Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Budget (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704588)

Mr K 08-03-2017 22:53

Budget

Not a bad Budget I thought. Not much mention of the crisis in the NHS, and how they are going to solve it, but no surprise there. However, it's about time the self employed their fair share, well done Phil. Hilarious to see the self employed Tory columnists going apoplectic :p: Brexit is going to cost big time, and we are all going to have to pay for 'taking back our country', from God knows who. Welcome to the real world. Lots more tax rises to come.

Mick 08-03-2017 23:03

Re: Budget

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35889208)
Not a bad Budget I thought. Not much mention of the crisis in the NHS, and how they are going to solve it, but no surprise there. However, it's about time the self employed their fair share, well done Phil. Hilarious to see the self employed Tory columnists going apoplectic :p: Brexit is going to cost big time, and we are all going to have to pay for 'taking back our country', from God knows who. Welcome to the real world. Lots more tax rises to come.

:rolleyes:

What a pathetic, doom and gloom opinionated view you have. You are of course wrong. Brexit was not even themed in today's budget, was not even mentioned once. So you're wrong. (as always).

And no we won't turn this in to another brexit thread for you to slate with your wrongful, one sided, badly pessimistic views on the subject.

Mr K 08-03-2017 23:09

Yes that was strange Brexit wasn't mentioned seeing as they are supposed to be triggering Article 50 this month . Second thoughts ;)

Mick 08-03-2017 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35889213)
Yes that was strange Brexit wasn't mentioned seeing as they are supposed to be triggering Article 50 this month . Second thoughts ;)

Dream on. :dozey:

Maggy 08-03-2017 23:19

Quote:

The self employed get no sick pay,no maternity leave/allowance and no holiday pay..

Mr K 08-03-2017 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35889218)
The self employed get no sick pay,no maternity leave/allowance and no holiday pay..

However they do get 'cash in hand'.

nomadking 08-03-2017 23:42

Quote:

That is meant to factored into the rates they charge in the first place.

1andrew1 09-03-2017 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35889219)

That may be the case for some tradespeople but many people invoice large companies and don't get cash in hand.

The Ukip-sympathetic Telegraph has gone to town on the Conservatives' promises not to raise NI. The Conservatives should have printed them on the side of a bus instead as that doesn't count as a real promise! :D
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...aise-national/

nomadking 09-03-2017 00:48

It's not increasing NI, it's equalizing the rates in return for equalizing the benefits. Seems fair.
Quote:

Mr Hammond said the different National Insurance rates had traditionally reflected a disparity in pension and benefit entitlement between self-employed people and those in employment.
But he said these had now been "very substantially reduced", and that the government would also consult on addressing disparities in relation to parental benefits.

papa smurf 09-03-2017 07:13

Quote:

hence why we all ask "how much for cash".

TheDaddy 09-03-2017 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35889213)

Very strange considering there was talk the other day of the chancellor squirreling 60 billion away to insulate us, insulate us, what's he gonna do, burn it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35889226)
The Ukip-sympathetic Telegraph has gone to town on the Conservatives' promises not to raise NI. The Conservatives should have printed them on the side of a bus instead as that doesn't count as a real promise! :D
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...aise-national/

Oh yes the bus, the 30 million a day, 3 billion a week, 9 trillion an hour or what ever figure it was certain brextremists plucked out of their backsides, Phil should've read that rather than the gloomy pamphlet that dropped through all our doors, if he had we might not need insulating.

Osem 09-03-2017 08:25

Quote:

Mere details of course, they don't tend to feature much in the OP's jaundiced stereotyping. For him the self employed are clearly all a bunch of tax fiddling cheats who milk the system. :rolleyes:

spanna 09-03-2017 08:29

Holiday pay isn't paid by the government anyway is it?

Ramrod 09-03-2017 08:43

Quote:

However, it's about time the self employed their fair share

:rolleyes:
Quote:

and we are all going to have to pay for 'taking back our country', from God knows who.
If you don't know from whom, by now, then you are as thick as two short planks :dozey:

Or are you simply trolling? :confused:

---------- Post added at 08:43 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------

Quote:

However they can get 'cash in hand'.

Fixed that for you to eliminate the massive assumption you made in your statement. :rolleyes:
Not everyone who is self employed is fiddling (or can fiddle) things.

Mr K 09-03-2017 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35889242)
Fixed that for you to eliminate the massive assumption you made in your statement. :rolleyes:
Not everyone who is self employed is fiddling (or can fiddle) things.

Oh dear Mick won't be pleased with you ! http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...7&postcount=12 (however, fwiw don't object to your 'edit', so don't be too hard on him Mick ;) )

tbf 'cash in hand' was a bit 'tongue in cheek', however there are many tax advantages to being self employed, some legal, some not. Those taxed at source have no such room for manoeuvre. Employed/Self employed - pro's and cons with each. However self employed paying less NI for the same services is clearly unfair, and yesterday it was partly put right.

Ramrod 09-03-2017 11:19

I'll take my beating :D

1andrew1 09-03-2017 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35889235)
Very strange considering there was talk the other day of the chancellor squirreling 60 billion away to insulate us, insulate us, what's he gonna do, burn it.

How can you squirrel £60bn away if you're £1trillion in debt? I guess it's a bit like taking money out on a credit card and investing it in a savings account!

Taf 09-03-2017 11:33

Smokers got hammered again, and this time by a variation in the way tobacco is taxed... now by "minimum price". It'll be alcohol next.

All the usual sites said "no increases for alcohol" but those taxes are indexed so happen anyway, they don't need to be announced in the budget.

Mick 09-03-2017 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35889267)
I'll take my beating :D

Given that Mr K, has signalled he appears fine with your post in which you modified the quote, ever so slightly and thus, did not completely misrepresent what he had said, there is no case to answer.

Chrysalis 09-03-2017 20:35

Budget seems good to me, increased money for social care, a tax rise to fund it and some cuts to perks pensioners get.

Yet the press's reaction to a minor tax increase is pathetic, how do they expect things to be funded?

I will happily pay the tax increase which I am affected by.

nomadking 09-03-2017 20:59

The NI thing is about closing a tax loophole. For the most part we are not talking about entrepreneurs in any sense of the word. They are mostly doing the same sort of work that employees are doing. If you are going to benefit from NI contributions in the same way as employees, expect to pay the same rates.

Quote:

The IFS said the chancellor's 2% increase in NICs for the self employed closed a small fraction of the gap between employees and the self employed.

Chrysalis 09-03-2017 21:08

Like I said I am affected and have no issue with it. :)

But you can bet there is people out there throwing a fit over this.

Mr K 09-03-2017 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35889390)
Like I said I am affected and have no issue with it. :)

But you can bet there is people out there throwing a fit over this.

Yes most of them Tory 'Daily Mail' voters, which make it all the more funny :D The same voters who expect the health service to keep delivering with increased demand, but still expect nothing but tax cuts.
tbf it was Dave who said no tax rises, not Phil, who is now my hero ;)

Chris 09-03-2017 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35889387)
The NI thing is about closing a tax loophole. For the most part we are not talking about entrepreneurs in any sense of the word. They are mostly doing the same sort of work that employees are doing. If you are going to benefit from NI contributions in the same way as employees, expect to pay the same rates.

Self employed people do not benefit in the same way as employees. We don't get statutory sick pay. Employees do. We don't get maternity/paternity leave. We receive less from the system so it is entirely fair that we pay less in, at least as long as we're going to continue the fiction that we are actually paying in to an insurance scheme, which we're not, really. It's just income tax by other means.

nomadking 09-03-2017 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35889404)
Self employed people do not benefit in the same way as employees. We don't get statutory sick pay. Employees do. We don't get maternity/paternity leave. We receive less from the system so it is entirely fair that we pay less in, at least as long as we're going to continue the fiction that we are actually paying in to an insurance scheme, which we're not, really. It's just income tax by other means.

They charge more than employees are paid. That is meant to cover the other employee benefits. The longer term plans are to try and implement those other NI benefits for the self-employed. The new self-employed entitlement to state pension is now, not in 30-40 years time.
Quote:

The government says this was traditionally down to a lesser entitlement to benefits and pensions, but that these disparities have mostly been removed, so the difference in rates is unfair
Quote:

In April 2016, self-employed people were given rights to the state earnings-related pension scheme, which offers an extra £1,890 annually to those who have made 35 years of contributions – providing a boost of £37,500 over a 20-year retirement.
However, the combined changes in NIC contributions announced in the spring budget will cost a self-employed person just £193 each year, equating to £7,720 over a 40-year working life.
Paying out £7,720 to get £37,500 still seems a good deal for the self-employed.

Maggy 10-03-2017 09:21

I think it might be a vote loser..

denphone 10-03-2017 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35889429)

Well looking at it this morning they are delaying it until the Autumn after a rebellion by senior Conservatives, including a government minister.

Mr K 10-03-2017 09:41

Quote:

The election is ages away so they aren't bothered. Manifesto's from all parties are irrelevant once they've been elected.

tbh it's telling to see these Tory MP's going mad over a few pence rise in tax. If only they could get so irate about the state of the Health Service, or funding in Schools. Silly me, forgot, none of them use the NHS, or send their kids to state schools. All they are interested are in tax cuts for themselves, which the plebs should fund.

Maggy 10-03-2017 15:35

Well it will affect my daughter..she had to give up a 9-5 job due to debilitating migraine attacks.She has taken up working from home as a writers assistant and so had to go self employed so she could earn around around the attacks..So not all self employed are selfish **** avoiding paying their way...

Horizon 10-03-2017 15:54

Quote:

Let see, shall we?

No one knows, including the EU, what will happen in the Brexit negotiations.

A lot of pessimism around, but how about a bit of optimism instead?

Unless there's dire hard EU loving fanatics here, which I don't think there are, leaving the EU was the right decision. Even a okay-ish deal will put us in a better position long term than the EU. (and yes I do expect there to be some pain soon, but it will pass.)

Osem 10-03-2017 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35889482)
Let see, shall we?

No one knows, including the EU, what will happen in the Brexit negotiations.

A lot of pessimism around, but how about a bit of optimism instead?

Unless there's dire hard EU loving fanatics here, which I don't think there are, leaving the EU was the right decision. Even a okay-ish deal will put us in a better position long term than the EU. (and yes I do expect there to be some pain soon, but it will pass.)

Yep, as we know, there's no gain without pain and there's plenty of the latter ahead for the EU regardless of Brexit.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35889479)
Well it will affect my daughter..she had to give up a 9-5 job due to debilitating migraine attacks.She has taken up working from home as a writers assistant and so had to go self employed so she could earn around around the attacks..So not all self employed are selfish **** avoiding paying their way...

Correct. It's odd how some people will deride negative stereotyping but don't mind indulging in it when it suits.

martyh 10-03-2017 18:34

To be self employed one has to register as self employed and that will mean they will fill out tax returns .No one can simply say "i am self employed" and decide not to pay tax or nics.Also i would point out that self employed people have always had access to the state pension and other contribution based benefits via class 2 nics ,which although voluntary are paid on top of compulsory Nics (class 4)

Pierre 10-03-2017 21:59

Quote:

What decade are you living in?

Cash maybe king. But as a day to day transaction facility it's on life support.

Self employed tradesmen now need to have cardpay facilities, and many apps as well as Paypal are used.

Cash in hand is a thing of the past.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35889275)
Smokers got hammered again, and this time by a variation in the way tobacco is taxed... now by "minimum price". It'll be alcohol next.

All the usual sites said "no increases for alcohol" but those taxes are indexed so happen anyway, they don't need to be announced in the budget.

Cigarettes should be £10 for 20, hell no make it £20 , a £1 a cig.

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

Quote:

Possibly but it impacts a very small section of the electorate.

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35889479)

And will this impact her?

Does she earn more than £16,000 a year? ( I think that's the correct figure) if not this won't impact her, she may even be better off.

As ever there's loads detail,behind the headlines

Mr K 10-03-2017 22:28

It's all about making the tax system fairer. Listen to Phil and Mother Theresa, they don't tell lies ;)

Hugh 10-03-2017 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35889545)
It's all about making the tax system fairer. Listen to Phil and Mother Theresa, they don't tell lies ;)

You should be in marketing or politics - empty sound bites, no factual back up....

1andrew1 10-03-2017 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35889551)
You should be in marketing or politics - empty sound bites, no factual back up....

I think Mr K is joking. :D

nomadking 10-03-2017 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35889551)

Quote:

The IFS said the chancellor's 2% increase in NICs for the self employed closed a small fraction of the gap between employees and the self employed.
Quote:

The government says this was traditionally down to a lesser entitlement to benefits and pensions, but that these disparities have mostly been removed, so the difference in rates is unfair
Quote:

In April 2016, self-employed people were given rights to the state earnings-related pension scheme, which offers an extra £1,890 annually to those who have made 35 years of contributions – providing a boost of £37,500 over a 20-year retirement.
However, the combined changes in NIC contributions announced in the spring budget will cost a self-employed person just £193 each year, equating to £7,720 over a 40-year working life.
£193/year with a return of £1,890/year. How is that not a good deal?

Hugh 10-03-2017 22:59

I was being ironic, as was Mr K....

Chrysalis 11-03-2017 09:17

To clarify my earlier comments a bit more, I dont support targeting a part of the population that is perhaps considered the easiest to hit, I expect they thought by targeting self employed it would not generate much bad publicity. But more that I support tax rises in general.

Certainly I think the UK population somehow needs reeducating that tax rises need to happen, because of all the tax cuts in the past decade or so, everyone seems to have got used to an idea that we can just have everlasting tax cuts which is clearly not sustainable unless you are david cameron who thinks we can make it work by just dismantling the public sector.

The party policy at election time to promise no rise in income tax, NI and VAT was just irresponsible.

May seems to have her hands tied by promises of the previous leader, she could untie the hands by winning an election without that manifesto but of course winning the election is not a certainty even with labour been as unpopular as they are now strange things can happen.

1andrew1 15-03-2017 11:51

NI increases scrapped.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39278968

denphone 15-03-2017 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35890066)

Good grief that is a fairly quick U-Turn Andrew.

Mick 15-03-2017 12:38

I like how in PMQ's idiotic Jeremy Corbyn, claims the government is in chaos over the U-Turn. So laughable from him, but I liked TM's reply that if she wants to take lectures on 'Chaos', she will approach him and his party.

1andrew1 15-03-2017 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890070)

The whole thing's a farce but to its credit, the Government has moved swiftly. After Osborne's omnishambles budget, the Government took two months to drop the higher taxes on static caravans and pasties.

Osem 15-03-2017 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35890073)
I like how in PMQ's idiotic Jeremy Corbyn, claims the government is in chaos over the U-Turn. So laughable from him, but I liked TM's reply that if she wants to take lectures on 'Chaos', she will approach him and his party.

Corbyn - Pot kettle black... lol

He couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. He's utterly inept and deeply uninspiring.

Kursk 15-03-2017 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35890077)

He couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. He's utterly inept and deeply uninspiring.

Gawd, ol' Jeremy blew a big chance to embarrass the Government. He's just not quick-witted enough :dozey:

Mick 15-03-2017 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35890077)

This is it, the stupid fool won't step aside and as along as he remains, Labour are finished.

denphone 15-03-2017 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35890082)
This is it, the stupid fool won't step aside and as along as he remains, Labour are finished.

Rumour is the unelectable Corbyn will go next year.

Kursk 15-03-2017 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890086)
Rumour is the unelectable Corbyn will go next year.

Perhaps the poor old bugger just isn't sure which way is OUT :erm:

heero_yuy 15-03-2017 13:56

Looks like "spreadsheet" Phil's just had that pasty tax moment.

What looks good on paper can really backfire. Didn't take long. :(

denphone 15-03-2017 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35890089)
Looks like "spreadsheet" Phil's just had that pasty tax moment.

What looks good on paper can really backfire. Didn't take long. :(

If political parties break the pledges of their election manifesto the public have long memories and don't forget it..

1andrew1 15-03-2017 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890090)
If political parties break the pledges of their election manifesto the public have long memories and don't forget it..

I guess the issues are:
- How the Chancellor replaces the missing revenue.
- Will there be any political ramifications? Osborne survived his Omnishambles Budget but the knives from the leavers might be sharpened for Hammond if he makes another mistake.

Mick 15-03-2017 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890090)

But what do you do, when ALL three main parties have engaged in U-Turns?

The Liberal Democrats said they would not increase University Tuition fees, in 2010, they formed a Coalition government with the Tories and increased Tuition fees, Nick Clegg took years of beatings for that and I think ultimately is the reason the Lib Dems are down to just 9 Members of Parliament today.

Labour have done U-Turns, look when Labour abolished 10p in the Tax band, causing middle and low earners ending up paying way more tax, they did not bring it back but they made concessions in later Budgets take make up for their terrible decision.

denphone 15-03-2017 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35890094)

The Liberal Democrats said they would not increase University Tuition fees, in 2010, they formed a Coalition government with the Tories and increased Tuition fees, Nick Clegg took years of beatings for that and I think ultimately is the reason the Lib Dems are down to just 9 Members of Parliament today.

Labour have done U-Turns, look when Labour abolished 10p in the Tax band, causing middle and low earners ending up paying way more tax, they did not bring it back but they made concessions in later Budgets take make up for their terrible decision.

l suppose when it comes down to it it is who do you trust the most and personally l don't trust any of them if l am honest...

1andrew1 15-03-2017 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35890094)

I think failing to keep an election pledge is politically far worse than a u-turn. I do agree that a u-turn shows that the Government is listening to some extent.

Mr K 15-03-2017 17:33

Silly Philly.. That's 2 billion he's going to have to find from somewhere (didn't mention where did he?), or is the increase in Social Care funding going to be quietly forgotten and even more pressure on the NHS? Doesnt the silly bugger realise that the point of a 'Budget' is that it's supposed to add up?
People, not just the Tories, have got their priorities all wrong. If you want public services you have to pay, a few pence in tax will seem irrelevant next time you or your family need the NHS.
Same old Tories, increasing inequalities everywhere, and no one should be surprised.

papa smurf 15-03-2017 18:03

i'm not happy now i know white van man pays less than i do the evening out of tax differences has been swept under the carpet :)

1andrew1 15-03-2017 18:19

Interesting observation from the right-wing Spectator magazine: “This fiasco will be watched with amazement in European capitals. If Theresa May caves in under pressure, then her opponents in Brexit talks will apply pressure.”
https://www.spectator.co.uk/

Damien 15-03-2017 19:03

The Spectator is pretty good, always worth reading their political columnists (and avoiding Brenden O'Neill).

Kursk 15-03-2017 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35890114)
i'm not happy now i know white van man pays less than i do the evening out of tax differences has been swept under the carpet :)

Have you noticed that a particularly loud and belligerent CF voice is very quiet all of a sudden? ;)

Paul 15-03-2017 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35890154)
Have you noticed that a particularly loud and belligerent CF voice is very quiet all of a sudden? ;)

Nope, you still seem to be posting :erm:

Chris 15-03-2017 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35890118)
Interesting observation from the right-wing Spectator magazine: “This fiasco will be watched with amazement in European capitals. If Theresa May caves in under pressure, then her opponents in Brexit talks will apply pressure.”
https://www.spectator.co.uk/

Caved in under pressure, or recognised the electoral arithmetic? If the latter, the EU are going to find her harder to deal with, not softer. She can't afford to come back from Brussels with a bad deal.

Mr K 15-03-2017 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35890187)
Caved in under pressure, or recognised the electoral arithmetic? If the latter, the EU are going to find her harder to deal with, not softer. She can't afford to come back from Brussels with a bad deal.

Doesn't seem very 'tough' so far, a bit wibbly/wobbly if the Budget is anything to go by. We're more desperate for a deal than the EU. There's more of them too...

Kursk 16-03-2017 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35890163)
Nope, you still seem to be posting :erm:

Ouch that hurt. Where did you get such a big handbag?

heero_yuy 17-03-2017 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35890288)
Ouch that hurt. Where did you get such a big handbag?

If you thought that was big:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/03/10.jpg

:D

Kursk 17-03-2017 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35890446)
If you thought that was big:
:D

Hmmm, is that a big button or a very small laptop? :)

1andrew1 17-03-2017 21:45

Quote:

The electoral arithmetic is in her favour as long as Corbyn is opposition leader. She buckled as The Spectator knows.

Damien 18-03-2017 08:06

Quote:

Pressure from her own MPs. The electoral consequences don't seem a problem, she could drown a kitten from the dispatch box and Corbyn wouldn't be able to gain from it.

Kursk 18-03-2017 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35890555)
Pressure from her own MPs. The electoral consequences don't seem a problem, she could drown a kitten from the dispatch box and Corbyn wouldn't be able to gain from it.

:D Good one; PMSL!

OLD BOY 20-03-2017 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890070)

H'mmm. So if he hadn't changed his mind on this, he wouldn't be listening. Because he listened and kindly withdrew the measure, he's done a u-turn.

Seems like the politicians can't win either way. We should be giving credit to a party that listens to criticism, not ridiculing it.

denphone 20-03-2017 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35890867)
H'mmm. So if he hadn't changed his mind on this, he wouldn't be listening. Because he listened and kindly withdrew the measure, he's done a u-turn.

Seems like the politicians can't win either way. We should be giving credit to a party that listens to criticism, not ridiculing it.

No doubt withdrawing it is good but alas one suspects some other stealth taxes will be coming our way to replace it so perhaps its best for you to post your comments then about the chancellor of the exchequer OB.

OLD BOY 20-03-2017 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890870)
No doubt withdrawing it is good but alas one suspects some other stealth taxes will be coming our way to replace it so perhaps its best for you to post your comments then about the chancellor of the exchequer OB.

My comment was only on the U-turn comment, Den. What comes next remains to be seen, but remember he does actually have to balance the books. Fantasy economics is what Corbyn and his cronies stand for.

denphone 20-03-2017 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35890874)
My comment was only on the U-turn comment, Den. What comes next remains to be seen, but remember he does actually have to balance the books. Fantasy economics is what Corbyn and his cronies stand for.

We are not talking about the totally unelectable Corbyn as we are talking about the current incumbent's of 10 Downing Street OB unless you did not realise that.;)

OLD BOY 20-03-2017 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890877)
We are not talking about the totally unelectable Corbyn as we are talking about the current incumbent's of 10 Downing Street OB unless you did not realise that.;)

Which of course means that the books must be balanced. Stealth taxes are one answer, provided of course it can be squared with the manifesto! :D

Mr K 20-03-2017 21:27

Putting the top rate of Income Tax back up to 50p would have wiped the smile off a few Tory MPs faces. They'd soon forget about the self employed then. Go on Philly go for it - you don't like them either !

1andrew1 20-03-2017 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35890921)
Which of course means that the books must be balanced. Stealth taxes are one answer, provided of course it can be squared with the manifesto! :D

Maybe ask Osborne to take on another job, that will generate more tax revenue! :D
The other side of the coin is spending. The new grammar schools look set to be booted into the long grass by Parliament so that saves a bit of dosh but not enough.

heero_yuy 21-03-2017 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35890970)
Putting the top rate of Income Tax back up to 50p would have wiped the smile off a few Tory MPs faces. They'd soon forget about the self employed then. Go on Philly go for it - you don't like them either !

It might give socialists a warm fuzzy feeling but it would cause income tax revenues to ACTUALLY fall. Just ask the French.