Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : Tivo network settings (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686799)

r94yan 05-04-2012 12:26

Tivo network settings

have a problem and questions

firstly i know that Tivo gets its own dedicated 10MB broadband but how is this delivered?

at the moment i am trying to configure the network settings so the DHCP server is used. but it keeps saying a DHCP server could not be found. instead i selected tivo sets its own IP address, it then said that tivo has connected to your home network?? thought it had its own broadband.

spiderplant 05-04-2012 12:51

Re: Tivo network settings

TiVo has its own cable modem built in, which is how it gets access to internet services etc. There are no configuration settings for it - it is all managed from VM's end.

Separately, you can connect TiVo to your home network. This is mainly for future use, but you can use network remote controls to control the TiVo now. These are the settings you are looking at. For most people, automatic DHCP will be fine.

r94yan 05-04-2012 12:55

ok thanks but cannot seem to get the DHCP setting to work. it keeps saying cannot find DHCP server!! any ideas?

spiderplant 05-04-2012 13:06

You have an ethernet connection from the Tivo to your router, yes? Is the port status light on on the router? If you log into the router, does it show you the tivo as a LAN connected device?

r94yan 05-04-2012 13:12

i have not connected the tivo to my router. should I?

passingbat 05-04-2012 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by r94yan (Post 35410058)
i have not connected the tivo to my router. should I?

Yes. Both my Tivos are connected to the router and I can see each tivo from the other one and even delete shows from the other tivo.

Just waiting for VM to get a move on and activate tivo to tivo streaming.

r94yan 05-04-2012 14:22

ok, but does this mean that some bandwidth is lost to be used by tivo. also are there any settings that need to be changed on the tivo box

passingbat 05-04-2012 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by r94yan (Post 35410084)
ok, but does this mean that some bandwidth is lost to be used by tivo. also are there any settings that need to be changed on the tivo box

I have a feeling that I had to change a menu item, but I can't remember what; it's a few months ago that I did it. It wasn't stuff like DHCP settings though, it was a simple menu item.

r94yan 05-04-2012 14:58

ok, well i have found that if connect my router to tivo and select DHCP then it works without errors. however if i unplug the ethernet cable it will come up with an error.

using tivo to select its own IP address means that i dont need to connect the ethernet cable.

so what is the best network option for tivo??

spiderplant 05-04-2012 17:14

What are you trying to achieve? If you want to use home networking, you must connect an Ethernet cable. If you just want your TiVo to work normally, you don't need to change anything.