Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ITV1 HD on Virgin (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33661500)

doog442 10-02-2010 21:36

ITV1 HD on Virgin

Rang customer relations tonight to ask about HD world cup footage and the guy told me that they would have ITV1 HD by April...he said it wasnt being advertised at the moment

I havent been through the 45 pages of the new HD channels thread but can anyone back this up?

My expectation is that there will be a massive exodus of sports fans to Sky this summer unless Virgin pull some sort of rabbit out the bag

Footie in SD on big tellies aint good :td:

Nook29 10-02-2010 21:39

Re: ITV1 HD on Virgin

Take everything customer services tell you with a huge pinch of salt. Whilst ITV1 HD is certain to appear at some point, there is no definite date as of yet.

doog442 10-02-2010 21:43

am just wandering if its actually on Sky? Looks like BBC and ITV have the rights.

Nook29 10-02-2010 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by doog442 (Post 34961919)
am just wandering if its actually on Sky? Looks like BBC and ITV have the rights.

Not officially. Sky customers can manually tune into the current ITV HD broadcast, which is currently red button content. The only provider which officially provides ITV HD is Freesat.

ITV1 HD will be different to ITV HD, in that ITV1 HD will be a proper simulcast of ITV1, as opposed to ITV HD which is accessed by the red button from ITV1 when a HD programme is being shown.

Joedm45 10-02-2010 22:45

I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the major International sports events ie. Football World Cup, Euro Champs, Olympics etc HAVE to be on terrestrial TV according to the latest TV rights contracts.

VM would be missing a big trick if the world cup is to be shown on ITV HD and they don't get that channel before the start of the tournament.

PS. I believe the freesat ITV HD exclusivity deal has run out according to another post on this forum but I forget where

Andrewcrawford23 10-02-2010 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 34961966)
I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the major International sports events ie. Football World Cup, Euro Champs, Olympics etc HAVE to be on terrestrial TV according to the latest TV rights contracts.

VM would be missing a big trick if the world cup is to be shown on ITV HD and they don't get that channel before the start of the tournament.

PS. I believe the freesat ITV HD exclusivity deal has run out according to another post on this forum but I forget where

your are correct but it does say it has to be in hd but itv do want it on sall platform for the wrld cup

Digital Fanatic 11-02-2010 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by doog442 (Post 34961910)
Rang customer relations tonight to ask about HD world cup footage and the guy told me that they would have ITV1 HD by April...he said it wasnt being advertised at the moment

I havent been through the 45 pages of the new HD channels thread but can anyone back this up?

My expectation is that there will be a massive exodus of sports fans to Sky this summer unless Virgin pull some sort of rabbit out the bag

Footie in SD on big tellies aint good :td:

nothing has been announced - yet

Mobes 11-02-2010 10:06

..and i think we all know what that mean ;) :)

broadbandking 11-02-2010 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 34962107)

It will appear, I am sure of it as its a FTA channel, the deal with freesat ran out a while ago, plus Sky don't have a set date for release yet.

Ben B 11-02-2010 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 34962107)

Coming Soon.... ;) :D

Mobes 11-02-2010 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 34962255)
It will appear, I am sure of it as its a FTA channel, the deal with freesat ran out a while ago, plus Sky don't have a set date for release yet.

What i meant was if DF suggests it's here before the WC, then it's gonna be here before the WC.

Andrewcrawford23 11-02-2010 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 34962296)
What i meant was if DF suggests it's here before the WC, then it's gonna be here before the WC.

Hay never know it might be the next one to be annouced maybe within 2-3 weeks ;)

Ben B 13-02-2010 01:00

E-Mailed me today

Quote:

Dear Mr B
Thank you for your enquiry regarding ITV HD.
ITV is happy to negotiate with other platform operators with regard to the carriage of ITV's high definition services. A red-button ITV HD service is currently available on Freesat and a new ITV1 HD channel will be available on Freeview, in some regions, shortly.
We have no further information about carriage on other platforms and can only advise that you look at our website where any update will be posted if, and when it becomes available.
May we take this opportunity to thank you, once again, for taking the trouble to contact ITV.
Regards,
ITV Viewer Services
ds

telecom69 13-02-2010 02:20

Thanks for posting that very useful information, much appreciated :)

Joedm45 14-02-2010 13:19

I have to say that I really do hope ITV HD arrives soon as watching the FA Cup footy this weekend has left me angry with the picture quality on SD ITV