Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   disability living allowance (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=26599)

paulyoung666 01-04-2005 20:29

disability living allowance

i know this has been touched on before but i kinda wanted a standalone thread about it , i had a medical the other week for industrial injuries benefit and for the second time i have been classed as 40% disabled :( , anyway , i have been turned down twice already for dla and was wondering if anyone had experience of going after dla repeatedly until they got it ??? , all ithoughts and ideas appreciated :)

Ramrod 01-04-2005 20:34

Re: disability living allowance

I would have thought that it mainly hinges on the medical and what your GP writes :confused:

paulyoung666 01-04-2005 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod
I would have thought that it mainly hinges on the medical and what your GP writes :confused:

which makes me wonder , if i am classed as 40% disabled now , at what threshold does dla kick in :confused:

purenuman 01-04-2005 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulyoung666
which makes me wonder , if i am classed as 40% disabled now , at what threshold does dla kick in :confused:

It has probably got more to do with how your disability affects your quality of life and ability to do things for your self rather than % of disability.

Just found this http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/

allieyoung666 01-04-2005 21:24

Thanks for that I will let Paul know!!!

timewarrior2001 02-04-2005 01:25

My mother got it first time mate, however with both forms of arthritis in every join tin her body, plus inoperable crumbling discs in her spine and fibromyalgia

I guess 80% disabled wasnt a surprise.

They are tightening up mate, apparently my mother no longer needs care through the night, thuis her beenfit payments are being reduced, despite this 80% disablilty, apparently she can manage without help.

I stil question whether they are fully eqiupt to say that her condition is better than last year. I mean lets face it, although rheumatiod can go itno remision osteo is only going to get worse. I wonder if she will be declared foit to work when her spine crumbles completely and paraylses her, its not if, its actually when.

This gov has ****ed over the diabled people well and truelly and its high time someone did somehtign for their rights and their care, my mother clearely cannot work, how is she supposed to ****ing survive?

Same goes for Paul here, he was hurt severely at work, now he cant work because of it, how is he supposed to live?

me283 02-04-2005 01:30

I struggle to see how they can put a percentage on it. 40% disabled sounds pretty bad to me, and 80% sounds terrible. But if, as Paul says, the DLA kicks in at a percentage, how do they measure that percentage? I admit to not knowing much about it, but I always thought disability can fluctuate on a day to day basis?

purenuman 02-04-2005 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by me283
I struggle to see how they can put a percentage on it.

I don't think the DLA do!

As I said before it has probably got more to do with how your disability affects your quality of life and ability to do things for yourself rather than % of disability.

ScaredWebWarrior 02-04-2005 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by purenuman
It has probably got more to do with how your disability affects your quality of life and ability to do things for your self rather than % of disability.

Yup. When you fill in the DLA application, there are sections on what the disability causes problems with and to what extent.

For example, if the problem was getting dressed - i.e. someone needs help with that - then you need to clearly specify how often and how much help.
Make sure not to understate the problems or to miss anything.

If you want any further help on DLA, you can PM me - there are a few tricks to filling in the forms ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by me283
But if, as Paul says, the DLA kicks in at a percentage,<snip>

It doesn't. It's based on the effect it has on your life and what assistance you need.

paulyoung666 02-04-2005 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaredWebWarrior
If you want any further help on DLA, you can PM me - there are a few tricks to filling in the forms ;)

watch out for pm's flying your way ;) :D :D :D

ian@huth 02-04-2005 19:39

Getting DLA is like trying to win the lottery. It took me over three years of medicals, tribunals, appeals to Commissioners, etc to get what I have now (lower rate care and higher rate mobility) which I still think is not as much as I should be getting. Sociable has had similar problems going on over a longer period. A lot can depend on what the examining medical practitioner puts in his report if the DWP ask for a report. One that examined me only saw me take three steps across the kitchen and from that declared that I could walk with normal gait but with an occasional limp in my left (if I can remember correctly) leg. How can you have a normal gait if you have a limp and how can you determine that it is an occasional limp if only three steps have been taken?

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/dc/dcboa...pics&forum=100 is worth having a look at. This site is basically for professionals in the benefits field but tells you a lot about what is going on. I will let you have some more links when I stick the HDD that has them on in my PC>

Ramrod 02-04-2005 19:54

Any good? :confused:

CAROLWHITIE 16-08-2009 22:14

Some really good stuff can be found here.

Benefits and Work Publishing Ltd
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk
Company registration No. 5962666..

Please remember to take the gloves off when dealing with the DWP they are out to screw you in any event. Already they are openly abusing your Human Rights be subjecting you to degrading treatment as most of their doctors are already bought and paid for.

dilli-theclaw 16-08-2009 22:23

It's just a shame the site feeds of people by charging them for a service that the CAB and most decent local charaties or sites like moneysavingexpert will provide for FREE.

This site is, in my opninion, no better than the people it /claims/ to have a problem with.

zing_deleted 16-08-2009 22:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6N5m8FpVg