Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : TV Wars: ITV VS Virgin Media (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704899)

Maggy 17-05-2017 08:30

Re: TV Wars: ITV VS Virgin Media

Well that would reduce the amount of repeated shows at one swoop.

Mr Banana 17-05-2017 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35899079)
If this happens then Virgin will lose a lot of customers!

Why, people will just plug there aerial in and hey presto, you have ITV. Enough programs are time shirted to ensure you don't miss anything.

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35899103)
So the PSB's want retransmission fees off the pay TV platforms whilst enjoying EPG prominence on these platforms. Seems a little unfair to me.

VM should go back and say guess what we are blocking ITV from transmitting over our broadband network, unless you pay us 40 million as you currently get that service free of charge.

Inactive Digital 17-05-2017 12:54

There are a lot of people who would like Amazon Prime on Tivo/V6 so that they have all their TV, on demand and streaming services on one box.

Imagine the uproar if ITV wasn't available on the box either. Does the proposed legislation amend the requirement to give channels prominence (which is subjective) in EPGs

Mad Max 17-05-2017 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35899162)
Why, people will just plug there aerial in and hey presto, you have ITV. Enough programs are time shirted to ensure you don't miss anything.

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

VM should go back and say guess what we are blocking ITV from transmitting over our broadband network, unless you pay us 40 million as you currently get that service free of charge.

Not everyone has an aerial!

OLD BOY 17-05-2017 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35899212)
Not everyone has an aerial!

I think most do, though.

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 35899210)

There are a lot of people who would like Amazon Prime on Tivo/V6 so that they have all their TV, on demand and streaming services on one box.

Imagine the uproar if ITV wasn't available on the box either.
Does the proposed legislation amend the requirement to give channels prominence (which is subjective) in EPGs

That would annoy me too - totally the wrong direction to go.

nodrogd 19-05-2017 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35899162)

So Sky have boxes that cannot block FTA channels (only remove them from the EPG) so their customers just manually tune their boxes to access ITV. BT & all VM's other IPTV competitors use a hybrid Freeview based systems that can't avoid carrying ITV. If VM switch the service off they will be the odd one out, & will no doubt get a barrage of complaints from people with no other access to the channel. There are enough people that moan already about VM not carrying all the English BBC/ITV regions "like Sky do".

buckeye 19-05-2017 15:33

The answer is simple, if ITV want retransmission fees put their channels behind a paywall and let people decide if they want to pay for them or not.

I would hazard a guess they would soon go cap in hand back to VM begging for the previous access they had to the network and EPG.

Raider999 19-05-2017 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 35899523)
The answer is simple, if ITV want retransmission fees put their channels behind a paywall and let people decide if they want to pay for them or not.

I would hazard a guess they would soon go cap in hand back to VM begging for the previous access they had to the network and EPG.

And charge them carriage fees.

Hom3r 20-05-2017 20:10

No more ITV bring it on.

No X-Factor, BGT, Take me out, Catchphrase, The Chase, Five gold rings, Big head.

Oh I'm really going to miss them. NOT

Mad Max 21-05-2017 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35899683)
No more ITV bring it on.

No X-Factor, BGT, Take me out, Catchphrase, The Chase, Five gold rings, Big head.

Oh I'm really going to miss them. NOT

That's not everything they show, is it?

TheDaddy 21-05-2017 04:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35899084)
I thought the main channels (BBC1, BBC2 & ITV) had to be provided free ?

It would also be very short sighted of ITV to cut themselves off from viewers (advertisers would not be happy).

Sky weren't allowed to show itv channels years ago, we made a big deal out of it at ondigital at the time

denphone 21-05-2017 05:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35899729)
That's not everything they show, is it?

No l do have some good series here and there.;)