Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   HMRC to sell taxpayers' financial data (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33697416)

denphone 19-04-2014 06:38

HMRC to sell taxpayers' financial data

The personal financial data of millions of taxpayers could be sold to private firms under laws being drawn up by HM Revenue & Customs in a move branded "dangerous" by tax professionals and "borderline insane" by a senior Conservative MP.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...taxpayers-data

Not a good idea in my mind after the debacles of the Government's plan to share "anonymised" medical records with third parties.

Osem 19-04-2014 09:45

Re: HMRC to sell taxpayers' financial data

'Could' being the operative word. It's a proposal and a pretty stupid one IMHO, given the string of high profile failures (technical, security and otherwise) which often seem to characterise such projects.

martyh 19-04-2014 09:58

Should this ever become a reality i think it inevitable that HMRC will cock it up ,also ,will we ever know they are doing it or will we find out in 5yrs time when someone leaves a removable drive on a train

Ravenheart 19-04-2014 10:00

Why not start with a trial, of say 650 certain people, run that for say 5 years and see how it goes.

Government + IT = total disaster

Mr Angry 19-04-2014 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenheart (Post 35690257)

Government requirement for IT + private sector provision of same = total disaster

Fixed that for you.

Osem 19-04-2014 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenheart (Post 35690257)
Why not start with a trial, of say 650 certain people, run that for say 5 years and see how it goes.

Government + IT = total disaster

Somehow I think if our glorious leaders were required to be part of the testing of all new rules, regulations, systems etc., there'd be rather less appetite for change amongst them and what change there was would be far better thought through.

martyh 19-04-2014 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35690327)
Somehow I think if our glorious leaders were required to be part of the testing of all new rules, regulations, systems etc., there'd be rather less appetite for change amongst them.

HMRC wouldn't bother anyway they only want to sell tax payers details ;)

Ignitionnet 19-04-2014 14:38

Fantastic idea. What could go wrong?

Osem 19-04-2014 14:40

Mind you HMRC already lost the personal details of 25m child benefit claimants so maybe there's not much else to lose...

solitaire 19-04-2014 15:33

How does this idea square with the Data Protection Act? Mind you, with the Political parties we have nowadays nothing should really surprise us.

Hugh 19-04-2014 15:36

It's supposed to be anonymised and aggregated, with no actual personally identifying information......

Supposed to be.....

Osem 19-04-2014 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35690350)
It's supposed to be anonymised and aggregated, with no actual personally identifying information......

Supposed to be.....

IIRC the same was said about the GP data but I was briefly listening to a discussion about that today and someone was saying that it can still be linked to individuals/addresses. Not sure how but something to do with postcodes I think.

Qtx 19-04-2014 18:40

As with care.data there will be a date if birth and a postcode as part of the anonymised data. Likely to be only one person in a postcode with a particular date of birth. Easy to identify a person cross referencing with another database.

Sirius 20-04-2014 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35690360)
IIRC the same was said about the GP data but I was briefly listening to a discussion about that today and someone was saying that it can still be linked to individuals/addresses. Not sure how but something to do with postcodes I think.

Thats why i informed my Doctor that i do not want my information passed on.

weenie 21-04-2014 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35690225)
The personal financial data of millions of taxpayers could be sold to private firms under laws being drawn up by HM Revenue & Customs in a move branded "dangerous" by tax professionals and "borderline insane" by a senior Conservative MP.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...taxpayers-data

Not a good idea in my mind after the debacles of the Government's plan to share "anonymised" medical records with third parties.

Is this wrong IMO YES ..
Does it surprise me NO ..