Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Catalonia Independence (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705460)

pip08456 01-10-2017 09:04

Catalonia Independence

Riot police in stand off as illegal Catalonia independence vote begins.

The Spanish police have already removed ballot boxes from several polling stations.

I don't expect this to end any time soon.

papa smurf 01-10-2017 09:47

Re: Riot police in stand off as illegal Catalonia independence vote begins

somewhere else where the will of the people is ignored how European of them

Osem 01-10-2017 09:57

I dare say they don't know what they're voting for so if the vote does go the 'wrong' way, no doubt they''ll be given another chance to come up with the right answer...

ianch99 01-10-2017 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35918562)
somewhere else where the will of the people is ignored how European of them

You think that the vote, declared illegal by the country's constitutional court, is the "will of the people"? I am surprised that you take the rule of law as optional ..

papa smurf 01-10-2017 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35918564)
I dare say they don't know what they're voting for so if the vote does go the 'wrong' way, no doubt they''ll be given another chance to come up with the right answer...

doubtful the jackboot has been deployed. Spain is running scared over regional independence and the EU's top dictators will be frantically ordering the put down of the will of the people of this region .

pip08456 01-10-2017 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35918567)
You think that the vote, declared illegal by the country's constitutional court, is the "will of the people"? I am surprised that you take the rule of law as optional ..

Not as simple as that in theory.

Catalonia has it's own Parliament with a President (currently Carles Puigdemont) appointed by the King (after party or coalition selection).

The Parliament, as ordinary representative of the state in Catalonia, they promulgate laws in the region in name of the king.

Ignitionnet 01-10-2017 11:28

This is, in the short term at least, a no-win situation. Madrid have handled it very badly. They know losing Catalonia would cause extreme pain for their economy and the country as a whole, they have shown extreme recalcitrance in their dealings with it. The whole situation is a mess.

On another note seems for some no opportunity to take a pop at the European Union and other institutions should go untaken. They quite literally cannot support this referendum. They'd be accused of 'meddling' by the Express, two of the top four Google entries, either way.

Osem 01-10-2017 11:45

No so much of a stand-off anymore.

https://order-order.com/2017/10/01/s...atalan-voters/

I don't think this is going to be forgotten in a very long time.

If the Spanish authorities are so sure it's all illegal and the result will hold no water why don't they just ignore it. Is there really any need to beat people up for voting?

papa smurf 01-10-2017 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35918585)

this is the EUROPE of tomorrow any trouble send in the jackboot brigade and beat the people into submission .

Osem 01-10-2017 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35918587)
this is the EUROPE of tomorrow any trouble send in the jackboot brigade and beat the people into submission .

I fear it's heading that way I really do. I could totally understand the reaction if these people had stormed a government building or something but it seems a gross overreaction and it'll harden opinion I reckon.

I guess a European army will come in handy if the Eurocrats and their pals decide people are going cold on the prospect of ever more unyielding central control of their lives...

pip08456 01-10-2017 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35918585)

If the Spanish authorities are so sure it's all illegal and the result will hold no water why don't they just ignore it. Is there really any need to beat people up for voting?

They can't ignore it though as the President promised that if the vote was for independence he would would declare it 48 hrs after the result.

Igni is correct, the Spanish Government have handled it very badly.This heavy handedness may be the straw that breaks the camel's back and leads to a unilateral declaration of independence anyway.

I can see more trouble and unrest ahead.

Osem 01-10-2017 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35918591)
They can't ignore it though as the President promised that if the vote was for independence he would would declare it 48 hrs after the result.

Igni is correct, the Spanish Government have handled it very badly.This heavy handedness may be the straw that breaks the camel's back and leads to a unilateral declaration of independence anyway.

I can see more trouble and unrest ahead.

But if it were deemed illegal it wouldn't matter what the President declared would it. :shrug:

From what I've heard both sides of this have very different views as to legality of the vote and anything which follows from it so it'll be up to higher powers to decide those things I'd have thought, regardless of the outcome.

There's clearly going to be huge resentment as a result of this unwarranted action from Madrid and frankly I can see it escalating quickly if lives are lost.

Ignitionnet 01-10-2017 12:32

Frustration at not being able to troll the Brexit thread boiling over in at least one quarter it seems. There are riots and police apparently brutalising people in Spain and it's a precursor to a police state Europe-wide. There will be consequences to this at ECtHR level if it's as it seems, because Spain is probably violating the ECHR.

As of right now though this is nothing to do with Europe or the European Union beyond that Spain is in both. Weird as the concept may seem for those obsessed with that the EUSSR is pervasive and runs everything this is an internal matter within a sovereign member state.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/934527/...-mariano-rajoy

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Enquirer
Conspicuous silence

The silence from the European Union over developments in largely pro-European Catalonia has been especially conspicuous since Catalan officials appealed to the bloc to mediate the dispute.

In response to the region’s requests for intervention, the European Commission – the EU’s executive arm – repeated that the referendum was an internal Spanish affair and that it respected Spain’s constitutional order.

EU officials refused to engage even as concerns mounted Friday about post-vote violence.

“We will, as everybody else, be watching events unfolding,” commission spokesman Alexander Winterstein said.

Privately, officials are slightly more forthcoming about their fears.

“We are following the whole process with great, great concern,” a senior EU official said last week. The official briefed reporters on condition that she not be named.

Quote:

Even one of Rajoy’s closest EU allies, European Parliament president Antonio Tajani, has refused to explicitly back him and instead called for more dialogue – suggesting Rajoy hasn’t done enough to find a solution.

“I think it’s important to talk on a political level after Monday and to respect laws – Catalan laws and Spanish laws,” Tajani told reporters Friday.

He said he hoped there would be no violence Sunday.

“The rules of politics can’t be with violence,” he said.

papa smurf 01-10-2017 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35918592)
But if it were deemed illegal it wouldn't matter what the President declared would it. :shrug:

From what I've heard both sides of this have very different views as to legality of the vote and anything which follows from it so it'll be up to higher powers to decide those things I'd have thought, regardless of the outcome.

There's clearly going to be huge resentment as a result of this unwarranted action from Madrid and frankly I can see it escalating quickly if lives are lost.

if the majority voted for Independence regardless of legality it would stir up a hornets nest , and if they did legally declare independence how would that affect membership of the European union ,would they have to reapply for membership .

Osem 01-10-2017 12:56

Is there any question that those in the region who're dead set against independence are being intimidated or prevented from taking part in this vote in order to prevent it happening? I haven't seen/heard any evidence of that. Of course they may well decide that voting legitimises something they consider illegitimate and refuse to take part and I'd fully understand that. Whatever calls for violence there have been by officials either side of the debate, it doesn't look much like those being responsible for it are the ones being beaten in the coverage so far but I'm certain it will happen. It'll be interesting to see what happens with whatever results are obtained from this vote. How anyone can have any confidence in the outcome is beyond me. Who's verifying anything? It's worse than Tower Hamlets. There'll be all sports of claims from one side and the other about undue influence, intimidation, etc. It's a complete mess and a very big one that's for sure. The hornet's nest has been stirring for many years and it won't go away any sooner.

Taf 01-10-2017 12:58

How would we feel if a large city or area decided to call a vote for their independence from the UK?

papa smurf 01-10-2017 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35918602)
How would we feel if a large city or area decided to call a vote for their independence from the UK?

like Scotland did

Osem 01-10-2017 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35918602)

Not good but I wouldn't want them beaten up. If it were deemed a legal process then what could we do about that? If it were deemed illegal then the result of any vote would be ignored in any event.

This hasn't happened out of the blue it's been going on for years and clearly whatever grievances there are very deep rooted and haven't been resolved.

If we spool forward and the vote is for independence, who's going to recognise an independent Catalonia I wonder and how would that work out in the real world? The EU clearly won't and will be as obstructive as it can be for obvious reasons so what benefit would there be to the region of separation as opposed to the huge risks/costs? :shrug:

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35918604)
like Scotland did

Yes Sturgeon's been very quiet about that lately, I wonder why. :)

pip08456 01-10-2017 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35918601)
Is there any question that those in the region who're dead set against independence are being intimidated or prevented from taking part in this vote in order to prevent it happening? I haven't seen/heard any evidence of that. Of course they may well decide that voting legitimises something they consider illegitimate and refuse to take part and I'd fully understand that. Whatever calls for violence there have been by officials either side of the debate, it doesn't look much like those being responsible for it are the ones being beaten in the coverage so far but I'm certain it will happen. It'll be interesting to see what happens with whatever results are obtained from this vote. How anyone can have any confidence in the outcome is beyond me. Who's verifying anything? It's worse than Tower Hamlets. There'll be all sports of claims from one side and the other about undue influence, intimidation, etc. It's a complete mess and a very big one that's for sure. The hornet's nest has been stirring for many years and it won't go away any sooner.

There are people from International governments (about 30) overseeing the vote.

Osem 01-10-2017 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35918611)
There are people from International governments (about 30) overseeing the vote.

... and surely what they'll witness is large amounts of chaos which undermines its validity won't they? Nobody could seriously claim this vote has been conducted properly and fairly in which case the result, whichever way it goes, can't be deemed safe surely. :shrug:

pip08456 01-10-2017 13:34

Your guess is as good as mine.

Meanwhile 337 reportedly injured by the police.

Osem 01-10-2017 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35918613)
Your guess is as good as mine.

Meanwhile 337 reportedly injured by the police.

Yup. Let's hope things don't escalate out of control.

Ignitionnet 01-10-2017 13:43

This is worth reading for context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_independence

pip08456 01-10-2017 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35918614)
Yup. Let's hope things don't escalate out of control.

I think it will as it's just been reported by Sky that if whatever votes manage to be counted are for independence the the President will still declare it in 48hrs.

There is definitely more ahead if it turns out to be true.

Damien 01-10-2017 14:40

It makes you appreciate how the UK, including the nationalists, handled the question of Scottish independence. The SNP sought a legal referendum, the UK have it, and it was largely peaceful.

The Spanish government have badly misjudged this. There will be a lot more sympathy to Catalonia after this. Shocking scenes to have people beaten attempting to vote, even if the vote itself is provocative and unwise.

Osem 01-10-2017 16:19

450 now reported as being injured in clashes with the police most of which appear to be as the result of police charges against unarmed people according to the Mayor of Barcelona.

https://twitter.com/AdaColau?ref_src...urope-41461032

I'm sure it isn't all one way traffic but haven't seen any evidence of the use of weapons etc. by protestors so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41461032

Video of police beating people with their hands in the air. Nice.

Damien 01-10-2017 16:22

I've seen videos where firemen intervene, stepping between the protestors and the police, so the police beat them too.

Osem 01-10-2017 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35918640)
I've seen videos where firemen intervene, stepping between the protestors and the police, so the police beat them too.

Maybe they too were provocatively holding their hands in the air... This sort of thing is madness. Can you imagine the hatred and resentment this is going to unleash out there? I feel it will only harden opinion amongst those who want independence just like it would have done here if British troops had intervened in the Scottish referendum.

What's the EU got to say about all of this violence? I haven't seen anything reported from the likes of Juncker. This is more reminiscent of Putin's Russia than a leading member of the EU.

Ignitionnet 01-10-2017 16:33

I am not sure but think the Council may be obliged to look into http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the...article-7.html

However this is really hard to do, due to it requiring a democratic vote. It merits looking into nonetheless. What Madrid are doing here is unacceptable. Not sure what else can be said for right now. This is depressing but not the first time an EU nation has used police to attack innocent protesters and I doubt the last. :(

Just one for those trying to make political capital out of this.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/10/1.jpg

Ignitionnet 01-10-2017 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35918642)
What's the EU got to say about all of this violence? I haven't seen anything reported from the likes of Juncker.

I genuinely hadn't seen this post when I posted the one above...

pip08456 01-10-2017 16:39

Quite and Article 2 referred to in Article 7 states

Quote:

The Union is founded on the values of respect for human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rule of law and respect for human rights, including the rights of persons belonging to minorities. These values are common to the Member States in a society in which pluralism, non-discrimination, tolerance, justice, solidarity and equality between women and men prevail.

Osem 01-10-2017 16:51

The legality of the right to have this vote is disputed by both sides so where does that leave things? If the people there decide they want out of Spain and it's legal for them to do that then that's up to them. I couldn't care less just like I don't care what they think about Brexit which plenty of Eurocrats and national PM's/foreign ministers have had their say about despite not interfering in the affairs of a member state. If it's deemed illegal then they clearly don't have that right even though they might desperately want it and keep on trying to challenge or change the law until they get what they want. Beating up these people isn't the way to resolve any of this, IMHO in fact it makes the likelihood of what Madrid fears worse. God only knows what's going to happen when night falls. I can see fatalities, including police, if they don't exercise some restraint. Somebody needs to get on the phone to Madrid and get them to stop this.

Just seen, on Sky News, images of a middle aged guy hit with a baton from behind whilst standing with his hands in the air doing nothing! These people aren't violent thugs, from what I've seen they're not even armed or retaliating. The trouble is there will be those who'll seek reprisals for all of this and they'll probably include some who want to incite trouble for very different reasons.

According to Sky News the Spanish government is now claiming their response is proportional yet none of the reports I've seen have mentioned anything other than the fact those on the streets have been peaceful and unarmed. Apparently the police drafted in have been using rubber bullets which are illegal in Catalonia. Maybe that law doesn't matter either though...

Interesting to hear on Sky that the Labour and Lib-Dem leaders are now demanding the PM and Foreign Secretary to 'intervene' in the affairs of another EU state when it's such bad form to do so apparently. According to John Craig, Cable wants Spain's ambassador called in and told it's completely unacceptable and Corbyn wants May to 'intervene to end the violence and find a political solution'...

pip08456 01-10-2017 18:02

It matters not what we think of the legality of the Referendum. It matters what the Catalans think of it.

Osem 01-10-2017 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35918656)
It matters not what we think of the legality of the Referendum. It matters what the Catalans think of it.

Well if the rest of the world deems the whole thing illegal then who'll recognise an independent Catalonia? The EU won't. Of course the Catalans may not want to accept any 'final' legal opinion if it doesn't go their way and there's nothing anyone can do about that but I don't see how they can just go it alone unless they want to be like North Korea.

pip08456 01-10-2017 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35918662)
Well if the rest of the world deems the whole thing illegal then who'll recognise an independent Catalonia? The EU won't. Of course the Catalans may not want to accept any 'final' legal opinion if it doesn't go their way and there's nothing anyone can do about that but I don't see how they can just go it alone.

Have you forgotten about Rhodesia?

An interesting article on the possible economic impact.

Link

Osem 01-10-2017 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35918666)
Have you forgotten about Rhodesia?

An interesting article on the possible economic impact.

Link

Not sure what your point is about Rhodesia but I don't think the Catalans would want to go that way. It seems to me that their main aim is to be better off, not a basket case pariah economy cut off from the EU. If the UK supposedly can't survive outside the EU I doubt Catalonia can. If this is more of an emotive issue about their own national identity etc. however then I can see things getting nasty because they won't be thinking rationally.

adzii_nufc 01-10-2017 20:11

Spain really have got this horribly wrong. It was easier to just let it unfold and cry about the legal basis. They've instead forcibly attempted to block a vote and started beating up voters, genius.

Osem 01-10-2017 20:16

Over 750 injured now. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41461032

What Corbyn, Sturgeon and Cable think about it:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/jeremy-corb...olence-1641471

Not worried about 'intervening' in Spain's affairs evidently and if the EU grandees still are they shouldn't be. For once I agree with Corbyn - it is appalling!

pip08456 01-10-2017 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35918669)
Not sure what your point is about Rhodesia but I don't think the Catalans would want to go that way. It seems to me that their main aim is to be better off, not a basket case pariah economy cut off from the EU. If the UK supposedly can't survive outside the EU I doubt Catalonia can. If this is more of an emotive issue about their own national identity etc. however then I can see things getting nasty because they won't be thinking rationally.

Britain, the Commonwealth and the United Nations all deemed Rhodesia's UDI illegal, and economic sanctions, the first in the UN's history, were imposed on the breakaway colony. Amid near-complete international isolation, Rhodesia continued as an unrecognised state with the assistance of South Africa and Portugal.

adzii_nufc 01-10-2017 21:52

Quote:

President Puigdemont just announced that the article 4.4 of the Referendum Law will be applied. Expect a declaration of independence
Quote:

In case you're wondering, Catalonia's referendum law says if there are more Yes votes than No's, the Parliament will declare Catalonia's independence.

Osem 01-10-2017 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35918687)
Britain, the Commonwealth and the United Nations all deemed Rhodesia's UDI illegal, and economic sanctions, the first in the UN's history, were imposed on the breakaway colony. Amid near-complete international isolation, Rhodesia continued as an unrecognised state with the assistance of South Africa and Portugal.

Oh I see but look how that turned out for them. Is that what the Catalans want do you think - to be Europe's Zimbabwe? That'd be better than the status quo? Maybe the they'll consider Zimbabwe's plight at some point and decide that going it alone isn't such a good idea after all. Obviously I have no more idea than you about what's going to happen but I'm hoping those in positions of power on both sides are thinking this through because they're unleashing very powerful forces which can't easily be reversed and it could very easily adversely affect all of us within or without the EU.

pip08456 01-10-2017 22:52

No I don't want it to become another Rhodesia but there was a direct correlation
in that both independence declarations were deemed illegal (expect an announcement about Catalonia's).

The difference here is that Rhodesia was a commonwealth country rather than a state in a country and at the time we we still were classed as a world power and had a lot more clout with the UN back then.

Catalonia is playing a very dangerous game here which could potentially end up sparking a civil war in Spain with the possibility of the Basque region siding with Catalonia.

I'm fully expecting independence being declared tomorrow if not then definitely on Tuesday.

Link

Also

This

pip08456 02-10-2017 01:44

latest

Osem 02-10-2017 08:00

Well it looks like things didn't escalate over night which is a very good thing.

@ Pip - I didn't say you wanted Catalonia wanted to be another Zimbabwe, I askedif you thought the Catalans would want it to be . I'm still confused as to their reasoning for all of this given that I still can't see how they can hope to come out of this financially better off than they've gone into it. Of course they may value their independence from Spain more highly than that. IIRC they want to remain part of the EU but I'm sure the Spanish would have something to say about that and I believe they'd have to start the process from scratch so that could take many years. :shrug:

I can't see how their leaders can seriously claim this 'result' is valid given all the uncertainty caused by the police intervention in matters which is no doubt why Madrid chose to do it. I still think they should have just let them get on with it then challenged the legality through whatever courts would ultimately decide and such matters. Both sides seem to be playing a very dangerous game but nobody I've heard thus far seems to be supportive of the way in which Madrid has responded and the Prime Minister's comments that the police acted with 'calm' are frankly laughable unless the Spanish govt. has an entirely different interpretation of the word.

Anyway, if they've acted with this level of aggression to try to prevent the vote God only knows what they'll do if a declaration of independence is made? Will they try to arrest the Catalan leaders? :shrug:

Damien 02-10-2017 08:48

Hopefully it remains calm for now but I think the Spanish authorities have given the Catalan independence cause a massive boost and that won't go away. They should have ignored the vote which, having been 'illegal', would have been treated by many as a juvenile and divisive PR stunt.

Instead they've given the Catalan cause a massive boost and more public sympathy across Europe and the World. It's unbelievable how they, a modern first world democracy, have acted. They should be ashamed at the images that have been broadcast around the world. The Spanish Prime Minster should have resigned over it.

Can you imagine if we had acted like that against Scotland? It probably wouldn't have happened as the SNP mostly shunned such a stunt and sought a legal democratic vote which Westminister in turn granted but if we had sent riot police to beat people trying to vote then Independence in Scotland would surely be a foregone conclusion and rightly so.

Osem 02-10-2017 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35918718)
Hopefully it remains calm for now but I think the Spanish authorities have given the Catalan independence cause a massive boost and that won't go away. They should have ignored the vote which, having been 'illegal', would have been treated by many as a juvenile and divisive PR stunt.

Instead they've given the Catalan cause a massive boost and more public sympathy across Europe and the World. It's unbelievable how they, a modern first world democracy, have acted. They should be ashamed at the images that have been broadcast around the world. The Spanish Prime Minster should have resigned over it.

Can you imagine if we had acted like that against Scotland? It probably wouldn't have happened as the SNP mostly shunned such a stunt and sought a legal democratic vote which Westminister in turn granted but if we had sent riot police to beat people trying to vote then Independence in Scotland would surely be a foregone conclusion and rightly so.

:tu:

I really can't see why Madrid felt this was an appropriate option but as it is the whole world is now aware of the situation and in terms of PR, the Spanish have done themselves no good at all and the Eurocrats still don't seem to be saying much about anything. I recall Juncker commenting on post Brexit hate crimes against Polish migrants in the UK so why he feels he can't say something about this (presuming he still hasn't) is beyond me.

https://euobserver.com/political/139230

:shrug:

Ignitionnet 02-10-2017 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35918723)
I recall Juncker commenting on post Brexit hate crimes against Polish migrants in the UK so why he feels he can't say something about this (presuming he still hasn't) is beyond me.

That's not an internal UK matter, this is an internal Spanish matter.

It's very difficult. On the one hand the usual suspects complain about EU leaders and institutions 'meddling' in Catalonia:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...European-Union

Quote:

‘Those are the rules’ Meddling EU bosses try to HALT Catalan referendum with threats

MEDDLING European Union officials continue to bury their nose into domestic affairs as the Catalan government pushes forward with its plans for an independence referendum on leaving Spain.
On the other hand those same usual suspects complain about the EU not getting involved.

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/914449418446917637

I would mention Dan Hannan's response to her, which was also shredded, but as seems the in-thing for him now he deleted it and Politwoops hasn't caught up yet.

https://www.politwoops.eu/p/unknown/DanielJHannan/

Everyone's favourite Belgian, Guy Verhofstadt, has made some comments.

Quote:

I don't want to interfere in the domestic issues of Spain but I absolutely condemn what happened today in Catalonia.

On one hand, the separatist parties went forward with a so-called referendum that was forbidden by the Constitutional Court, knowing all too well that only a minority would participate as 60 % of the Catalans are against separation.

And on the other hand - even when based on court decisions - the use of disproportionate violence to stop this.

In the European Union we try to find solutions through political dialogue and with respect for the constitutional order as enshrined in the Treaties, especially in art. 4.

It's high time for de-escalation. Only a negotiated solution in which all political parties, including the opposition in the Catalan Parliament, are involved and with respect for the Constitutional and legal order of the country, is the way forward.
There must be consequences for Spain regarding this. It shouldn't be a shock to anyone that the European Union is taking its time over formulating a response.

Osem 03-10-2017 10:17

Quote:

A general strike threatens to bring large areas of Catalonia to a standstill, following the Spanish region's disputed referendum.
The strike was called by Catalan trade unions and associations due to "the grave violation of rights and freedoms" seen during Sunday's ballot.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41479048

Was listening to this on the world service earlier and it certainly seems as though the appalling reaction of Madrid towards those who were trying to vote has indeed united many people on both sides of the argument in that region.

The fact that there haven't been angry reprisals says a lot about the people involved and only serves to further highlight the difference between their approach and Madrid's. Let's all hope the violence has ended.

richard s 04-10-2017 19:58

Beware Big Brother is Beating You... As for the limp EU the only comment from them will be to condone any violence.

Mick 05-10-2017 13:25

Latest From Reuters News Agency: Spanish Prime Minister Rajoy, has called on Catalonia President to abandon his plans for Independence to avoid "Greater Evils".

pip08456 05-10-2017 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35919121)
Latest From Reuters News Agency: Spanish Prime Minister Rajoy, has called on Catalonia President to abandon his plans for Independence to avoid "Greater Evils".

Still looks like independence will be declared as early as Monday.

Mick 05-10-2017 13:31

I am just wondering what he means by the term, "Greater evils", is this more police brutality via a Spanish government declaring martial law ?

Damien 05-10-2017 13:37

Civil war?

Ignitionnet 05-10-2017 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35919023)
Beware Big Brother is Beating You... As for the limp EU the only comment from them will be to condone any violence.

You mean condemn, right?

So as it turns out despite being the superstate EUSSR controlling everything about member states and leaving them zero sovereignty the EU don't actually have any competency in this.

While the Treaty of Lisbon makes references to consequences there doesn't appear to be any legal basis - it's an aspiration only.

Internal Spanish matter to be attended to according to their own sovereign laws and constitution. EU can express dismay and nothing else. As with everything else they're law-bound and there are a bunch of processes to follow.

pip08456 05-10-2017 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35919126)
Civil war?

That is what I foresee as the biggest risk if they go ahead. Will the Basques ally with them?

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35919132)
You mean condemn, right?

So as it turns out despite being the superstate EUSSR controlling everything about member states and leaving them zero sovereignty the EU don't actually have any competency in this.

While the Treaty of Lisbon makes references to consequences there doesn't appear to be any legal basis - it's an aspiration only.

Internal Spanish matter to be attended to according to their own sovereign laws and constitution. EU can express dismay and nothing else. As with everything else they're law-bound and there are a bunch of processes to follow.

e.g. Useless so why have them?

papa smurf 05-10-2017 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35919132)
You mean condemn, right?

The EU IS incompetent :tu: thanks for the heads up

Mick 05-10-2017 14:23

This is going to get even more nasty very soon...

More News coming from Reuters: Spanish Constitutional Court has suspended The Catalan Parliament Session, which had been planned for Monday...

Ignitionnet 05-10-2017 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35919133)
e.g. Useless so why have them?

I have no idea why those provisions are there. Best guess because if they do become EU competencies the provisions are ready to permit taking action.

You'd need to ask whomever drafted those articles what they had in mind. I fully imagine there are a few things in Lisbon that are redundant and no-one found them concerning enough to amend them.

One thing that couldn't be said about the European Union is that they aren't bureaucratic - they are bureaucratic to a fault but it's probably the only way to do what they do. :)

heero_yuy 05-10-2017 14:39

Re: Catalonia Independence

Quote:

After watching the horrible footage of the Spanish goons and thugs beating up voters, I waited for a few words of condemnation from the European Union.

I waited and I waited. None came.

Indeed, the EU pledged its support for Spain’s Prime Minister and insisted the referendum was illegal.

Not a word of criticism.

Not much the EU does these days shocks me. But this really shocked me.
That it could tacitly approve of such violence against its own citizens who wanted only self-determination.

And yet I was wrong to be shocked, I suppose.

Because over the years the EU has shown a truly fascistic ruthlessness in persecuting those who disagree with its objectives.
Rod Liddle's piece

Ignitionnet 05-10-2017 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35919145)

Having spent years complaining about EU 'meddling in state affairs' Rod Liddle suddenly decides the EU should meddle in state affairs.

Cynical, opportunistic. Rod Liddle is no more credible on the EU than Jean-Claude Juncker and both should be treated with disdain as extremists.

Hugh 05-10-2017 14:48

The US, French, German, and UK Governments haven't condemned the Spanish Police violence either - I look forward to Rod Liddle's opinion piece on them.

Ignitionnet 05-10-2017 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35919139)
This is going to get even more nasty very soon...

More News coming from Reuters: Spanish Constitutional Court has suspended The Catalan Parliament Session, which had been planned for Monday...

Joyous. I'm not sure they actually have much choice but to follow their laws. This is a political, not legal, problem and needs political solutions.

Julian 05-10-2017 14:50

Quote:

Fascistic tendencies...

German led EU

hmmmmmmm........

ianch99 05-10-2017 14:51

The decision where independence would be binding with a simple majority, without requiring a minimum turnout can only lead to violence. Imposing such a radical & structural change on *all* of the region's population in such a way is folly of highest order.

Ignitionnet 05-10-2017 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35919150)
The decision where independence would be binding with a simple majority, without requiring a minimum turnout can only lead to violence. Imposing such a radical & structural change on *all* of the region's population in such a way is folly of highest order.

You've a point. Only the UK is allowed to have major constitutional changes decided by referendums explicitly listed as non-binding with no turnout or super-majority requirement.

EDIT: Please excuse my sudden burst of activity. I'm on the conference call from hell at the moment and it's melting what's left of my brain.

pip08456 05-10-2017 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35919146)
Having spent years complaining about EU 'meddling in state affairs' Rod Liddle suddenly decides the EU should meddle in state affairs.

Cynical, opportunistic. Rod Liddle is no more credible on the EU than Jean-Claude Juncker and both should be treated with disdain as extremists.

I don't think it's as clear cut as you are positing Igni.

There are many that like him (and myself) think that the EU does meddle in state affairs but with what has happened with Catalonia it now appears as "selective" meddling.

Everything that the EU does appears as "Selective" and purely to further it's own aims.

papa smurf 05-10-2017 15:36

Quote:

good article very credible the truth maybe painful but there it is .

Ignitionnet 05-10-2017 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35919153)
I don't think it's as clear cut as you are positing Igni.

There are many that like him (and myself) think that the EU does meddle in state affairs

Okay, would you be able to provide some examples where the EU has meddled in state affairs outside of its fields of competence or treaties?

gba93 05-10-2017 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35919159)
Okay, would you be able to provide some examples where the EU has meddled in state affairs outside of its fields of competence or treaties?

To be honest I think everything is outside its field of competence.

Maggy 05-10-2017 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35919146)

:tu:

Damien 05-10-2017 19:56

No one wants to touch it basically. We for example hardly want to 1) boost a secessionist movement and 2) annoy a major EU government right now.

Osem 05-10-2017 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 35919149)
Fascistic tendencies...

German led EU

hmmmmmmm........

Nah, it can't happen. The EU will sort it all out.

Maggy 05-10-2017 23:02

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41518575

Quote:

Sabadell, the Barcelona-based bank, said it will move its legal base out of Catalonia following threats by the region's leaders to declare independence.
Spain's fifth-biggest bank said it would start the process on Friday to move its legal domicile to Alicante.
Its headquarters and employees will remain in Barcelona.
The board of CaixaBank will meet on Friday to consider a similar move, Reuters reported.
Caixa is Spain's third-largest bank and accounts for about half of Catalonia's banking sector.
This could just be the start..

Ignitionnet 06-10-2017 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35919213)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41518575

This could just be the start..

Indeed. Legally tricky, ignoring the politics, etc.

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:

Thanks for posting this by the way. I've had a look at another couple of pieces of his on the EU. It's astounding how authoritatively someone who clearly has no idea what they're talking about can write. The predictions he makes haven't aged well.

papa smurf 06-10-2017 12:03

i heard on the grapevine that remainers are planning a breakaway state within the UK aptly named Little Lick spittle ;)

ianch99 06-10-2017 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35919245)
i heard on the grapevine that remainers are planning a breakaway state within the UK aptly named Little Lick spittle ;)

Right next door to Little England then .. :)

Osem 06-10-2017 14:59

Quote:

The Spanish government's representative in Catalonia has apologised to those injured during police efforts to stop Sunday's independence referendum.
But Enric Millo blamed the Catalan government for holding an illegal vote.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41523250

The only ones to blame for the violence were those who ordered it and meted it out. There was simply no need to beat unarmed, passive people up for trying to vote. The Spanish clearly have all sorts of means by which to 'persuade' the Catalans of the error of their ways without needing to resort to brutality.

Hugh 06-10-2017 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35919245)

I would remind posters of the guidelines posted in the new Brexit thread.

Guidelines

The constant baiting, belittling of either side of the vote needs to end. The new thread must be a reasonable and a frank debate, it's impossible to agree on this topic but none of this "he/she is thick" or "you're a snowflake". This is not Facebook or twitter.

These also apply to other threads - carrying on the previous Brexit thread insults will result in infractions.

papa smurf 07-10-2017 18:17

Huge rallies in Madrid and Barcelona over Catalonia

Thousands of people are attending rival demonstrations - one in Barcelona and the other in Madrid - amid tensions over Catalonia's independence referendum.

http://news.sky.com/story/huge-ralli...lonia-11070672

Osem 07-10-2017 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35919393)
Huge rallies in Madrid and Barcelona over Catalonia

Thousands of people are attending rival demonstrations - one in Barcelona and the other in Madrid - amid tensions over Catalonia's independence referendum.

http://news.sky.com/story/huge-ralli...lonia-11070672

Not sure either side is going to just forget this. Some sort of mutually acceptable deal will have to be done sooner or later.

papa smurf 08-10-2017 19:36

Far-right Spanish thugs scream ‘sieg heil’ and perform NAZI SALUTES in praise of the police officers who tried to put down Calatonia’s independence

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4uwXKwnRB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Qtx 08-10-2017 23:37

Craig Murray in a blog post said the following:

Quote:

There are however no arguments that the Catalan Parliament was elected in anything but the proper manner. Its suspension by the Spanish Constitutional Court – a body on which 10 out of 12 members are political appointees – is therefore not due to any doubts about the Catalan Parliament’s legitimacy.

No, the Catalan Parliament has been suspended because the Constitutional Court fears it may be about to vote in a way that the Spanish government does not like.
Sums up the legitimacy of it all.

ianch99 09-10-2017 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35919507)
Craig Murray in a blog post said the following:

Sums up the legitimacy of it all.

I think it may sum up more of what you want to read into it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consti...Court_of_Spain

Quote:

This court consists of twelve magistrates (justices) who serve for nine-year terms. Four of these are nominated by the Congress of Deputies, four by the Senate, two by the executive branch of the government, and two by the General Council of the Judiciary;[4] all are formally appointed by the King.[1] The Constitution sets a minimum standard of fifteen years of experience in fields related to jurisprudence, including "magistrates and prosecutors, university professors, public officials and lawyers,"[7] and must not contemporaneously hold a position that may detract from their independence, such as a post in a political party or a representative position
This seems a better setup than, for example, the US Supreme Court?

You, and a number of others, seem to be missing the elephant in the room here and that it what they are doing is against the law. They may not like the law but that is their reality.

Trying to spin Nazi thugs into the debate is weak but then this is the Daily Mail's forte. Imagine if Wales had held an illegal vote and was about to declare independence, would you and the Daily Mail be all supporting this, I think not ..

Damien 09-10-2017 12:09

Craig Murray is a crackpot.

papa smurf 10-10-2017 12:31

Nazi-saluting thugs attack men and women during independence march in Valencia amid fears that the Spanish region will be next to leave if Catalonia announces breakaway tonight

Far right-wing thugs used sticks and batons to assault their victims in Valencia

This is the shocking moment Nazi-saluting thugs attacked campaigners during an independence march in Valencia amid fears the Spanish region will be next to leave if Catalonia announces a breakaway tonight.
Far right-wing extremists used sticks and batons to assault their victims, who included campaigners on a traditional nationalist march to mark the region's national day.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4v6VXTo2f

ianch99 10-10-2017 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35919680)
Nazi-saluting thugs attack men and women during independence march in Valencia amid fears that the Spanish region will be next to leave if Catalonia announces breakaway tonight

Far right-wing thugs used sticks and batons to assault their victims in Valencia

This is the shocking moment Nazi-saluting thugs attacked campaigners during an independence march in Valencia amid fears the Spanish region will be next to leave if Catalonia announces a breakaway tonight.
Far right-wing extremists used sticks and batons to assault their victims, who included campaigners on a traditional nationalist march to mark the region's national day.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4v6VXTo2f

What is your point here? Just pasting links to inflammatory reports from the right wing press does not add much value to the debate.

papa smurf 10-10-2017 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35919682)
What is your point here? Just pasting links to inflammatory reports from the right wing press does not add much value to the debate.

fears that the Spanish region[ Valencia ] will be next to leave if Catalonia announces breakaway tonight

and that there seems to be neo Nazi's popping up everywhere

didn't realise i had to seek your permission to post :(

ianch99 10-10-2017 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35919684)
fears that the Spanish region[ Valencia ] will be next to leave if Catalonia announces breakaway tonight

and that there seems to be neo Nazi's popping up everywhere

didn't realise i had to seek your permission to post :(

You don't need my permission to post :) Pasting in Daily Mail links with no comment is not really posting though is it?

So you think that Valencia is seriously trying to become independent of Spain or are you just copy & pasting the Daily Mail's muck raking ... Why would Spain’s third largest bank move their legal base to Valencia if it too is likely to be become independent?

papa smurf 10-10-2017 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35919693)
You don't need my permission to post :) Pasting in Daily Mail links with no comment is not really posting though is it?

So you think that Valencia is seriously trying to become independent of Spain or are you just copy & pasting the Daily Mail's muck raking ... Why would Spain’s third largest bank move their legal base to Valencia if it too is likely to be become independent?

why get so upset if it's only "muck raking" you do know you don't have to read it if you find it upsetting that Spain is a bit wobbly and not the utopia that it has sold to the world .

Damien 10-10-2017 17:53

Looks like they’re going to declare themselves independent within the next couple of hours. For all the sympathy they now have and for all the incompetence of Madrid’s response this seems a bad idea although I guess if they believe Spain will never offer them a democratic means forward then it’s understandable.

papa smurf 10-10-2017 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35919718)
Looks like they’re going to declare themselves independent within the next couple of hours. For all the sympathy they now have and for all the incompetence of Madrid’s response this seems a bad idea although I guess if they believe Spain will never offer them a democratic means forward then it’s understandable.

one thing is for sure we do live in interesting times

Damien 10-10-2017 19:17

Nope! He has suspended it to 'continue dialog'. Good for him.

papa smurf 10-10-2017 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35919729)
Nope! He has suspended it to 'continue dialog'. Good for him.

that won't bear any fruit

Osem 10-10-2017 20:35

They'll call it Catalexit and one side will refuse to negotiate... :D

papa smurf 10-10-2017 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35919743)
They'll call it Catalexit and one side will refuse to negotiate... :D

well they haven't up to now can't see that changing

Osem 11-10-2017 10:32

Sounds familiar doesn't it. Maybe it'll all just go away if they ignore it long enough...

papa smurf 11-10-2017 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35919786)
Sounds familiar doesn't it. Maybe it'll all just go away if they ignore it long enough...

or it will fester and anger will grow until it erupts into civil unrest or even war , maybe the president is buying time to get his defenses in place before the inevitable battle with spain .

Osem 11-10-2017 11:35

Surely not. That sort of thing can't happen in the EU, they won't allow it...

papa smurf 11-10-2017 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35919799)
Surely not. That sort of thing can't happen in the EU, they won't allow it...

is there an EU directive against civil war within it's member states [doubtful ] more likely they will invoke operation blind eye and look the other way until the divorce bill is due .

Osem 11-10-2017 15:38

Or maybe that's why they want a European army - to reinforce democracy when it goes the wrong way. :D