Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Employment Tribunal Fees Ruled Unlawful by Supreme Court (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705180)

Mick 26-07-2017 11:45

Employment Tribunal Fees Ruled Unlawful by Supreme Court

BREAKING: Unison have won a landmark battle against the government over Employment Tribunal fees which the government introduced 4 years ago.

The Supreme Court has ruled the fees are unconstitutional and the government acted unlawfully.

http://news.sky.com/story/employment...rules-10962273

Quote:

Unison has won a "landmark" court victory against the Government over fees for workers taking claims to an employment tribunal.

The Supreme Court unanimously ruled the Government was acting unlawfully and unconstitutionally when it introduced the fees four years ago.

According to Unison, the ruling means the Government will have to refund more than £27m to the thousands of people charged for taking claims to tribunal.

The decision marks the end of a four-year battle by Unison to overturn the policy.

The fees were introduced in July 2013 by Chris Grayling, then the Lord Chancellor in a bid to reduce costs and free up clogged up courts.

Unison argued that the fees of up to £1,200 prevented workers from seeking justice and were discriminatory toward women and other groups of workers.

Unions hailed the decision as a victory for workers' rights.

denphone 26-07-2017 11:52

Re: Employment Tribunal Fees Ruled Unlawful by Supreme Court

Excellent news.:tu:

Taf 26-07-2017 11:54

Well done Unison.

Mick 26-07-2017 12:21

My old boss used to gloat when these fees were introduced, I remember her saying, sacking staff had never become so easy. I took the smile off her face when I told her that the fees are paid for those staff who are in a Union, like me. :rofl:

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Latest: In the wake of the ruling... Government moves to stop charging Tribunal fees and will refund those who have paid them since the fees inception.

Going to many happy peeps. Although those Unions who have paid the fees on behalf of their members, will probably cash in on the refunds as well.

denphone 26-07-2017 14:12

Its certainly important that one never allows things to sway totally in favour of one way or other.

richard s 26-07-2017 19:48

One smack in the face for the Tory's. Common sense and Justice have prevailed.

denphone 26-07-2017 20:05

Lets keep politics out of the thread for once as this is a win win for workers and not before time IMO.

TheDaddy 29-07-2017 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35909347)
Lets keep politics out of the thread for once as this is a win win for workers and not before time IMO.

How is companies paying out fortunes for spurious claims a win for the worker, for every ass hat employer like micks there are dozens of staff at places like mine on zero hours contracts, now they've done away with fees all that'll happen is my boss won't replace any staff that leave with anyone not from an agency, another win for the worker.

OLD BOY 29-07-2017 13:34

The whole point of the legislation was to prevent spurious claims. Successful claimants got their money back.

The impact of the legislation not only prevented stupid claims being presented out of malice or delusion, but drove people towards the unions, who took on cases that had a prospect of success. However, those not belonging to the union had to fork out money they didn't have and so genuine non-unionised employees were disadvantaged.

While I did not like the idea of a fee being paid as this could result in hardship in some cases, we really do need a system in place that keeps people away from the tribunal process if their claims are unlikely to succeed. Maybe ACAS can filter out unworthy claims, but something needs to be put in place to prevent the system falling again into disrepute.