Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered ! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704414)

passingbat 15-02-2017 14:49

Re: UK Exit of EU (Brexit)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35885921)
.theguardian.

That says it all.

The bit I liked about Mrs May's speech, was that if we don't like the deal, we just leave.

martyh 15-02-2017 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35885870)
But if you are playing Rugby .... ;)

OK so there are more complications to leaving than maybe the public were aware of, but many difficulties can be raised by bureaucrats on all sides who see there power being sidelined. The problem with the EU wasn't free trade or many other aspects we enjoy but that there was/is a perception (even if not true) that the UK was on the "losing" side of the equations. Free movement meant mass immigration, loss of control of some aspects of our legal system (sometimes to the benefit of individuals), unelected Eurocrats dictating how we should behave.

I think it's the latter that was a real issue. The UK has a very different outlook generally to much of the rest of Europe and so diktats from the EU were (perceived as) having an unfair bias against the UK. Now this may just be reticence by some to adopt to "new and better" but it seems to be bourne out by voting patterns in the referendum. Areas that have seen benefits to membership or at least not affected adversely voted to remain while others who have seen less benefit and have (perceived) adverse effect voted to leave.

Many things now being raised are removed from everyday life and many will get a pragmatic solution because they need to be solved and politics can just take a back seat. ATC would be a case in point. Planes need to fly, need to be controlled and so on so a solution will be found and it probably will continue to function pretty much as now at least at a practical level. Customs, why not just relabel the "blue" channel for UK and EU source, as long as our end does the same? Of course the politicians, lawyers and so don't like this, it's too sensible and doesn't help them keep their paying jobs and quangos running.

I think this post is spot on .I posted ages ago that in reality when we actually do leave we will probably not even notice much because life will continue pretty much as it does now just without the EU and with our own politicians being able do their own thing and you are spot on in that whatever issues do arise we will simply find a way around them because we will have to ,it really is as simple as that.

1andrew1 15-02-2017 18:35

Irish PM calls for Brexit transition deal, warns against punishing UK
Quote:

Ireland's Prime Minister Enda Kenny warned European Union leaders on Wednesday that any talk of punishing Britain for leaving the bloc was deeply unwise and called for a transitional agreement to ease the damage likely to be caused by the split.
Full article: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-bri...-idUKKBN15U1XT

TheDaddy 17-02-2017 06:05

I'd rather raise up against you tbh Tone, actually it might be a persuasive argument, hand yourself over to the Hague and you'll get mine and millions of other votes to stay in, oh and that's not Billy Hague you're to hand yourself over to either you slippery barsteward

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38996179

heero_yuy 17-02-2017 08:32

Bliar - The gift to Brexit that just keeps on giving. :D

passingbat 17-02-2017 09:23

Is anyone really surprised about Blair's stance?

He wants to be part of an institution where policy is effectively made by a bunch of people who weren't directly elected. Why do we expect him to take notice of the result of a UK referendum, where all eligible people were allowed to vote?

Osem 17-02-2017 09:51

I see Blair still hasn't got the message that vast swathes of people detest him and what he stands for so feels now is the time for him to lead us out of the mess we made by deciding to reject the EU that he was such a key part of dragging us into by hook or by crook.

The people to 'Rise up against Brexit'?

There was I thinking that it was the 'people' who'd voted fot it... :confused:

Clearly Blair and his ilk only respect public opinion when it serves them and their vested interests. Dangerous people.

nomadking 17-02-2017 10:24

Quote:

Tony Blair is announcing his "mission" to persuade Britons to "rise up" and change their minds on Brexit.
Speaking in the City of London, the former PM claims in a speech that people voted in the referendum "without knowledge of the true terms of Brexit".
Same could be said of the Remain side. How many of those who said to remain in the EEC in the previous referendum, knew what the EEC was to become? Who knew the way in it would enlarge, encompassing former Eastern Bloc countries? Any freedom of movement was for WORKERS. Even the UKs own laws on rights to housing, benefits, etc were very different back then. At least the Leave side knew that their concerns would never be addressed, and that the EU would carry on regardless.

Strangely enough, Blair's comment applies even more so, to those who voted for Scottish Independence. Not even the simple matter of which currency to use, wasn't settled or presented.

Mick 17-02-2017 10:37

There is not going to be any second vote, when the first one was enough. People like TB need to accept democracy spoke and the majority voted leave and leave we must of that corrupted hell hole.

And if Marine Le Pen wins the French Presidency, bye bye stinking EU.

Osem 17-02-2017 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35886224)
Same could be said of the Remain side. How many of those who said to remain in the EEC in the previous referendum, knew what the EEC was to become? Who knew the way in it would enlarge, encompassing former Eastern Bloc countries? Any freedom of movement was for WORKERS. Even the UKs own laws on rights to housing, benefits, etc were very different back then. At least the Leave side knew that their concerns would never be addressed, and that the EU would carry on regardless.

Strangely enough, Blair's comment applies even more so, to those who voted for Scottish Independence. Not even the simple matter of which currency to use, wasn't settled or presented.

Yes. The same could be said of the Iraq war which was clearly voted on under false pretences for reasons best known to Bliar and his powerful mates. Maybe there ought to be a mass uprising against that.

nomadking 17-02-2017 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35886232)
How very convenient. The same could be said of the Iraq war which was clearly voted on under false pretences for reasons best known to Bliar and his powerful mates. Maybe there ought to be a mass uprising against that.

There were UN approved sanctions and a no-fly zone, that where based upon ACTUAL verifiable actions. How many decades were those to have supposed to have gone on for?

Sadaam DID develop WMDs, he DID launch Scud missiles at Israel, he DID attack the Marsh Arabs with WMDs. He DID have form for what was alleged. Even if he wasn't at the time, he would've in the future. IIRC there were claims of a million children starving because of sanctions, even though the "food for oil" was meant to deal with that. Where they found? Either that was a fake story or they needed rescuing. The intent was for the Iraqis to live freely, and without fear. What was wrong with that?

denphone 17-02-2017 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35886232)
Yes. The same could be said of the Iraq war which was clearly voted on under false pretences for reasons best known to Bliar and his powerful mates. Maybe there ought to be a mass uprising against that.

Whether one agrees with the rights and wrongs of the Iraq war it was not just Blair and most of his party who voted for it as the opposition benches played their part in it too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...vasion_of_Iraq

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...aq-war-8355179

Osem 17-02-2017 11:09

@ Nomadking - Think you missed my edit to the post you quoted. ;)

Anyway, what's wrong was it was based on a dossier full of lies. MP's voted accordingly. Blair's claiming the referendum result was flawed and needs to be changed for the same reason. A tad hypocritical I reckon but then Bliar is one of the biggest hypocrites of all.

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35886242)
Whether one agrees with the rights and wrongs of the Iraq war it was not just Blair and most of his party who voted for it as the opposition benches played their part in it too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...vasion_of_Iraq

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...aq-war-8355179

I know all that. Parliament was misled that's what I'm saying. Bliar misled parliament yet he has the audacity to challenge the outcome of the referendum on the basis that he truth wasn't told.

1andrew1 17-02-2017 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35886244)
@ Nomadking - Think you missed my edit to the post you quoted. ;)

Anyway, what's wrong was it was based on a dossier full of lies. MP's voted accordingly. Blair's claiming the referendum result was flawed and needs to be changed for the same reason. A tad hypocritical I reckon but then Bliar is one of the biggest hypocrites of all.

I know all that. Parliament was misled that's what I'm saying. Bliar misled parliament yet he has the audacity to challenge the outcome of the referendum on the basis that he truth wasn't told.

Blair knows what dodgy dossiers look like so he's probably trying to redeem himself having seen the dodgy dossier compiled by BoJo and friends.

denphone 17-02-2017 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35886244)
Think you missed my edit to the post you quoted. ;)

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

The referendum result should be respected IMO Osem even though l did not vote for it as that is what democracy is supposed to be about but it should not stop people from both sides having a reasonable and mature debate about it without resorting to name calling and insults whether its on this forum or in the much bigger wide wide world as some of the behaviour during the referendum and since then has been pretty deplorable and shameful IMO.