Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : VM remotely change settings? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33675708)

Chrysalis 09-03-2011 20:28

VM remotely change settings?

VM posted an update here.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...te/td-p/386049

note the first paragraph, they plan to remotely change a setting specifically the ip flood protection.

Am I the only one who doesnt like the idea of VM remotely controlling my router when they feel like it?

Stephen 09-03-2011 20:35

Re: VM remotely change settings?

I don't think they will actually be remotely controlling every superhub but I imagine it will be a small software update to each of the modems.

Peter_ 09-03-2011 20:35

It will be done via firmware I expect and as they are actually Virginmedia owned equipment then I expect they are well within their rights to update the equipment as they feel fit as per the Terms and Conditions, Section H, paragraph B & C.

vmfriend 09-03-2011 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35190220)
VM posted an update here.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...te/td-p/386049

note the first paragraph, they plan to remotely change a setting specifically the ip flood protection.

Am I the only one who doesnt like the idea of VM remotely controlling my router when they feel like it?

Did you sign up as they are giving preference to those that sign up to this trial being able to test the bridge mode on future firmware.

jtaylor06 09-03-2011 21:17

I don't mind what they do with my router, as long as the internet works.
If it can be improved by them changing settings remotely, then that's just a bonus :p:

zekeisaszekedoes 09-03-2011 23:55

Oh, I am so totally signing up for this! :D

No really. I've moaned about it long enough, maybe me and my qualifications can help fix it somehow.

pabscars 10-03-2011 11:56

Quote:

We and Netgear have also diagnosed and fixed the packet loss issue in the latest test version of our Super Hub firmware. We've tested this in our lab and shown that this firmware successfully fixes the known problems that cause packet loss as well as a number of other bugs.

Apart from the pingtest.net packet loss error showing up because the IP flood detection suspect's it as dodgy, what other packet loss issues does the SH have?

Reading this from the link zeke posted suggests other packet loss issues on top of the ones were aware off.

Or have I missed something

Stephen 10-03-2011 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes (Post 35190353)
Oh, I am so totally signing up for this! :D

No really. I've moaned about it long enough, maybe me and my qualifications can help fix it somehow.

What have your qaulifications got to do with it? You would simply be asked to run the updated software and see if it worked. Internally when testing I have filled out and followed scripts and was one of the testers for the superhub and I am still using it without a single problem. Out of the hundreds that probably tested it any small niggles at the time would have been resolved.

However once transfered to a full release there are always going to be a few things that were either missed or didnt appear in testing.

For most people the superhub will work fine but of course there are people that will have issues and some people that find the superhub doesn't do what they want it too.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few :)

AndyCambs 11-03-2011 06:33

Without wishing to hurt anyone's feelings, I think a lot of issues are caused by people not understanding how it operates.
I've had two issues - both of which were easily solved by a change to the settings.

jb66 11-03-2011 08:29

How cone ip flood protection on the regular hub is fine?

Peter_ 11-03-2011 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35191055)
How cone ip flood protection on the regular hub is fine?

The is no option in that hub to untick ip flood protection so must not be used on that device.

Chrysalis 11-03-2011 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyCambs (Post 35191042)
Without wishing to hurt anyone's feelings, I think a lot of issues are caused by people not understanding how it operates.
I've had two issues - both of which were easily solved by a change to the settings.

some issues such as low timeouts have no settings, so without twisting your feelings you obviously were affected y something different.

zekeisaszekedoes 11-03-2011 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35190978)
What have your qaulifications got to do with it? You would simply be asked to run the updated software and see if it worked.

The ability to give more in-depth analysis of firmware performance in a variety of situations most users would not encounter, for one. Poor testing has undoubtedly contributed to the product being released in what several (not just CF members) have described as an unfinished state.

The current firmware "works", but not well. This is exactly the reason more advanced users are finding bugs, and why running with the firewall/flood protection off is seen as an acceptable solution. Asking more technically adept users to be the first batch of testers seems like the logical solution, although your reaction seems to suggest you've missed that entirely.

Quote:

Internally when testing I have filled out and followed scripts and was one of the testers for the superhub and I am still using it without a single problem. Out of the hundreds that probably tested it any small niggles at the time would have been resolved.

However once transfered to a full release there are always going to be a few things that were either missed or didnt appear in testing.

Few things eh? Unreliable wireless performance and unit instability seem like pretty grave problems to me. Seems like you're trying to downplay the entire situation when there's plenty of proof it needs some serious improvement, which I'm more than happy to help with so other users don't have to deal with problems.

Quote:

For most people the superhub will work fine but of course there are people that will have issues and some people that find the superhub doesn't do what they want it too.

Again, some of the problems are affecting everyone, not just advanced users who want to be able to use their own routers running expansive third-party firmware which offers the facilities to maximise the usefulness of their relatively inexpensive home broadband connection without the cost and hassle of a corporate solution.

Quote:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few :)

Obligatory Star Trek TOS quote, nice. :p:

I agree, and I want to help both of those. Unfortunately Mark Wilkin hasn't even opened the PM which provides my details (SH hardware MAC etc) yet so either he has sufficient testers already or is just too busy. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyCambs (Post 35191042)

Which is exactly the sort of thing VM were trying to avoid with the SH rollout. But let's be honest, there are some obvious rookie mistakes in the current Super Hub firmware that should have been corrected before moving to mass production.

Stephen 11-03-2011 14:41

I am technically adept thanks, and have taken part in many trials.

I don't think it is down to poor testing at all, but just the way some people are expecting it to work like their stand alone router isn't how VM envisioned the super hub I think.

Poor wireless functionality? I have had mine running for months and not had a single drop out.

Am sure you would like to help but when testing firmware you would usually be given some scripts to follow then provide feedback. Although in the case of customers doing some final testing then they would just be looking for a bit of feedback concern the firmware after it was already internally trialled.

Chrysalis 11-03-2011 15:05

Has anyone had a reply of mark on the VM forums about the trial and been accepted?

I got a reply saying he wants me to take part and asked me for info, problem is I already gave him the info so I replied again asking if he needs me to resend it but had no reply since.

To stephen I think you have grossly misunderstood the scope of the problems with the superhub.

Some things affect a few users such as loss of ping capability and the low timeouts, some affect more users such as lack of features like DDNS and PAT, others affect many users such as a buggy ip flood protection and poor wireless performance, also if its true the superhub can only handle about 400mbit on its ethernet interfaces then that is also a major problem.

Some of these bugs I would expect to be picked up in trials, they things that are not as rare as made out.

Port forwarding for instance is very buggy, and its not much of a trial if noone uses port forwarding. Or are you suggesting the superhub is not designed to do what alternative routers do?

Incidently if I do get on this trial I will go out of my way to look for problems, I will deliberatly stress the thing, use it in ways I wouldnt normally use it just to look for bugs, that to me would be been a good tralist.