Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Suspicious Activity Report (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705215)

Osem 02-08-2017 15:03

Re: Suspicious Activity Report

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35910399)
Think we might have to remove him from here lest we all get audited! :shocked:

:eeek:

:D

arcimedes 02-08-2017 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35910369)
A neighbour's son was contacted by HMRC after paying in around £50 cash per week over several months. It was pocket money from his grandparents. But guess what, there are limits to how much you can "gift" to your grandkids! Something to do with Inheritance Tax I think.

We looked this up a few months ago on gov.uk and from what I remember you can give them as much as you like if its coming from income and not affecting your lifestyle.
If its coming from your capital then I think the limit per grandchild is £1000.

Kursk 02-08-2017 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35910399)
Think we might have to remove him from here lest we all get audited! :shocked:

I could be wrong but I think the local cosa nostra is called the Cardiff Tafia :erm:

RichardCoulter 01-09-2017 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35910343)
IIRC anything over £1.000 has to be reported. Easiest way, keep it under that amount and spread it around.

That's correct and it hasn't been updated since it was introduced years ago.

Whenever I tried to report suspicious transactions years ago in a previous role the police were totally uninterested, so I stopped bothering.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35910369)
A neighbour's son was contacted by HMRC after paying in around £50 cash per week over several months. It was pocket money from his grandparents. But guess what, there are limits to how much you can "gift" to your grandkids! Something to do with Inheritance Tax I think.

Typical. They go after potential petty tax evasion whilst allowing rich people and companies to effectively decide whether to pay tax or not and if so, by how much.

Qtx 03-09-2017 20:57

Had my bank question me why I wanted to take £2000 of my own money out in cash. Told them it's none of their business and they said that was ok but they had to ask.

So it's not just putting money in.

Let them try and link a bitcoin wallet to me and question me about incoming and outgoings. Not happening :)

Osem 03-09-2017 22:09

Is this really a surprise? Why is anyone surprised that 'they' want to bring an end to cash transactions? 'They' continue to push 'tap and go' cards (which aren't secure), debit cards, credit cards etc. for a good reason. It's all a bit like selling us the dream of cheap electric cars - when there's no alternative the cost will rise, they'll no longer be cheap and and we'll have no alternative. IMHO this is far more about 'them' controlling us than trying to maximise the tax take.

Oh and before anyone offers me a tin foil hat, just check that you can see beyond the end of your nose.... ;)

Taf 15-09-2017 15:43

There was a big queue at the ASDA bureau d'exchange earlier (the £ went up against the euro). One by one they got to the front of the line, looked puzzled and left fuming (and some were swearing).

A handwritten notice said " All cash transactions to buy foreign currency over £850 require passport or national ID, plus proof of domicile. All transactions over £1850 require the same plus valid travel documents for a minimum 5 day stay outside the UK."

daveeb 15-09-2017 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35916639)
There was a big queue at the ASDA bureau d'exchange earlier (the £ went up against the euro). One by one they got to the front of the line, looked puzzled and left fuming (and some were swearing).

A handwritten notice said " All cash transactions to buy foreign currency over £850 require passport or national ID, plus proof of domicile. All transactions over £1850 require the same plus valid travel documents for a minimum 5 day stay outside the UK."

And it's best to keep the transaction printout if you want to exchange the currency back again after the holiday otherwise you get the same rigmarole all over again. :rolleyes:

Damien 15-09-2017 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35916639)

Hasn't the requirement for proof of identity been required for foreign exchange been required for a while. I've always had that asked of me for sums less than £850.

Osem 17-11-2017 21:29

All this fuss about money laundering and tax evasion yet I've just seen yet more cases of debtors settling debts to High Court Sheriffs, this time with £8k and £1500 in cash. No questions asked about where the money had come from or whether any tax had been paid on it. :shrug:

Despite all the money laundering hoops we have to jump through nowadays, some sections of society seem more than able to conduct their affairs and deal with the courts in cash and nobody gives a stuff.

Mr K 17-11-2017 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35925415)
All this fuss about money laundering and tax evasion yet I've just seen yet more cases of debtors settling debts to High Court Sheriffs, this time with £8k and £1500 in cash. No questions asked about where the money had come from or whether any tax had been paid on it. :shrug:

Despite all the money laundering hoops we have to jump through nowadays, some sections of society seem more than able to conduct their affairs and deal with the courts in cash and nobody gives a stuff.

Debtors settle debts ? Obviously up to no good then, probably lefty hypocrites too I should think :rolleyes:

daveeb 17-11-2017 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35925418)
Debtors settle debts ? Obviously up to no good then, probably lefty hypocrites too I should think :rolleyes:

Yup, the usual suspects ;)

Maggy 18-11-2017 09:03

It hasn't become illegal to keep your money under the mattress yet..However if you can't prove where you got it you may well have problems if it get's stolen and you report the theft.

Osem 18-11-2017 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35925438)
It hasn't become illegal to keep your money under the mattress yet..However if you can't prove where you got it you may well have problems if it get's stolen and you report the theft.

That's the point I was making. These people weren't asked to explain where it all came from at all. Try buying something with a wad of thousands in cash and see how far you get. I don't have any issue at all with anyone having that amount of cash I'm just wondering why they never seem to be asked where it came from even though it all looks very suspicious and in many cases has probably never been declared to HMRC. :shrug: