Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   50M : WTF is up with my connection? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685838)

Risco 23-02-2012 21:23

WTF is up with my connection?

My connection has gone to total crap!
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Andrewcrawford23 23-02-2012 21:59

Re: WTF is up with my connection?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Risco (Post 35387229)
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

ok i know virign have some bad area but if that is due to a over ulisation issue that is taking the ****

Risco 23-02-2012 22:11

2 Attachment(s)
Aiii, totally rediculous. Typical as I have been away from home for nearly 3 months due to a serious motorbike accident and come back to this crap! Connection was perfect before I was away. :erm:

I spoke to offshore and they have booked an engineer for Saturday. He seems to think the modem has had it, could that be the case as my signal levels seem ok?

Sephiroth 23-02-2012 22:22

Did you post from the connection? In other words is the connection off? Because the modem stats, if taken whilst TBB was showing red, are good.

Risco 23-02-2012 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35387269)
Did you post from the connection? In other words is the connection off? Because the modem stats, if taken whilst TBB was showing red, are good.

Yeah I am and was posting from the connection. I was also getting 8mbps download speed while it was going crazy. It has sorta recovered a bit, however I am barely breaking 30mbps on a speedtest. Downloading from Ubuntu gives me between 3 and 4 MB/sec as I post now?

Sepiroth, any suggestions as to what is going wrong?:erm:

Sephiroth 23-02-2012 22:31

It's possible that your IP address has changed. You prolly had the modem/hub off or VM reset it after some area outage/works.

I'd go back into TBB, set up another graph (it'll get your current IP address) and see what happens.

Risco 23-02-2012 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35387276)
It's possible that your IP address has changed. You prolly had the modem/hub off or VM reset it after some area outage/works.

I'd go back into TBB, set up another graph (it'll get your current IP address) and see what happens.

Just tried and it says I am already monitoring this address ( same IP ) Should I still set up another one? Oh and is it possible some greedy SOB new customer is hogging all the bandwidth?

thenry 23-02-2012 23:37

is your modem connected to a router? have you checked over whether ping response is allowed.

try get rid of your old monitor on TBB and set up a new 1 from scratch

Risco 23-02-2012 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35387290)
is your modem connected to a router? have you checked over whether ping response is allowed.

try get rid of your old monitor on TBB and set up a new 1 from scratch

Yeah, I was looking at the FAQ and noticed I did not have respond to internet ping enabled on my router. So I have deleted the monitor and set up a brand new one.

New live graph ( assume this will update on the fly? )

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2012/02/25.png

DABhand 23-02-2012 23:59

If all else fails.....

Hit it with THE stick.

thenry 24-02-2012 00:19

good stuff. yeah its your live graph

Quote:

Originally Posted by DABhand (Post 35387296)
If all else fails.....

Hit it with THE stick.

lol

boroboi 24-02-2012 00:45

Looks pretty similar to mine at the moment, online gaming impossible. FIFA is a delay fest, so frustrating.

I saw someone say that it could be someone hogging bandwidth so ive just cracked off 20GB in the last hour in the hopes that ive ****ed somebody off.

thenry 24-02-2012 00:57

that doesnt look at bad as some of the others.. mine included. have you posted your results mate?

:LOL:

m419 24-02-2012 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Risco (Post 35387229)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...23-02-2012.png

Mine is unusually bad tonight, pages not loading properly

Sephiroth 24-02-2012 10:08

Risco's graph is a perfectly good gaming graph IMO. True it's not peak time. But if Boroboi's graph is like that at peak time, his gaming is more likely suffering from congestion at the peering point between VM and the internet routed towards the game server.