Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Lack of eye contact could be "micro aggressive racism". (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704803)

RichardCoulter 24-04-2017 18:13

Lack of eye contact could be "micro aggressive racism".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...racism-oxford/

This sort of behaviour by the PC brigade does their cause no good at all imo. I've long thought that accusations of racism are bandied about far too easily these days.

duncan.stevenson 24-04-2017 18:25

Re: Lack of eye contact could be "micro aggressive racism".

I think there is a lot of innate racism in a lot of people, but not making eye contact can't surely be a sign of this. I'm a bit socially awkward and I have to force myself to make eye contact with people regardless of their perceived race.

Taf 24-04-2017 19:21

I'm waiting for inevitable "All autistic people are racists!"

Kursk 24-04-2017 20:41

So let me get this right, black, brown, white and asian students who avoid making eye contact with their peers, which includes each other in any combination, could be guilty of racism?

What a load of bollocks.

RichardCoulter 24-04-2017 20:54

I can't disagree with anything​ that's been said.

I can only think that it's the professional anti racists that are running out of PC brownie points and/or are desperate to show how right on they are.

I was talking to someone about this who said that some cultures believe it to be rude/disrespectful to look someone in the eye (Chinese?)

I love to see such folk tie themselves up in knots. They say that they believe in equality for women (agreed) and that all other cultures should be respected and not frowned upon just because they are different to our own (I don't unilaterally agree).

I then ask them what they think about some Asian cultures where women are expected to walk a few places behind men...

Paul 24-04-2017 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35896123)
What a load of bollocks.

Its not often I completely agree with Kursk, but I think he got it spot on here. :)

RizzyKing 24-04-2017 21:46

More idiots talking out of their backsides, it's become so easy to just throw racist at anything you don't like that i think it's starting to actually create racism if your going to be accused of it for nothing you might as well be racist. Between the professional pc lets be offended on everyone's behalf brigade and the quickly spreading thin skin syndrome soon you will not be able to say sod all. This country has become a joke in some ways and it's sad we have definately lost something greater then what we've gained.

Hugh 24-04-2017 21:53

The actual E&D newsletter.

http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/media/glob...nity17_web.pdf

Paul 24-04-2017 22:03

Wait, so they have special "Networks" for BME, DSN and LGBT+ (Wtf is + ?)

They are so two faced and contradictory.
They go on about racism, but have a special Black / Ethnic Network, how discrimatory is that ?

Damien 24-04-2017 22:30

Networks/groups for various minorities have long been common in universities as a method of support and discussion. That's not really in the same bracket as the lack of eye contact thing. People who are disabled, people who are LGBT or Black/other minority might have experiences the majority of people do not have and would want to talk to others who've had similar experiences. I don't really understand what any of those would be precisely but then I am in that majority.

RichardCoulter 25-04-2017 01:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35896141)
Wait, so they have special "Networks" for BME, DSN and LGBT+ (Wtf is + ?)

They are so two faced and contradictory.
They go on about racism, but have a special Black / Ethnic Network, how discrimatory is that ?

It used to be Lesbian, gay, bisexual. Then transgendered was added on, then intersex and then queer.

I guess it's all becoming a bit of a mouthful, so I assume that some institutions have stopped at T and started using +!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35896146)
Networks/groups for various minorities have long been common in universities as a method of support and discussion. That's not really in the same bracket as the lack of eye contact thing. People who are disabled, people who are LGBT or Black/other minority might have experiences the majority of people do not have and would want to talk to others who've had similar experiences. I don't really understand what any of those would be precisely but then I am in that majority.

I can understand this and the reasons behind it, but it can cause problems.

I was once at a festival and saw some white people arguing with the doorstaff because they wouldn't let them into the People Of Colour tent. Their argument was that white was their colour.

Another time I was at an evening celebrating successful black businesses. One of the speakers urged everyone to favour black businesses over using white ones; I did wonder what their reaction would be if someone white had urged people to use white businesses over black ones!

In addition, men only places are frowned upon and possibly illegal, yet when women wish to be alone it's "women only space"!

In essence I think that it's a good thing that minority groups mix with the wider community, whilst remembering that 'birds of a feather flock together' for mutual support and understanding.

Pierre 25-04-2017 07:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35896158)
It used to be Lesbian, gay, bisexual. Then transgendered was added on, then intersex and then queer.

I'm not sure "queer" has ever been an acceptable term?

duncan.stevenson 25-04-2017 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35896171)
I'm not sure "queer" has ever been an acceptable term?

Queer has been reclaimed by the LGBT community, though I don't believe everyone loves its use.

I suspect it might be a word that only members of the LGBT community are 'allowed' to use, though I could be wrong.

As a gay man, I feel that you can normally tell if someone is being insulting/offensive independently of which word they use, at least when face to face.

Damien 25-04-2017 08:17

Context is everything

heero_yuy 25-04-2017 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35896174)
Context is everything

Indeed. :tu:

It's not too little eye contact that will get you into trouble but too much.