Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   [Updated] Hollande is new President of France (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687172)

Damien 22-04-2012 20:34

[Updated] Hollande is new President of France

...as Le Pen scores 20%. :erm: Rather concerning result that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/fren...ns-2012-france

Chris 22-04-2012 20:45

re: [Updated] Hollande is next President of France

C'est la démocratie :shrug:

Damien 22-04-2012 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35417855)
C'est la démocratie :shrug:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Democracy simply doesn't work.

Osem 23-04-2012 08:50

Wonder if the Eurocrats are taking note of any of this or whether they'll just carry on regardless in their own deluded world... :rolleyes:

Ignitionnet 23-04-2012 09:45

If Hollande does win it'll have quite profound effects on the EU, as Alistair Heath notes.

http://www.cityam.com/latest-news/al...ll-our-futures

Quote:

Ultimately, that is the real story: an Hollande victory, coming as it would in the midst of the Eurozone’s endlessly drawn-out crisis, could destroy the Franco-German alliance that has powered European integration for so long. And if it does, all bets are off.
I'm personally struggling to see a downside to this, capital flight from France to the UK and a potential end to the attempts to integrate Europe further. Excellent.

---------- Post added at 08:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 ----------

The Le Pen result isn't surprising. When 1st world and 3rd world are mixed as they have been issues were inevitable, and resentment was inevitable especially when people are admonished to see economic benefits to immigration but struggle to do so when statistics rate immigration as being basically economically neutral as the doors were thrown open too wide.

Osem 23-04-2012 10:38

Looks like the Germans might soon be in need of a new buddy. No doubt they've been considering the implications of a Sarkozy defeat for some time and weighing up their political and economic options.

For me the downside would be panic and knee jerk reactions by various governments affecting the markets etc. and all the fallout that would cause. If the lemming Eurocrats were to take heed of the inevitable and indulge in a fundamental and controlled review of the EU then all might not be lost.

Damien 06-05-2012 20:18

Re: [Updated] Hollande is next President of France

Hollande is projected to have won the French Presidential Election with 52% of the vote, ousting one term President Sarkozy.

Ignitionnet 06-05-2012 20:22

Excellent. Hopefully it'll cause incredible issues for the Euro and in turn the EU project and we can get some sanity and sovereignty back.

denphone 06-05-2012 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35424266)
Hollande is projected to have won the French Presidential Election with 52% of the vote, ousting one term President Sarkozy.

Good at last we have got rid of that slippery slimeball.:tu:

Sirius 06-05-2012 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35424269)
Excellent. Hopefully it'll cause incredible issues for the Euro and in turn the EU project and we can get some sanity and sovereignty back.

Not been watching this as its EU stuff but is this new guy for or against the EU ??

Taf 06-05-2012 20:42

He has promised to renegociate all EU bail-out plans.

My missus is singing and dancing all over the house... I think she's happy that Sarkonazi has been toppled.

I wonder if they'll return that plane he ordered?

Maggy 06-05-2012 21:22

Hmm! It was close.Hollande got 51% and Sarkozy got 49%

mertle 06-05-2012 21:47

where does this leave cameron fabled partnership he signed with sarkosky. Dont see cameron be so cosy with Hollande lets not forgetting he ignored him when he went to france knowing elections close. Surely he would been diplomatic to meet Hollande.

I know going against grain of the worry but maybe he will take the banks on the extreme rich that maybe not bad thing. I think he will be good for france not for other countries that should be how it should be.

This closeness with merkel and sarkosky was to me bad for europe. I was actually suprised he got away with lot french still dont forget germans.

So suprised how close it was sakorsky played political harry carry.

I hope he has bottle go for those who really to blame and take on the witch at IMF the things they force is stupid.

We know who got the world in its mess seem the wrong people getting shafted for it.

I hope Hollande goes after them big style.

TheDaddy 06-05-2012 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35424295)
Hmm! It was close.Hollande got 51% and Sarkozy got 49%

And they had 80% turnout. bit surprised he conceded defeat so quickly when it was so close to.

Osem 06-05-2012 22:07

It'll be interesting to see how the markets react to this news even though it wasn't a huge surprise.

Can't see Merkle and Hollande getting on either - they seem poles apart when it comes to which financial medicine ought to be prescribed for the ailing EU.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...clash-eurozone

Interesting times ahead.