Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702913)

Ken W 10-05-2016 10:17

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Virgin Media will launch a new set-top box as it looks to compete with the recently-introduced Sky Q.

According to the Daily Telegraph, Virgin Media intends to bring the new device to market at the start of 2017, but it may try to make it available in time for the Christmas period.

denphone 10-05-2016 10:29

Re: Virgin Media will launch a new set-top box

Confirmed in the press release this morning.

http://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/pre...port-FINAL.pdf

Stephen 10-05-2016 10:43

Its not just a new STB but a new platform as well. I am betting it will be Horizon.

Quote:

Enhancing our TV platform in the U.K.:
* Added new on-demand programming in Q1
* Working on further improvements to user-interface in the second half of 2016
* Preparing to launch new set-top box platform

OLD BOY 10-05-2016 11:02

Horizon is likely to be the successor to the new Tivo. I would be surprised if they launched both boxes at around the same time, and I think it likely that their existing contract with Tivo would prevent that from happening anyway.

muppetman11 10-05-2016 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35836636)
Horizon is likely to be the successor to the new Tivo. I would be surprised if they launched both boxes at around the same time, and I think it likely that their existing contract with Tivo would prevent that from happening anyway.

The above quote from Stephen says preparing to launch a new set top box platform suggesting the new box won't be a TiVo.

denphone 10-05-2016 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35836636)

Well Stephen is usually in the know with these things so l would take what he says seriously OB.

steveh 10-05-2016 11:15

While it would seem less optimal to launch a new TiVo box at this stage, the features that have been talked about so far like "Series Link Plus" seemed to fit in more with the TiVo platform though than with current Horizon capabilities. Plans can of course change and the indications before were that the new box would launch a lot earlier.

oliver1948uk 10-05-2016 11:18

I thought series link plus (and some other improvements) was an upgrade coming this year to the existing Tivo

OLD BOY 10-05-2016 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35836639)
Well Stephen is usually in the know with these things so l would take what he says seriously OB.

I'm not saying Stephen is wrong about Horizon, just that the launch of the new Tivo is likely to come first.

'Preparing to launch' is different from 'will launch'.

denphone 10-05-2016 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35836641)
While it would seem less optimal to launch a new TiVo box at this stage, the features that have been talked about so far like "Series Link Plus" seemed to fit in more with the TiVo platform though than with current Horizon capabilities. Plans can of course change and the indications before were that the new box would launch a lot earlier.

You have to remember the timelines for launching new STB's have to be very fluid as there are many little things that can set it back sometimes.

OLD BOY 10-05-2016 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 35836642)
I thought series link plus (and some other improvements) was an upgrade coming this year to the existing Tivo

Yes, that is correct.

muppetman11 10-05-2016 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35836643)
I'm not saying Stephen is wrong about Horizon, just that the launch of the new Tivo is likely to come first.

They haven't mentioned the launch of a new Tivo have they ? If so where ?

All the wording suggests the new box is a completely new platform hence Stephens comment about Horizon.

Stephen 10-05-2016 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35836643)

Have VM actually stated that there is a new TiVo coming?? Or have people just assumed that is what is coming?

The bit I quoted actually states a new platform so to me that is not a new TiVo.

1andrew1 10-05-2016 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35836646)
They haven't mentioned the launch of a new Tivo have they ? If so where ?

All the wording suggests the new box is a completely new platform hence Stephens comment about Horizon.

What's also quite interesting is that April's Telegraph article suggested that a new box would be launched followed by an update to the distribution system to facilitate Horizon. If the new box was a Horizon box, surely this would take place before the box was launched.
Quote:

At the turn of the year it will launch a new set-top box to rival Sky Q, with ultra-high-definition pictures and a similar ability to sling programmes to tablets and smartphones around the home.
Beyond that, there will be a major overhaul of the ageing plumbing that powers Virgin Media’s broadcasting, to allow it to shift to Liberty Global’s next generation distribution system, Horizon, which is already in use elsewhere in Europe.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...sform-its-neg/

I appreciate that VM does not want to give too much confidential information away hence the possible ambiguity. And it could be that the info Media Boy posted about a new Tivo pre-Olympics was a red herring fed to him to confuse the competition!

denphone 10-05-2016 13:12

Indeed l think you have hit the nail on the head Andrew.:)