Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Windows 10 free activation (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704502)

ThunderPants73 19-02-2017 12:02

Windows 10 free activation

Gawd I'm thick, only just found this out:

The free Windows 10 license Microsoft is providing to upgraders works differently. Microsoft won’t issue you a Windows 10 product key. Instead, when you perform an upgrade from within Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1, the upgrade process registers a unique ID associated with your PC’s hardware on Microsoft’s Windows activation servers.

In the future, whenever you install Windows 10 on that same PC, it will automatically report to Microsoft’s activation servers. Microsoft will confirm that the PC with that specific hardware configuration is allowed to use Windows 10, and it’ll automatically be activated.

heero_yuy 19-02-2017 12:11

Re: Windows 10 free activation

Big brother is watching you. ;)

pip08456 19-02-2017 13:33

Yep TP- you're thick.:D:D:D:D:D

Wait until you have to change a graphics card!

ThunderPants73 19-02-2017 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35886543)
Yep TP- you're thick.:D:D:D:D:D

Wait until you have to change a graphics card!

That's no way to talk to a lady, young man.

Anyway, bought a GTX 970 last year, hopefully it'll last a wee while.

pip08456 19-02-2017 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35886604)
That's no way to talk to a lady, young man.

Anyway, bought a GTX 970 last year, hopefully it'll last a wee while.

I did not mean it as an insult. I was merely agreeing with you it's the safest way for a man, a young lady should understand that.:D:D:D

Then again, we're never right.;)

Anonymouse 19-02-2017 21:27

<slightly O/T>It's not just Microsoft watching - lately I've had two apps I uninstalled phoning home to tell their companies they'd been uninstalled! One managed it because my broadband connection wasn't down, and I received an email asking me the reason for the uninstallation; the other didn't manage it because my connection had dropped (as usual!).
I suppose I can understand it - but I don't like it! It's no-one's business but mine what I do with my system!!!

As for 10, I've heard too many horror stories to risk it; I'm sticking with 8.1 - which, weirdly, I'm very happy with. Incidentally I've never updated it; there's over a gig of 'important' updates my system allegedly needs, but the day I set it up I damn well told Windows to ask me before installing anything. I've had 'important' updates crashing the damn system too often on earlier versions to fall for that. Besides, most of them are unnecessary security fixes - unnecessary if you a) have decent firewall and antiviral software, b) run an ad blocker, and c) don't browse using an admin account.</slightly O/T>

heero_yuy 20-02-2017 09:25

Having had some strange things happen recently on some sites I'd also include the no-script add-on for FF. Set up the white and black lists for the sites you regularly visit. Helps avoid drive-by infections and hi-jacked mouse clicks.

tweetiepooh 20-02-2017 12:51

If the activation on hardware is similar to previous then you can upgrade some components without issue. The system allocates "points" to various components and allows you to change upto a limit of points. So a GPU may cost one point, CPU 3 points, but a motherboard 4 points and you are limited to 5 points.

This allows you to update the GPU without issue but update both the MB and CPU wouldn't be allowed without interaction with M$.

SnoopZ 20-02-2017 13:12

I have the free version of Windows 10 and had to replace my CPU and Motherboard, as expected activation failed with the new components.

However after chatting to MS online for an hour and providing proof of my Windows 8 key, they provided me with a physical key to get activated again, this has now changed to a digital entitlement though.

So if a hardware change is needed all is not lost as long as you have proof of a previous key.

rogerdraig 20-02-2017 21:42

yep done a few now it does mostly take a phone call but its fairly quick even if you just have the hard drive left ;)

alanbjames 20-02-2017 22:03

is the call similar to activating other versions of windows?

ThunderPants73 21-02-2017 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35886617)
I did not mean it as an insult. I was merely agreeing with you it's the safest way for a man, a young lady should understand that.:D:D:D

Then again, we're never right.;)

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Never said I was young, so you got that wrong too! Points for being consistent! ;):D:D

pip08456 21-02-2017 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35886904)

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Never said I was young, so you got that wrong too! Points for being consistent! ;):D:D

But you assumed I was young too!

Touche!;):D:D:D

rogerdraig 22-02-2017 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35886770)
is the call similar to activating other versions of windows?

yep just need previous activation key from old operating system . Others have told me they have accepted proof of purchase too

i have upgraded ( saved would be better description lol ) a few laptops and towers including ones where all i really had was the hard drive and a case with sticker ( coca cola spill and a coffee spill ) and was putting hard drive into another laptop ( they wanted their programs and data on the hard drive )

ThunderPants73 26-02-2017 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35886912)
But you assumed I was young too!

Touche!;):D:D:D

I was trying to be nice, considering your age on your thingy is 60!

:p: