Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Superhub & Virgin Media Business (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33677614)

ccarmock 12-05-2011 23:35

Superhub & Virgin Media Business

I am aware that Virgin Media Business are about to revamp their (outdated!) business cable broadband offerings to include a 50 Mb/s service shortly.

They will also offer a proper static IP address option (single or multiple address options).

All sounds great but they plan to use the Superhub to do this. In order to provide the Fixed IP addresses they will use the Superhub to form a L2TP tunnel into the Virgin media network. They have testers doign this now I gather.

Given that I want to upgrade from the 10 Mb/s VMB service to the 50 Mb/s one I am nervous about the Superhub replacing a rock solid stable Scientific Atlanta EPC2100 modem.

They will be offering a 'NO NAT' option whereby the LAN side of the Superhub will have a public routable IP address, hwoever to run the tunnel is going to put more of a load on the device.

I read with interest Ingi's experiences of his Superhub needing multiple reboots per day, and don't look forward to havign to do that.

Reading various posts here I know there are some that have no problems with the Superhub, but others do, especially when stressing it more. Given the extra configuration & load to operate the tunnel I am concerned about stability.

I assume that negotiations with this mystery new supplier of superhubs are too early for VMB to be using a version other than the Netgear.

However given that there will be a NO NAT option as well as tunning options this implies somethign about these Superbhubs will be different to those used for residential service.

Does anyone have any more insight into what will be used?

Nopanic 13-05-2011 07:50

Re: Superhub & Virgin Media Business

The modem is of course a slightly different model, but I'm not sure on the restrictions around sharing information on it, so will check before I post more.

ccarmock 13-05-2011 16:36

Thanks Nopanic it would be good to know whatever you are able to share, as currently the reports I am reading here abou tthe Superhub will put me off taking the new business services, as I can't take a risk with stability.

However if this is a different model device that could give me additional confidence!

Nopanic 13-05-2011 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35235580)
Thanks Nopanic it would be good to know whatever you are able to share, as currently the reports I am reading here abou tthe Superhub will put me off taking the new business services, as I can't take a risk with stability.

However if this is a different model device that could give me additional confidence!

I wasn't able to get an answer today, but to be honest business connections bring with them an extra level of response. Saying that, I totally understand your concerns.

I will try again on Monday, if Ben or Dan is about, they might be able to share more info on it.

ccarmock 19-05-2011 05:38

Were you able to get the OK to share some information on this with us?

ccarmock 02-06-2011 21:14

I guess the answer is no :-)

Originally expecting the new services to be launched on 31st May, when calling I was told further delays - of approx 3 weeks. Hopefully this isn't due to issues with the business version of the Superhub!

Sephiroth 02-06-2011 22:03

Igni also reports that in Bridge Mode his SH works perfectly and he has a decent router sitting behind it.

The replacement brand SH will be from a top notch supplier. The clue was in Igni's revalation!

Peter_ 02-06-2011 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35250716)

The replacement brand SH will be from a top notch supplier. The clue was in Igni's revalation!

It is not a replacement actually we are having dual manufacturers of the same device with the same performance and interface to ensure that we have no issues with providing stock.

ccarmock 02-06-2011 22:12

It will not be possible to use the Business fixed IP service in a bridge mode, since the router VM supply needs to for an L2TP tunnel into the VM network.

I understood that the Business service would use different hardware, as the current Superhub doesn't have L2TP capabilities.

Skie 02-06-2011 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35250722)
It is not a replacement actually we are having dual manufacturers of the same device with the same performance and interface to ensure that we have no issues with providing stock.

VM have actually specified they want something with wonky wifi and routing issues?

Chrysalis 02-06-2011 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35250722)

same frontend, but likely different backend code. so same featureset but with different underlying code delivering thsoe features. At the very least there will be netgear's brand removed from the advanced pages.

possibly also different underlying chipset to deliver the features, although on paper it will be same features like 4xgigabit port it wouldnt surprise me if the wireless chipset is changed at the very least.

jb66 02-06-2011 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35250736)
VM have actually specified they want something with wonky wifi and routing issues?

LOL :p:

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

Its bad enough handing out SA v+ boxes " But I want a samsung, waaa waaa" now it will be "I want a cisco superhub waaaaaaa"

Skie 02-06-2011 22:29

Aye. I can see people calling india, telling them their hub is faulty and getting a new one shipped. Repeat process until you are lucky enough to get the new one.

One good thing about offshore, they are more than happy to send out new kit at the drop of a hat just to get rid of you.

Kymmy 02-06-2011 22:31

Business support is purely UK..

Peter_ 02-06-2011 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35250741)
LOL :p:

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

Its bad enough handing out SA v+ boxes " But I want a samsung, waaa waaa" now it will be "I want a cisco superhub waaaaaaa"

The will be very little difference and both will offer the same performance and identical interface.

You will be issued them side by side from central stores and you are to replace them or fit them on a first box that gets picked up system.

If we send out a replacement then the first box within reach of the picker will be the one sent out and it has been designed this way to prevent picking and choosing.

It is not a Cisco box either.;)

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35250749)
Aye. I can see people calling india, telling them their hub is faulty and getting a new one shipped. Repeat process until you are lucky enough to get the new one.

Little point they are using the same software and interface and will perform identically.

Skie 02-06-2011 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35250754)
Business support is purely UK..

Talking about the second coming of the superhub, praise be to the superhub.

jb66 02-06-2011 23:36

My hub that was rebooting every few hours has been online in another area for 6 days. I think there is a compatibility issue with the old amps where I live. Vmng300 has been solid in my house. Roll on the 100meg rollout, wonder if it will reboot after that!

Mick Fisher 03-06-2011 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35250809)
My hub that was rebooting every few hours has been online in another area for 6 days. I think there is a compatibility issue with the old amps where I live. Vmng300 has been solid in my house. Roll on the 100meg rollout, wonder if it will reboot after that!

My rebooting problem seems to have sorted itself out.

Only 1 spontaneous reboot in the last 10 days. No changes my end so your amp theory could be right. Definately some sort of a network issue IMO.

Kymmy 03-06-2011 10:39

This isn't a thread on Superhub issues but instead the coming usage of Superhubs by Virgin Media Business, can we please stay on topic.

ccarmock 03-06-2011 15:59

Thanks Kymmy...

My original question was whether there was any more information available about the Superhub that the VM Business service will use, which I gather is a different device to the residential one in part due to the fact that the device will need to form an L2TP tunnel to support the static IP services that VM Business will be offering.

As this service isn't yet launched information might not be available, which is fine. But any clarification would be really useful.

Also I gather there is a further 3 week delay in launch of the new VMB services, and I wonder if Superhub issues are the reason.

pip08456 03-06-2011 16:06

As the base for the service appears to be a version of the s****hub and they are still having firmware problems with the residential version, it could be the cause of the delay.

ccarmock 03-06-2011 22:10

That's exactly what I am wondering to be honest. There was a comment here that it was a completely different device, but it is still referred to as a Superhub.

Sephiroth 03-06-2011 22:34

It makes sense to me that the replacement SH would be used for VM Business.

But we're all trying to get inside VM's head. Some might say, VM's head is stuck in the sand and that they reckon their current SH to be the dogs because the majority of users aren't complaining.

Others might say that there is more than tacit recognition of the current SH's shortcomings because a replacement is on the way (no pun intended - go figure).

In the latter case, it would be remarkable (or pig headed) if the current SH would be supplied with a VM Business service.

Peter_ 03-06-2011 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35251369)
In the latter case, it would be remarkable (or pig headed) if the current SH would be supplied with a VM Business service.

Both Superhubs will be issued alongside each other with no distinction between them as they will be using the same firmware and interface so the would be no issue.

The only difference will be in that the are two suppliers.

ccarmock 03-06-2011 22:44

Masque - this is about the Superhub to be issued with the Virgin media business service not the residential service. There will be a difference as the Business one will support the creation of an L2TP tunnel. I don't believe the residential one has that capability.

This isn't a thread knocking the Superhub at all just about trying to get some understanding of the forthcoming Business Superhub if any information is available, neither is it about the forthcoming identical Superhub from another supplier, unless of course the business service will use the same device after all and there is L2TP capability that is hidden from view.

Peter_ 03-06-2011 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35251379)
Masque - this is about the Superhub to be issued with the Virgin media business service not the residential service. There will be a difference as the Business one will support the creation of an L2TP tunnel. I don't believe the residential one has that capability.

It will be built by both suppliers though.

pip08456 03-06-2011 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35251379)

This isn't a thread knocking the Superhub at all just about trying to get some understanding of the forthcoming Business Superhub if any information is available, neither is it about the forthcoming identical Superhub from another supplier, unless of course the business service will use the same device after all and there is L2TP capability that is hidden from view.

Masque works with residential so you can't blame him for lack of knowledge for business.

If I were a business customer though wishing to upgrade I'd be afraid, very afraid!

Chrysalis 03-06-2011 22:50

if the supplier is diferent ie. not netgear then the firmware will also be different because of different chips.

not to mention that the current firmware is netgear branded.

ccarmock 03-06-2011 22:51

So is the Superhub to be used by Virgin Media Business the same as the current residential one?

pip08456 03-06-2011 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35251390)
So is the Superhub to be used by Virgin Media Business the same as the current residential one?

Who knows? VM are not releasing that info ATM. It is doing VM no favours as it leads to speculation that it will be.

ccarmock 03-06-2011 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35251387)
Masque works with residential so you can't blame him for lack of knowledge for business.

If I were a business customer though wishing to upgrade I'd be afraid, very afraid!

I agree which is why I was seeking clarification as it sounded as if he may have missed the fact this was about the business services and not residential.

I am a customer of VM Business on their 10 Mb/s service with 'fixed' IP address, and keen to upgrade to their 50 Mb/s service, which was originally due to be launched on 31st May, but has been delayed some 3 weeks.

Given that the way they will provide the true static IP addresses (and static IP subnets) will be via an L2TP tunnel on the router there will be no option to use Modem only mode.

Given the service has been absolutely rock solid stable for the past three years using a Scientific Atlanta modem connected my my own Cisco 881W router I am keen to find out as much as I can about how the new service will be provided before making a decision on upgrade.

Chrysalis 03-06-2011 22:57

I do find it shocking VM are going to use this for a business service.

Peter_ 03-06-2011 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35251389)
if the supplier is diferent ie. not netgear then the firmware will also be different because of different chips.

not to mention that the current firmware is netgear branded.

The will be a different chipset but they are keeping the firmware and interface the same, obviously it will be written for the 2nd model but apart from that the will be very little difference and you will not have a distinction like we have with the 2 V+ Vboxes, as you will get the modem that is installed and not given a choice because they have been designed to work in the same way and with the same performance.

Chrysalis 03-06-2011 23:02

you basically mean same feature set and interface design.

but with a different chipset and different firmware supplier the actual performance could well be very different.

eg. the current superhub cant get above 500mbit on wired gigabit and has poor wireless performance, its entirely possible the other superhub will not have these issues.

Peter_ 03-06-2011 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35251413)
you basically mean same feature set and interface design.

but with a different chipset and different firmware supplier the actual performance could well be very different.

eg. the current superhub cant get above 500mbit on wired gigabit and has poor wireless performance, its entirely possible the other superhub will not have these issues.

They have designed it to perform exactly the same or near as damn it to the present Superhub, the interface will be the same so as to ensure that everyone knows where everything is which saves on training.

pip08456 03-06-2011 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35251395)
I agree which is why I was seeking clarification as it sounded as if he may have missed the fact this was about the business services and not residential.

I am a customer of VM Business on their 10 Mb/s service with 'fixed' IP address, and keen to upgrade to their 50 Mb/s service, which was originally due to be launched on 31st May, but has been delayed some 3 weeks.

Given that the way they will provide the true static IP addresses (and static IP subnets) will be via an L2TP tunnel on the router there will be no option to use Modem only mode.

Given the service has been absolutely rock solid stable for the past three years using a Scientific Atlanta modem connected my my own Cisco 881W router I am keen to find out as much as I can about how the new service will be provided before making a decision on upgrade.

What I find astounding is that VM have not released to their business customers exactly what equipment they are going to have to use for the "improved" service.

The delays in deployment would appear to mirror the delays in the residential S****hub firmware deployment.

That in itself would lead to speculation that it will be supplied via the same kit!

ccarmock 03-06-2011 23:29

You've got it in one pip - hence my concern!

pip08456 03-06-2011 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35251435)
You've got it in one pip - hence my concern!

I got it in one for you earlier!

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Sephiroth 03-06-2011 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35251406)
The will be a different chipset but they are keeping the firmware and interface the same, obviously it will be written for the 2nd model but apart from that the will be very little difference and you will not have a distinction like we have with the 2 V+ Vboxes, as you will get the modem that is installed and not given a choice because they have been designed to work in the same way and with the same performance.

There's a huge difference between buggy firmware and well written firmware. Igni made this point in another thread.

I'd expect the spec to be the same.

pip08456 03-06-2011 23:51

There is nothing wrong with the internal spec. As you say, it's all down to the firmware.

Sephiroth 03-06-2011 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35251390)

I'm astonished at the way thie answer to this question seems to be avoided by the VM insiders.

craigj2k12 03-06-2011 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35251447)
There is nothing wrong with the internal spec. As you say, it's all down to the firmware.

the wireless isnt great, it would probably need redesigning inside but mostly firmware, not tested it myself but apparently modem only still gives more jitter so maybe there is hardware problems, either way if it was asda price it would be better than netgears shoddy attempt

pip08456 03-06-2011 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigj2k11 (Post 35251452)
the wireless isnt great, it would probably need redesigning inside but mostly firmware, not tested it myself but apparently modem only still gives more jitter so maybe there is hardware problems, either way if it was asda price it would be better than netgears shoddy attempt

I was referring to the chipset, nothing more.

ccarmock 03-06-2011 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35251448)
I'm astonished at the way thie answer to this question seems to be avoided by the VM insiders.

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt since most here are on the residential side. However I did note that there was a very quick jump to defend the Superhub and to point out there will be no differences, yet the question wasn't about the alternative manufacturer of the residential Superhub, nor was this a criticism of the Superhub at all.

I must admit I am beginning to form the same conclusion that they are one and the same, since the VMB delays seem to map to the firmware delays we are seeing. Hopefully I am wrong!

pip08456 03-06-2011 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35251456)
I am giving them the benefit of the doubt since most here are on the residential side. However I did note that there was a very quick jump to defend the Superhub and to point out there will be no differences, yet the question wasn't about the alternative manufacturer of the residential Superhub, nor was this a criticism of the Superhub at all.

I must admit I am beginning to form the same conclusion that they are one and the same, since the VMB delays seem to map to the firmware delays we are seeing. Hopefully I am wrong!

A reasonable stance to take due to the lack of information forthcoming for business users.

craigj2k12 04-06-2011 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35251455)
I was referring to the chipset, nothing more.

you said "internal spec", how was i meant to know that :D

Nopanic 04-06-2011 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35250716)
Igni also reports that in Bridge Mode his SH works perfectly and he has a decent router sitting behind it.

I think his source just heard something and passed it on .. he doesn't seem to know much about it ..

ccarmock 04-06-2011 11:50

Does anyone know anything about the forthcoming Virgin Media BUSINESS Superhub?

Nopanic 04-06-2011 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35251607)
Does anyone know anything about the forthcoming Virgin Media BUSINESS Superhub?

I've got one setup, service wise it does as it should but thats pretty much as far as I go with testing .. get it to work and make sure it works with all levels of service it should ..

Seems to be very much like the SH to be honest, clearly its got some big differences, but you need someone from Netgear or VM to allow the specs to be released to find anything interesting.

Sorry I can't be of much us .. doesn't Ste (cable team) work for business ?

craigj2k12 05-06-2011 00:06

So another different superhub again for business?

Nopanic 05-06-2011 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigj2k11 (Post 35251998)
So another different superhub again for business?

Its a different modem, I don't think Superhub is in the name .. I can't remember what they decided to call it ..

Looks pretty much the same though .. but then the Superhub does look good.

In fact scrap that .. I've only seen what they have used to test, so it could just be a test case .. case ..

ccarmock 05-06-2011 12:34

So it's Netgear then, thoguh good to hear a different product to the residential one. Looking at the standard Netgear products this one seems to be the one that meets the requirements - ie L2TP and support for Static subnets, albeit in a different case.

http://www.netgear.com/service-provi...CG3000DCR.aspx

Nopanic 05-06-2011 12:36

I really don't know .. I might not be talking about the same device ..

craigj2k12 05-06-2011 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nopanic (Post 35252204)
I really don't know .. I might not be talking about the same device ..

giving false information again.....

Nopanic 05-06-2011 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigj2k11 (Post 35252245)
giving false information again.....

Its a business ploy to lead you away from the new Supersuperhub ..

craigj2k12 05-06-2011 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nopanic (Post 35252246)
Its a business ploy to lead you away from the new Supersuperhub ..

whats it called, the amazinghub

qasdfdsaq 08-06-2011 21:27

'Magic' Hub.

As in it magically stops working when there is no plausible reason or influence that could cause it to do so.

Skie 08-06-2011 22:25

They would be morons to keep the superhub name when launching a new business product after it has been so thoroughly dragged through the mud on the consumer side, even if it is the same kit with some firmware tweaks. It will probably use the Tivo convention of being stupidly long. So the "Virgin Media Business Hub powered by Netgear."

ccarmock 13-06-2011 17:27

I spoke to Business sales today again. They now have a date of 1st July for the new services. Told me the service does come with a combined modem/router but that its not the same device residential use (as far as he knows!).

He also confirmed that the price for business 50 Mb/s service with phone line will be £54 a month, which will include the existing 60 mins inclusive call package for UK & selected international calls. However they are adding free calls to UK mobiles now (first 10 mins).

The 10 Mb/s service will stay, but the 20 Mb/s service will be replaced by a business 30 Mb/s service at £44 per month (including phone line). True static IP addresses will be available on all packages. for £5 a month for a single static IP or £10 for 5 static IP addresses.

Kymmy 13-06-2011 17:44

So nothing like what you were originally told :rolleyes:

Any word on upload speeds?

ccarmock 13-06-2011 17:53

Upload speeds will be 3 Mb/s for the 30 Mb/s service and 5 Mb/s for the 50. So the same as residential, and these will follow the upload upgrade plans being rolled out at the moment.

Kymmy 13-06-2011 17:57

10Mb upload? Already rolled out for residential in my area but no change for VMB

ccarmock 13-06-2011 18:02

Sorry didn't ask about the 10 Mb/s service... I assume it should be uplifted to 1 Mb/s. The 10 Mb/s service is still going to be offered, so I don't see them not changeing to upload on that too. Might be worth a call to them about that.

Kymmy 13-06-2011 18:20

If it happens then it'll just be a config change, not much point in calling them..

Also if I call them they might start charging me for the fixed IP's ;)

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

I wonder how much they'll charge for upgrading?? Just that they wanted £20 just for setting up caller-ID :rolleyes:

ccarmock 13-06-2011 18:23

Wow they activated Caller ID for me free! There is a monthly charge, but I didn't have to pay an activation fee.

Upgrade costs from an existing package or where cable is present is £49, or £99 if it's a new install. Upgrade does involve an engineer visit.

mikeey2 14-06-2011 10:32

Can you get this with out a telephone line

ccarmock 14-06-2011 15:46

Yes it is available without a phone line. £29 for 50 Mb/s and £24 for 30 Mb/s

all of these are 3 year contracts.

qasdfdsaq 14-06-2011 15:48

Yes

mikeey2 14-06-2011 16:32

3 year contract, ouch!!!

Cheers

Kymmy 02-07-2011 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35257071)
I spoke to Business sales today again. They now have a date of 1st July for the new services.

And still not here.. that's now 18+ months since they promised the new packages :cry:

Stephen 02-07-2011 11:41

Its coming, just a small delay. I got my briefing on the new services during the week.

ccarmock 02-07-2011 13:13

How small is the delay this time? I was originally told Jan/Feb which was then pushed to May and then June and then most recently was told 1st July is the definite launch.

I know this is the danger of disclosing the dates. But as Kymmy points out this is now 18+ months late.

Are you able to confirm if the delays are due to buggy Superhub firmware? Everyone seems silent when this is asked, yet some people have said the business device will be different, however to the untrained eye the repeated delays in the new business services do seem to be tracking the delays in new Superhub firmware fairly closely.

Mick Fisher 02-07-2011 15:46

On Cable, everything's always 'Coming Soon'.

Surely you've noticed that by now. :)

Nopanic 02-07-2011 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35267039)
How small is the delay this time? I was originally told Jan/Feb which was then pushed to May and then June and then most recently was told 1st July is the definite launch.

I know this is the danger of disclosing the dates. But as Kymmy points out this is now 18+ months late.

Are you able to confirm if the delays are due to buggy Superhub firmware? Everyone seems silent when this is asked, yet some people have said the business device will be different, however to the untrained eye the repeated delays in the new business services do seem to be tracking the delays in new Superhub firmware fairly closely.

The Superhub has given us things to consider.

ccarmock 02-07-2011 17:52

Is there any clarity on whether the Business SuperHub & residential Superhub are one and the same device?

Nopanic 02-07-2011 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35267256)
Is there any clarity on whether the Business SuperHub & residential Superhub are one and the same device?

They are two separate devices ..

ccarmock 02-07-2011 18:12

Thanks for the confirmation. So I assume then that the things you are having to consider for the Business Superhub are unrelated in any way to the work being undertaken on the residential superhub.

I guess you can't comment on the revised launch date?

Kymmy 02-07-2011 19:30

Cost of services will be interesting.. When I first started on VMB it was a case of having advantages over the residential services such as:

1# Faster upload
2# Free tech support calls
3# Included fixed IP's
4# No traffic management

Now if you take the details put forward in the thread the only free advantage will be the no Traffic Management (and that's only on the lower packages.)

I'm seriously wondering what the advantages are in being tied down to another long term contract and paying for the upgrade??

Too little too late for an uncompetitive package at a dear price?? We'll have to wait and see..

Stephen 04-07-2011 09:55

Also they are no longer just fixed IPs but proper Static IPs and available on both 30Mb & 50Mb

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nopanic (Post 35267264)
They are two separate devices ..

Are you 100% on that? From what I have seen its the same device.

ccarmock 05-07-2011 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35266993)
Its coming, just a small delay. I got my briefing on the new services during the week.

I called Business sales today - was told I was due 1st July, but now likely to be a 2-3 month delay. Is this right? As Kymmy says this is now 18+ months late. Though the person I spoek to said it's all gone very quiet now.

VMB has been left way behind by other business broadband providers. The unfortunate situation for me is that BT Infinity isn't going to give me much more than the 10 Mb/s I get from VMB now so I have little choice but wait.

Stephen 05-07-2011 12:18

I don't think it will be as long as that at all. Will see what I can find out.

ccarmock 05-07-2011 13:02

Thanks it would be useful to know.....

Kymmy 05-07-2011 15:07

You're lucky, best I can get besides VM/VMB is 6.5Mb down 800Kb up with ADSL. No ADSL2 or Infinity here for many years yet..

Still though being a small company I can't justify spending more than the current costs especially with our industry being hit so hard :(

I really do hope they are going to think about freely upgrading existing customers and not just try to rely on new customers or extortionate upgrade fees for services that we should be on anyway :(

ccarmock 07-07-2011 00:15

I gather the upgrade fee for existing customers is £50
I had a call back from VMB and had a much longer conversation with someone who seemed very clued up on the next steps.

He acknowledged the delay and apologised. Said there were multiple reasons but one of them IS firmware related on the business Superhub. I asked about that device and was told it is identical hardware to the residential one but with a different version of firmware with the extra L2TP options in. However some good news is that the modem part will form the L2TP tunnel to support fixed IP not the router side and thus bridge mode will be supported, though not at launch.

He told me the likely launch time is during August as they are waiting on Netgear to issue new firmware.

qasdfdsaq 07-07-2011 14:18

Yikes. Bridge mode not supported at launch. Where have we heard this one before?

Stephen 07-07-2011 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35269928)
Yikes. Bridge mode not supported at launch. Where have we heard this one before?

That may be the partial reason for delay though. Waiting on the firmware.

Kymmy 07-07-2011 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35269928)

That's going to mess up a lot of business networks

ccarmock 07-07-2011 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35269940)
That's going to mess up a lot of business networks

In what respect?

theoldbill 07-07-2011 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35270045)
In what respect?

Use of owned or managed hardware at a guess - oh and the need for more than 4 network ports :cool:

ccarmock 07-07-2011 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by theoldbill (Post 35270177)
Use of owned or managed hardware at a guess - oh and the need for more than 4 network ports :cool:

The current business modem is owned by VMB. More than 4 ports can be acheived by connecting to a switch.

The issue I was concerned about was if VMB insist on their router holding the public IP address, then all devices behind that woudl have a private address ie 192.168.xx.xx or 10.0.0.0/8 etc. However they are going to offer a no NAT option with multiple fixed IP addresses than can be assigned to customer equipment.

Kymmy 08-07-2011 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35269726)
He told me the likely launch time is during August as they are waiting on Netgear to issue new firmware.

Did he specify which year?? :rolleyes:

ccarmock 08-07-2011 10:29

No he didn't - good point! :)

Nopanic 08-07-2011 10:38

clever guy :)

Kymmy 24-07-2011 19:45

But they can only do a no NAT fixed IP with bridge mode ;) which has already been stated will not be available at launch.. hence my point that it'll mess up a lot of businesses who don't realise this on ordering. ;)

ccarmock 24-07-2011 20:24

They can do a No NAT without bridge mode too apparently.

Also latest news on availability - September - every month that goes my sees this go back by a month.

theoldbill 25-07-2011 11:02

Does Business traffic get a higher priority in the local network over residential traffic?

Kymmy 25-07-2011 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by theoldbill (Post 35278227)
Does Business traffic get a higher priority in the local network over residential traffic?

They used to say that you had a better contention ratio but that info was never believed and seems to have vanished from their website ;)

Sephiroth 25-07-2011 12:10

My understanding is that QoS is deployed to favour business circuits. Do Kymmy or Ben agree?

Kymmy 25-07-2011 12:17

Honestly no idea.. It seemed no faster when I switched from VM to VMB and results were no different.. Only someone with access to the config could probably agree or not..

Kymmy 10-08-2011 16:59

Sept/Oct was the date I got from someone associated with the project though they did say that they're not privvy to the actual exact release details..

They did say that this would probably be 50 and 100Mb only with the 10/20 being left as existing packages..

I hope though that they realise that the can't leave the 10/20 packages as is especially as they are so out-dated..