Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703961)

amarkr 23-03-2017 14:03

Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Judging by BenMcr previous responses here and in the VM community - if you go into Modem mode (or shut off the 2.4Ghz wireless), you will opt yourself out (and not be able to blag your neighbours wi-fi),whether you have done it thru MyVM or not.

Interesting whether this applies to SHUB/SHUB2/SHUB2ac that dont currently have the abililty to offer access in the first place.

BenMcr 23-03-2017 14:12

No, it doesn't apply apply to a 1 / 2 / or 2ac as they aren't currently capable of being part of the Virgin Media WiFi network.

Gobble 23-03-2017 14:43

So the whole putting your router into modem mode being automatically out is a terrible idea.

Kushan 23-03-2017 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobble (Post 35891423)
So the whole putting your router into modem mode being automatically out is a terrible idea.

I don't think this is deliberate, I think it's more of a technical limitation of how Modem mode works.

I won't be putting my hub back into router mode any time soon, but I'd have been more than happy for it to broadcast the Virgin public Wifi network while IN modem mode. I just don't think it's feasible from Virgin's end.

Shame it locks us out, really.

Synthetic 23-03-2017 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35891427)
I don't think this is deliberate, I think it's more of a technical limitation of how Modem mode works.

I won't be putting my hub back into router mode any time soon, but I'd have been more than happy for it to broadcast the Virgin public Wifi network while IN modem mode. I just don't think it's feasible from Virgin's end.

Agreed, I'd be happy to broadcast too but not at the expense of losing modem mode.

Skie 25-03-2017 21:20

Quote:

It's more than capable of handling it. Modem mode is just a software config that disables a few features that could just as easily be enabled for the wifi service whilst leaving the one enabled LAN port router-less.

Unless of course the DHCP, routing and other services on the customer side are shared by the public wifi side, which would be worrying from a security perspective.

Gobble 27-03-2017 08:38

Quote:

I guess what I mean is that if they allow you to use the WiFi if you're on a 2, 2ac even though you're not sharing (because it's out of your control). They should honor the same for those who want to use their own equipment. Might I add, if the Hub 3 was up to doing the tasks of my needs, then I wouldn't need to use another router.

Aye Up 28-03-2017 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35890728)
That would require an external aerial outside the shielded steel cabinet. I think that would require Planning Permission.

No it wouldn't, technology is sufficiently advanced that the antenna could be placed inside the cabinet. BT do this in areas around London, from their roadside cabinets and phone boxes. If the antenna is fixed inside the cabinet no additional planning permission would be needed and even then were it placed outside it would likely not require enhanced permission either.

Taf 28-03-2017 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aye Up (Post 35892108)
No it wouldn't, technology is sufficiently advanced that the antenna could be placed inside the cabinet. BT do this in areas around London, from their roadside cabinets and phone boxes. If the antenna is fixed inside the cabinet no additional planning permission would be needed and even then were it placed outside it would likely not require enhanced permission either.

Try getting a signal out of a shielded steel box.

And do you think local yobs would ignore a small aerial sticking out of the top of a street cabinet? No, they would have to be raised out of harm's way, and that would require a pole or mast. And that would require planning permission. My background include several years in the Home Office Directorate of Telecommunications, where questions like this were commonplace.

copernob 30-03-2017 00:30

Lets see if I got this correct then...If I allow VM to use my Hub for outside Wi-Fi I can use on Virgin Media Mobile.

I NOT on virgin media mobile. I on Tesco, can I still use it if I allow my Hub.

BenMcr 30-03-2017 07:19

Anyone with either Virgin Media broadband or a Virgin Media mobile SIM can use Virgin Media WiFi on a compatible device by downloading the Virgin Media WiFi app.

If you have a Virgin Media SIM, then access is authorised in the app via the SIM in your device.

For Virgin Media broadband customers it's authorised in the app via your My Virgin Media login. This means as a broadband customer you can use it with mobile devices from other mobile providers.

If you're a Virgin Media broadband customer with a Hub 3.0, you have to have you Hub 3.0 in router mode, and opted in as part of the Virgin Media WiFi network (if given the choice) in order to use the Virgin Media WiFi service.

Mr K 30-03-2017 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35892379)
If you're a Virgin Media broadband customer with a Hub 3.0, you have to have you Hub 3.0 in router mode, and opted in as part of the Virgin Media WiFi network (if given the choice) in order to use the Virgin Media WiFi service.

And if you haven't got a hub 3 you won't be able to use this service?
Surely not the customers fault if they haven't , they pay the same ?

BenMcr 30-03-2017 11:16

Where did I say that? Any broadband customer can use the service as long as they can install the app on their device.

Broadband customers with a Hub 3.0 have an additional requirement to have their kit opted in to broadcasting the Virgin Media WiFi wireless network.

I'm pretty sure that this has already been discussed several times on this thread.

Synthetic 30-03-2017 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35892421)
Where did I say that? Any broadband customer can use the service as long as they can install the app on their device.

Broadband customers with a Hub 3.0 have an additional requirement to have their kit opted in to broadcasting the Virgin Media WiFi wireless network.

I'm pretty sure that this has already been discussed several times on this thread.

And in router mode yeah? It's a bit unfair we don't have the option if we're in modem mode... once again that's not our fault if Virgin can't make it work in some kind of hybrid router/modem mode.

BenMcr 30-03-2017 14:36

Yes, sorry I said that above, but not in reply.

The requirements to use Virgin Media WiFi when you have a Hub 3.0 are:

Opted in
In Router Mode
2.4GHz switched on

If or when the 2ac is added to the wireless network these requirements would apply to customers with the 2ac as well.

All Hub 3.0 customers have or will get information that explains the addition of their Hub 3.0 to Virgin Media WiFi.