Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SD : TV price rises (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685160)

m419 02-02-2012 16:09

Re: TV price rises

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35374197)
Yes l agree that multi room streaming will be a great function to have and the sooner it comes the more it will be to Virgins advantage and to the detriment of Sky.

That is what the cable industry has needed for a very long time is exclusive products,content and wider coverage and availability. If Digital,VoD and if the cable companies created more of there own content back in say 1997 just before Sky launched digital, it would be in front of sky today. But because of the cable companies keep changing ownership and borrowing money, it has put everything on hold, the worst of all NTL, borrowing and borrowing and mass buyouts and not focusing on customer services and product portfolio carefully.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35374199)
The sale of Virgin Media Television channels (Bravo Virgin 1 etc) is paying for the upgrades according to VM.

They should have sold Virgin Mobile and or its UKTV stake not Virgin Media Television, it will be very hard for Virgin Media to ever get back to its content providing

andrew.shearman 02-02-2012 16:14

I am on VIP 50 with tive is that going up in price

Digital Fanatic 02-02-2012 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374200)
That is what the cable industry has needed for a very long time is exclusive products,content and wider coverage and availability. If Digital,VoD and if the cable companies created more of there own content back in say 1997 just before Sky launched digital, it would be in front of sky today. But because of the cable companies keep changing ownership and borrowing money, it has put everything on hold, the worst of all NTL, borrowing and borrowing and mass buyouts and not focusing on customer services and product portfolio carefully.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

They should have sold Virgin Mobile and or its UKTV stake not Virgin Media Television, it will be very hard for Virgin Media to ever get back to its content providing

Actually I think it was the UKTV stake that paid for it, sorry - my bad :D

paultrademark 02-02-2012 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew.shearman (Post 35374205)
I am on VIP 50 with tive is that going up in price

You'll get an email/letter advising on your price change, apparently they have started going out already according to one poster on the VM Support Forums

Link

andrew.shearman 02-02-2012 16:33

ok thank you

denphone 02-02-2012 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew.shearman (Post 35374211)
I am on VIP 50 with tivo is that going up in price

Ben or DF will be able to tell you about that Andrew.

andy_m 02-02-2012 16:39

The link that Muppetman has posted suggests that multi room streaming wouldn't be a usp for very long (damn you mm!), but at the very least Virgin should try to be first with it, else they'll look like they're playing catch up even if they're not.

muppetman11 02-02-2012 16:43

It seems anyone who has evening and weekend calls will see their free call start time moved from 6pm - 7pm.
https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-...uspart=DMail_3

tridens 02-02-2012 16:49

Hi
I just phoned vmedia retentions department they wouldn't give me any discount or a better package they confirmed From
April 1st
Tv L going up £2
BB L going up £1.50

So my monthly bill will go up by £3.50
That's a big increase 9.7%
Well done virgin get as much money out of customers as you can in these hard times

Superblade7 02-02-2012 17:15

Anyone got any news on whether there is any increase to other BB tiers or phone?

sniper007 02-02-2012 17:20

I'm sorry but this is a joke. Anyone telling me £2 is nothing and to stop moaning. I would if it was "just" £2. EVERYTHING is going up in price just because they can. Every direct debit I have seems to keep increasing by "JUST" £X. Well it JUST takes the flippin mick now. Are my wages going up "JUST" £X. No they aren't. They can JUST shove their £2 up their bums. Right when we are told to watch F1 next year it will be over £20 more per month for the sky sports channels. Nice. Not happy. If anything else goes up like line rental etc I think I am going to go over to sky sadly after 10 years with virgin/ntl.

Mr K 02-02-2012 17:20

Don't think anyone's BB price should increase until their speed has actually increased. That would be more reasonable. Otherwise some would be on lower speeds and paying more for several months. But hey, what's new with VM's billing.

New to cable 02-02-2012 17:23

Does anyone know if the 50Mb is going up in price? I hope so as that's my get out clause. Or the "Slime ball route" as Kymmy calls it LMAO..

Anyway call it what you will but does anyone know of a price rise for 50mb? I'm saying 50Mb is bad its just overkill as I have an ADSL line.

Digital Fanatic 02-02-2012 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper007 (Post 35374238)
I'm sorry but this is a joke. Anyone telling me £2 is nothing and to stop moaning. I would if it was "just" £2. EVERYTHING is going up in price just because they can. Every direct debit I have seems to keep increasing by "JUST" £X. Well it JUST takes the flippin mick now. Are my wages going up "JUST" £X. No they aren't. They can JUST shove their £2 up their bums. Right when we are told to watch F1 next year it will be over £20 more per month for the sky sports channels. Nice. Not happy. If anything else goes up like line rental etc I think I am going to go over to sky sadly after 10 years with virgin/ntl.

As I said earlier, see what's best for you (with any provider) cost, product and service.. then make a decision based on that.

This is the first time in a long while that Sky have frozen their prices. I'd expect them to go up in August, but who knows?

andy_m 02-02-2012 17:27

As far as broadband is concerned, the proposed speed doubling means I'm going from my current 30mb to the cheaper 10mb product, safe in the knowledge that it'll be 20mb soon enough. There are ways to save money on your bill - most people have probably got some options that are more than they need. During the course of this discussion, for example, I've remembered that I'm still on phone XL, a product I meant to downgrade when I upgraded my mobile and got loads of extra minutes. That's about 6 or 7 quid a month saved on products I'm either not using or are surplus to what I really need, so I won't even notice that they're gone.