Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Keyboard / installation issue (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685888)

H0ND0 25-02-2012 23:58

Keyboard / installation issue

Hi Folks I’ve got a kind of puzzling problem that I can’t figure out & would be grateful of some help please.

I’m currently running XP & want to do a new installation; this is exactly what I did, as I’ve done many many many occasions before.

1 After inserting the Win CD I Booted the PC hit the Del key to get into BIOS in there I changed Boot from HD priority to Boot from CD first & HD second, I hit F10 to save the changes, the PC ran through BIOS following this it asked me if I wanted to Boot from CD or HD hit any key to Boot from CD I hit the space bar, please keep in mind from 1 above the keyboard is / was working fine.

Windows continues with the initial set-up after which it asks me to make a selection of options using the keyboard but for some odd reason this isn’t now working. :confused:

In an attempt to overcome this I’ve swapped from one USB port to another about 10 of them, no changes there, I’ve even swapped to an hardwired keyboard with still no change, plug in out more often than a Bulgarian fiddlers elbow goes up & down, still no change.

I know for a fact that both keyboards work in BIOS & also once windows is booted up, but neither will work during windows setup, I’m afraid I’m now at a complete loss to know what this problem could be.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks hondo

MadGamer 26-02-2012 00:05

Re: Keyboard / installation issue

Is the USB enabled in the Bios?

H0ND0 26-02-2012 00:26

Thanks very much for the reply. :)

I've got to be honest, I don't know, I'll take a look now, however I'd have thought it must be since I can hit Del and enter BIOS and make changes in there. :confused:

I might be a while :D

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35388338)
Is the USB enabled in the Bios?

Yep afraid so, unless theres any more that I'm not aware off.

USB Controllers Enabled

USB Legacy Enabled

USB Storage Enabled

Jimmy-J 26-02-2012 03:48

The reason the keyboard works until the point of pressing enter to continue installing Windows, is that the BIOS handles the support for controlling the USB devices, up until the Windows installation takes control.

Do you have a USB to PS2 adapter that you can try? Also try plugging the USB keyboard into a USB hub that's plugged into the front or upper USB ports at the rear. You can also try ejecting the Windows CD when you get the option to press enter to install. (I read somewhere that this fixed the problem for some people).

BTW, is your PC a Dell?

H0ND0 26-02-2012 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 35388366)
The reason the keyboard works until the point of pressing enter to continue installing Windows, is that the BIOS handles the support for controlling the USB devices, up until the Windows installation takes control.

Thats useful to know :)

Quote:

Do you have a USB to PS2 adapter that you can try? Also try plugging the USB keyboard into a USB hub that's plugged into the front or upper USB ports at the rear. You can also try ejecting the Windows CD when you get the option to press enter to install. (I read somewhere that this fixed the problem for some people).

Thanks & yep, I'll give both of those a try.

Interesting you seeing eject the disk, I found on the net before going to bed one guy had solved the same problem by disconnecting the mouse.

Quote:

BTW, is your PC a Dell?

No, it isn't a Dell but after what I Googled for & found last night, I can see where you're coming from.

Thanks Jimmy-J :)

ZrByte 26-02-2012 12:02

Try disabling legacy usb. It can cause issues with keyboards.

H0ND0 26-02-2012 15:31

Thanks very much Guys, using the PS2 sorted things out. :) A virgin install here. :D

Disabling legacy USB I'll keep up my sleeve for next time.

Thanks very much for everyones the input.

LSainsbury 26-02-2012 16:57

Hop you didn't plug anything into the PS/2 keyboard port without switching it off first. They hvae a nasty habbit of blowing the fuse rendering the PS/2 port useless...