Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Nuclear Power - What are your views on it (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33675801)

Halcyon 13-03-2011 10:46

Nuclear Power - What are your views on it

Having seen what is happening in Japan with nuclear reactors leaking and exploding it quickly brings back memories of Chernobyl and the disaster that happened there.

Do you think we should continue to use these nuclear resources?

Apparently there are still discussions going on constantly as to what we can do with the radioactive waste that comes out of these power plants as it needs storing for many years before they become decontaminated - often thosands of years.

To me this type of power is a hazard and should have never been used in the first place.

What are your thoughts?

Hom3r 13-03-2011 11:32

Re: Nuclear Power - What are your views on it

You cannot compare the problems in Japan with Chernobyl.

Chernobyl's reactors had major design flaws.

Japans reactors survived the earthquake, and even though the power failed the backup diesel generator kicked in, but the tsunami took them out.

Plus what does Japn use instead? It has no natural coal or oil, so to remain indepentant as possible.

Paul 13-03-2011 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 35192046)
Having seen what is happening in Japan with nuclear reactors leaking and exploding it quickly brings back memories of Chernobyl and the disaster that happened there.

Do you think we should continue to use these nuclear resources?

Apparently there are still discussions going on constantly as to what we can do with the radioactive waste that comes out of these power plants as it needs storing for many years before they become decontaminated - often thosands of years.

To me this type of power is a hazard and should have never been used in the first place.

What are your thoughts?

I wondered how long it would be before the anti nuclear power brigade popped up. ;)

The world is full of hazards, and as seen above, radiation comes from many sources. So yes, we should continue to use them, unless you have some magic alternative of course :)

Do you know of another source of power thats commercially viable and can provide the same levels of power, anywhere in the world ?

deadite66 13-03-2011 13:43

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-nuclear-waste

Quote:

Coal Ash Is More Radioactive than Nuclear Waste

martyh 13-03-2011 13:45

I agree with Hom3er and Hero yuy ,the benefits far outweigh the risks .Given the number of nuclear power stations around the world they appear to be far safer than any other power plants simply because they are far tighter regulated by the international community and the more it is used the safer it will get as technology and experience increases

Peter_ 13-03-2011 14:02

We have no other viable option but to use nuclear power if we want to keep our present standard of living as to close them all down would be a retrograde step.

Halcyon 13-03-2011 14:14

I see what you are all saying and that there is no other method for producing mass power but I just thought that the effects and dangers from a nuclear powerp lant outweighed others.
It is interesting to see that coal produces more as well.

Paul K 13-03-2011 14:28

Without an alternative that is safe and clean we have accept that Nuclear is indispensable for many countries. That said I for one would be happier seeing a clean alternative but until unit pricing for clean energy reduces it is no more than a dream for now.

cookie_365 13-03-2011 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 35192046)
Having seen what is happening in Japan with nuclear reactors leaking and exploding

What leaking and exploding nuclear reactors?

Sirius 13-03-2011 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie_365 (Post 35192200)
What leaking and exploding nuclear reactors?

Indeed there has not been any exploding reactors except if you watch Sky news who are trying there best to drum one up :)

martyh 13-03-2011 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35192202)
Indeed there has not been any exploding reactors except if you watch Sky news who are trying there best to drum one up :)

indeed it was a hydrogen explosion which is a totally different thing and was expected ,it is also expected in reactor 3 .If you watch the before/after footage you will see that only part of the building was removed by the explosion and i use that word deliberately because the building is engineered to do that if a hydrogen explosion should occure ,keeping the reactor secure

Damien 13-03-2011 21:54

It should be pointed out that, for the most part, the nuclear power stations in Japan haven't leaked much radiation despite one of the biggest earthquakes ever recorded hitting them.

danielf 13-03-2011 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35192065)
Japans reactors survived the earthquake, and even though the power failed the backup diesel generator kicked in, but the tsunami took them out.

I'm not sure if that actually is what happened, but if it is, one has to wonder why they built a nuclear power station right on the coast in an area that is prone to Tsunamis. If the station had been a few miles inland, then presumably there wouldn't have been a problem?

martyh 13-03-2011 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35192400)
I'm not sure if that actually is what happened, but if it is, one has to wonder why they built a nuclear power station right on the coast in an area that is prone to Tsunamis. If the station had been a few miles inland, then presumably there wouldn't have been a problem?

That was one question asked on the news ,and i did wonder myself,but the answer is quite simple ,close proximity to water and lets face it if the reactors survive this without going critical then it was a correct descision as they are using sea water to cool them now

Maggy 13-03-2011 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35192400)

Japan has very little open space.She is mainly a group of high mountainous islands and the population live in the flat bits at the edges.

http://enviro-map.com/japans-mountainous-areas-map