Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

Doug P 26-09-2014 11:20

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

If BT leave XL pack on VM will not be paying extra for their channels. Sky have more variety and more of what I want to watch. Will miss Serie A greatly but not worth paying BT for from my POV.

andy_m 26-09-2014 14:50

I can understand calling it Sky Sports Ryder Cup hd, but the length of the dog as a result is ridiculous!

denphone 26-09-2014 14:57

Its another silly gimmick in my opinion.

alwaysabear 26-09-2014 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35731129)
BSkyB signs new NFL television rights deal

Full news

Great news ! Gone are the days on NFLUK with people worrying who will be carrying the games. This is the longest duration for NFL rights I can remember.
Looks like the NFL is here to stay this time,absolutely delighted.:):)

1andrew1 26-09-2014 21:57

Sports subscriptions in five European countries compared. (For some reason, France is not on the list depsite its being the second largest country in Europe by population.)
1. Spain €51pm
2. UK €49pm
3. Germany €40pm
4. Portugal €28pm
5. Italy €14.00pm
Shows how expensive the UK is! Online, UK is the highest at €55pm followed by Spain in a distant second position at €14pm.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/...pay-tv-sports/

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35731261)
I can understand calling it Sky Sports Ryder Cup hd, but the length of the dog as a result is ridiculous!

More like a snake than a dog! :)

Chad 27-09-2014 15:05

Still no real update in regards to the WWE Network in the UK?

Noticed this earlier regarding WWE Network in Canada:

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/5144...blem-in-canada

"According to F4WOnline.com, the WWE Network is facing a big problem in Canada, and is reportedly fighting to stay on TV.

WWE currently has a deal with Rogers Communications, which airs the WWE Network on TV, and The Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) feels the WWE Network is “stepping on the toes” of other channels in Canada, such as The Fight Network."

Gavin-D 30-09-2014 11:18

Virgin Media complains to regulator over TV rights

Cable operator Virgin Media has complained to Britain's broadcast regulator over the way that rights to Premier League soccer matches are sold, saying that consumers are being forced to pay too high a price to watch games.

Britain's Virgin Media, owned by Liberty Global, says it does not plan to bid in the next rights auction but it is affected by the prices paid through its role as a wholesaler of sports channels from BSkyB and BT.

The two groups currently share the rights to the top flight of English football and are expected to bid again when the next Premier League auction starts this year. The price for the latest rights deal rose 70 percent when it was announced in 2012.

"The rapidly rising cost of Premier League live broadcast rights means UK fans pay the highest prices in Europe to watch football on TV," said Brigitte Trafford, Virgin Media's Chief Corporate Affairs Officer. "Virgin Media has asked Ofcom to investigate how the rights are sold ahead of the next auction."

Virgin Media filed its complaint to media regulator Ofcom two weeks ago and is expecting a response towards the end of October or early November. It has filed the complaint on the basis that the current rules are stifling competition.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...0913--sow.html

Mad Max 30-09-2014 12:13

Well done Virgin Media, about time someone stood up and said this, we really are being ripped off for sports coverage in the UK!

Chad 30-09-2014 18:44

WWE Network delayed:

http://www.givemesport.com/508444-an...angers-uk-fans

"The launch of @WWENetwork in the U.K. will be delayed given discussions with potential partners. A launch date will be announced by Nov. 1."

When the WWE Network was rolled out to more than 170 countries and territories, including Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico, Spain, and the Nordics a few months ago they got the U.S. English language version of WWE Network with no other partners involved.

What is happening with the UK launch? This delay only adds fuel to the speculation that the UK version of the Network will in some way be SKY based.

1andrew1 30-09-2014 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35732101)
WWE Network delayed:

http://www.givemesport.com/508444-an...angers-uk-fans

"The launch of @WWENetwork in the U.K. will be delayed given discussions with potential partners. A launch date will be announced by Nov. 1."

When the WWE Network was rolled out to more than 170 countries and territories, including Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico, Spain, and the Nordics a few months ago they got the U.S. English language version of WWE Network with no other partners involved.

What is happening with the UK launch? This delay only adds fuel to the speculation that the UK version of the Network will in some way be SKY based.

I expect they may have decided to invite BT Sport and Sky to bid to market it in the UK in order to increase their exposure and revenue.

muppetman11 30-09-2014 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35732107)
I expect they may have decided to invite BT Sport and Sky to bid to market it in the UK in order to increase their exposure and revenue.

Sky only recently signed a deal with WWE see here

Pure speculation on my part but could it be an extended deal to include On Demand via Sky On Demand and possibly Now TV ?

johnathome 30-09-2014 21:35

As it'll be a standalone subscription i thought it would be on at least VM and Sky?
Why launch on one and not the other?

1andrew1 30-09-2014 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35732159)
As it'll be a standalone subscription i thought it would be on at least VM and Sky?

The cat's among the pigeons, at a stretch it could be included as part of a Sky Sports subscription and no longer a standalone subscription.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35732159)
Why launch on one and not the other?

I think it's a case of wait and see.

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35732110)
Sky only recently signed a deal with WWE see here

Pure speculation on my part but could it be an extended deal to include On Demand via Sky On Demand and possibly Now TV ?

That makes sense, also wonder if the channel could become part of the Sky Sports pack but probably not. Will be interesting to see what transpires.

muppetman11 01-10-2014 09:32

BT Sport in talks with ITV over sharing Champions League and Europa League games

Story

denphone 01-10-2014 09:48

That's interesting to say the least MM.

Chad 01-10-2014 10:17

Was WWE Network supposed to launch on SKY today?

This morning on my SKY+ box the was 2 seperate WWE on demand options in the catch up area. One has since vanished. The one that remains has zero content in it. Usually it's full with RAW, Smackdown, Slam City, WWE Vintage..... Not sure what is going on.

johnathome 01-10-2014 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35732234)
Was WWE Network supposed to launch on SKY today?

This morning on my SKY+ box the was 2 seperate WWE on demand options in the catch up area. One has since vanished. The one that remains has zero content in it. Usually it's full with RAW, Smackdown, Slam City, WWE Vintage..... Not sure what is going on.

I read on another post that the UK launch has been delayed while WWE talk to 'providers'.

Dash: CF noob 02-10-2014 02:35

Has the £10.99 7 day sports pass been mentioned on here?
Available till 27th November.
24 hour pass and 7 day pass may go up after that.

braysoj1 03-10-2014 20:49

1 Attachment(s)
What the problem here on bt extra red button

Mad Max 04-10-2014 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by braysoj1 (Post 35732772)

Do really think anyone gives a ****?

johnasimmons 04-10-2014 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35732797)
Do really think anyone gives a ****?

That's not nice, he was only asking a question

denphone 04-10-2014 09:58

Early morning moods you see.;):D

telegramsam 04-10-2014 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by braysoj1 (Post 35732772)

Not sure mate. I can`t really tell from the provided thumbnail.

muppetman11 12-10-2014 13:38

Sky Sports wins ICC rights

http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ne...tional-cricket

denphone 12-10-2014 13:44

So basically BT for all their big talk have been blown out of the water.

Mad Max 12-10-2014 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35734806)

Yup, looks like it Den...

telegramsam 12-10-2014 14:38

Quote:

Hate cricket so not bothered personally but maybe BT didn`t try to hard because they have their eyes on something else?

Mad Max 12-10-2014 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35734822)
Hate cricket so not bothered personally but maybe BT didn`t try to hard because they have their eyes on something else?

Me too mate, and you may have a good point there.

Dave42 12-10-2014 14:51

and you can guarantee sky will make sure they win the next football rights

muppetman11 12-10-2014 15:00

Quote:

I dare say they have and I'm sure they'll go all out to capture more Premier league football however in my opinion their channels are very thinly spread with decent sporting content , I suppose this will be helped by the Champions League contract once that kicks in.

Maybe Sky have secured these and many other rights to make their channels still have appeal should they not gain as many Premier League matches at the next rights auction.

andy_m 12-10-2014 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35734831)
I dare say they have and I'm sure they'll go all out to capture more Premier league football however in my opinion their channels are very thinly spread with decent sporting content.

Maybe Sky have secured these and many other rights to make their channels still have appeal should they not gain as many Premier League matches at the next rights auction.

I think La Liga aside they have a much better portfolio of European Leagues, and MLS is a smart move given their ESPN branding, but I've always said that their Premier League package doesn't amount to much and I can't honestly see how they'll improve it. Their coverage really isn't as good as Sky and the Premier League have got to consider brand associations when the next rights package comes up. Sky's "preferred bidder" status got them the opportunity to bid again after they'd been beaten by BT in the last round and, given whatv they've done with the meagre rights they did win I've absolutely no reason to think that will change. The only obstacle to Sky getting the best rights packages again, imo, will be whether or not they (Sky) draw a line in terms of how much they're prepared to pay for them.

Gavin-D 12-10-2014 15:17

Quote:

I would guess the premier league given the bidding is due to open up later this year or early next, but you can be assured sky will be bidding very strongly to make sure BT's offering remains low

muppetman11 12-10-2014 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35734835)
I think La Liga aside they have a much better portfolio of European Leagues, and MLS is a smart move given their ESPN branding, but I've always said that their Premier League package doesn't amount to much and I can't honestly see how they'll improve it. Their coverage really isn't as good as Sky and the Premier League have got to consider brand associations when the next rights package comes up. Sky's "preferred bidder" status got them the opportunity to bid again after they'd been beaten by BT in the last round and, given whatv they've done with the meagre rights they did win I've absolutely no reason to think that will change. The only obstacle to Sky getting the best rights packages again, imo, will be whether or not they (Sky) draw a line in terms of how much they're prepared to pay for them.

Your post perfectly illustrates my point , personally I'm not sure how massive a pull those European leagues are.

I quite like my football but honestly wouldn't entertain half the foreign leagues on BT Sport I guess I'm not a die hard enough football fan for that.

Mad Max 12-10-2014 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35734841)
Your post perfectly illustrates my point , personally I'm not sure how massive a pull those European leagues are.

I quite like my football but honestly wouldn't entertain half the foreign leagues on BT Sport I guess I'm not a die hard enough football fan for that.our post perfectly illustrates my point , personally I'm not sure how massive a pull those European leagues are.

I quite like my football but honestly wouldn't entertain half the foreign leagues on BT Sport I guess I'm not a die hard enough football fan for that.

Well put MM........:D

muppetman11 12-10-2014 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35734842)
Well put MM........:D

:D my editing and copy and paste went a little wrong , edited correctly now :D

andy_m 12-10-2014 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35734841)

No, I'm not sure I am either. But your point was that the BT channels are too thinly spread with "decent" content. As far as football goes the foreign leagues on BT Sport include 3 of the top 5 (the other two being the Premier League, which they have limited rights to and La Liga) so it's hard to argue that Sky's answer to BT's Champions League rights - Sky Sports 5, which consists of what they already had, plus the Dutch League and Euro qualifiers - is more "decent". Popular, maybe. Attractive to a UK audience, perhaps. But better? I don't know.

Either way I'm splitting hairs.

What Sky are doing very well is making themselves the home of ... various sports. It's inconceivable to think that they won't continue to be the home of the Premier League.

1andrew1 12-10-2014 19:34

Quote:

I think it would have been hard for BT to win. The global were successfully renewed globally by News Corporation's Star Sports subsidiaries. According to Sky Sports' press release "STAR has been awarded the global rights from the ICC and Sky Sports has an exclusive arrangement with STAR for broadcast in UK and Ireland."

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35734835)
Sky's "preferred bidder" status got them the opportunity to bid again after they'd been beaten by BT in the last round and, given whatv they've done with the meagre rights they did win I've absolutely no reason to think that will change. The only obstacle to Sky getting the best rights packages again, imo, will be whether or not they (Sky) draw a line in terms of how much they're prepared to pay for them.

No broadcaster has preferred bidder rights. If the bids are close, the Premier League may at its discretion invite all parties to re-bid. This is what happened in the last round of bids.
It is quite conceivable that BT may now bid more keenly on Premier League rights now that recent key rights have been retained by Sky. Put another way, the Premier League rights will be worth more to BT than Sky.

devilincarnate 12-10-2014 19:44

Did anyone read this?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ion-tv-4420592

andy_m 12-10-2014 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35734879)
I think it would have been hard for BT to win. The global were successfully renewed globally by News Corporation's Star Sports subsidiaries. According to Sky Sports' press release "STAR has been awarded the global rights from the ICC and Sky Sports has an exclusive arrangement with STAR for broadcast in UK and Ireland."

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

No broadcaster has preferred bidder rights. If the bids are close, the Premier League may at its discretion invite all parties to re-bid. This is what happened in the last round of bids.
It is quite conceivable that BT may now bid more keenly on Premier League rights now that recent key rights have been retained by Sky. Put another way, the Premier League rights will be worth more to BT than Sky.

I put "preferred bidder" in speech marks because I'm aware that they were unofficially so. Nonetheless, they were invited to increase their bid to beat off BT, who were not then invited to do the same. It's clear that they were the Premier League's preferred partner.

denphone 13-10-2014 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35734884)

Sadly the madness will continue and the punter will be the one still paying for it at the end of the day.

1andrew1 13-10-2014 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35734886)
I put "preferred bidder" in speech marks because I'm aware that they were unofficially so. Nonetheless, they were invited to increase their bid to beat off BT, who were not then invited to do the same. It's clear that they were the Premier League's preferred partner.

Sorry I didn't see the quotation marks but both parties were invited to submit new bids, it was not just Sky. Hence why I can't see Sky has any special status.

Doug P 13-10-2014 12:19

Quote:

It does seem very much that way....

---------- Post added at 12:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

Quote:

They said an awful lot about breaking in to cricket in a very loud tone....

muppetman11 13-10-2014 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35734990)
It does seem very much that way....

As pointed out in an earlier post by Andrew it was Rupert Murdochs Star that won the global rights , BSKYB then purchased the UK/Ireland rights from Star.

This link has a little more detail.

andy_m 14-10-2014 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35734951)
Sorry I didn't see the quotation marks but both parties were invited to submit new bids, it was not just Sky. Hence why I can't see Sky has any special status.

I didn't think BT were.

1andrew1 14-10-2014 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35735156)
I didn't think BT were.

Yes, both parties were invited to submit improved bids.

Media Boy UK 14-10-2014 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35735157)

Even if Sky offers less it was always going to go to them - due to good old RM.

muppetman11 14-10-2014 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35735183)
Even if Sky offers less it was always going to go to them - due to good old RM.

What an earth are you on about ?

Mad Max 14-10-2014 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35735192)

Was thinking that too MM.

denphone 14-10-2014 12:05

Quote:

Watch it MB Rupert's henchman are around.:Yikes::eeek::waving:

muppetman11 14-10-2014 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35735204)
Watch it MB Rupert's henchman are around.:Yikes::eeek::waving:

wow !!!!!!! You've managed to construct a post even more stupid than the original one , didn't think that was possible.:D

denphone 14-10-2014 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35735211)
wow !!!!!!! You've managed to construct a post even more stupid than the original one , didn't think that was possible.:D

It all in good jest MM.:D

Doug P 14-10-2014 18:32

Quote:

Agreed,,,,,

johnathome 15-10-2014 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35735157)

That's not how it was reported in The Telegraph at the time from what I remember? In regards to the UEFA rights Sky pleaded for 3 days to be allowed another bid but were denied.

1andrew1 15-10-2014 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35735340)
That's not how it was reported in The Telegraph at the time from what I remember? In regards to the UEFA rights Sky pleaded for 3 days to be allowed another bid but were denied.

I agree with you about Uefa.

Regarding the Premier League, everything I read said it was closed bids and both parties were invited to rebid. This Telegraph article confirms it is done by blind bids.

When Sky won its first-ever Premier League rights it was favoured to the extent that it was invited to raise its bid once ITV had put its bid in. However, things have changed a lot since then but very understandably some people believe Sky gets special treatment. As we've seen in an earlier post here, some believe that even if it bid less than BT it would secure rights.

denphone 15-10-2014 12:01

l don't think there is any doubt that with some rights Sky gets preferential treatment Andrew.

Media Boy UK 15-10-2014 12:07

Quote:

Who own Star - who has ICC world rights?
Who own about 40% of Sky?

good old Rupert.

1andrew1 15-10-2014 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35735346)
l don't think there is any doubt that with some rights Sky gets preferential treatment Andrew.

Regarding international cricket rights, because a News Corp subsidiary (Star TV) won global rights Sky certainly got preferrential treatment! Media Boy is totally correct but we all thought he was talking about football!

But regarding the Premier League, as that Telegraph article states it's all blind bids and Sky gets no special treatment. The situation was:
Round 1: BT won one package, Sky won one package. This was because their bids were not close to anyone else's. However, the remaining five packages were too close to call and they were invited to re-bid. It is possible that ESPN was invited to rebid too.
Round 2: BT won one package, Sky won four packages.
This is taken from the authoritative source Sporting Intelligence

Quote:

Sporting Intelligence
How did the Premier League sell the rights for 2013-16?
By auction. Anyone could bid and Sportingintelligence sources have confirmed that at least three major companies did: Sky, BT and ESPN.
There were seven packages of rights available and sealed bids were submitted in a highly regulated process.
After one round of bidding, BT had won one package and Sky had won one. This means there was ‘clear water’ in the bids for those.
In the second round of bidding, Sky upped their offers to move clear in four other packages, while BT secured a second package.
Full article here.

muppetman11 15-10-2014 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35735347)
Who own Star - who has ICC world rights?
Who own about 40% of Sky?

good old Rupert.

I'm well aware of those facts but what does that have to do with the Premier League rights ?

1andrew1 15-10-2014 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35735356)
I'm well aware of those facts but what does that have to do with the Premier League rights ?

Nothing, we've been talking at cross-purposes.

muppetman11 15-10-2014 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35735346)

Going into the next premier league auction Sky's only real advantage is customer data in my opinion.

Sky knows how many subscribers both wholesale and on its own platform it has these customers are all paying customers , whilst BT also has similar data it can't be as certain how many will continue to subscribe once its channel becomes chargeable.

alwaysabear 15-10-2014 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35735362)
Going into the next premier league auction Sky's only real advantage is customer data in my opinion.

Sky knows how many subscribers both wholesale and on its own platform it has these customers are all paying customers , whilst BT also has similar data it can't be as certain how many will continue to subscribe once its channel becomes chargeable.

Well I shall continue to subscribe to sky sports for at least 5 years ;).

1andrew1 15-10-2014 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35735362)

Sky also benefits from:
- consumer inertia - ie some customers won't cancel subscriptions or replace with BT Sport for some time even if Sky gets inferior Premier League rights.
- a great array of other sports rights so that winning the most Premier League rights is not necessarily so crucial for it as for BT.
- people used to paying for the service, unlike BT Sport where most get it as part of their broadband deal.

muppetman11 15-10-2014 16:04

Virgin Media’s David Tennant TV ad banned after Sky Sports complaint

Story

Mad Max 15-10-2014 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35735389)

Story

Petty.....:rolleyes:

telegramsam 15-10-2014 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35735389)

Story

I often think these adverts are misleading because of the `hidden` extra costs not being prominently displayed. It isn`t just Virgin who are guilty though I`m sure other companies do the same, The same when you get leaflets through your door or inside magazines or newspapers,the small print is often barely readable. I don`t know if anyone has noticed that quite often the small print is written in colours that blend into the background colour making reading it extremely difficult.

1andrew1 15-10-2014 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35735392)
I often think these adverts are misleading because of the `hidden` extra costs not being prominently displayed. It isn`t just Virgin who are guilty though I`m sure other companies do the same, The same when you get leaflets through your door or inside magazines or newspapers,the small print is often barely readable. I don`t know if anyone has noticed that quite often the small print is written in colours that blend into the background colour making reading it extremely difficult.

These companies all know the score but if they can get their adverts out there enough times before they're pulled then they've achieved their objectives.

harry_hitch 15-10-2014 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35735392)

They do. I learnt long ago not to trust the slimy advertising buggers, there is always a catch. Be wary at supermarkets too, if a product goes on offer, you can be sure some form of accompaniment related to the promoted product will go up in price.

andy_m 16-10-2014 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35735345)
I agree with you about Uefa.

Regarding the Premier League, everything I read said it was closed bids and both parties were invited to rebid. This Telegraph article confirms it is done by blind bids.

When Sky won its first-ever Premier League rights it was favoured to the extent that it was invited to raise its bid once ITV had put its bid in. However, things have changed a lot since then but very understandably some people believe Sky gets special treatment. As we've seen in an earlier post here, some believe that even if it bid less than BT it would secure rights.

Who said that?

Edit - sorry, realised you misunderstood Media Boy.

muppetman11 16-10-2014 09:41

Jonny Wilkinson joins Sky Sports as pundit for new season

Story

denphone 16-10-2014 09:45

:sleep:

1andrew1 16-10-2014 10:06

Premier League to sell more matches in next auction?

Suggesting moving some fixtures from 3pm to Sunday evening. Premier League has traditionally increased the games shown each year - last year these rose to 154 from 138 but that still leaves 226 live matches per season untelevised in the UK.
"BT Sport, who have taken the Champions League from Sky, will want at least three packages out of the current seven, and Sky cannot afford to lose any Premier League football." BT is said to be keen on the idea.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-bt-happy.html

denphone 16-10-2014 10:17

Soon there won't be any Premier League fixtures at 3pm and that is very sad for us traditionalist's.:(

vincerooney 16-10-2014 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35735578)
Soon there won't be any Premier League fixtures at 3pm and that is very sad for us traditionalist's.:(

agreed den. i think the easiest thing would be allowing a televised game at 3pm. i think its been shown that regardless of football being on tv or the extremely high prices of tickets that people are still attending games. So why not have one game at 3pm? give that to BT sport so they have 2 games on saturday and sky 2 on sundays and 1 on football. everyone happy.

Media Boy UK 16-10-2014 13:15

Re: Premier League to sell more matches in next auction?

Removed by Media Boy.

Mad Max 16-10-2014 13:19

Re: Premier League to sell more matches in next auction?

error, sorry....:)

Media Boy UK 16-10-2014 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35735575)
Suggesting moving some fixtures from 3pm to Sunday evening. Premier League has traditionally increased the games shown each year - last year these rose to 154 from 138 but that still leaves 226 live matches per season untelevised in the UK.
"BT Sport, who have taken the Champions League from Sky, will want at least three packages out of the current seven, and Sky cannot afford to lose any Premier League football." BT is said to be keen on the idea.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-bt-happy.html

Bad idea if true.

Scottish football try that way back in 1998 with they deal at the time with Sky Sports.

It was fine 90% of the time.

But when Sky broadcast an game with Celtic VS Rangers in May 1999 - When Rangers won the SPL at Celtic Park. World War 3 started.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/foo...ier/334094.stm

1andrew1 16-10-2014 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35735635)
agreed den. i think the easiest thing would be allowing a televised game at 3pm. i think its been shown that regardless of football being on tv or the extremely high prices of tickets that people are still attending games. So why not have one game at 3pm? give that to BT sport so they have 2 games on saturday and sky 2 on sundays and 1 on football. everyone happy.

Except the lower leagues who believe they will lose attendance as everyone stays at home or in the pubs watching the 3pm Premier League matches. Hence moving some of these games to Sunday night. The Premier League certainly buys into this arguement and they're not normally a body to turn away money!

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35735578)

I wonder if it will see the end of the 33 3pm games which Setanta televises for Ireland? Could these be the games moved to Sunday to discourage UK pubs screening them?

denphone 16-10-2014 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35735667)
Except the lower leagues who believe they will lose attendance as everyone stays at home or in the pubs watching the 3pm Premier League matches. Hence moving some of these games to Sunday night. The Premier League certainly buys into this arguement and they're not normally a body to turn away money!

With the PL greed comes first as we know Andrew.

vincerooney 16-10-2014 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35735671)

i dont know about that den. EPL is a disgrace admittedly compared to other leagues like bundesliga and la liga but the lower leagues in england are even worse for charging too much for their leagues!

1andrew1 16-10-2014 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35735657)
Bad idea if true.

Scottish football try that way back in 1998 with they deal at the time with Sky Sports.

It was fine 90% of the time.

But when Sky broadcast an game with Celtic VS Rangers in May 1999 - When Rangers won the SPL at Celtic Park. World War 3 started.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/foo...ier/334094.stm

That's a long time ago and between two unique teams. I hope nothing like that occurs again in Scotland or England again. Rangers losing points and going into a lower league after falling into administration has helped separate those two teams for some time to come.

Media Boy UK 16-10-2014 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35735685)
That's a long time ago and between two unique teams. I hope nothing like that occurs again in Scotland or England again. Rangers losing points and going into a lower league after falling into administration has helped separate those two teams for some time to come.

Maybe back soon than we think.

1andrew1 16-10-2014 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35735671)

I'd normally agree, lol, but if they were 100% greedy you think they would televise the 3pm matches and forget the lower leagues.

vincerooney 16-10-2014 15:25

the lower leagues are over charging. newcastle united charge less for a ticket than about 6 clubs in league 2 which is astonishing.

the simple fact is these lower league sides cannot sustain any viable crowds as they have little to no support. So they overcharge their fans to try and keep afloat. its a disgrace really. 20 quid for league 2 football? You can go to hertha berlin in bundesliga and see top quality football in a breathtaking stadia for more than half that.

Thats why id have loved the B team football idea to go ahead. Newcastle B playing at a local stadium for ten quid in league 2 would get bigger attendances at a cheaper price than accrington stanley. in a perfect world these historic clubs would sustain themselves.

But as a country we're very stuck in the past. the whole "but this club has always existed for the last 100 years. they must always exist even if they're losing money!!"

in germany and spain theyre more ruthless. "It doesnt work. lets change it". thats why the UK will continue to lag behind.

alwaysabear 16-10-2014 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35735692)
the lower leagues are over charging. newcastle united charge less for a ticket than about 6 clubs in league 2 which is astonishing.

the simple fact is these lower league sides cannot sustain any viable crowds as they have little to no support. So they overcharge their fans to try and keep afloat. its a disgrace really. 20 quid for league 2 football? You can go to hertha berlin in bundesliga and see top quality football in a breathtaking stadia for more than half that.

Thats why id have loved the B team football idea to go ahead. Newcastle B playing at a local stadium for ten quid in league 2 would get bigger attendances at a cheaper price than accrington stanley. in a perfect world these historic clubs would sustain themselves.

But as a country we're very stuck in the past. the whole "but this club has always existed for the last 100 years. they must always exist even if they're losing money!!"

in germany and spain theyre more ruthless. "It doesnt work. lets change it". thats why the UK will continue to lag behind.

The B league was dead in the water from day one. The supporters were against it and the lower league were against it.

denphone 16-10-2014 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35735692)

the simple fact is these lower league sides cannot sustain any viable crowds as they have little to no support. So they overcharge their fans to try and keep afloat. its a disgrace really. 20 quid for league 2 football You can go to hertha berlin in bundesliga and see top quality football in a breathtaking stadia for more than half that.

It cost us £24 per ticket when l went to Torquay with my three brothers to support Portsmouth last season and to add insult to injury they searched us all then stamped us on the hand.

telegramsam 16-10-2014 15:50

I`d like to see the bigger richer clubs supporting their lower league neighbours in some way. Maybe they could offer fans a chance to buy a ticket at a slightly higher cost which is valid for example a Newcastle home game and a Gateshead home game? It could work in my opinion. I know of some people who go to Boro home games and Hartlepool ones when Boro are away.

1andrew1 16-10-2014 16:27

One good thing the Premier League does I've discovered is to share the TV rights more equally than other countries.
"The ratio of ‘fairness share’ between City (£60.6m in 2011-12) and Wolves (£39.1m) was 1.55 to 1 in the Premier League. Or in other words City got 1.55 times as much from central funds as Wolves.

In Spain, where Barcelona and Real Madrid do their own TV deals and don’t share the cash and leave the rest of La Liga to feed on scraps, the ratio of distribution is currently about 14 to 1. So Barca and Real scoff 14 times as much as the lesser clubs in La Liga. That’s why they’re so stonking rich and can pay the world’s highest wages.

In Italy’s Serie A, the ratio is about 10 to 1, in France’s Ligue 1 it is about 3.5 to 1, and in the German Bundesliga it is 2 to 1.

So the Premier League is fair by that measure.

Whether the Premier League should give a much bigger share of its money to clubs across the whole English game is another – much more contentious – debate altogether."
Source: http://www.sportingintelligence.com/...t-next-190601/

---------- Post added at 16:27 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35735701)
I`d like to see the bigger richer clubs supporting their lower league neighbours in some way. Maybe they could offer fans a chance to buy a ticket at a slightly higher cost which is valid for example a Newcastle home game and a Gateshead home game? It could work in my opinion. I know of some people who go to Boro home games and Hartlepool ones when Boro are away.

Interesting suggestion though I wonder what the Premier League clubs would think about the idea?

vincerooney 16-10-2014 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35735699)
It cost us £24 per ticket when l went to Torquay with my three brothers to support Portsmouth last season and to add insult to injury they searched us all then stamped us on the hand.

yeah its a disgrace den. but yet they're charging ridiculous

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35735694)
The B league was dead in the water from day one. The supporters were against it and the lower league were against it.

it shouldnt have been though. clubs are overcharging to desperately keep themselves afloat. surely that should tell us that

1) the lower league clubs cannot sustain themselves
2) theyre ripping fans off to try and keep above water providing no value for money
3) have poor or lacklustre training facilities which hinder development of youth as they can barely afford to operate never mind improve their facilities.

its bleak and you get about 2k loyal fans passionately trying to keep the likes of accrington, dagenham, morecambe, burton, cheltenham etc in the football league protesting strongly. the sad fact is theyre remaining in the football league as the uk is so backward to progress.

imagine top flight clubs with B teams. the youth players who finally get to taste league football rather than rotting in chelseas youth sides. young kids who get to train in state of the art facilities with top coaches for a B team. who then they get experience get promoted and then shockingly would experience EPL first team experience.

instead we get the "plucky" accrington stanley with their 2000 passionate fans protesting progress. the young players train at a local park with a head coach who used to be a train driver. the facilities include a shed and bucket of water and sponge. the

and then we wonder why no english players are produced. as chelski continue to hoarde any talented english kid and let them rot in the inadequete youth league system never trusting the kid in the first team as they're so inexperienced.

These same 2000 angry fans will then call up bereating the lack of english youth. You have to laugh or you'd cry. In germany or spain they'd be wiped clean. In england its a case of "aww but they've always been here". Same old england. always looking back never forward.

alwaysabear 16-10-2014 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35735710)
yeah its a disgrace den. but yet they're charging ridiculous

it shouldnt have been though. clubs are overcharging to desperately keep themselves afloat. surely that should tell us that

2) theyre ripping fans off to try and keep above water providing no value for money
3) have poor or lacklustre training facilities which hinder development of youth as they can barely afford to operate never mind improve their facilities.

its bleak and you get about 2k loyal fans passionately trying to keep the likes of accrington, dagenham, morecambe, burton, cheltenham etc in the football league protesting strongly. the sad fact is theyre remaining in the football league as the uk is so backward to progress.

imagine top flight clubs with B teams. the youth players who finally get to taste league football rather than rotting in chelseas youth sides. young kids who get to train in state of the art facilities with top coaches for a B team. who then they get experience get promoted and then shockingly would experience EPL first team experience.

instead we get the "plucky" accrington stanley with their 2000 passionate fans protesting progress. the young players train at a local park with a head coach who used to be a train driver. the facilities include a shed and bucket of water and sponge. the

and then we wonder why no english players are produced. as chelski continue to hoarde any talented english kid and let them rot in the inadequete youth league system never trusting the kid in the first team as they're so inexperienced.

These same 2000 angry fans will then call up bereating the lack of english youth. You have to laugh or you'd cry. In germany or spain they'd be wiped clean. In england its a case of "aww but they've always been here". Same old england. always looking back never forward.

I do not disagree with you! In this Country its all about vested interest, that's why change is so difficult to achieve in all walks of life.:erm:

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35735707)
One good thing the Premier League does I've discovered is to share the TV rights more equally than other countries.
"The ratio of ‘fairness share’ between City (£60.6m in 2011-12) and Wolves (£39.1m) was 1.55 to 1 in the Premier League. Or in other words City got 1.55 times as much from central funds as Wolves.

In Spain, where Barcelona and Real Madrid do their own TV deals and don’t share the cash and leave the rest of La Liga to feed on scraps, the ratio of distribution is currently about 14 to 1. So Barca and Real scoff 14 times as much as the lesser clubs in La Liga. That’s why they’re so stonking rich and can pay the world’s highest wages.

In Italy’s Serie A, the ratio is about 10 to 1, in France’s Ligue 1 it is about 3.5 to 1, and in the German Bundesliga it is 2 to 1.

So the Premier League is fair by that measure.

Whether the Premier League should give a much bigger share of its money to clubs across the whole English game is another – much more contentious – debate altogether."
Source: http://www.sportingintelligence.com/...t-next-190601/

---------- Post added at 16:27 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

Interesting suggestion though I wonder what the Premier League clubs would think about the idea?

Maybe they should consider the NFL model .

1andrew1 16-10-2014 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35735713)
I do not disagree with you! In this Country its all about vested interest, that's why change is so difficult to achieve in all walks of life.:erm:

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Maybe they should consider the NFL model .

I think Football is such an emotional thing, even changing team names is highly controversial. That's why there's llitte appetite for change.
That's why supporters rarely switch clubs.
Though if team names never change, we'd still have Newton Heath Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Football Club playing at Old Trafford!
What is the NFL model? Regional franchises?

Gavin-D 16-10-2014 18:03

Can sky sports HD be added to my account online through my Virgin Media?

harry_hitch 16-10-2014 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35735715)
I think Football is such an emotional thing, even changing team names is highly controversial. That's why there's llitte appetite for change.
That's why supporters rarely switch clubs.
Though if team names never change, we'd still have Newton Heath Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Football Club playing at Old Trafford!
What is the NFL model? Regional franchises?

I am sure alwaysabear will be able to explain in more depth, but it has something to do with all revenue or profits from the big teams, are shared with the smaller teams.

alwaysabear 16-10-2014 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35735734)
I am sure alwaysabear will be able to explain in more depth, but it has something to do with all revenue or profits from the big teams, are shared with the smaller teams.

In the NFL all teams share revenue that the NFL organisation negotiates. TV Rights , merchandising and sponsorship.
The latest figures I have found show the 32 teams shared $6 billion last season. That's $187.7 million to each franchise.
Each team keeps there own ticket sales.

harry_hitch 16-10-2014 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35735769)
In the NFL all teams share revenue that the NFL organisation negotiates. TV Rights , merchandising and sponsorship.
The latest figures I have found show the 32 teams shared $6 billion last season. That's $187.7 million to each franchise.

Ah, thanks for info alwaysabear, it appears I was way off.:o:.

It would be nice for the FA to introduce this, but I think the PL would create far too much of a stink and would stop it from happening.

andy_m 16-10-2014 21:20

English football doesn't need to copy nfl. There is a shining example much closer to home, and in the same sport. No 3pm tv blackout, competitive and low ticket prices, attendances up, public transport key, sustainable clubs with fan input, regular involvement in the latter stages of the Champions League, oh, and they're World Champions as well.

1andrew1 16-10-2014 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35735788)
English football doesn't need to copy nfl. There is a shining example much closer to home, and in the same sport. No 3pm tv blackout, competitive and low ticket prices, attendances up, public transport key, sustainable clubs with fan input, regular involvement in the latter stages of the Champions League, oh, and they're World Champions as well.

Pretty much agree with all you've said there except the 3pm matches. As only 154 out of 380 Premier League matches are shown - 41% - we don't see most matches anyway. So effectively most matches are "blacked out". I don't know what percentage are shown in other countries, it would be interesting to know.
Certainly, I think the 3pm is unique to the UK because we are said to have a lot of smaller leagues that other countries don't have.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35735769)

Thanks. Is the revenue shared equally between teams then?

harry_hitch 16-10-2014 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35735788)

I fail to see how no 3pm blackout will help improve the English game for fans. I am not saying it will destroy the lower league clubs, but equally I don't see how it will improve things.

I would love see some change in English football, but I would prefer the NFL way of doing things. I don't think think the German model can be replicated over here.

I think, in Germany they only have 56 professional clubs (as opposed to our 92 - that is 36 less clubs) so fans have less clubs in towns/cities they can choose to support. I.E. If Nottingham Forrest (for example) ever went bust (god forbid), there will only be one main club in Nottingham and as such Notts County would probably get more people watch football there.
As such, the 56 clubs should (in theory) be able to have more choice of players to choose from - thus allowing them to pick the best players around who they can develop and sell on, have more fans support their clubs, get more fans in the stadia and as a result, offer lower prices because of it. Of the 56 clubs, lets not forget some of the 56 clubs are reserve teams, and this helps reduce the number of other professional teams from other towns/cities, allowing the remaining clubs to reach even more potential fans from their town/city.

If the lower league English clubs could consistently afford to offer lower prices, I am sure they would.

As far as I am aware, the German FA are not held to ransom by a PL equivalent either.

This (in my eyes) is ultimately the problem, the PL is too big and the clubs/players too greedy. They could easily afford to share the TV wealth and still lower tickets prices, but they want to throw money at plenty very average players from around the world, so they can sell their product in more countries. I have no problem with the best players coming over, but it's the average players earning a fortune which annoy me the most. If Newcastle (for example) can not find English players who are equally as good as some of their current 1st team players, I will be a monkeys uncle.

I fully agree with fan input though, just look at how well Swansea have done because of it. Clubs should be about the fans, and not the owners plaything.

Superblade7 17-10-2014 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35735710)

I'd somewhat disagree with you there vince. The England team has really gone downhill since the beginning of the Premier League. The problem is that it's now the Premier League that control English Football rather than the FA or Football league resulting in it being all about ever-increasing their revenues.

The only way you will ever improve the England team again would be to re-introduce some form of quota system to say that each Premier League team has to have say 5 English players in their starting 11. Getting English players playing regularly for the top clubs is the only way to save the England team.

You only have to look at the top European teams such as Germany, Spain and Italy and most of their first 11 are made up of players from the top two or three clubs within their country. When you look at the top 3 Premier League teams, I think you'd struggle to make up an England 11 and it was only a few years ago when Arsenal didn't have a single English player in their team.

The B Team idea would have destroyed the Football League. You'd have ended up with a situation under the proposal where the Premier League B teams, due to the resources available, would have ended up finishing in the top 10 places in League 1 but couldn't have got promoted. So you could have ended up with a weird scenario where the team finishing 11th would then be promoted to the Championship?

Also, would the B Team idea have helped the England Team? Many of the top clubs bring across young kids from overseas at the ages of 11/12 so they can qualify under the current 'home grown' rule. Would these have then been eligible to play in the B Teams and if so, again to the detriment of the England team.

So yes, we probably have the best and most exciting league in the world which draws all the top players but has an impact on the England team.

andy_m 17-10-2014 06:44

The 3pm blackout thing has been tested through the European Courts. We are one of a hand full of countries which operates it. There is no evidence to suggest it impacts on attendances in any of the countries which don't.

alwaysabear 17-10-2014 07:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35735802)
Pretty much agree with all you've said there except the 3pm matches. As only 154 out of 380 Premier League matches are shown - 41% - we don't see most matches anyway. So effectively most matches are "blacked out". I don't know what percentage are shown in other countries, it would be interesting to know.
Certainly, I think the 3pm is unique to the UK because we are said to have a lot of smaller leagues that other countries don't have.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Thanks. Is the revenue shared equally between teams then?

Yes, each team has an equal share of the $6billion.