Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : After 13 years with Virgin (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687470)

jodash 05-05-2012 15:18

Re: After 13 years with Virgin

I have also been with virgin etc from the early days of Blueyonder,have phoned on more then one occasion to reduce my bill but have never been offered some of the packages people have talked about,have made some small savings on my telephone service but that is all,would like to change to sky to take advantage of my Samsung 3D smart TV!,but to much hassle,I have the XL service

richard1960 05-05-2012 15:32

Deals are there to be had with VM for those that review their packages regularly like me.

I have M phone, TV XL with TiVo,10mb BB,Sky sports,and a V+ free of charge in the bedroom(allowed to keep old V+ box),and a £7 discount on my bill applied for 2 years,also got free TiVo and activation new 12 month contract though.

£73.50 after the current price rise is factored in.

My advice is get onto retensions and see what they can do for you.

OP you are paying way over the odds seemingly for what you have,but as you have not listed exactly what you have ie 10mb BB or Higher ect ect its hard to judge what you should be paying.

Superblade7 05-05-2012 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodash (Post 35423736)
I have also been with virgin etc from the early days of Blueyonder,have phoned on more then one occasion to reduce my bill but have never been offered some of the packages people have talked about,have made some small savings on my telephone service but that is all,would like to change to sky to take advantage of my Samsung 3D smart TV!,but to much hassle,I have the XL service

Check out the VM website, the new 'Collections' seem to be saving people some money if the are suitable for you.

Failing that, price up an equivalent package with Sky and then (if you are out of contract) give retentions a call and say Sky have offered me .... what can you do to match? They are usually pretty good about it and should offer you a better deal.

andy_m 05-05-2012 16:45

I heard an interesting tip on the radio this week. Some retention departments-and I don't know if Virgin are amongst them-have quotas for how many deals they're allowed to give out in any one day. The tip being, if you phone one day and get fobbed off, at least be prepared to phone again and give then another chance.

carlwaring 05-05-2012 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35423784)
..be prepared to phone again and give then another chance.

I would agree with that. As mentioned elsewhere, the deal I got on Monday (though not as good as I was originally told) was not available by Thursday. Though whether that was to do with "quotas" or not I wouldn't know.

Maggy 05-05-2012 18:52

Maybe Nor just wants a change..a break.Maybe he has no choice but to seek a much cheaper option with no quibbling.:erm:

carlwaring 05-05-2012 20:16

Well no-one's stopping him. Surely you can't make a post on a forum and not expect replies? He could have just done it and not posted about it if he didn't want people's comments.

thunderlips 05-05-2012 20:48

i upgraded to the tivo in march given a new 12 month contract, last week i was looking at the collections and noticed what it was offering was more than i got and i was paying more, so i called vm spoke to someone about this and got the cold shoulder ( not impressed ) so i called retentions and spoke to someone who agreed that what i was paying was to much ! so i got my bill reduced, broadband upgraded but to get this i had to sign another 12 month contract ( again ) so mr berket got a email from me !

Peter_ 05-05-2012 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlips (Post 35423877)
i upgraded to the tivo in march given a new 12 month contract, last week i was looking at the collections and noticed what it was offering was more than i got and i was paying more, so i called vm spoke to someone about this and got the cold shoulder ( not impressed ) so i called retentions and spoke to someone who agreed that what i was paying was to much ! so i got my bill reduced, broadband upgraded but to get this i had to sign another 12 month contract ( again ) so mr berket got a email from me !

And the issue is, you upgraded so that automatically means a new contract anywhere.:rolleyes:

Some people want it for free.:rolleyes:

thunderlips 05-05-2012 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35423879)
And the issue is, you upgraded so that automatically means a new contract anywhere.:rolleyes:

Some people want it for free.:rolleyes:

i did not expect anything for free ! the point was i only signed up for a new 12 month contract a few weeks before ! but to get my bill reduced as it should of been in the first place i had to sign a new contract again !

Maggy 05-05-2012 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35423858)
Well no-one's stopping him. Surely you can't make a post on a forum and not expect replies? He could have just done it and not posted about it if he didn't want people's comments.

And no one is stopping me from offering my opinion either.:dozey:

carlwaring 05-05-2012 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlips (Post 35423882)
i did not expect anything for free ! the point was i only signed up for a new 12 month contract a few weeks before ! but to get my bill reduced as it should of been in the first place i had to sign a new contract again !

So you have lost nothing and are saving some money. Not seeing a problem :confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35423883)
And no one is stopping me from offering my opinion either.:dozey:

Quite right too :D

thunderlips 05-05-2012 21:18

only saving money cause i pointed this out if i hadnt i would still have been paying over the top ! and i had only signed a 12 month contract a few weeks earlier and was made to sign another one a few weeks later to reduce my bill to what it should of been in the first place ! UNDERSTAND NOW IS IT CLEAR ?

Maggy 05-05-2012 21:20

Let's stick to the topic please.

carlwaring 05-05-2012 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderlips (Post 35423897)
only saving money cause i pointed this out if i hadnt i would still have been paying over the top ! and i had only signed a 12 month contract a few weeks earlier and was made to sign another one a few weeks later to reduce my bill to what it should of been in the first place ! UNDERSTAND NOW IS IT CLEAR ?

Yes. You have to sign a new contract every time you re-negotiate. That you already signed a new one recently is entirely irrelevant. Is THAT clear now?