Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Upgrade from SDTV to TiVo (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33681102)

LycraLout 14-09-2011 01:16

Upgrade from SDTV to TiVo

Hi. Newbie here...

I've simply got the standard STB for SDTV. I've gone for an upgrade to TiVo (woo hoo!), being installed at the weekend. I've done some searching on the forum but I have a question...

When the engineer comes, will he be able to use the cabling already in the house or will he have to bring another line in? I've read plenty of threads in here about people upgrading from V+ to TiVo and the existing cable is fine. But I'm going from SDTV.

Wouldn't normally bother me but I may not be around when the engineer comes, leaving my other 'alf to deal with him so would like to get the furniture moved around before I head out. If I need to that is. Hopefully I don't.

TIA

qasdfdsaq 14-09-2011 01:40

Re: Upgrade from SDTV to TiVo

Existing cable is fine. It already carries all TV signals, SD and HD. And everyone else's internet connection for that matter.

LycraLout 14-09-2011 10:04

Aah. I also have broadband (50Mb). So a new cable may need to be brought in to dedicate to the TV? I currently have one cable coming in which splits when it reaches the living room. One split going to the STB and the other to the modem. By the sounds of it, each will need its own feed from the street?

jb66 14-09-2011 10:21

no new cable needed,

LycraLout 14-09-2011 10:44

Cool. I won't bother emptying the bookcase and dragging it away from the wall before deserting the other 'alf on install day then. That makes life easier!

Cheers

LycraLout 23-09-2011 11:58

Install completed. I wasn't there but apparently it was an easy swap out and setup. Took about 15m. Thanks.

As for the TiVo service itself. Seems pretty functional. But v sluggish navigation. My Windows 7 HTPC is much nicer to use. Biggest gripe though would be the lack of numberpad letter input for the search screens. The cursor moving around the alphabet is an awful system to use.

Early days for me yet though.

BenMcr 23-09-2011 12:44

A quick hint. Some of the number keys act as shortcuts when on the main 'Home' screen

1 is Manage Series Links
2 is Planned Recordings
3 is Wishlist Search
4 is Search All TV
5 is Browse All TV

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

Oh and from what has been posted on the net, the next update will add the 'mobile phone' text style entry

denphone 23-09-2011 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35303779)
A quick hint. Some of the number keys act as shortcuts when on the main 'Home' screen

1 is Manage Series Links
2 is Planned Recordings
3 is Wishlist Search
4 is Search All TV
5 is Browse All TV

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

Oh and from what has been posted on the net, the next update will add the 'mobile phone' text style entry

And when will this next update be Ben.

BenMcr 23-09-2011 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35303782)
And when will this next update be Ben.

I'm not aware of any confirmed date. I'm sure it will be published over on the Community Forum when there is one

LycraLout 23-09-2011 12:58

Looking forward to that! Searching for "Dinosaur Planet" (e.g.) took much longer than it would on the old box. I also hope this input method is carried into the YouTube app too.

Thanks