Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Help with automatic driving (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33701297)

Central 28-08-2015 22:15

Help with automatic driving

Hi all,

I have a driving assessment tomorrow for a new job and its driving a automatic.

I normally drive a manual. But its been a few years since I drove a automatic and that was a relatives car.

During the test I don't want to mess up so whats the general rule on these questions.

1. If I come to a stop in traffic or a junction and the handbrake is applied. Should I move the gear stick into the N position or keep it in D?

2. If I come to a stop but I am about to move should I keep it in D with my foot on the brake?

I think that's all unless anyone else has more additional information that may help?

Many thanks

Hom3r 28-08-2015 22:29

Re: Help with automatic driving

Well tell the assessor you normally drive a manual.

I have drive an auto a few times.

The most important thing is put your left foot out of the way.

1. I would say Handbrake and N.
2. Yes, I did

Central 28-08-2015 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35795580)
Well tell the assessor you normally drive a manual.

I have drive an auto a few times.

The most important thing is put your left foot out of the way.

1. I would say Handbrake and N.
2. Yes, I did

All their vans are a automatic.

Damien 29-08-2015 08:03

Remember automatic DOESN'T mean it will drive itself. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Julian 29-08-2015 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35795599)
Remember automatic DOESN'T mean it will drive itself. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Did you get in the back seat? :)

Central 29-08-2015 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35795599)

Well clearly as I stated I drove one years ago.

Jimmy-J 29-08-2015 14:50

Never use your left foot, keep it on the floor at all times.

Kymmy 29-08-2015 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 35795646)

There's no actual law that says you can't left foot brake... For an assessment though probably best not to.

Matth 29-08-2015 23:26

I think what most automatic drivers DO, is hold it on the footbrake in D - the easiest, but not the safest.

N and handbrake is like manual (do not try to engage P unless actually parked and switching off - will often not release the key unless in P. P is also deliberately difficult to engage, requiring a double action of button or side+forward shift, as you do not want to slip into it accidentally!!!!)

The tough question, is D + handbrake acceptable? - I'll usually convert to that if I'm facing uphill, so that there is no chance of a rollback if the creep is insufficient to hold it when moving from brake to accelerator.

PS. If the "automatic" is anything other than a traditional torque converter type, then greater care is needed on (hill) starts, as it has an auto-clutch (tried a CVT once and hated it, as the intial clutch takeup was uncertain if treated too gently, and harsh if treated more firmly - by then, I was well used to my torque converter auto.

mrmistoffelees 30-08-2015 16:44

D and either foot brake or handbrake is a stupid thing to do its dangerous and increases wear and tear on gearbox, brakes etc.

Into neutral and handbrake as you would/should normally

Hom3r 31-08-2015 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 35795646)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35795677)
There's no actual law that says you can't left foot brake... For an assessment though probably best not to.

You can use your left foot to brake, but if you normally drive a manual you have to be more careful as you have the danger of pressing to hard, and having the effect of slamming the brakes on. (I think its to do with the amount of pressure you use to press the clutch down.)

I've seen some one do this and the Land Rovers rear wheels almost left the ground :D

weenie 31-08-2015 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Central (Post 35795578)
Hi all,

I have a driving assessment tomorrow for a new job and its driving a automatic.

I normally drive a manual. But its been a few years since I drove a automatic and that was a relatives car.

During the test I don't want to mess up so whats the general rule on these questions.

1. If I come to a stop in traffic or a junction and the handbrake is applied. Should I move the gear stick into the N position or keep it in D?

2. If I come to a stop but I am about to move should I keep it in D with my foot on the brake?

I think that's all unless anyone else has more additional information that may help?

Many thanks

I drive an automatic.
At a junction I put it in N with hand brake on.
If I come to a stop and about to move off i keep it in Drive and foot on brake.
When I park I put the car in P with handbrake on whereas hubby just parks with the car in P (no handbrake) which really bugs me :mad:

heero_yuy 02-09-2015 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35795893)
I drive an automatic.
At a junction I put it in N with hand brake on.
If I come to a stop and about to move off i keep it in Drive and foot on brake.
When I park I put the car in P with handbrake on whereas hubby just parks with the car in P (no handbrake) which really bugs me :mad:

Sometimes the parking pawl doesn't engage and then the car can roll away. I remember on a caravan site my father doing this and us sitting in the caravan when the car just took off on its own. My father managed to catch it and get the handbrake on before it wrecked at the bottom of the field. I think he only managed it because the handbrake was on the door side of the car rather than the centre.