Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : No Internet Access and VM can't help :-( (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676676)

mactagg 12-04-2011 10:15

No Internet Access and VM can't help :-(

Hello,

I spent hours on the phone to VM yesterday and am going out of my mind - each foreign person I spoke to made me go through the same half hour steps of turning on/off/resetting etc!! In the end they transferred to me to IT people that could log into my PC but i would have to pay them (seriously?), anyway by that point my phone battery died (landline, THATS how long i was on the phone!), so i thought id ask you friendly people for some advice...

Please note that i am a total newbie!

Okay internet died last Sunday and went through all the superhub checking steps but nothing worked so they sent me a new hub. Tried that yesterday and its still not working.

Errors coming up as troubleshooted by laptop (windows 7) and brand new Vaio and as discovered by VM as we went through various processes:

- router/connection/accesspoints problems (however router seems to be working fine from VM end and lights etc on and can be seen on my list of avail wireless connections)
- default gateway is unavailable - I can't even connect to the 192.168..... address so am not getting anything through atall
- wireless adapter - checked this and my laptop says all the drivers are up to date

I've tried it with an ethernet and that doesn't work.

I've tried connecting my old laptop to the hub and that doesn't work

Basically my laptop says the network or the internet is unavailable on the ipv4 address (have no idea what this means but VM were mainly interested in this ipv4 thing!) but still comes up with unidentified network rather than the SSID it actually is.

Any advice much appreciated, VM basically gave up and told me to go away :-( If you have any tips that i could do so that i can try them tonight when i go home and get back to you tomorrow that would be fab.

Am getting the shakes from lack of internet, plus the fact I'm paying through the teeth for highspeed net that im not getting....

:cool:

Chrysalis 12-04-2011 11:21

Re: No Internet Access and VM can't help :-(

open a command prompt, and type this.

ipconfig /all, paste it all here the output.

Pog66 12-04-2011 13:02

BY trying Ethernet I assume you have tried connecting wired to the hub to rule out any issue with Wireless?

Also, when connected via Ethernet can you get to 192.168.100.1?

craigj2k12 12-04-2011 15:08

do a reset, there is a pin reset button on the side of the superhub

mactagg 13-04-2011 16:01

Hi Guys

Just to say that I've solved the problem!!

(Yes, i had tried an ethernet cable as well and that didnt work either, and i tried the pin reset button on the hub a million times but no luck!)

Turns out it was to do with McAfee Security?! I googled my problem and someone else had had the same issue and suggested doing the following:
Run > "msconfig" > Services. Disable the mcafee network agent and the mcafee firewall core service.

I did this - and hey presto!

It does mean that I don't have a firewall anymore though so not sure how to get the firewall back up AND keep internet access....

Thanks everyone :-)

fixerman 13-04-2011 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactagg (Post 35212034)
Hi Guys

Just to say that I've solved the problem!!

(Yes, i had tried an ethernet cable as well and that didnt work either, and i tried the pin reset button on the hub a million times but no luck!)

Turns out it was to do with McAfee Security?! I googled my problem and someone else had had the same issue and suggested doing the following:
Run > "msconfig" > Services. Disable the mcafee network agent and the mcafee firewall core service.

I did this - and hey presto!

It does mean that I don't have a firewall anymore though so not sure how to get the firewall back up AND keep internet access....

Thanks everyone :-)

Well done!:)

Just make sure that your Windows firewall is active. You don't need more than one firewall! There is also a firewall in the Superhub but most people seem to be switching it off.

Neo-Tech 13-04-2011 18:02

^Because it causes problems :P

Mick Fisher 13-04-2011 18:19

Even with the superdud's spi firewall off you still sit behind NAT. So long as you are not worried about outbound security you are quite safe.

As for McAfee, do yourself a favour and dump it. There's plenty of free alternatives that work as well or better.

Neo-Tech 13-04-2011 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Fisher (Post 35212154)
As for McAfee, do yourself a favour and dump it. There's plenty of free alternatives that work as well or better.

To add to Mick's point, I'd suggest Windows Firewall + Microsoft Security Essentials. If you need a malware scanner, Malwarebytes Anti-malware is great.

Nopanic 13-04-2011 19:55

Good news to hear you sorted it and I guess good news that VM did the right thing by advising you to speak to the home support guys .. they could have sorted it for you, it wasn't a VM issue ..

Although the VM agents should of checked for security software ..

foddy 13-04-2011 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Fisher (Post 35212154)
Even with the superdud's spi firewall off you still sit behind NAT. So long as you are not worried about outbound security you are quite safe.

You shouldn't assume this. In particular, as VM don't support IPv6, your desktop will try to connect to IPv6 sites via a Teredo tunnel, which will be completely open to the Internet without a software firewall.

Nopanic 13-04-2011 21:25

I don't think that's true, VM need to support IPV6 tunnelling to convert the IPV6 to IPv4 and route to the correct location - which we don't (as far as I am aware).

Mick Fisher 13-04-2011 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by foddy (Post 35212251)
You shouldn't assume this. In particular, as VM don't support IPv6, your desktop will try to connect to IPv6 sites via a Teredo tunnel, which will be completely open to the Internet without a software firewall.

As it happens I do use software firewalls and promote their use if asked,

foddy 13-04-2011 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nopanic (Post 35212303)
I don't think that's true, VM need to support IPV6 tunnelling to convert the IPV6 to IPv4 and route to the correct location - which we don't (as far as I am aware).

Teredo is designed to work without ISP support, it encapsulates IPv6 in IPv4 datagrams. Take a look at the Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

If you don't have a software firewall, it's something to be concerned about.

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Fisher (Post 35212352)
As it happens I do use software firewalls and promote their use if asked,

That's good, but you didn't in your post above! You seemed to imply that NAT was enough protection (which it may not be, even without Teredo). If I misunderstood, then my apologies.

pip08456 13-04-2011 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by foddy (Post 35212251)

Get a life! Total rubbish!