Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Rental Van Incident in Toronto, Canada: 10 Dead (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706303)

Mick 23-04-2018 19:37

Rental Van Incident in Toronto, Canada: 10 Dead

https://news.sky.com/story/live-truc...ronto-11344311

Quote:

• A truck has hit up to 10 pedestrians in Toronto, police in Canada have said.
  • Video from the scene shows what appears to be at least four people dead.
  • Officers say the extent of victims' injuries is not yet known.

Ramrod 23-04-2018 21:19

Re: Rental Van Hits 8-10 Pedestrians in Toronto, Canada

Quote:

Toronto police are now reporting multiple fatalities following the incident which has seen a man, described as being “Middle-Eastern” in appearance, arrested a short distance away.

#BREAKING Witness to truck ramming into pedestrians tells local Toronto TV station that the driver looked wide-eyed, angry and Middle Eastern.

— Natasha Fatah (@NatashaFatah) April 23, 2018

The van used in the incident appears to have been rented from the Ryder truck rental company according to photos posted on social media.

After multiple pedestrians plowed down on Toronto sidewalk, driver gets out holding what appears to be a gun. Police arrest him. No shots fired. pic.twitter.com/xWHeylS1d8

— Michel Boyer (@BoyerMichel) April 23, 2018
link

Mick 23-04-2018 22:20

Re: Rental Van Hits 8-10 Pedestrians in Toronto, Canada

BREAKING: Official reports confirm 9 DEAD. 16 Injured, 5 in Critical condition.

Carth 23-04-2018 22:56

Re: Rental Van Incident in Toronto, Canada: 9 Dead

Is the motor vehicle becoming the weapon of choice for nutjobs?

How the heck do you try and prevent these kinds of attack?

Damien 24-04-2018 12:25

More details on suspect: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...to-van-attack/

Does like to be terrorism but possible mental issues and anger.

RizzyKing 24-04-2018 12:25

In practical terms Carth you can't unless your prepared to slow all traffic to a crawl with checkpoints and obstructions to prevent any speed in populated areas. If I'm honest I'm surprised it's taken them this long to use the most readily available weapon in the western world and see many more attacks of this nature for the foreseeable future sadly.

Carth 24-04-2018 13:08

Sadly I agree, unless you 'pedestrianise' vast areas of town/city centers the potential is always there.

I'm gonna stick my neck on the block by saying we're buggered. It's a sad state of affairs, all sympathy for the victims and their families, but even spending ££ zillions won't prevent it happening again.

I guess it all comes down to sheer luck in the end, much the same as a plane crash, a motorway pile-up, or being hit by lightning . . wrong place, wrong time.

All we can do is carry on living as we do, and hope that we personally get through unscathed.

Mick 24-04-2018 14:47

Re: Rental Van Incident in Toronto, Canada: 10 Dead

Goes to show cops in Canada are more restrained, a video clearly shows the suspect, trying to goad the cops in to shooting him, looked like he was holding a mobile phone and pretending it was a gun, cops did not shoot him dead which is what he was after.

Mr K 24-04-2018 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35944733)
Goes to show cops in Canada are more restrained, a video clearly shows the suspect, trying to goad the cops in to shooting him, looked like he was holding a mobile phone and pretending it was a gun, cops did not shoot him dead which is what he was after.

If police start shooting everyone with a mobile phone, we might have problems.

Mick 24-04-2018 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35944735)
If police start shooting everyone with a mobile phone, we might have problems.

Nowhere in my post did I say that was a good thing, Mr K. I was actually trying to praise them for not shooting him, where as in the U.S the cops can be trigger happy and shoot to kill. ;)

Mr K 24-04-2018 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35944739)
Nowhere in my post did I say that was a good thing, Mr K. I was actually trying to praise them for not shooting him, where as in the U.S the cops can be trigger happy and shoot to kill. ;)

Nowhere was i disagreeing with you Mick ;)

OLD BOY 24-04-2018 16:59

Well, it's not rocket science actually. You just segregate traffic from pedestrians.

It will take a long time to achieve, but all new designs should incorporate these principles, and we need to erect more bollards and traffic free zones in the meantime.

The only surprise is that we haven't been making much progress on this since the 1960s, when New Towns started to embrace these principles.

Dude111 24-04-2018 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth
Is the motor vehicle becoming the weapon of choice for nutjobs?

Must be......... This is the first I heard aboiut it happening in Canada though...

Very sad :(

The guy is lucky it wasnt the USA,they would have fired almost guaranteed!