Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686670)

gouldy 30-03-2012 20:19

Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjf288 (Post 35407428)
Might be time to get in contact with BT Infinity...

i cant get it yet, but tbh if i could get the 80/20 that will be rolled out soon, this new stm on 100mb might be enough to push me over to bt tbh, unless the stm is very high, say 40gb minimum

but i wouldn't be surprised it being 15-20gb tops

nothing short of a disgrace paying top, top dollar and having it restricted, going to 100mb and not worrying about stm was my main reason upgrading (and having the 10mb upload) :td:

if im gonna have to start watching what im downloading, i will probably drop down to 30/3 and download in the night like i did before

Chrysalis 30-03-2012 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepitretro (Post 35407409)
OK just rang up and they said 100/120 mb will be 250gig before STM kicks in and then a 50% reduction in speed, and STM times will run from 10AM till 3PM, but he didn't know about the protocol shaping? And the upload will be 120gig before STM kicks in.....

Was going to leave but the changes seem fair enough to me, plus infinity has been put back 3 months in my area!!!!

250gig per day? that sounds very high actually, how long would it take to download 250gig with 100mbit speeds?

did he say upload STM limit?

keepitretro 30-03-2012 20:48

120gb between 10am and 3pm.

Chrysalis 30-03-2012 20:54

even thats very high.

they gone from one extreme to the other.

with limits that high they may as well keep it STM free and avoid the bad PR.

ok so a 100mbit line can do 32tb a month which I calculated at a per hour rate of 44gig an hour.

for an unlimited service of course there really shouldnt be any of these games going on but knowing how hard VM are pushing their capacity then for this to be effective I would expect it to allow 2 hours max of full speed constant usage. which would be about 90gig of usage. and on upload about an hour of usage as thats much more congested so maybe about 4.5gig usage on upload STM for top tier. In short with these limits I dont know why they bothering.

kwikbreaks 30-03-2012 22:00

Nor me. I doubt the numbers are correct.

philipp 30-03-2012 23:21

If those numbers are correct, I bet its for a 28/monthly period. We shall soon see. If its correct, based on 28-day figure, it be a 170 gig reduction between those times.

I have a feeling its some confusion over the figures, however as isnt 250 gig a month figure the magical decremential use figure in peak times?

watzizname 31-03-2012 00:54

Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's actually per month..

knack 31-03-2012 04:42

Removing unlimited downloads would be an extreme change which I think is very unlikely.

I think (and hope) the person that keepitretro spoke to just didn't know what they were talking about.

keepitretro 31-03-2012 05:03

They sounded like they knew what they were talking about! For a change.

General Maximus 31-03-2012 06:57

I am not too bothered about the usage limits but if it is going to be between 1000 and 1500 it is a flipping joke and shows the network isnt up to scratch and they shouldnt be doing the speed increases. I can understand 1600-2100 for peak time in the evenings but if you are going to implement stm all day (when most people are at work) and only be un-stm'd at night, that means the network cant handle the speed at all unless everyone is asleep and there are a hand full of people using it in the country.

DaMac 31-03-2012 07:48

I'm on 50 meg, and i've recently noticed my connection being capped at 15 meg at peak times, it must be a recent thing because i've never noticed it before, have Virgin changed their policy without letting me know?

broadbandking 31-03-2012 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by gouldy (Post 35407434)
i cant get it yet, but tbh if i could get the 80/20 that will be rolled out soon, this new stm on 100mb might be enough to push me over to bt tbh, unless the stm is very high, say 40gb minimum

but i wouldn't be surprised it being 15-20gb tops

nothing short of a disgrace paying top, top dollar and having it restricted, going to 100mb and not worrying about stm was my main reason upgrading (and having the 10mb upload) :td:

if im gonna have to start watching what im downloading, i will probably drop down to 30/3 and download in the night like i did before

The price of 100Mb is hardly top dollar take a look at leased lines now that top dollar, VM run a contented service so the bandwidth will be shared downloading anything I think 50Mb is more than enough and you seriously can't download that much everynight even streaming HD all night you wouldn't get STM'd as I am guessing the limits won't be that low.

carlwaring 31-03-2012 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by knack (Post 35407523)
Removing unlimited downloads would be an extreme change which I think is very unlikely.

Who said they're "removing unlimited downloads"? :confused:

All tiers have always had un-limited downloads, just not unlimited speed; and it looks like this is to continue.

data0002 31-03-2012 12:37

Just a quick question if they are removing the 50meg unlimited downloads and sort of capping haven't they got to give us 28 days notice as it will be a change of our t&c's

knack 31-03-2012 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35407551)
Who said they're "removing unlimited downloads"? :confused:

All tiers have always had un-limited downloads, just not unlimited speed; and it looks like this is to continue.

Hmm now I'm confused - I thought that's what the posts above mine were implying. Perhaps I'm wrong:

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipp (Post 35407509)
If those numbers are correct, I bet its for a 28/monthly period. We shall soon see. If its correct, based on 28-day figure, it be a 170 gig reduction between those times.

I have a feeling its some confusion over the figures, however as isnt 250 gig a month figure the magical decremential use figure in peak times?

Quote:

Originally Posted by watzizname (Post 35407519)
Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's actually per month..