Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703961)

Mr K 16-11-2016 21:46

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...-hotspots.html
Whatever happened to this ? Has it been quietly 'shelved'?

BenMcr 16-11-2016 21:53

Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Nope, but it'll be next year.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...ring-2017.html

Mr K 16-11-2016 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35870021)

Mmm, thanks Ben, 'early 2017' - a vague VM date which means it could still be years.

If your hub is in modem mode is it capable of being used as a 'hotspot'?

BenMcr 16-11-2016 22:16

No. As previously discussed when the trial was running earlier in the year, if you go into modem mode then you're opted out of the WiFi service.

You're not a hotspot, but you also can't use the service as a broadband customer.

Kushan 17-11-2016 10:09

That's a shame, there's no reason why it couldn't still operate as a hotspot when in modem mode. Hell, if anything, it'd have extra bandwidth to play with.

roughbeast 17-11-2016 20:49

Meanwhile it is now possible to upgrade to a 4G mobile phone account with Virgin Mobile, with free usage of WhatsApp.

Anything to do with the delays to Virgin WiFi domestic hot spots?

http://www.4g.co.uk/virgin-mobile-4g...twork-summary/

Kushan 18-11-2016 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 35870155)
Meanwhile it is now possible to upgrade to a 4G mobile phone account with Virgin Mobile, with free usage of WhatsApp.

Anything to do with the delays to Virgin WiFi domestic hot spots?

http://www.4g.co.uk/virgin-mobile-4g...twork-summary/

Is WhatsApp known for causing a lot of data usage? I might not be the heaviest user, but of the 2GB of data I've used since November 13th, WhatsApp accounts for 223Kb of it...

Pbryanw 18-11-2016 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35870346)
Is WhatsApp known for causing a lot of data usage? I might not be the heaviest user, but of the 2GB of data I've used since November 13th, WhatsApp accounts for 223Kb of it...

Do they mean free as in, you get charged for standard texts on your mobile, but all WhatsApp messages are sent and received free of charge?

Saying that, I'm confused as well, as I would have thought that this is standard knowledge. Maybe it means for those WhatsApp users who make heavy use of photo & video messages (like my mum), and so use a lot of mobile bandwidth?

pip08456 18-11-2016 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbryanw (Post 35870349)
Do they mean free as in, you get charged for standard texts on your mobile, but all WhatsApp messages are sent and received free of charge?

Saying that, I'm confused as well, as I would have thought that this is standard knowledge. Maybe it means for those WhatsApp users who make heavy use of photo & video messages (like my mum), and so use a lot of mobile bandwidth?

Use of WhatsApp will not be counted towards your mobile data usage.

BenMcr 18-11-2016 21:08

To be clear it's WhatsApp message usage that isn't counted. Video and audio calls via WhatsApp are. Same is true for Facebook Messenger.

roughbeast 18-11-2016 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35870346)

Some of my work colleagues use WhatsApp like there's no tomorrow; posting tittle tattle as regularly as breathing, with photos, videos and all. You sound like me; can't be arsed to add to the noise.

Kushan 20-11-2016 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 35870357)
Some of my work colleagues use WhatsApp like there's no tomorrow; posting tittle tattle as regularly as breathing, with photos, videos and all. You sound like me; can't be arsed to add to the noise.

Indeed, and from the sounds of it, it's not all that helpful anyway:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35870354)
To be clear it's WhatsApp message usage that isn't counted. Video and audio calls via WhatsApp are. Same is true for Facebook Messenger.

Nice idea I guess, but if it's just text data then it's almost moot.

BenMcr 20-11-2016 19:44

Photo, audio and video messages are also covered. It's live audio and video that is not.

copernob 21-11-2016 00:15

So just like Windows 10 n Microrubbish VirginMedia wants every Tom, Dick, Harry n Mary to use our Wi-Fi Routers that WE pay for...Any way of Stopping it. If Not I'm Out after 20 years with them. Can the Firewall on HIGH stop people using it.

pip08456 21-11-2016 01:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 35870832)
So just like Windows 10 n Microrubbish VirginMedia wants every Tom, Dick, Harry n Mary to use our Wi-Fi Routers that WE pay for...Any way of Stopping it. If Not I'm Out after 20 years with them. Can the Firewall on HIGH stop people using it.

You don't pay for your router as such as it remains the propery of VM. In case you hadn't noticed config files are having the config rate increased at no extra charge presumeably in preperation for hubs as an access point.

Yes you can opt out AFAIK. No doubt Ben will clarify at some time.

BenMcr 21-11-2016 09:56

You can indeed opt out of your Hub being used at as hotspot, but if you do then as a broadband customer you can't use the VM WiFi hotspots anywhere else.

Kushan 21-11-2016 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 35870832)

And further to Ben's post above, nobody's going to eat into your bandwidth. They allocate a completely separate channel for the public Wifi, so you'll still get your 70meg.

rogerdraig 21-11-2016 18:53

hmm will opt out of that as i use it as a modem only

Paul 21-11-2016 19:39

So if you choose to use your SH in modem mode then you are blocked from using their WiFi hotspots ?

"its my ball so you're not playing" !

BenMcr 21-11-2016 20:38

It's more of a quid pro quo.

Otherwise you'd get the benefit of other Virgin Media customers sharing via their Hubs, whilst not contributing to the network coverage with your own.

Paul 21-11-2016 23:39

Its not my fault VM are incapable of doing this when you are in modem mode.

Mr K 22-11-2016 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35870954)
So if you choose to use your SH in modem mode then you are blocked from using their WiFi hotspots ?

"its my ball so you're not playing" !

Seem to remember when this was first mooted that the way to opt out would be an option in My Virgin Media. However despite what Ben has said it remains to be seen if you don't tick the opt out and are in modem mode. Maybe too many being in modem mode has caused the delay? However we'll see... Don't think it bars you from the public virgin WiFi you can now access via apps, not that's there's any of those near me anyway.

Kushan 22-11-2016 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35870979)
Seem to remember when this was first mooted that the way to opt out would be an option in My Virgin Media. However despite what Ben has said it remains to be seen if you don't tick the opt out and are in modem mode. Maybe too many being in modem mode has caused the delay? However we'll see... Don't think it bars you from the public virgin WiFi you can now access via apps, not that's there's any of those near me anyway.

Fingers crossed.

I would be more than happy to allow my hub to be a hotspot, but not at the cost of modem mode.

Skie 22-11-2016 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35870978)
Its not my fault VM are incapable of doing this when you are in modem mode.

Its odd because my SH3 is currently stuck in modem mode but with wifi on :angel:

Actually I should say it's pretty much cabbaged at the moment, works but I can't turn router mode on or change any settings as it just dies and has to be factory reset. Which just puts it back to modem + wifi mode. Joy.

Mr K 04-03-2017 09:20

So whatever happened to this? Is is still 'coming soon'?

BenMcr 04-03-2017 10:34

The rollout has started. There are now some areas where the Hub network is available, and more areas will be added over the next few months.

Sephiroth 04-03-2017 12:03

Just to keep some facts in view:

1. Public WiFi from your Hub uses the 2.4GHz band only.

2. Public WiFi from your Hub will contend with your WiFi use as the frequency is the same.

3. Public WiFi from your Hub is not part of your service profile.

Synthetic 04-03-2017 12:18

Ben can you comment on which areas are live?

Also, if we're in modem mode, do we still get access to other customers' hubs?

dragon 04-03-2017 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35888470)
Just to keep some facts in view:

1. Public WiFi from your Hub uses the 2.4GHz band only.

2. Public WiFi from your Hub will contend with your WiFi use as the frequency is the same.

3. Public WiFi from your Hub is not part of your service profile.

Is the "Public WiFi" Traffic tunneled off somewhere or at least on a different Vlan/External IP interface than the private network traffic?

I'm not wanting to deal with the crap that would follow if someone on the "Public" side decided to access something they shouldn't.

amarkr 04-03-2017 13:25

https://my.virginmedia.com/my-app/wh...wifi.html#FAQs

Something amazing is starting

We want you to connect to Virgin Media WiFi in as many areas of the UK as possible, so we’re expanding our service by adding Virgin Media Hubs to the network.

We’re adding hundreds of thousands of Hubs 3.0s to our growing network, helping you connect to WiFi in even more places. There are more Hub 3.0s to come, and we’re continuing with a pilot of the Super Hub 2ac. We’re planning to complete the rollout of our service later this year.

Find out more, including which areas are covered and how to opt out.

Where have Hubs been added to the Virgin Media network so far?

So far we’ve added Hub 3.0s to the network in Basildon, Southend, Gillingham, Cambridge, the Cotswolds, Epping, Loughton, Glenrothes, South Herts and Watford, and West Sussex. Areas where Hubs are part of the network are indicated by pink circles on the map in the Virgin Media WiFi app.

Synthetic 04-03-2017 13:48

Interesting, I wonder when they'll be looking at a full on roll out.

Also did someone say it'd be a 50meg connection?

BenMcr 04-03-2017 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 35888484)
Is the "Public WiFi" Traffic tunneled off somewhere or at least on a different Vlan/External IP interface than the private network traffic?

I'm not wanting to deal with the crap that would follow if someone on the "Public" side decided to access something they shouldn't.

They are completely separate.

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 35888502)

It's 20Mbps allocated per Hub I believe, but then the network is on a single SSID and shared between anyone using it, so what speed you'll get will be dependent on lots of factors.

roughbeast 04-03-2017 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 35888502)

We should be hearing something soon. Due to bugs in their various pilot areas VM have delayed an announcement until early 2017.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...ring-2017.html

Synthetic 04-03-2017 16:26

20meg is still more than BJ's offering and they can easily boost it in the future if they wanted

Sephiroth 04-03-2017 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 35888484)

If you look at the Operational Configuration stats in the Hub, you'll see the Service Flow listed. That is your service flow. Hidden from you, is the service flow attributable to public WiFi. I think it's capped to 20/2 - maybe BenMcr can comment on that.

As to the shared 2.4GHz wireless frequency, there is only one radio in the el-chepo hub so it has to use the same frequency as in your house. Unless someone is standing right outside your house downloading like hell, (if they can even see a signal) they will contend with anything you're doing on the 2.4GHz band. I

Inactive Digital 04-03-2017 17:04

Looks as though they have ditched plans to roll this out on the SH2 then? I guess they never fixed the software bug that crippled mine for weeks!

amarkr 14-03-2017 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by amarkr (Post 35888494)
https://my.virginmedia.com/my-app/wh...wifi.html#FAQs

Something amazing is starting

We want you to connect to Virgin Media WiFi in as many areas of the UK as possible, so we’re expanding our service by adding Virgin Media Hubs to the network.

We’re adding hundreds of thousands of Hubs 3.0s to our growing network, helping you connect to WiFi in even more places. There are more Hub 3.0s to come, and we’re continuing with a pilot of the Super Hub 2ac. We’re planning to complete the rollout of our service later this year.

Find out more, including which areas are covered and how to opt out.

Where have Hubs been added to the Virgin Media network so far?

So far we’ve added Hub 3.0s to the network in
Basildon, Southend, Gillingham, Cambridge, the Cotswolds, Epping,
Loughton, Glenrothes, South Herts and Watford, and West Sussex. Areas where Hubs are part of the network are indicated by pink circles on the map in the Virgin Media WiFi app.

Mention of the 2ac trial has been removed

NoCableForMe 19-03-2017 12:56

Why don't they make the street cabinets Wi-Fi hotspots?

Taf 19-03-2017 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCableForMe (Post 35890724)
Why don't they make the street cabinets Wi-Fi hotspots?

That would require an external aerial outside the shielded steel cabinet. I think that would require Planning Permission.

Skie 19-03-2017 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35890728)
That would require an external aerial outside the shielded steel cabinet. I think that would require Planning Permission.

Also a power supply!

amarkr 20-03-2017 13:02

Its an interesting idea - I remember BT mounted them within telephone boxes in some cities to provide street access
Not sure how they fared with the planning status, cabinets only have permitted development if providing fixed line broadband so it may well be a stumbling block to a retrofitting exercise.

Kushan 20-03-2017 15:24

Plus why go to the trouble adding one big wireless AP's to your cabs, when you can have lots of little wireless AP's dotted all around it?

Better coverage, more capacity and it doesn't cost additional hardware.

roseandjim 20-03-2017 16:54

VM are promising all this Wi-Fi sharing I am keen to do it and have signed up but as I have only have a SH2 won't be able to do it and they want £14.99 to supply one whereas my neighbour broke her SH2 and they send her a SH3 with no charge.

BenMcr 20-03-2017 17:01

If you don't have a Hub 3.0, then you still get to use the Virgin Media WiFi app and network. It's just that your own Hub won't be part of the Virgin Media WiFi network.

But then you won't connect to the Virgin Media WiFi network via your own Hub anyway - as you'll be using the private WiFi network for your own broadband connection.

Mr K 20-03-2017 20:46

So anyone in 'modem mode' in these selected areas, and not opted out of sharing in 'My VM'. If so, do you still have access to blag other folks wifi ;) ?

amarkr 23-03-2017 14:03

Judging by BenMcr previous responses here and in the VM community - if you go into Modem mode (or shut off the 2.4Ghz wireless), you will opt yourself out (and not be able to blag your neighbours wi-fi),whether you have done it thru MyVM or not.

Interesting whether this applies to SHUB/SHUB2/SHUB2ac that dont currently have the abililty to offer access in the first place.

BenMcr 23-03-2017 14:12

No, it doesn't apply apply to a 1 / 2 / or 2ac as they aren't currently capable of being part of the Virgin Media WiFi network.

Gobble 23-03-2017 14:43

So the whole putting your router into modem mode being automatically out is a terrible idea.

Kushan 23-03-2017 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobble (Post 35891423)
So the whole putting your router into modem mode being automatically out is a terrible idea.

I don't think this is deliberate, I think it's more of a technical limitation of how Modem mode works.

I won't be putting my hub back into router mode any time soon, but I'd have been more than happy for it to broadcast the Virgin public Wifi network while IN modem mode. I just don't think it's feasible from Virgin's end.

Shame it locks us out, really.

Synthetic 23-03-2017 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35891427)
I don't think this is deliberate, I think it's more of a technical limitation of how Modem mode works.

I won't be putting my hub back into router mode any time soon, but I'd have been more than happy for it to broadcast the Virgin public Wifi network while IN modem mode. I just don't think it's feasible from Virgin's end.

Agreed, I'd be happy to broadcast too but not at the expense of losing modem mode.

Skie 25-03-2017 21:20

Quote:

It's more than capable of handling it. Modem mode is just a software config that disables a few features that could just as easily be enabled for the wifi service whilst leaving the one enabled LAN port router-less.

Unless of course the DHCP, routing and other services on the customer side are shared by the public wifi side, which would be worrying from a security perspective.

Gobble 27-03-2017 08:38

Quote:

I guess what I mean is that if they allow you to use the WiFi if you're on a 2, 2ac even though you're not sharing (because it's out of your control). They should honor the same for those who want to use their own equipment. Might I add, if the Hub 3 was up to doing the tasks of my needs, then I wouldn't need to use another router.

Aye Up 28-03-2017 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35890728)

No it wouldn't, technology is sufficiently advanced that the antenna could be placed inside the cabinet. BT do this in areas around London, from their roadside cabinets and phone boxes. If the antenna is fixed inside the cabinet no additional planning permission would be needed and even then were it placed outside it would likely not require enhanced permission either.

Taf 28-03-2017 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aye Up (Post 35892108)
No it wouldn't, technology is sufficiently advanced that the antenna could be placed inside the cabinet. BT do this in areas around London, from their roadside cabinets and phone boxes. If the antenna is fixed inside the cabinet no additional planning permission would be needed and even then were it placed outside it would likely not require enhanced permission either.

Try getting a signal out of a shielded steel box.

And do you think local yobs would ignore a small aerial sticking out of the top of a street cabinet? No, they would have to be raised out of harm's way, and that would require a pole or mast. And that would require planning permission. My background include several years in the Home Office Directorate of Telecommunications, where questions like this were commonplace.

copernob 30-03-2017 00:30

Lets see if I got this correct then...If I allow VM to use my Hub for outside Wi-Fi I can use on Virgin Media Mobile.

I NOT on virgin media mobile. I on Tesco, can I still use it if I allow my Hub.

BenMcr 30-03-2017 07:19

Anyone with either Virgin Media broadband or a Virgin Media mobile SIM can use Virgin Media WiFi on a compatible device by downloading the Virgin Media WiFi app.

If you have a Virgin Media SIM, then access is authorised in the app via the SIM in your device.

For Virgin Media broadband customers it's authorised in the app via your My Virgin Media login. This means as a broadband customer you can use it with mobile devices from other mobile providers.

If you're a Virgin Media broadband customer with a Hub 3.0, you have to have you Hub 3.0 in router mode, and opted in as part of the Virgin Media WiFi network (if given the choice) in order to use the Virgin Media WiFi service.

Mr K 30-03-2017 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35892379)
If you're a Virgin Media broadband customer with a Hub 3.0, you have to have you Hub 3.0 in router mode, and opted in as part of the Virgin Media WiFi network (if given the choice) in order to use the Virgin Media WiFi service.

And if you haven't got a hub 3 you won't be able to use this service?
Surely not the customers fault if they haven't , they pay the same ?

BenMcr 30-03-2017 11:16

Where did I say that? Any broadband customer can use the service as long as they can install the app on their device.

Broadband customers with a Hub 3.0 have an additional requirement to have their kit opted in to broadcasting the Virgin Media WiFi wireless network.

I'm pretty sure that this has already been discussed several times on this thread.

Synthetic 30-03-2017 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35892421)
Where did I say that? Any broadband customer can use the service as long as they can install the app on their device.

Broadband customers with a Hub 3.0 have an additional requirement to have their kit opted in to broadcasting the Virgin Media WiFi wireless network.

I'm pretty sure that this has already been discussed several times on this thread.

And in router mode yeah? It's a bit unfair we don't have the option if we're in modem mode... once again that's not our fault if Virgin can't make it work in some kind of hybrid router/modem mode.

BenMcr 30-03-2017 14:36

Yes, sorry I said that above, but not in reply.

The requirements to use Virgin Media WiFi when you have a Hub 3.0 are:

Opted in
In Router Mode
2.4GHz switched on

If or when the 2ac is added to the wireless network these requirements would apply to customers with the 2ac as well.

All Hub 3.0 customers have or will get information that explains the addition of their Hub 3.0 to Virgin Media WiFi.

Mr K 30-03-2017 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35892478)
Yes, sorry I said that above, but not in reply.

The requirements to use Virgin Media WiFi when you have a Hub 3.0 are:

Opted in
In Router Mode
2.4GHz switched on

If or when the 2ac is added to the wireless network these requirements would apply to customers with the 2ac as well.

All Hub 3.0 customers have or will get information that explains the addition of their Hub 3.0 to Virgin Media WiFi.

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow here ! So, if you've got a shub2ac, in modem mode but not opted out in MY VM you have access? The requirement not to be in modem mode is only if you have a shub3 ? If so best to reject any 'upgrades' to a shub3 ?

BenMcr 30-03-2017 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35892483)
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow here ! So, if you've got a shub2ac, in modem mode but not opted out in MY VM you have access?

You can't opt out or not in My VM if you have a 2ac as it's not currently part for the Virgin Media WiFi network. So the rules around the state of your SuperHub can't apply, so don't affect access to the Virgin Media WiFi service.

If you were to swap to a Hub 3.0 for whatever reason, then the device rules for the Hub 3.0 would then apply to your access to Virgin Media WiFi.

The only exception to this when you have a Hub 3.0 is if you're also a Virgin Mobile customer. Your eligibility for access to Virgin Media WiFi is then built in to your SIM, and has no connection to your home broadband connection.

Mr K 30-03-2017 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35892487)
You can't opt out or not in My VM if you have a 2ac as it's not currently part for the Virgin Media WiFi network. So the rules around the state of your SuperHub can't apply, so don't affect access to the Virgin Media WiFi service.

Beg to differ Ben, I do have the opt in/out option in MyVM and I have a shub2ac .

So guess I have access, in theory, if it ever comes to my area and as long as I don't get a shub 3.

BenMcr 30-03-2017 15:23

The opt out option shouldn't currently be there, but it could be connected with the rollout and then rollback of the 2ac code to enable them for Virgin Media WiFi.

Currently you have access to Virgin Media WiFi usage as a broadband customer, and when Hub 3.0s are enabled in your area your mobile device that has the app on would connect to them (when you're not connected to your home WiFi).

If the 2ac hotspot code is then rolled out again your opt out choice would then be valid.

Skie 30-03-2017 19:32

Is there a difference between the hub provided wifi and the Tube wifi? IE, if I'm in modem mode will I be able to use the tube wifi and not the hub 3 shared stuff, or is it just all disabled?

Because if its the latter that is an amazing own goal.

BenMcr 30-03-2017 19:37

You can still use the older open SSID LU WiFi service at the moment. I don't know what the longer term plans for that access are for VM customers will be (the system itself exist for visitor access and other mobile networks).

But to use the secure SSID service in the London Underground then you need to use the Virgin Media WiFi app and therefore need to meet the eligibility for that.

amarkr 31-03-2017 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35892504)
The opt out option shouldn't currently be there, but it could be connected with the rollout and then rollback of the 2ac code to enable them for Virgin Media WiFi.

I have a plain SHUB2 (from the original trial) and My VM shows the opt out option on my account

techguyone 31-03-2017 16:50

So what about people like me, I'm on shub1

And I have to use modem mode, because the wi-fi is so crap it won't reach around the house -which incidentally means if I were to subject myself to router mode again, no bugger would get a signal from the street anyway.

But hey ho, I could use other people's hubs - well unless they're shub 1, those people are lucky to get a signal for themselves, let alone anyone else.

poor poor poor.

BenMcr 31-03-2017 23:42

So as it stands:

If you have anything other than a Hub 3.0 then as broadband customer you can use the Virgin Media WiFi service on a compatible device.

If you have a Hub 3.0, then as a broadband customer to use the Virgin Media WiFi service on a compatible device you have allow your Hub 3.0 to be part of the Virgin Media WiFi broadcast network.

Mr K 01-04-2017 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35892708)
So as it stands:

If you have anything other than a Hub 3.0 then as broadband customer you can use the Virgin Media WiFi service on a compatible device.

If you have a Hub 3.0, then as a broadband customer to use the Virgin Media WiFi service on a compatible device you have allow your Hub 3.0 to be part of the Virgin Media WiFi broadcast network.

Thanks for the clarification. Though it is bizarre.
Moral of the story is don't get a shub3 if you use modem mode.

BenMcr 01-04-2017 10:53

What showed up when you checked for the existing wifi profiles?

roughbeast 01-04-2017 11:44

Quote:

So as it stands:

If this is true then VM have a lot to answer for.

I was told by CS tech department that I had to have a Shub 3 if I was to have 300 Mb. They told me that they are not issuing Shub 2s for new customers.

In my discussions with them over connection problems I was having at the time, they acknowledged that the built-in option for modem only is a customer retention strategy. That being so, they really do need to develop Shub 3 software that allows modem only and public WiFi.

techguyone 01-04-2017 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35892746)
What showed up when you checked for the existing wifi profiles?

I sorted it Ben, hence my post deletion, it seems to be ok - just need to find some hot spots now :) shame it didn't hook into the BT ones, those are everywhere, but unless you're a BT customer, it costs a small fortune to use them sadly.

roughbeast 03-04-2017 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35892765)
I sorted it Ben, hence my post deletion, it seems to be ok - just need to find some hot spots now :) shame it didn't hook into the BT ones, those are everywhere, but unless you're a BT customer, it costs a small fortune to use them sadly.

You can still connect to BTFON and any FON hotspot worldwide for the one-off outlay of a few pounds. All you need is a Fonera SIMPL, follow instructions to register it on the FON network and off you go. You need to keep your SIMPL running as a hotspot for your access to be maintained.

I have being doing this for years. Most BTFON hotspots work, including my neighbour's. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Fonera-Simpl-.../dp/B00SZAC4PG

Please note that some of the older Fonera models are no longer compatible with the FON network.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5107980

techguyone 03-04-2017 11:28

Interesting, but no good for me, I as wanting to be able to connect my phone to these places when I'm out and about. In my part ofthe world many of the 'free wi-fi's' in stores/pubs/restaurants etc is a BT one, where you connect to an open wi-fi only to find a web page with a 'connect for only £3/hr or £30 for a day or similar.

roughbeast 03-04-2017 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35893024)
Interesting, but no good for me, I as wanting to be able to connect my phone to these places when I'm out and about. In my part ofthe world many of the 'free wi-fi's' in stores/pubs/restaurants etc is a BT one, where you connect to an open wi-fi only to find a web page with a 'connect for only £3/hr or £30 for a day or similar.

I can connect my phone to any BTFON hotspot.

The SIMPL stays at home acting as a hotspot. ( Mine is in the attic.) Just doing this maintains your credentials for connecting to FON and BTFON with any WiFi device.

BenMcr 12-04-2017 11:20

Quote:

So as it stands:

Just an update on this - Virgin Media have now removed these restrictions.

So all broadband customers can use Virgin Media WiFi on compatible devices, no matter which kit they have and whether that kit is opted in or out of providing a hotspot.

Mr K 12-04-2017 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35894324)
Just an update on this - Virgin Media have now removed these restrictions.

So all broadband customers can use Virgin Media WiFi on compatible devices, no matter which kit they have and whether that kit is opted in or out of providing a hotspot.

The right move, it was all getting very confusing

Having said that haven't managed to pick up any of these hot spots, either those in public places or home hotspots.

BenMcr 12-04-2017 12:23

What does the map show within the app? You can see where the hotspots should be.

The switch on for the remaining Hub 3.0 areas hasn't yet started, but is due to start before the end of the month

techguyone 12-04-2017 12:26

I wonder if many home signals even go outside a property, I know mine (on 615 router) only really goes about as far as the drive, you'd have to be extremely lucky to get more than a glimmer of a signal for about 2 seconds if you were walking by.

alwaysabear 12-04-2017 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35894336)
I wonder if many home signals even go outside a property, I know mine (on 615 router) only really goes about as far as the drive, you'd have to be extremely lucky to get more than a glimmer of a signal for about 2 seconds if you were walking by.

My 2ac is fine reaches 90 ft down the garden and across the road, I would hope that as the SH3 is newer it will have an even better range.;)

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 35893026)
I can connect my phone to any BTFON hotspot.

The SIMPL stays at home acting as a hotspot. ( Mine is in the attic.) Just doing this maintains your credentials for connecting to FON and BTFON with any WiFi device.

I use my daughters BT and its pretty impressive with coverage everywhere practically .

techguyone 12-04-2017 15:17

hmmm

Quote:

As of November 2015 FON no longer sell the Fonera box and so at present the only way to become part of the FON scheme would be to move your home broadband provider to one of the partner networks (BT in the UK, SFR in France).

FON have said in a statement to Motorhome WiFi: “We confirm that the Fonera is no longer available . It will not affect the free roaming privileges from the Foneras owners account. Right now we have no plans to expire this benefit. ”

Some mobile phone networks give you access to ‘BT WiFi’ (such as O2 or Vodafone) but this does not include ‘FON’.
bugger.

Synthetic 12-04-2017 15:38

I've just had an email from Virgin to say my hub is now a hotspot...

It isn't, as it's in modem mode, but it sounds like they've rolled this out to Newcastle now, unfortunately I'm not at home to check right now.

Email below for those interested

Quote:

We're writing to let you know that we're expanding the network of hotspots that Virgin Broadband customers can automatically connect to through the Virgin Media WiFi app, by adding Virgin Media Hubs, including the one in your home.
Adding Virgin Media Hubs to our WiFi network won't affect the internet connection you pay for
To add it to the network, we'll switch on a separate connection inside the Hub in your home. This means the broadband you pay for stays exclusively yours, and remains just as secure.
If you don't want the Hub you use to join our WiFi network, you can opt out. All you need to do is let us know by registering or signing in to your account here and clicking My Profile.
Kind regards,

TAZMANUK 12-04-2017 15:54

After looking at the app and noticing that i'd have to change over 25 wifi devices as i use my ssid all one word as VIRGINMEDIA and VIRGINMEDIA 5G it stated change any with Virgin Media.

Since mine has a space but the app fails to get the profiles ive opted out if they was sn incentive for customers on a speedboost then id opt in. I only have 100 meg

Kushan 13-04-2017 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAZMANUK (Post 35894383)
After looking at the app and noticing that i'd have to change over 25 wifi devices as i use my ssid all one word as VIRGINMEDIA and VIRGINMEDIA 5G it stated change any with Virgin Media.

Since mine has a space but the app fails to get the profiles ive opted out if they was sn incentive for customers on a speedboost then id opt in. I only have 100 meg

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here, but you don't need to change anything. The VM hotspots are entirely independent of your own wifi network. You can call it whatever you want.

Synthetic 13-04-2017 10:12

Nothing live here yet, suspect the email is a pre-emptive warning as I can't see them rolling anything out over the easter weekend incase it goes wrong.

SnoopZ 13-04-2017 10:16

Is there a setting we can turn on and off in the Hub3 settings?

Synthetic 13-04-2017 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35894492)

It'll be part of a firmware update I imagine

SnoopZ 13-04-2017 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 35894498)
It'll be part of a firmware update I imagine

What is the firmware revision for the Hub3 that has it?

Kushan 13-04-2017 11:26

I don't think it's live for my hub but I checked the app and there apparently are Hotspots around Liverpool. Not used them yet though.

I did also get a letter through stating that the wifi app was live and ready to use.

SnoopZ 13-04-2017 11:34

Just checked the Virgin Media Wifi app on my phone and in my village it comes up with lots of light pink circles scattered around, so what does that mean?

Synthetic 13-04-2017 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35894504)
Just checked the Virgin Media Wifi app on my phone and in my village it comes up with lots of light pink circles scattered around, so what does that mean?

Means it's live in that village.

Can't see any pink circles around here yet, just the usual red markers for commercial hotspots.

Jimmy-J 13-04-2017 13:55

The app won't run on a rooted device.

Kushan 13-04-2017 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 35894523)
The app won't run on a rooted device.

Runs fine here?

Root status

No fancy rooting here, either.

Jimmy-J 13-04-2017 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35894533)
Runs fine here?

Root status

No fancy rooting here, either.

I'll rephrase that then... The app won't run on my rooted device. :) Galaxy Note 4.

Kushan 13-04-2017 14:51

Does it say it's not running DUE to root, or are you making an assumption about it not running?

Also are you running the right App? I remember the TV Anywhere app not working with root.

TAZMANUK 13-04-2017 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAZMANUK (Post 35894383)

When you install the wifi app when looking for profiles it shows an error with a message saying if you have ssids "virgin media", x_cloud and another one then change them.

Mine is VIRGINMEDIA and VIRGINMEDIA 5G as separated the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

My ssid does not have a space "VIRGINMEDIA" so isn't matching "Virgin Media" as it states. Until i change my ssid the app will not continue to do the profiing.

I have over 25 devices some smart hone devices and too much hassle to sort printers, consoles, tvs, amazon echo, dots, broaflink, tablets, phones to use wifi hotspot. So opted out.

BenMcr 13-04-2017 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35894501)
What is the firmware revision for the Hub3 that has it?

It's the existing 'V' firmware.

Unlike the 2ac, the capability has been there for a while. Remember that Liberty Global already do this in Europe so the group wide kit has to be able to do it.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35894492)

The Hub opt out setting is in My Virgin Media, which it does say in both the communication and the help content.

SnoopZ 15-04-2017 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35894598)
It's the existing 'V' firmware.

Unlike the 2ac, the capability has been there for a while. Remember that Liberty Global already do this in Europe so the group wide kit has to be able to do it.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

The Hub opt out setting is in My Virgin Media, which it does say in both the communication and the help content.

I can't find the opt in opt out switch in my virginmedia, however i havent received an email saying it is active for me yet.

rogerdraig 15-04-2017 12:30

i had the letter and the opt out is in "My Profile" once you sign in

i opted out