Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Catalonia Independence (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705460)

Hugh 05-10-2017 14:48

Re: Catalonia Independence

The US, French, German, and UK Governments haven't condemned the Spanish Police violence either - I look forward to Rod Liddle's opinion piece on them.

Ignitionnet 05-10-2017 14:48

Re: Riot police in stand off as illegal Catalonia independence vote begins

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35919139)
This is going to get even more nasty very soon...

More News coming from Reuters: Spanish Constitutional Court has suspended The Catalan Parliament Session, which had been planned for Monday...

Joyous. I'm not sure they actually have much choice but to follow their laws. This is a political, not legal, problem and needs political solutions.

Julian 05-10-2017 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35919145)

Fascistic tendencies...

German led EU

hmmmmmmm........

ianch99 05-10-2017 14:51

The decision where independence would be binding with a simple majority, without requiring a minimum turnout can only lead to violence. Imposing such a radical & structural change on *all* of the region's population in such a way is folly of highest order.

Ignitionnet 05-10-2017 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35919150)
The decision where independence would be binding with a simple majority, without requiring a minimum turnout can only lead to violence. Imposing such a radical & structural change on *all* of the region's population in such a way is folly of highest order.

You've a point. Only the UK is allowed to have major constitutional changes decided by referendums explicitly listed as non-binding with no turnout or super-majority requirement.

EDIT: Please excuse my sudden burst of activity. I'm on the conference call from hell at the moment and it's melting what's left of my brain.

pip08456 05-10-2017 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35919146)
Having spent years complaining about EU 'meddling in state affairs' Rod Liddle suddenly decides the EU should meddle in state affairs.

Cynical, opportunistic. Rod Liddle is no more credible on the EU than Jean-Claude Juncker and both should be treated with disdain as extremists.

I don't think it's as clear cut as you are positing Igni.

There are many that like him (and myself) think that the EU does meddle in state affairs but with what has happened with Catalonia it now appears as "selective" meddling.

Everything that the EU does appears as "Selective" and purely to further it's own aims.

papa smurf 05-10-2017 15:36

Quote:

good article very credible the truth maybe painful but there it is .

Ignitionnet 05-10-2017 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35919153)
I don't think it's as clear cut as you are positing Igni.

There are many that like him (and myself) think that the EU does meddle in state affairs

Okay, would you be able to provide some examples where the EU has meddled in state affairs outside of its fields of competence or treaties?

gba93 05-10-2017 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35919159)
Okay, would you be able to provide some examples where the EU has meddled in state affairs outside of its fields of competence or treaties?

To be honest I think everything is outside its field of competence.

Maggy 05-10-2017 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35919146)
Having spent years complaining about EU 'meddling in state affairs' Rod Liddle suddenly decides the EU should meddle in state affairs.

Cynical, opportunistic. Rod Liddle is no more credible on the EU than Jean-Claude Juncker and both should be treated with disdain as extremists.

:tu:

Damien 05-10-2017 19:56

No one wants to touch it basically. We for example hardly want to 1) boost a secessionist movement and 2) annoy a major EU government right now.

Osem 05-10-2017 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 35919149)
Fascistic tendencies...

German led EU

hmmmmmmm........

Nah, it can't happen. The EU will sort it all out.

Maggy 05-10-2017 23:02

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41518575

Quote:

Sabadell, the Barcelona-based bank, said it will move its legal base out of Catalonia following threats by the region's leaders to declare independence.
Spain's fifth-biggest bank said it would start the process on Friday to move its legal domicile to Alicante.
Its headquarters and employees will remain in Barcelona.
The board of CaixaBank will meet on Friday to consider a similar move, Reuters reported.
Caixa is Spain's third-largest bank and accounts for about half of Catalonia's banking sector.
This could just be the start..

Ignitionnet 06-10-2017 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35919213)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41518575

This could just be the start..

Indeed. Legally tricky, ignoring the politics, etc.

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:

Thanks for posting this by the way. I've had a look at another couple of pieces of his on the EU. It's astounding how authoritatively someone who clearly has no idea what they're talking about can write. The predictions he makes haven't aged well.

papa smurf 06-10-2017 12:03

i heard on the grapevine that remainers are planning a breakaway state within the UK aptly named Little Lick spittle ;)