Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Sky Sports Rights (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705078)

muppetman11 05-07-2017 10:22

Sky Sports Rights

What Sports does Sky currently have the rights to that won't be covered by a Specific Sport channel ie Sky Football ?

Off the top of my head I can think of

Rugby League
WWE (If you can even call that a Sport)
NFL
Tennis (not sure which events)

I'm sure people can think of many more , my train of thought is are these the Sports Sky is more willing to lose rather than getting in a bidding war for ?

alwaysabear 05-07-2017 20:52

Re: Sky Sports Rights

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906214)
What Sports does Sky currently have the rights to that won't be covered by a Specific Sport channel ie Sky Football ?

Rugby League
NFL

I'm sure people can think of many more , my train of thought is are these the Sports Sky is more willing to lose rather than getting in a bidding war for ?

I am almost sure Sky have the NFL rights until 2019 they signed a 5 year deal in 2014 when they took the rights to all NFL games, so they they still have a couple of seasons left. I would be very surprised if they gave up the NFL rights after growing the sport so much in the UK over the last 20 or so years. Found what I was looking for;http://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12...l-with-the-nfl

Chad 05-07-2017 21:03

Quote:

Rugby League
NFL

Their deal with Matchroom Sports for boxing runs until 2021. Their deal with Matchroom for darts expires 2019.

Other than that I can't think of much else.

I wonder if the rise of apps might also sway SKY's future sports renewal decisions? It might also may play a factor in some sports decisions to agree a new deal. Tennis have their ATP live app, WWE have WWE Network and NFL have NFL Game Pass. Let's say none of these sports agree new deals with SKY, or jump to BT, and decide to beef up their apps offering in the UK i.e. Smackdown and Raw being added exclusively to WWE Network or more live games on NFL Game Pass etc.... If their sport is receiving little to no coverage on TV then are fans more likely to sign up to their services paying them money directly?

It could also work as a good strategy for SKY. Say they don't renew their rights deals and these sports do beef up their apps. Would SKY consider signing deals to have their apps feature exclusively on SKY Q? (Excusive in terms of pay TV) That way SKY can offer the sports to their customers without having to pay for the actual rights. SKY Customers can then chose to subscribe to these services to watch on their SKY Q box, or other smart devices, in addition to their SKY subscription.

johnathome 05-07-2017 23:58

WWE isn't classed as a sport because they would have to have random drug tests :)

It's why they re-branded as entertainment a few years ago ;)

denphone 06-07-2017 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35906319)
WWE isn't classed as a sport because they would have to have random drug tests :)

It's why they re-branded as entertainment a few years ago ;)

And its fixed as well...;)

OLD BOY 06-07-2017 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906328)
And its fixed as well...;)

:Yikes: Gobsmacked!

Media Boy UK 06-07-2017 09:58

Sky Sports has got WWE until New Year Day in 2020.

@Den how long do some Boxing Matches goes on for?

With WWE PPVS your are given up to three hours of matches.

denphone 06-07-2017 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906337)
:Yikes: Gobsmacked!

Knowing you l gather you think otherwise.;):D

OLD BOY 06-07-2017 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906343)
Knowing you l gather you think otherwise.;):D

You are such a cheeky sod, Den! But I like you...:wavey:

denphone 06-07-2017 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35906384)
You are such a cheeky sod, Den! But I like you...:wavey:

Its what you call jesting banter and not being a miserable sod like some..:)

carravetta 06-07-2017 16:11

Sky will be in big trouble from a football standpoint should they not get the football league rights from 2020.

denphone 06-07-2017 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by carravetta (Post 35906428)
Sky will be in big trouble from a football standpoint should they not get the football league rights from 2020.

But they will get them in my unknowledgeable opinion.;)

bubblegun 09-07-2017 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by carravetta (Post 35906428)

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35906430)
But they will get them in my unknowledgeable opinion.;)

If there was a channel for non-Premier League football then they would realistically NEED to keep English Football League, Scottish and Spanish Leagues for the channel to viable.

japitts 11-07-2017 09:14

Quote:

Rugby League
NFL

Rugby Union, currently:
Sky have...England home internationals, shared European club rugby, and all SANZAR tests.

They lose the European rugby as of 2018/19 season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports...United_Kingdom seems pretty accurate, and from my reading (and channel flicking during events), Sky have mens tennis and BT have womens.

OLDGOLD 12-07-2017 08:54

Quote:

Rugby League
NFL

Darts