Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Is it possible to copy a DVD....... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=30469)

STONEISLAND 17-06-2005 14:52

Is it possible to copy a DVD.......

Is it possible to copy a DVD onto the HDD of a Home DVD recorder and then copy them back to another DVD disk ?? If so is there anything special that I require ??

paulyoung666 17-06-2005 14:56

Re: Is it possible to copy a DVD.......

yes , you need something like nero to do it :)

Roy MM 17-06-2005 14:57

You will need a DVD decrypter which i believe is ilegal BTW, and frowned upon discussion on this forum.

STONEISLAND 17-06-2005 14:58

You carnt load nero on to a none pc device can you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy MM
You will need a DVD decrypter which i believe is ilegal BTW, and frowned upon discussion on this forum.

Oh sorry did not relise

Angua 17-06-2005 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by skunk4u
You carnt load nero on to a none pc device can you?

Oh sorry did not relise

Why would you want to load it anywhere but a PC?

STONEISLAND 17-06-2005 15:03

Dont worry just a question from a mate thats been answered by Roy

Quote:

believe is ilegal BTW
I did not know,.

punky 17-06-2005 15:11

Quote:

Is it possible to copy a DVD onto the HDD of a Home DVD recorder and then copy them back to another DVD disk ?? If so is there anything special that I require ??

Depends on the make of DVD recorder, as to wether you can do it standalone.

On my parent's DVD recorder (Panasonic), we have the HDD -> DVD, DVD-> DVD and DVD -> HDD dubbing modes. You just go into the main menu and select what you want to do.

If you can't do that, then for like 15-30 quid you can get a cheapy DVD player and route the output of that one, into the input of your recorder.

Stuartbe 17-06-2005 15:14

It can be done with a DVD that is not copy protected IE one made at home ect...

A DVD that is purchased from a shop has macrovision protection so the image will currupt when you attempt to copy it...

As stated - Discusing methods of copy'ing protected media is not something that is allowed, If however you own the media then there is no problem.

bopdude 17-06-2005 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy MM

It is :shrug: news to me, I thought that making a */cough, back up of a disk you own was leagl, correct me if im wrong, .... again :rolleyes: :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuartbe
A DVD that is purchased from a shop has macrovision protection so the image will currupt when you attempt to copy it...

DVdycrypter used to take that away, I think it's no longer available from their site

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuartbe
As stated - Discusing methods of copy'ing protected media is not something that is allowed, If however you own the media then there is no problem.

I thought thats what he meant, he had an owned dvd, could have misread it though :shrug:

kronas 17-06-2005 15:37

DV shrink is good:

http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

ive not used it myself but i know someone else who has and the results are good, you can edit the DVD take subtitles and additional languages out etc....

punky 17-06-2005 15:58

DVD shrink and DVD decrypter are computer programs. You need a computer and dvd writer to do it.

You might want to consider that, if your home DVD recorder won't do standalone copying. You can get them from like 30-50 quid now, and you will have greater control, like to save the menus/extras, or axe them.

BTW, I am only helping you to copy DVDs which you legally own, and are entitled to make personal copies for backups. Copying anything you don't have permission to copy would be illegal.

kronas 17-06-2005 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky
DVD shrink and DVD decrypter are computer programs. You need a computer and dvd writer to do it.

i read the initial question and it seemed he meant a computer hard drive :shrug:

but yes what punky said is correct.

bopdude 17-06-2005 16:18

Quote:

I see :dozey:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronas
Quote:

Originally Posted by punky

i read the initial question and it seemed he meant a computer hard drive :shrug:

but yes what punky said is correct.

Oops, I think I got the wrong end of the stick as well :D

kronas 17-06-2005 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by bopdude
Oops, I think I got the wrong end of the stick as well :D

whos stick is that then :D :p: ;) :naughty:

sorry had to be said

:p:

punky 17-06-2005 16:21

Well, I thought from the first post that he wanted to copy DVDs with a standalone DVD recorder. The kind that sit under your TV.