Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : SuperHub as a 5GHz access point with seperate DHCP server (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686949)

GavChap 12-04-2012 13:15

SuperHub as a 5GHz access point with seperate DHCP server

I'm currently on the old 50Mb modem (VMNG300?), and I also have an old SuperHub.

This sounds more complicated than it probably is, but I'd like to use the SuperHub as a 5GHz access point, and my old 2.4GHz N router as an access point and the DHCP server for the LAN, is this possible, or am I better off getting a dual radio router and keeping the old modem?

kornell 12-04-2012 13:48

Re: SuperHub as a 5GHz access point with seperate DHCP server

You're allowed to use only one modem.

GavChap 12-04-2012 14:26

Well obviously. Currently it's connected like this:

Modem -> Router -> Wired / Wireless

I want to do:

SuperHub -> Wireless 5GHz
-> Wired -> Old Router -> Wireless

craigj2k12 12-04-2012 16:21

if your old router will become an access point? if it will run DDWRT/Tomato etc then it will be fine. If not you could always double NAT

GavChap 12-04-2012 16:48

My old router (WNR2000) is running dd-wrt at the moment, but I still hear the SuperHub is terrible.

I just wish there was a good simultaneous dual band router below £50 that'll run dd-wrt

AndyCalling 12-04-2012 19:03

Yes, you can connect your current router to your current modem as usual, and then connect the Shub to your old router with DHCP off to act as a wireless access point alone. You do not need to double Nat, that would be a bad idea.

The problem is the Shub firmware. Most of them came with R19 firmware which has serious wireless crash problems. No-one used this firmware as R20 was already available, but unless you connect the Shub up to VM and get them to enable it on your account (losing the use of your old modem in the process) you can't update it.

GavChap 13-04-2012 15:24

Don't think I want to lose my modem as I don't think from what I'm hearing they've improved the firmware on the superhub!

AndyCalling 14-04-2012 04:51

They've improved it hugely since R19 I can tell you. R19 was practically unusable.

The Shub is OK. There's much better, if you pay, but it's not bad and you can always switch it to modem mode anyway. The bugs will clear up, Netgear tend to take the long route firmwarewise but they also tend to stick at it and get there in the end.