Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703961)

Synthetic 04-03-2017 13:48

Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Interesting, I wonder when they'll be looking at a full on roll out.

Also did someone say it'd be a 50meg connection?

BenMcr 04-03-2017 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 35888484)
Is the "Public WiFi" Traffic tunneled off somewhere or at least on a different Vlan/External IP interface than the private network traffic?

I'm not wanting to deal with the crap that would follow if someone on the "Public" side decided to access something they shouldn't.

They are completely separate.

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 35888502)

It's 20Mbps allocated per Hub I believe, but then the network is on a single SSID and shared between anyone using it, so what speed you'll get will be dependent on lots of factors.

roughbeast 04-03-2017 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 35888502)

We should be hearing something soon. Due to bugs in their various pilot areas VM have delayed an announcement until early 2017.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...ring-2017.html

Synthetic 04-03-2017 16:26

20meg is still more than BJ's offering and they can easily boost it in the future if they wanted

Sephiroth 04-03-2017 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 35888484)
Is the "Public WiFi" Traffic tunneled off somewhere or at least on a different Vlan/External IP interface than the private network traffic?

I'm not wanting to deal with the crap that would follow if someone on the "Public" side decided to access something they shouldn't.

If you look at the Operational Configuration stats in the Hub, you'll see the Service Flow listed. That is your service flow. Hidden from you, is the service flow attributable to public WiFi. I think it's capped to 20/2 - maybe BenMcr can comment on that.

As to the shared 2.4GHz wireless frequency, there is only one radio in the el-chepo hub so it has to use the same frequency as in your house. Unless someone is standing right outside your house downloading like hell, (if they can even see a signal) they will contend with anything you're doing on the 2.4GHz band. I

Inactive Digital 04-03-2017 17:04

Looks as though they have ditched plans to roll this out on the SH2 then? I guess they never fixed the software bug that crippled mine for weeks!

amarkr 14-03-2017 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by amarkr (Post 35888494)
https://my.virginmedia.com/my-app/wh...wifi.html#FAQs

Something amazing is starting

We want you to connect to Virgin Media WiFi in as many areas of the UK as possible, so we’re expanding our service by adding Virgin Media Hubs to the network.

We’re adding hundreds of thousands of Hubs 3.0s to our growing network, helping you connect to WiFi in even more places. There are more Hub 3.0s to come, and we’re continuing with a pilot of the Super Hub 2ac. We’re planning to complete the rollout of our service later this year.

Find out more, including which areas are covered and how to opt out.

Where have Hubs been added to the Virgin Media network so far?

So far we’ve added Hub 3.0s to the network in
Basildon, Southend, Gillingham, Cambridge, the Cotswolds, Epping,
Loughton, Glenrothes, South Herts and Watford, and West Sussex. Areas where Hubs are part of the network are indicated by pink circles on the map in the Virgin Media WiFi app.

Mention of the 2ac trial has been removed

NoCableForMe 19-03-2017 12:56

Why don't they make the street cabinets Wi-Fi hotspots?

Taf 19-03-2017 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCableForMe (Post 35890724)
Why don't they make the street cabinets Wi-Fi hotspots?

That would require an external aerial outside the shielded steel cabinet. I think that would require Planning Permission.

Skie 19-03-2017 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35890728)
That would require an external aerial outside the shielded steel cabinet. I think that would require Planning Permission.

Also a power supply!

amarkr 20-03-2017 13:02

Its an interesting idea - I remember BT mounted them within telephone boxes in some cities to provide street access
Not sure how they fared with the planning status, cabinets only have permitted development if providing fixed line broadband so it may well be a stumbling block to a retrofitting exercise.

Kushan 20-03-2017 15:24

Plus why go to the trouble adding one big wireless AP's to your cabs, when you can have lots of little wireless AP's dotted all around it?

Better coverage, more capacity and it doesn't cost additional hardware.

roseandjim 20-03-2017 16:54

VM are promising all this Wi-Fi sharing I am keen to do it and have signed up but as I have only have a SH2 won't be able to do it and they want £14.99 to supply one whereas my neighbour broke her SH2 and they send her a SH3 with no charge.

BenMcr 20-03-2017 17:01

If you don't have a Hub 3.0, then you still get to use the Virgin Media WiFi app and network. It's just that your own Hub won't be part of the Virgin Media WiFi network.

But then you won't connect to the Virgin Media WiFi network via your own Hub anyway - as you'll be using the private WiFi network for your own broadband connection.

Mr K 20-03-2017 20:46

So anyone in 'modem mode' in these selected areas, and not opted out of sharing in 'My VM'. If so, do you still have access to blag other folks wifi ;) ?