Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virgin Media Business relaunch SME products (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698866)

BenMcr 22-09-2014 11:10

Virgin Media Business relaunch SME products

You can now get an up to 152Mbit broadband service from Virgin Media Business

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk...mall-Business/

alanbjames 22-09-2014 12:29

Re: Virgin Media Business relaunch SME products

Whats interesting on the 50mb and 152mb packages is the small print.

"No traffic management to broadband connection between 8am-6pm Monday to Friday" which suggests that they traffic manage at night and early hours.

Stephen 22-09-2014 12:42

Outside of normal business hours, but thats fine as most businesses wouldn't be operating then.

DOn't like that new website. Its a bit LOUD!

Kushan 22-09-2014 14:13

Also note that they're giving out a SH2-AC with these.

APS 22-09-2014 17:03

They are not currently offering the fixed IP solution with the 152 Mb/s service though. I was told it may come in the future. If you have the 50 Mb/s service you have to pay for a new modem install too - it looks like it is a Superhub 2 variant.

Stephen 22-09-2014 21:51

Am sure it ws the same last time they launched new services. The Fixed IP wasn't available at first and then the top tier took longer to get it.

ccarmock 22-09-2014 21:57

Previously there used to be a 10 & 20 Mb/s service - but due to the way it was provisioned only the 10 Mb/s service could get a fixed IP address.

After these were scrapped in favour of the 30 Mb/s and 50 Mb/s both could get either a single fixed IP address or a routed subnet.

Then due to issues with the SH1 the service was taken off sale and the 10 & 20 offered again, only to return a year later with 50 Mb/s only.

As APS says it is a superhub 2AC they quote for the 152 Mb/s service, but the last I heard is that the business firmware for that device was still being worked on. So I am guessing no way to provide the L2TP tunnel currently.

Hopefully the fixed IP address option will come as soon as the business firmware is available for the new SH.

Technically I guess no reason why the SH1 couldn't provide a 152 Mb.s service ? And then offer a fixed IP option

Kushan 22-09-2014 22:08

It boggles my mind that Virgin doesn't offer fixed IP services for all their business products.

ccarmock 22-09-2014 23:58

Agreed. I suspect it can only be short term though. I can't imagine there is much stock of the old SH 1 left so business firmware will need to be made available for the SH2/SH2AC, if any further installs are provided with fixed IP addresses.

Now how long it will take for the new firmware to be available is anyone's guess!

Sephiroth 23-09-2014 07:18

... but then I suppose currently modem mode is available on the SH2ac with present firmware. Just when it's less necessary than with that wretched SH1.

Ignitionnet 23-09-2014 08:37

Upload speeds?

Probably not spectacular given they appear to be published nowhere beyond the traffic management key facts wherever those are hiding.

jb66 23-09-2014 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35730750)
Agreed. I suspect it can only be short term though. I can't imagine there is much stock of the old SH 1 left so business firmware will need to be made available for the SH2/SH2AC, if any further installs are provided with fixed IP addresses.

Now how long it will take for the new firmware to be available is anyone's guess!

There is plenty stock left.

qasdfdsaq 23-09-2014 13:11

More interested in the 'Up to 100Mb' for 'From £500' personally.

Kushan 23-09-2014 14:12

If you click on that, those (what I presume are leased lines) start at 30/30, presumably that's the £500 one. Though I know you can negotiate with them at that level, at least.

ccarmock 23-09-2014 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35730770)
Upload speeds?

Probably not spectacular given they appear to be published nowhere beyond the traffic management key facts wherever those are hiding.

I asked and was told upload speeds between 12-15 Mb/s today on the 152 Mb/s downstream service. Also that the product team are working on the Fixed IP option for that option. Unsure why a range was quoted! maybe 12 Mb/s in some areas and 15 Mb/s in others maybe when upstream moved to 64QAM?

I think it is down to business firmware for the SH2AC is not yet ready, that this launched without a fixed IP option

I interpret that has working out how to get the original Netgear options for L2TP surfaced in the VM specific firmware, which is the difference when comparing the SH1 business firmware to residential

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35730775)
There is plenty stock left.

That's a shame! I had hoped they would be running short of SH1 stock as that might inject some urgency into the business FW for the 2AC. I assume only the 50 Mb/s business service is using the SH1 for new installs now?