believed to be ready to announce a Fibre product sometime in 2012 although it's not been 100% confirmed.

mmace 03-01-2012 11:57

cheers guys. I only get around 4Mbps with Sky which isn't good!

Matth 08-01-2012 01:06

Ah. Is that expected according to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker
If you're doing a lot worse than expected, maybe a bell wire breaker (I-plate) could improve things, if you have extension wiring.

And have a good check for any missing microfilters - the base unit of a cordless set is one I've seen forgotten, also answering machine, extra bell, dialup modem - and, of course, Sky box.

bubblegun 16-01-2012 02:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmace (Post 35352578)
2) any deals around for Virgin?
I currently pay £62 a month, that's phone line rental, free evening and weekend calls, unlimited broadband, TV (all "Sky World" channels [all except sport and movies]) and HD
If I look on Virgin it's a couple of quid more with 30Mb broadband and TiVo box (500Gb), would prefer it cheaper if possible. Would go 10Mb BB but I know I will probably go over their limits on an evening and have speed reduced to 25% which is why I'd want 30Mb as I'd still be getting 7.5Mb which is what I'm on now with Sky.

You should only be paying £55 for that so £7 must be phone calls on top, right? Remember that you'll still have this on top of your virgin bill too.