Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   bbc hd/bcc1hd (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33671302)

cwj2008 27-10-2010 11:31

bbc hd/bcc1hd

BBC HD has been moved to 187, and on 108 now is a slate showing BBC1HD
starting on the 3rd of nov

bensden 27-10-2010 19:17

Re: bbc hd/bcc1hd

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwj2008 (Post 35114110)
BBC HD has been moved to 187, and on 108 now is a slate showing BBC1HD
starting on the 3rd of nov

I just hope the new BBC HD has subtitles. Unlike ITV HD which I still can't watch due to hearing problems.

HDFootyMan 27-10-2010 19:23

Do any series links for BBC HD have to be reset? Someone on DS suggests that they do: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1376285

spiderplant 27-10-2010 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDFootyMan (Post 35114350)
Do any series links for BBC HD have to be reset? Someone on DS suggests that they do: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1376285

They should be fine. It doesn't use the channel number to make recordings.

If in doubt, just check in Planned Series.

Physci 27-10-2010 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35114453)
They should be fine. It doesn't use the channel number to make recordings.

If in doubt, just check in Planned Series.

Ha, just had to reset my Mad Men series link - realised it was not recording just in time!

cupcakes aka dd 31-10-2010 23:37

Just noticed that certain series records such as Strictly Come Dancing and Graham Norton that were on BBC HD have now dissapeared as they are now on BBC1 HD. Had to reset them. Beware.

Moonblade 01-11-2010 09:48

One thing I noticed was that QI one BBC 1 HD is upscaled, but is in HD on BBC HD. Very odd...

arcimedes 01-11-2010 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonblade (Post 35116303)
One thing I noticed was that QI one BBC 1 HD is upscaled, but is in HD on BBC HD. Very odd...

Thats clever as BBC 1 HD does not appear to be transmitting yet :erm:

I have just looked on the EPG and on a quick glance cant see anything marked as HD or upscaled (as ITV 1 does).

Lew 01-11-2010 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcimedes (Post 35116319)
Thats clever as BBC 1 HD does not appear to be transmitting yet :erm:

It's testing on satellite. ;)

bensden 04-11-2010 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by bensden (Post 35114347)
I just hope the new BBC HD has subtitles. Unlike ITV HD which I still can't watch due to hearing problems.

Well as I feared there are no subtitles on BBC1 HD, Those of us who need them, are now worse off than we were before, when BBC HD channel carried the apprentice & various other popular programs we got subtitles,now these have transferred to BBC1 HD we have even lost these. I think this must be a Virgin problem because all the program info from BBC says that subtitles are available, I hope Virgin sort this out quickly otherwise HD is useless to customers like me who have a hearing problem.

OLD BOY 02-10-2017 07:45

It looks to me that the BBC's regional programmes will continue to be broadcast in SD for a while yet, and I view the 'creative solutions' solution as a bit suspect - I think they are playing for time to offset criticism.

Given that the issue is said to be lack of money, can anyone figure out what these 'creative solutions' could be?

Having regard to the time taken so far, maybe they should skip HD and go straight to UHD!

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/10/b...solutions.html

denphone 02-10-2017 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35918711)
It looks to me that the BBC's regional programmes will continue to be broadcast in SD for a while yet, and I view the 'creative solutions' solution as a bit suspect - I think they are playing for time to offset criticism.

Given that the issue is said to be lack of money, can anyone figure out what these 'creative solutions' could be?

Having regard to the time taken so far, maybe they should skip HD and go straight to UHD!

And how many people have UHD OB?.

OLD BOY 02-10-2017 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35918713)
And how many people have UHD OB?.

My point was that by the time they get around to it, UHD will be the new HD!

spiderplant 02-10-2017 11:03

Quote:

From the article: "In a world where two thirds of homes have their main TV connected to the internet, we could look to the internet to provide local content in HD. Alternatively we might find a way for audiences to move more conveniently between HD and SD"

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35918719)
My point was that by the time they get around to it, UHD will be the new HD!

UHD will never be HD, and will always be more expensive. If the BBC can't afford HD, they certainly can't afford UHD

jj20x 02-10-2017 14:00

Quote:

IHaving regard to the time taken so far, maybe they should skip HD and go straight to UHD!

For the studios yes. It makes sense to future proof any upgrades by using the latest equipment. Replacing a single HD feed with multiple regional HD feeds would be expensive and if the costs have to be covered by the regional content budget, what's the point? It's only worthwhile viewing the content in HD if there is cash available to produce the content. It would make more sense if SD simulcasting was to end, reducing the cost of providing duplicate services.

As for broadcasting in UHD, broadcasters aren't exactly being crushed in the rush to bring linear broadcasts to the masses, it's just too expensive. For something like BBC regional content, possibly a step too far.