Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   What Sky+ box is currently being supplied? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33622657)

Jon T 20-10-2007 19:25

What Sky+ box is currently being supplied?

As the title says.

What make and model of Sky+ box is currently being supplied.

Had my Amstrad DRX400 fail on me this morning, so i've used it as an excuse to upgrade to Sky+.

Also, reading through a couple of other threads, it looks as though if I can fix my Amstrad box, that I may be able to use it as a freeview box.

The Amstrad wont come out of standby and one of the capacitors on the power supply section on the Amstrad has a horribly domed top, reading various things on the internet(satcure etc) it looks like the capacitor in the power supply is probably the culprit. Anyway got nothing to loose other than a couple of quid for the component and a few centimetres of solder.

nicke261192 20-10-2007 20:29

Re: What Sky+ box is currently being supplied?

If you upgrade to Sky+ you have to take another contract out i think. Thats why i love Virgin Media :D They fix your box for free :D

BTW: you cant use it as a freeview box but you can use it as a freesat box

Stuart 20-10-2007 20:57

If he's happy soldering capacitors, I don't think he's going to worry about repairing the box if it does go wrong.

Jon T 20-10-2007 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart C (Post 34418637)
If he's happy soldering capacitors, I don't think he's going to worry about repairing the box if it does go wrong.

Quite happy with a soldering iron, and I don't stand to loose anything, so not bothered if the repair doesn't work.

and yes I know that in my case it'll be freesat, just thought that as I was talking about Sky that people would realise what I meant.

It's a pain in the rear at the moment, all we had was Sky, we don't have a TV aerial, so at the moment no TV for us till the Sky+ install on Tuesday.

Hom3r 20-10-2007 23:01

you could try web TV

Jon T 21-10-2007 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 34418689)
you could try web TV

I could, but it's irritating having to be up here in the spare/computer room just to watch a bit of telly, DVD Player has had more use yesterday than it's had all year!

Anyway, getting back to the original question, has anybody had Sky+ installed recently, and what was the make/model of the box?

Mick Fisher 21-10-2007 18:28

Thompson DSI8210

Jon T 21-10-2007 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Fisher (Post 34418960)
Thompson DSI8210

Cool, thanks Mick

Mick Fisher 22-10-2007 01:27

You're very welcome.

Cilonen 24-10-2007 21:23

I recently had to have a 3 month old Amstrad Sky+ box replaced due to the inputs dying completely.
Arranged for a new replacement (not a refurb) as the box was well inside warranty. Was hoping for Pace, as they are far more reliable.
Sky engineer went through his entire vans stock of new boxes to check - ALL Amstrad.
Since Sky bought Amstrad recently, I think we'll see less & less of the Pace & Thomson boxes.

ozsat 25-10-2007 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicke261192 (Post 34418630)
If you upgrade to Sky+ you have to take another contract out i think. Thats why i love Virgin Media :D They fix your box for free :D

They fix their box for free ;)

Graham M 25-10-2007 19:25

True, but I'd rather rent and have it sorted for free than buy and then be shafted with repair bills, wouldn't you?

Mick Fisher 26-10-2007 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeph (Post 34421782)
True, but I'd rather rent and have it sorted for free than buy and then be shafted with repair bills, wouldn't you?

Yep!! Fine in theory, but, the reality could be that VM is just as likely to shaft you by replacing your STB with some decade old "so-called refurbished" Pace poo that is not man enough to handle the demands of todays network and which promptly "falls over" as soon as the box swapper steps out of your front door with your old "broken?" Sammie under his arm. :(

Both VM and Sky's system contain pitfalls just waiting for the consumer to fall into. Bottom line is, if you're in luck you will have a good experience. Get a Friday afternoon appliance and you will likely be stuffed with reconditioned poo from both.

One difference though, New Sky Installs get a NEW box, this is not necessarily the case with VM installs as I understand it.

Chrysalis 29-10-2007 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cilonen (Post 34421016)
I recently had to have a 3 month old Amstrad Sky+ box replaced due to the inputs dying completely.
Arranged for a new replacement (not a refurb) as the box was well inside warranty. Was hoping for Pace, as they are far more reliable.
Sky engineer went through his entire vans stock of new boxes to check - ALL Amstrad.
Since Sky bought Amstrad recently, I think we'll see less & less of the Pace & Thomson boxes.

Exactly my thoughts, I have read more then once that the thompson and pace ones are better, my amstrad sky+ box is horrid.

MikeyB 01-11-2007 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Fisher (Post 34418960)
Thompson DSI8210

My Mum had Sky+ installed yesterday, and has got an Amstrad box.