Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : V6 installation (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704294)

Raider999 11-01-2017 21:29

V6 installation

I recently signed up to switch from sky & BT broadband to virgin.

I will be on the top package at a good offer rate.

The installation is due to take place on Friday. When I signed up I told the rep I was on a course for 9 weeks and he added a rider requesting last installation of the day.

I had a text today confirming installation as 1 to 6pm, I replied reminding them of the last installation request, only to receive an intransigent reply stating it was 1 to 6 and couldn't be narrowed any further.

I will not be able to be there until around 4:30, my wife will be there from around 2pm.

Most companies will give a smaller window when pushed - it appears virgin will not!

My question is what happens if the installer turns up to find no one in?

To put it mildly, I will not be happy if the instal does not happen.

jb66 11-01-2017 21:41

Re: V6 installation

The timeslot is 1-6 so you should have made arrangements to have access for virgin between 1 and 6. The Rep knows that virgin installers are not flexible on moving jobs around due to high workload. If it doesnt go to plan I would be having a word with him.

If someone isn't in, I move on to the next job, if I have time to go back I will, but if I dont have time then I dont

Raider999 11-01-2017 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35880182)
The timeslot is 1-6 so you should have made arrangements to have access for virgin between 1 and 6. The Rep knows that virgin installers are not flexible on moving jobs around due to high workload. If it doesnt go to plan I would be having a word with him.

If someone isn't in, I move on to the next job, if I have time to go back I will, but if I dont have time then I dont

Thanks for the prompt reply, as I said I was led to believe this would be OK - by the sounds of this it may not be.

unfortunately my job is more important than tv, so if they turn up and find no one in then so be it - we will have to reschedule.

Perhaps they should realise that people cannot take time off work to suit virgin.

Sunday would be by far the best day, but guess what virgin don't install on Sunday's.

jb66 11-01-2017 22:52

Not many companies still value family time. I'm glad Virgin don't force staff to work on a Sunday.

Perhaps scheduling Virgin to install on your day off would have been the best option. Saying that if your wife is in by 2pm, they probably will catch her

Raider999 11-01-2017 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35880200)
Not many companies still value family time. I'm glad Virgin don't force staff to work on a Sunday.

Perhaps scheduling Virgin to install on your day off would have been the best option. Saying that if your wife is in by 2pm, they probably will catch her

Didn't expect virgin to force staff to work Sunday's - however in the words of one of my senior managers 'everyone works shifts these days'

Already, stated on a long term course myself - as for days off ha-ha.

Remember taking several days off many years ago, waiting in for tradesmen who neither turned up nor called to cancel.

jb66 12-01-2017 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35880206)
Didn't expect virgin to force staff to work Sunday's - however in the words of one of my senior managers 'everyone works shifts these days'

Already, stated on a long term course myself - as for days off ha-ha.

Remember taking several days off many years ago, waiting in for tradesmen who neither turned up nor called to cancel.

Do you work Sundays?

Raider999 12-01-2017 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35880244)
Do you work Sundays?

Obviously I don't - hence I would like to have a Sunday instal so I can ensure I am there.

I mentioned this just now to my wife, who replied "I don't see why you couldn't have a Sunday installation as I have seen Virgin vans out and about on a Sunday"

So someone is telling porkies aren't they?

spiderplant 12-01-2017 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35880378)
I mentioned this just now to my wife, who replied "I don't see why you couldn't have a Sunday installation as I have seen Virgin vans out and about on a Sunday"

Just because they are in vans doesn't mean they are doing installations.

vm_tech 12-01-2017 21:21

I was previously a network engineer, now a business engineer, and we are a 24/7/365 dept. Somebody always on call. But that's because with our work, issues can arise at any time. Probably my van you saw on a Sunday! Although service sometimes get offered OT to come in on a Sunday if the lead times get too long

DJSADERS 13-01-2017 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35880206)

This is not true the contractor installers (which do most of the installs btw) work from 8am until the days work is completed whether that be 6pm or 10pm!

And minimum 5 days possibly 6 days a week depending on the time of year...

Also you might want to look at your attitude it stinks! You have asked a question and your attitude with your reply is completely wrong!:mad:

trickytree 13-01-2017 16:11

This does make me laugh like the engineer who was with me last Friday.

He was with me at 17:45 and I said I must be the last call of the day and he said no I have 1 more to do.
At 18:10 he gets a call and it is the guy saying where are you it is after 6pm and you are not here etc.

The engineer tells me this guy had a 1-6 appointment like I had and he turns up and no one is answering the door. So he has to call the contact number.
The guy says he is at work until 16:30 and will have to come back later!
The engineer agrees but tells him due to this he will have to be the last call of the day.
He told me where this call was and it was probably 30 mins drive away as he had planned the route before and now due to him not being in he had to go right out his way again.
So at 18:10 he has the engineers number as he had to call him when he was not answering the door and is asking where he is etc?!?!?!

I think if I had been the engineer I would have said tough you were not there try booking again.

I don't know what that last call was but he was not going to finish the day until gone 7 when it was probably going to be 6pm if he had been there.

jb66 13-01-2017 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by trickytree (Post 35880472)
This does make me laugh like the engineer who was with me last Friday.

He was with me at 17:45 and I said I must be the last call of the day and he said no I have 1 more to do.
At 18:10 he gets a call and it is the guy saying where are you it is after 6pm and you are not here etc.

The engineer tells me this guy had a 1-6 appointment like I had and he turns up and no one is answering the door. So he has to call the contact number.
The guy says he is at work until 16:30 and will have to come back later!
The engineer agrees but tells him due to this he will have to be the last call of the day.
He told me where this call was and it was probably 30 mins drive away as he had planned the route before and now due to him not being in he had to go right out his way again.
So at 18:10 he has the engineers number as he had to call him when he was not answering the door and is asking where he is etc?!?!?!

I think if I had been the engineer I would have said tough you were not there try booking again.

I don't know what that last call was but he was not going to finish the day until gone 7 when it was probably going to be 6pm if he had been there.

I would have told the customer he has had his chance

Raider999 13-01-2017 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35880464)
This is not true the contractor installers (which do most of the installs btw) work from 8am until the days work is completed whether that be 6pm or 10pm!

And minimum 5 days possibly 6 days a week depending on the time of year...

Also you might want to look at your attitude it stinks! You have asked a question and your attitude with your reply is completely wrong!:mad:

My attitude stinks???

The early replies up I got suggested the replies hadn't even read all of my posts - hence my replies.

An update on the install

1. engineer phoned me at workplace at 11:50 - strange for a 1-6 pm install.

2. I explained my situation, he asked when someone would be in , told him and was humbly grateful he came back to do the job.

3. No idea what my virgin email address is - will have to try to find out on Sunday (assuming Virgin support work Sundays)

4. Only minor gripe with the install was the removal of my sky cables on the upstairs box - used a hole to put virgin connection in - this results in not being able to record on my upstairs sky box in the month overlap despite having to pay sky for it (cable appears to have been left in a loop outside my bedroom window!!!)

Doing a multiple record test on both boxes this weekend, however initial experience seems very good, although sound is a lot louder than sky boxes (is this normal?)

OhReally 14-01-2017 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35880244)
Do you work Sundays?

Self-employed, so EVERY day is a working day. If clients want to see me I go. Have 2 this Sunday afternoon.

jb66 14-01-2017 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35880378)
Obviously I don't - hence I would like to have a Sunday instal so I can ensure I am there.

So someone is telling porkies aren't they?

Bit ironic that you expect Virgin media to be working on a Sunday when your job doesn't involve working Sundays either.