Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703961)

JPAC 13-06-2017 11:41

Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35903155)
Yes, all Hub 3.0s are technically capable of being part of Virgin Media WiFi.

Some customers will have opted their own Hub out of providing the SSID.

Thanks Ben. Is it just SH3s? On the Android VM wi-fi app map, there's local coverage for me showing pink circles and I can get internet in those places. So there're all SH3s? Are SH2s used as well now? Just wondering if mine is contributing. Thanks

BenMcr 13-06-2017 12:05

Currently it's only the Hub 3.0s.

The plan was to add the Super Hub 2ac kit as well, but there were some issues with that firmware. As far as I know though it is still on a plan to do - once the firmware issues are resolved.

nomadking 13-06-2017 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAC (Post 35903171)
Thanks Ben. Is it just SH3s? On the Android VM wi-fi app map, there's local coverage for me showing pink circles and I can get internet in those places. So there're all SH3s? Are SH2s used as well now? Just wondering if mine is contributing. Thanks

That's not dependent on VM hubs. It's a separate arrangement.

JPAC 13-06-2017 14:27

Any details on that? Thanks.

nomadking 13-06-2017 15:07

Link.
Quote:

Virgin Media WiFi is our inclusive new on-the-go WiFi service – connecting our customers to smooth, speedy Virgin Media WiFi hotspots when they’re out and about.It’s a bit of magic in your pocket that lets you connect to nearly half of all UK public WiFi hotspots in all sorts of places – cafes, bars and restaurants, up and down the high street, in airports and even underground!

BenMcr 13-06-2017 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAC (Post 35903171)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35903187)
That's not dependent on VM hubs. It's a separate arrangement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35903206)

The pink circles are where the Hub areas are, but aren't specific to each customer for obvious reasons.

You get a specific marker on the map for all other hotspots.

Horace 13-06-2017 15:26

1 Attachment(s)
eh? The pink circles *are* superhubs, the public non-superhub spots (the cloud/Arquiva) are red location markers on the map.

Attachment 26972

btw Ben, are you subject to the superhub owners settings regarding parental controls or are controls always on? I noticed that reddit among other sites wasn't responding when using a hubspot.

roughbeast 13-06-2017 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35903208)
The pink circles are where the Hub areas are, but aren't specific to each customer for obvious reasons.

You get a specific marker on the map for all other hotspots.

My street has 5 pink circles along it. A careful search of SIDs within those circles reveals not a single Virgin Media WiFi hotspot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 35903209)
eh? The pink circles *are* superhubs, the public non-superhub spots (the cloud/Arquiva) are red location markers on the map.

Attachment 26972

btw Ben, are you subject to the superhub owners settings regarding parental controls or are controls always on? I noticed that reddit among other sites wasn't responding when using a hubspot.

A close inspection of red markers in every case revealed hotspots, but they were not Virgin. Indeed one I connected to at a red marker was a BTFON hotspot because I have a pure FON router running at home that allows me to connect to all FON spots world-wide.

DJSADERS 13-06-2017 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 35903225)
My street has 5 pink circles along it. A careful search of SIDs within those circles reveals not a single Virgin Media WiFi hotspot.

If they are anything like mine... i have renamed my one...

roughbeast 13-06-2017 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35903226)

I didn't know that was possible or desireable! I thought VM HotSpots were administered by them and were set up completely separately from our normal configuration.

Even if what you say is the case, none of the hotspots within the pink circles were connectable for me except for the BTFON ones.

BenMcr 13-06-2017 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 35903209)

You are always subject to content controls when using Virgin Media WiFi.

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Quote:

The pink circles are rough areas as to where the service could be available via Hubs. They're specific to individual Hubs.

Quote:

A close inspection of red markers in every case revealed hotspots, but they were not Virgin. Indeed one I connected to at a red marker was a BTFON hotspot because I have a pure FON router running at home that allows me to connect to all FON spots world-wide.

The Virgin Media WiFi app will not show BTFON hotspots - they are not part of Virgin Media WiFi

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35903226)

You cannot rename the Virgin Media WiFi SSID

JPAC 13-06-2017 18:24

How does this interact with 3's Three in Touch? Can they be used at the same time?

BenMcr 13-06-2017 18:30

Virgin Media WiFi is instead of your mobile data connection - it doesn't change how your phone works for voice calling.

If you're getting a Three mobile signal your phone may route the call over that still. Plus some Three phones now have WiFi Calling built in (rather than using the app), which again only triggers if there is no Three mobile signal.

roughbeast 13-06-2017 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35903238)

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

The pink circles are rough areas as to where the service could be available via Hubs. They're specific to individual Hubs.

The Virgin Media WiFi app will not show BTFON hotspots - they are not part of Virgin Media WiFi

1. In that case none of the hubs in the pink circles were active.

2. The Virgin WiFi app detected no Virgin WiFi at the red markers. Picking up BTFON nearby was not done via the Virgin App! I connected automatically via my FON app.

The only time I have ever been able to pick up any Virgin WiFi is on a Piccadilly Line platform.

alanbjames 14-06-2017 14:57

Im yet to see a hub act a hotspot here in Swansea.