Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Please document any V6 issues here. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704015)

RichardCoulter 25-11-2016 14:00

Please document any V6 issues here.

Instead of spoiling it for those looking forward to getting a V6 in the existing thread and to collate any common issues to feed back to VM, I thought I'd create this thread- hope that's OK with admin.

The other day, I found that the box was behaving erratically. It was as if someone else was pressing the buttons!

I tried changing the batteries which didn't help and my carer has checked for any loose connections.

Someone suggested using the old remote control without Bluetooth as I thought it could be that that was causing the problem, but alas it made no difference.

A reboot cleared it, but the purple circle made a very brief reappearance.

The other day when 'Ordinary Lies' was on, it wouldn't let me delete it.

Just to add, my broadband keeps going on and off. A phone call about this gave a recording that VM are doing maintenance to our BB, could this be affecting the V6 now that it doesn't have its own modem?

I've just turned it on and the phantom button pressing was back, making it impossible to use.

I had to wait for my carer to reset it from the actual box.

This has again cured the phantom button pressing issue and 'Ordinary Lies' has at last disappeared from the list.

However, the reboot interrupted a recording, so I've set it up to record a repeat later today.

It deleted the first part as requested, but won't allow me to delete the second part that it is currently recording.

There are now some delays when moving between screens and the purple circle is back :(

One difference is that it seems to queue the requested commands, as opposed to the old TiVo which completely ignored anything when it was purple circling.

Has anyone else with a V6 encountered this or any other problems?

Also this https://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/s...php?t=33703996

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Screen just went totally black, did another reboot.

At the top it says that it's no longer connected to the internet (error code C233) and keeps alternating between the home screen and a black screen (with no audio when it does this).

Rang V6 faults. After managing to get it to 'Connect to Virgin Media, it is now working ok.

Moral of the story:. If rebooting doesn't clear problems, try connecting to VM!

He did say that it might have been a software update that got stuck.

On Network status the other day it said 60%, when I checked for VM a few minutes ago it said 50% (marginal) and now it says 52% (good).

Are these acceptable and normal ranges? If not, perhaps I will need Homeplugs instead of WiFi after all...

Now that it doesn't have its own dedicated internet connection, will BB outages stop the V6 working?

pip08456 25-11-2016 17:18

Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Rather than homeplugs is there no way you could supply ethernet to it?

I should imagine no BB would have an effect but not having one...

RichardCoulter 25-11-2016 18:06

The router is in my home office two floors up, so it's not really practicable.

Stephen 25-11-2016 19:40

Wow whats with all the double spacing?

Mr K 25-11-2016 19:43

Its got a stupid name and looks like a brick.

RichardCoulter 25-11-2016 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35871706)

?

Anypermitedroute 25-11-2016 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35871706)

Makes essays look big and important

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35871708)

Costs money as well

sollp 25-11-2016 20:13

Quote:

Its looks are irrelevant, you can put the box out of sight instead of having Devices stacked on each other,"Just for there looks". You can make the space look better around your TV.

OLD BOY 25-11-2016 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35871592)
Instead of spoiling it for those looking forward to getting a V6 in the existing thread and to collate any common issues to feed back to VM, I thought I'd create this thread- hope that's OK with admin.

The other day, I found that the box was behaving erratically. It was as if someone else was pressing the buttons!

I tried changing the batteries which didn't help and my carer has checked for any loose connections.

Someone suggested using the old remote control without Bluetooth as I thought it could be that that was causing the problem, but alas it made no difference.

A reboot cleared it, but the purple circle made a very brief reappearance.

The other day when 'Ordinary Lies' was on, it wouldn't let me delete it.

Just to add, my broadband keeps going on and off. A phone call about this gave a recording that VM are doing maintenance to our BB, could this be affecting the V6 now that it doesn't have its own modem?

I've just turned it on and the phantom button pressing was back, making it impossible to use.

I had to wait for my carer to reset it from the actual box.

This has again cured the phantom button pressing issue and 'Ordinary Lies' has at last disappeared from the list.

However, the reboot interrupted a recording, so I've set it up to record a repeat later today.

It deleted the first part as requested, but won't allow me to delete the second part that it is currently recording.

There are now some delays when moving between screens and the purple circle is back :(

One difference is that it seems to queue the requested commands, as opposed to the old TiVo which completely ignored anything when it was purple circling.

Has anyone else with a V6 encountered this or any other problems?

Also this https://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/s...php?t=33703996

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Screen just went totally black, did another reboot.

At the top it says that it's no longer connected to the internet (error code C233) and keeps alternating between the home screen and a black screen (with no audio when it does this).

Rang V6 faults. After managing to get it to 'Connect to Virgin Media, it is now working ok.

Moral of the story:. If rebooting doesn't clear problems, try connecting to VM!

He did say that it might have been a software update that got stuck.

On Network status the other day it said 60%, when I checked for VM a few minutes ago it said 50% (marginal) and now it says 52% (good).

Are these acceptable and normal ranges? If not, perhaps I will need Homeplugs instead of WiFi after all...

Now that it doesn't have its own dedicated internet connection, will BB outages stop the V6 working?

My God, Richard, you really are the grim reaper of TiVo boxes!

Do you ever stop continually pressing the buttons on your remote? I'm beginning to think you are hyperactive. For the sake of all of us, don't go anywhere near any of our nuclear power stations!!

Hugh 25-11-2016 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35871683)
The router is in my home office two floors up, so it's not really practicable.

Is your home an old building, with solid walls? - this could affect the wifi signal.

RobboEdin 25-11-2016 22:37

Richard, Given the two floors separating your V6 and Superhub and the network status showing marginal wifi connection, I would suggest that powerline connection would be more appropriate for you.

Which wifi band is the V6 currently connected to? If the 5GHz band then I would suggest moving the connection to the 2.4GHz band as it has a better reach than the 5GHz band and this may help.

Mr Banana 25-11-2016 23:51

Quote:

For some reason, in my mind i think the same thing when I look at your avatar, although in the message the brick starts with a p?

OLD BOY 26-11-2016 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35871779)
Is your home an old building, with solid walls? - this could affect the wifi signal.

Don't fret, old chap. Richard appears to have gone to the dark side. There is no way that any sensible person would be actively looking for faults in this way. If he did the same against Sky, the result would be the same.

Sorry, Richard, you have provided much entertainment on Cable Forum, but this is becoming a pantomime! No provider of services is perfect, but you seem to underestimate the difficulties in providing a service in this fast moving technological world.

If you waste your life in finding fault with what others do, you will never be disappointed, but you will lose your credibility.

Just use the box in the way that most people do, and I am sure that performance will be more than acceptable.

RichardCoulter 26-11-2016 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35871779)

Yes, it is. It works ok for my Smart TV & other devices though. Perhaps the V6 is more sensitive??

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35871785)
Richard, Given the two floors separating your V6 and Superhub and the network status showing marginal wifi connection, I would suggest that powerline connection would be more appropriate for you.

Which wifi band is the V6 currently connected to? If the 5GHz band then I would suggest moving the connection to the 2.4GHz band as it has a better reach than the 5GHz band and this may help.

Thanks, I'll look into this :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35871811)
Don't fret, old chap. Richard appears to have gone to the dark side. There is no way that any sensible person would be actively looking for faults in this way. If he did the same against Sky, the result would be the same.

Sorry, Richard, you have provided much entertainment on Cable Forum, but this is becoming a pantomime! No provider of services is perfect, but you seem to underestimate the difficulties in providing a service in this fast moving technological world.

If you waste your life in finding fault with what others do, you will never be disappointed, but you will lose your credibility.

Just use the box in the way that most people do, and I am sure that performance will be more than acceptable.

Don't talk so stupid. How on Earth can finding that the box isn't working be "looking for fault"?!

Idiotic statement.

Yesterday evening the picture started going on & off again, am I supposed to just shrug my shoulders and say c'est la vie?

It worked fine again, but it wasn't a 'connect to VM' that corrected it, it was a reboot this time.

If it happens again (after checking Robbos suggestion) I'll report it as a fault. Nobody else has reported any problems with their V6, so I will have to assume that its my particular box that's faulty.

spiderplant 26-11-2016 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35871838)
Yesterday evening the picture started going on & off again

That's a known error on the V6 when used with certain TVs. A software fix is in development, but in the meantime try going into the Video Output Formats settings menus and unticking 1080i.