Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : TV Wars: ITV VS Virgin Media (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704899)

Media Boy UK 16-05-2017 19:10

TV Wars: ITV VS Virgin Media

ITV could disappear from Virgin Media unless a £40 million disagreement is resolved

http://uk.businessinsider.com/itv-co...17-5?r=US&IR=T

Quote:

ITV will now negotiate new terms with Virgin Media. Virgin does currently pay for ITV's smaller sister channels, including ITV2 and ITVBe, but a source close to the talks said this deal expires in September. It paves the way for ITV to strike a new agreement, under which it will demand payment for its flagship station.

A source close to ITV and Virgin's talks did not guide us away from this figure.

denphone 16-05-2017 19:14

Re: TV Wars: ITV VS Virgin Media

More sabre rattling one suspects from ITV.

Mad Max 16-05-2017 19:15

If this happens then Virgin will lose a lot of customers!

denphone 16-05-2017 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35899079)
If this happens then Virgin will lose a lot of customers!

It won't happen...

Paul 16-05-2017 19:51

I thought the main channels (BBC1, BBC2 & ITV) had to be provided free ?

It would also be very short sighted of ITV to cut themselves off from viewers (advertisers would not be happy).

Taf 16-05-2017 20:26

I can't think of the last time I watched an ITV programme?

Sirius 16-05-2017 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35899085)
I can't think of the last time I watched an ITV programme?

Same here

alwaysabear 16-05-2017 21:08

There will still be freeview no big deal for me!

RichardCoulter 16-05-2017 21:15

LG could decide to simply buy more shares in ITV to make the issue go away!

At least they would be getting something for their money.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35899084)

It would also be very short sighted of ITV to cut themselves off from viewers (advertisers would not be happy).

The Digital Economy Bill due to be passed after the General Election will allow ITV to charge retransmission fees.

When it was pointed out that cable companies had a 'must carry' obligation towards the PSB channels, the Government said that they "didn't expect" this to happen with regards to traditional cable television companies.

ITV seem to have other ideas...

Interestingly, they must broadcast FTA on both Freeview and Freesat, so by definition they can't encrypt on Sky either.

They both need each other, so I agree with others when they say that this is unlikely to happen.

Media Boy UK 16-05-2017 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35899093)
ITV seem to have other ideas...

Interestingly, they must broadcast FTA on both Freeview and Freesat, so by definition they can't encrypt on Sky either.

They both need each other, so I agree with others when they say that this is unlikely to happen.

Base on that link I posted on post one we now know when we may see ITV Encore Channels on Virgin Media UK.

muppetman11 16-05-2017 22:24

So the PSB's want retransmission fees off the pay TV platforms whilst enjoying EPG prominence on these platforms. Seems a little unfair to me.

Raider999 16-05-2017 23:29

Quote:

I cannot remember the last time I watched an advert - my tv viewing is at least 95% time-shifted so I use the FF button to skip them.

Paul 16-05-2017 23:53

Personally none of my programmes have adverts in them, since they all come from the USA ;)

However, some people still watch them, so advertisers would not be happy.

nodrogd 17-05-2017 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35899103)
So the PSB's want retransmission fees off the pay TV platforms whilst enjoying EPG prominence on these platforms. Seems a little unfair to me.

They want to charge fees to the pay platforms, yet the pay platforms cannot encrypt the channels to their customers to pass the cost on. Yet aonther crazy idea from the pen pushers out there with nothing better to do.

OLD BOY 17-05-2017 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35899102)
Base on that link I posted on post one we now know when we may see ITV Encore Channels on Virgin Media UK.

I guess that depends on when the exclusivity deal with Sky is due to expire.

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 ----------

Quote:

It would mean fewer Virgin customers, but how many fewer? I would have thought that most people still have aerials. If not, they just need a Roku or similar device to access TV Player, which carries ITV.

---------- Post added at 08:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35899124)
I cannot remember the last time I watched an advert - my tv viewing is at least 95% time-shifted so I use the FF button to skip them.

Same here. But if ITV was no longer carried on Virgin, I would simply record these programmes via my aerial to my DVD recorder. That's how I view most of the main terrestrial channels now as I spread the recordings between my DVD recorder and my two V6s to increase my HD recording capacity.