Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : The future for linear TV channels (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33699901)

OLD BOY 20-01-2015 13:49

The future for linear TV channels

There has been debate on these forums about whether streaming and on demand services will ever replace linear TV channels. One of the things that has often been said is that there will always be a need for live television programmes, the implication being that you cannot show live stuff on demand.

Well, this may change your minds!

http://advanced-television.com/2015/...ews-programme/

BBC debuts digital-first news programme

The BBC has revealed plans for a new daytime show broadcast simultaneously on BBC Two, the BBC News Channel and online and focusing on breaking news, exclusive interviews and audience interaction.

The show – to be hosted by award-winning journalist Victoria Derbyshire – will develop innovative and creative ways to engage with the audience on TV, online and via social media – bringing a greater variety of stories to BBC News, and becoming the first ‘digital-first’ TV news programme, with each video being designed for an online audience first.

It will be hosted from London, but will feature regular debates around the country and draw on reporting expertise from across BBC News. It is the first time a daily programme commissioned by the News Channel will run on network television.

James Harding, Director of BBC News and Current Affairs, said the programme would be the centrepiece of domestic daytime TV news. “In the year ahead, on the most important stories – the future shape of the UK, the health of the global economy – our audiences will rightly expect us to be at the very top of our game. With these new programmes, and their commitment to bringing new perspectives and powerful story-telling, we will be very well placed to meet this challenge.

The programme will launch on 7 April. For its first four weeks, it will focus on the General Election, featuring live debates and key interviews.

denphone 20-01-2015 14:01

Re: The future for linear TV channels

Well it won't change my mind as linear TV is going nowhere.

OLD BOY 20-01-2015 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35753835)

Yes, Den, but if you can go to BBC1, ITV, Channel 4 etc, and pick from today's programmes, with live ones appearing when the performance begins (be it news, sport, or whatever), why would this not be better than having to put up with all those adverts, and apart from the live programmes, with the added advantage of not having to wait for a particular time for them to start?

What a time saving that would be!

alwaysabear 20-01-2015 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35753835)

Same here and there will always be live events. I have to watch sport live when possible.

OLD BOY 20-01-2015 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35753839)
Same here and there will always be live events. I have to watch sport live when possible.

But you can watch it live on demand! That's what will happen with the new BBC programme.

If the linear channels no longer broadcast in that way but on demand, it would put you in control of what you watched, when. Why is that a bad thing?

vincerooney 20-01-2015 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35753840)
But you can watch it live on demand! That's what will happen with the new BBC programme.

If the linear channels no longer broadcast in that way but on demand, it would put you in control of what you watched, when. Why is that a bad thing?

But it wouldn't be on demand would it? It'd just be a live tv channel broadcasting on the Internet? Or am I totally misunderstanding this hahah

muppetman11 20-01-2015 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35753843)
But it wouldn't be on demand would it? It'd just be a live tv channel broadcasting on the Internet? Or am I totally misunderstanding this hahah

No your correct , nothing groundbreaking there.

A show broadcast on two linear channels and online , Sky and VM already do this with their respective TV anywhere offerings.

OLD BOY 20-01-2015 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35753843)

But if the linear channels were all replaced by VOD, this would be a step change in the way that people watched TV.

By the time this happens, the existing STBs will all be capable of linking with the internet, and this may well become the standard way of viewing.

vincerooney 20-01-2015 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35753846)
But if the linear channels were all replaced by VOD, this would be a step change in the way that people watched TV.

By the time this happens, the existing STBs will all be capable of linking with the internet, and this may well become the standard way of viewing.

Do they need to be replace it though? Couldn't both just co exist? Bbc has iplayer, Netflix exists, 4 on demand etc? Bbc launched a new show purely on iplayer didn't they recently? But I think whilst that's good for some people they'll always prefer a live tv channel.

Both could and probably should co exist?

andy_m 20-01-2015 15:04

So essentially any live events have there own channels, possibly streaming, and are shown live. All other content is available on demand, and that's how everybody will consume their TV.

Think about what a massive change that is from what we have now, what would be required in terms of bandwidth for 60m people to consume content in this way when 4m Virgin customers can't even watch I player properly currently, and then honestly tell me you think this is going to happen any time soon.

heavyside 20-01-2015 15:31

Call me cynical but I wonder if it's just a coincidence that the BBC charter is up for renewal soon.

harry_hitch 20-01-2015 15:39

How is this different? You can watch a number of live channels via TV anywhere anyway. They are just making a daft statement about how they have embraced the internet. I can't see the BBC or ITV letting us binge watch our favourite shows like Netflix do. Imagine how quickly Broadchurch 2 would be ruined for people who have Facebook/Twitter etc but could not see it all in one go. The ending of Broadchurch would be discussed straight away on the internet and at work the day after. They will just continue drip feed the episodes. Just how are ITV and C4 supposed to survive without advertising? Also how on earth are BBC etc going to film large chunks of their programmes in a small period of time just to stick them online, they have much more content to produce than Netflix. You must also remember there are millions and millions of young families who can not afford the luxury of VOD providers, or the content bundled in with the packages Sky, VM etc, who rely on linear TV. I am in my 30's and I do not see linear TV disappearing in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I watch very little live, I manage my recordings just so I can skip the adverts. I know plenty of people who still watch TV live though.

Chris 20-01-2015 16:05

It will never happen, because it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

VOD is great for people who want that choice. It is an inconvenience for those that do not.

TV schedules are a simple, elegant solution to the problem of what to watch when you come home from work, slump in front of the TV and can't be bothered to make any choices beyond switching it on and seeing what's on the first page of the EPG. To those people, increas choice would be a problem, not a solution.

Stuart 20-01-2015 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35753846)

Won't happen, and, TBH, despite all the hype, it appears the BBC isn't actually doing anything with this programme they aren't already doing with others. They've certainly done news reports specifically for the website and various BBC news apps. They also have parts of programmes where they interact with the audience, although other channels do this.

Don't get me wrong, the BBC are innovative, and (IMO) beat the commercial broadcasters hands down when it comes to embracing new technologies.

That does not mean that VOD will ever totally replace linear channels, and I don't think it should. STBs may well all be capable of linking with the Internet, but how would people who don't wish to have an STB or do not have reliable broadband internet access watch TV? Do you think they should be deprived of TV because you are seeing a problem that isn't there?

Regarding adverts, before you think about how annoying you find them, remember that they *do* pay a lot of the costs of the programmes you watch. If you remove the adverts, the companies are going to need to get their money in some way.

I know that the likes of Netflix are predicting the end of Linear TV, but before you believe them, bear in mind it's in their interest to have people thinking that. If Linear TV ends, where are they going to go? Most likely Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.

muppetman11 20-01-2015 17:31

The BBC have already said they'll possibly make certain content available on iplayer before its aired on linear , Sky already does this with the first episode of most of its shows via Sky On Demand and Sky Go.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see more content made available via On Demand early , possibly even full series in one go that said this is more to appease the younger audience who prefer On Demand/Online viewing than to replace linear.